GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with the law on this, perhaps NBG could answer this for us? I seen reference to future parole hearings earlier, I really don't know.

It will also be used for future parole hearings (which I doubt he will ever get paroled) and no doubt all of this evidence was used when reaching the plea deal, though other than giving him segregation, I am not sure what else they could have agreed to - though that's just MOO.

If the military has no control over whether or not he receives his pension in prison, then who does? Why would a confessed murderer still receive a military pension. Can't he be dishonourably discharged and stripped of both rank and pension?

The CBC's Dave Seglins weighs in on the increasingly disturbing nature of the photographs and evidence read out in court so far:

"As if it couldn't get any worse - there were gasps in the court room moments ago. Many members of the public, victims and families - and reporters - in shock letting out involuntary "Oh my Gods."
At issue: Count # 42 of the indictment as the Crown detailed one of Russell WIlliams's break-ins in his escalation from panty-thief to killer.
The details: A 15 year old in Ottawa reported to her parents in November of 2008 complained to her parents someone had stolen several bras, panties and bathing suit. The parents did not report it to police believing at first it might have been a prank by step-siblings.
But, we learn from the Crown, Williams confessed earlier this year.
He indeed broke in, stole the clothing, and, in photos he took, Williams is seen in five of some 70 photos handling one pair of girls underwear with a noticeable blood stain in them. Williams took 70 photos of himself.
One asks rhetorically - can this get worse? And of course the Crown's formal detailing of the assaults, confinements and two murders is yet to come."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/10/18/williams-court-coveritlive.html?ref=rss

Fortunately the theory and hypothesis I presented earlier in this thread appears to be debunked.

I'm glad that prosecutors do not appear to be protecting the true nature of this , and that his cocky nature is now history.

I pray the victims can heal.

Members of Canadian Forces deserve extra support these painful days.

I hope RW spend the rest of his days tenaciously attempting futile attempts of suicide.

I take my hat off to media in the court room. I hope they can survive this unscathed.

This is going to be a brutal week for Canada. I pray we can all move on in a positive manner after this.

http://mobile.coveritlive.com/mobile.php?option=com_mobile&task=viewaltcast&altcast_code=e18258b498

3:39 Jill Mahoney - From the DND teleconference, which just wrapped up:

A military spokesman addressed the “misinformed criticism” that the military justice system should also lay charges against Col. Williams. He says the National Defence Act prohibits a court martial from dealing with charges of murder that stem from acts that took place in Canada. He says the act also prohibits the military from convening courts martial for offences that have already been dealt with in another court.

Why is DND holding a conference call with the media? Did I miss a reason for this, somewhere? Why would they need to discuss the guilty plea? I guess we will find out.

Once RW pleaded guilty to all charges, they are now able to strip him of his rank, and request that his salary (which they have been giving him since he was arrested in February) be returned. It's standard in the military, that he get to keep his rank and salary until he found guilty of the crimes he has been charged with. I suspect that is one of the reasons for the press conference, to let the general public know what they are planning on doing where the RW is concerned.

If the military has no control over whether or not he receives his pension in prison, then who does? Why would a confessed murderer still receive a military pension. Can't he be dishonourably discharged and stripped of both rank and pension?

From Globe and Mail:

3:16

Jill Mahoney:
From Department of National Defence conference call:

Brigadier General Neville Russell: So many innocent people were hurt by Col. Williams's actions. This was a terrible betrayal of the military personnel who placed trust in him. It was also a betrayal to his victims and all Canadians.

The military will strip him of his rank and decorations as soon as possible, likely in the next 30 days.

3:39

Jill Mahoney:

From the DND teleconference, which just wrapped up:

A military spokesman addressed the “misinformed criticism” that the military justice system should also lay charges against Col. Williams. He says the National Defence Act prohibits a court martial from dealing with charges of murder that stem from acts that took place in Canada. He says the act also prohibits the military from convening courts martial for offences that have already been dealt with in another court.

There might have been a better chance of apprehending the perp in these cases if the OPP had consulted with the RCMP in Revelstoke, B.C. or read the Vancouver Sun on June 9, 2007.

http://confrontation.wordpress.com/analysis/rcmp-officers-face-sex-related-criminal-charges/

Whatever happened to criminal profiling?

I hope that in the future people who are compulsive *advertiser censored*-kissers and Schmoozers no-longer get promoted for their behavior but rather suspected of ulterior motives. Not only in DND but in all aspects of our society.

To me this seems like that common sense lost somewhere that has led to an increasing abundance of incompetence everywhere in our society.

Thank you kindly,nobodyzgirl. I thought the sentence was already set. I didn't realize the judge could adjust it.

Technically, because of the guilty plea to two first degree murder charges, he automatically gets sentenced to life with a chance of parole in 25 years. He can legally apply for parole after 15 years, under the faint hope clause. The likelihood is he will never be granted parole because the evidence is showing that he will likely re-offend if he is ever released.

The prosecution and the defence can come to agreement on what they think is fair and just, though the ultimate decision will lie with the judge and while he will generally agree with what is presented to him, he does have the authority to rule completely different if he/she so choses.

Thanks to everyone who kept posting updates today, for those of us away from computer it is very helpful.

After catching up, I'm simply speechless.

and on to count 60 we go....

Count 60: #ColRW lifted window, but did not enter because he heard the occupants were at home. He left w/o being seen. [via Twitter]

: #ColRW wrote letter to young theft victim. Written in a way to sound like a young man. Writes: "your _____ smells f---ing awesome". [via Twitter]

tells her in the letter that he likes more experienced woman. Says if she tells police, she shld tell them he'll stop. [via Twitter]

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/876884

I am glad that the prosecution is not addressing him as "colonel", they are addressing him as "Mr.".

Monday October 18, 2010 3:56 smithjoanna

Technically, because of the guilty plea to two first degree murder charges, he automatically gets sentenced to life with a chance of parole in 25 years. He can legally apply for parole after 15 years, under the faint hope clause. The likelihood is he will never be granted parole because the evidence is showing that he will likely re-offend if he is ever released.

The prosecution and the defence can come to agreement on what they think is fair and just, though the ultimate decision will lie with the judge and while he will generally agree with what is presented to him, he does have the authority to rule completely different if he/she so choses.

Thank you kindly, again! You explain things very well...very clearly! This case just has my head spining.

The letter also lists all break addresses up to that point (june 19, 2009). No indication RW actually gave her letter found in file. [via Twitter]

He stole 186 pieces of lingerie from the daughter at that home; photographed it in organized rows on bed.

186 pieces of lingerie from one home....are you kidding me? :sick:

The letter also lists all break addresses up to that point (june 19, 2009). No indication RW actually gave her letter found in file. [via Twitter]

He stole 186 pieces of lingerie from the daughter at that home; photographed it in organized rows on bed.

186 pieces of lingerie from one home....are you kidding me? :sick:

On twitter the reporter commented that it was a wonder that she had any clothes left.

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Amber Hildebrandt reports: "The Crown suggest that count 62 represents the escalation in Williams' behaviour. Williams addmitted that at around 1:30 am on July 11, 2009 he stood in the occupant's back yard for 30 minutes and watched her go into the shower and then stripped down and broke into her home while naked, leaving his clothes outside. Crown calls this act an indication that his behaviour was escalating. He later told police it was at this point he wanted to take more risks.

The CBC's Ioanna Roumeliotis spoke with Andy Lloyd, the brother of murder victim Jessica Lloyd. He says today has been hard, but still OK. He plans to attend every day of the hearing.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/10/18/williams-court-coveritlive.html?ref=rss

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Amber Hildebrandt reports: "In counts 65 and 66 more photos are shown including two where Williams has removed what appears to be an elementary school graduation picture and placed it on a desk. There are also pictures of him mastubrating on a bunk bed. There are several items of clothing laid out around him."

Criminal defence lawyer Russell Silverstein discusses the case of Col. Russell Williams with the CBC's Carole MacNeil: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/1221258968/ID=1618543905

Amber Hildebrandt reports: "The Crown describes the pictures as showing Williams' "compulsive organization. " Underwear is neatly layered in pictures. In many of them he is seen modelling the underwear he's taken. In reference to the next count, Williams admitted to police he really wanted to get into this particular house because he knew a young girl lived there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18