GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:
Williams's wife, Mary Elizabeth Harriman, wasn't in court for her husband's sentencing and has remained silent since his arrest. The only time she has spoken to detectives, Nicholas said, was to request the OPP pay for the damage to her hardwood floors from when police searched her Westboro home.

I wonder why she was not questioned????

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/R...d+detectives/3879273/story.html#ixzz16FXpbIa0

quote:
Williams's wife, Mary Elizabeth Harriman, wasn't in court for her husband's sentencing and has remained silent since his arrest. The only time she has spoken to detectives, Nicholas said, was to request the OPP pay for the damage to her hardwood floors from when police searched her Westboro home.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/R...d+detectives/3879273/story.html#ixzz16FXpbIa0

I sincerely hope that he didn't mean that she wasn't questioned at all. Something just not right about that. I know they couldn't make her testify but I believe they should have questioned her. It's good to know that LE didn't just take RW's word for things though. I'm hoping that when they searched MEH's new house they searched the whole house, not just where he told them to look.

quote:

She was questioned. It is in the trial thread here, somewhere, I remember posting it. It might even be in the interrogation transcription. In fact, one of the only current pictures of MEH is the detectives leading her from her home.

He says they're working with police agencies outside Canada to see if any of their cases can be traced back to Williams, who was once a globetrotting military pilot
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101124/101124_russell_williams/20101124/?hub=CP24Home

One of the things they could be referring to here is Operation Redwing.

The CBC uncovered that during the trial and reported it on The National. It has been largely lost in the details, but, if anything comes of it, I am sure we will hear all about it.

It is an investigation by the Military into RW's movements here and abroad.

Police to review procedures after officer’s call at murder victim’s house

Chief Cory McMullan insisted the officer “did an excellent job and went above and beyond what most officers would do.” Still, she said the incident is being examined as part of an overall review of how police forces that worked on the Williams case conducted the investigation.

“We are reviewing to see if there is anything that could have been done differently,” McMullan said in a telephone interview Wednesday, when asked about the officer knocking on the door.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...after-officer-s-call-at-murder-victim-s-house

Police to review procedures after officer’s call at murder victim’s house

Still can't get my head around the fact that the officer made a note of the auto but did not take down the plate #.. I would think that she was with the OPP because I believe that highway would come under their jurisdiction not the Belleville police. What could have been if that had happened but then we don't know what RW would have done if he had noticed her around his car. Maybe she would have been his victim.

At the time the police officer saw the SUV in the field, there wasn't even a crime that had occurred. Frankly, I find it amazing that she even went to the trouble of knocking on Jessica's door based on a vehicle in a field adjacent to the house. As Insp. Nicholas said, this is not that unusual a sight in farm country.

IMO, this officer should feel ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT and is to be commended for having cared enough to check in the first place. I trust she will receive all the support available to her, and I hope she gets a zillion hugs.

At the time the police officer saw the SUV in the field, there wasn't even a crime that had occurred. Frankly, I find it amazing that she even went to the trouble of knocking on Jessica's door based on a vehicle in a field adjacent to the house. As Insp. Nicholas said, this is not that unusual a sight in farm country.

IMO, this officer should feel ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT and is to be commended for having cared enough to check in the first place. I trust she will receive all the support available to her, and I hope she gets a zillion hugs.

I totally agree.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/11/24/16305141.html
Williams - thinking the female cop was Lloyd, Nicholas said - watched as she knocked on the door of Lloyd's home. Finding it secure and empty, she turned her attention to the unoccupied Nissan Pathfinder.

Nothing was amiss, but she jotted down what would become a valuable description of the SUV. When she learned Lloyd had vanished, she immediately told her bosses.

"It helped us narrow down the search parameters of the vehicles," Nicholas said. Cops pared the list down from about 20 possibilities to three.

Just one week later, Williams' tire treads betrayed him at a Feb. 4 roadblock. He was arrested soon after.

"She did far beyond what most officers would have done and we commend her for it," Nicholas said.

CTV EXCLUSIVE: Debate underway over evidence in Russell Williams case

CTV Ottawa has learned there's a debate underway between police and the families of Russell Williams' victims over what will happen to the graphic video and photos Williams took to document his attacks.

snip

"Russell Williams was a very smart man, you couldn't get to the position he was in if he were not smart. He wasn't as smart a criminal as he was a colonel and that was his downfall," Nicholas said in the exclusive interview.

When asked to describe Williams, Nicholas said the killer was driven, detailed, consistent and determined.

"If he saw a target, he wouldn't give up. He was determined," Nicholas said.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101125/OTT_Williams_101125/20101125/?hub=OttawaHome

I just watched a clip of the interview, it's very sad, Nicholas looks to be near tears as he speaks about watching the videos.

The investigation into Russell Williams is still ongoing. The books are not closed on him; we are looking at him for other offences," Det.-Insp. Chris Nicholas told CTV Ottawa in the last interview he plans to give on the case, unless new charges are laid.

"Russell Williams was a person who was around the world, doing very bizarre things. It's quite uncommon . . . We're not done with him yet."

Nicholas said police find it hard to believe Williams' aggressive behaviour is limited to the crimes he pleaded guilty to this year. But while the investigation continues, police have decided not to give any more interviews to allow time for the victims' families to heal.
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101124/OTT_Williams_101134?hub=OttawaHome

It could be hard to believe, but I tend to think those two murders were his only murders. And the two assaults, his only assaults. He could well have been stealing underwear long before though. That's feasible to me.

It escalated as has been said many times. He promoted himself, for want of better words; after he entered the house he'd been watching when the woman got in her shower. He says he was tempted then, but didn't go further.

Had he murdered before, then I doubt those two assault victims would be living now.

It's good of course that they're going back though. They have to and they need to do that. And in the other countries, as they are.

As an afterthought; he was certainly a tormented soul. His adult life would have been hell. You can see it in his face in the underwear poses. That blank expression shows cruelty to many, but to me it shows misery. His compulsiveness wouldn't have been fun. Now he has been transported into a full on hell. Truly, I have an adult son and there but for the Grace of God go I. It is ALL so, so sad. The word tragic doesn't seem enough to me.

It could be hard to believe, but I tend to think those two murders were his only murders. And the two assaults, his only assaults. He could well have been stealing underwear long before though. That's feasible to me.

It escalated as has been said many times. He promoted himself, for want of better words; after he entered the house he'd been watching when the woman got in her shower. He says he was tempted then, but didn't go further.

Had he murdered before, then I doubt those two assault victims would be living now.

It's good of course that they're going back though. They have to and they need to do that. And in the other countries, as they are.

As an afterthought; he was certainly a tormented soul. His adult life would have been hell. You can see it in his face in the underwear poses. That blank expression shows cruelty to many, but to me it shows misery. His compulsiveness wouldn't have been fun. Now he has been transported into a full on hell. Truly, I have an adult son and there but for the Grace of God go I. It is ALL so, so sad. The word tragic doesn't seem enough to me.

:Welcome-12-june:

latte, I'm glad you joined WS!

wm

Welcome to Websleuths, Latte, great post.

I flip-flop back and forth regarding the matter of prior assaults/murders.

Everything I have ever read, leads me to think that there must be abnormal, deviant and criminal behaviour going back to childhood, and he must have been committing crimes since then.

But, on the other hand, I can't get my mind away from the "logical" escalation factor, that is known about criminal behaviour patterns.

I wish I knew more examples of criminals who deviated from the "escalation pattern" in their crimes, going back and forth between severity of actions, so to speak. This is quite rare, I would think, but there are rare beasts around, unfortunately.

I do tend to sway more towards the former belief, and think that the 88 horrific crimes that this monster has been charged and convicted of, are not the last, and there is much more horror to come.

MOO

ITA, Billy. She did everything right, as far as I can see.

In a similar ("but not quite" situation), I've been following the case here on WS of 13 year-old Sarah Maynard in Ohio, who was found thankfully alive, although bound and gagged in her alleged abductor's home four days after she went missing. Her mother, brother, and mother's friend were found more than a week later murdered and dismembered, allegedly by the same perp.

The mother's boss reported her missing to LE on a late Wednesday when she didn't show up for work. An LEO went to the home in the early evening, saw the woman's truck in the driveway, the house lights on, and knocked on the door. When no one answered, he left. He repeated this same procedure around 11 p.m. that night and found the same situation. The next morning, he returned, the truck was gone and there was still no answer at the door.

The home was eventually entered later that Thursday by the mother's boss, who found blood at the scene. It was only then that LE began their investigation.

In this situation, with an actual missing person's report (the kids also didn't go to school on Thursday), with a vehicle in the driveway, the lights being on at 11 pm, and no one answering the door, I think there should have been a different protocol. All these factors combined with the lateness of the wellness check called for more action, IMO. There is every indication that during the first check, the perp was quite possibly still in the house and could have been caught then. (Maybe too late for all the victims, but Sarah.)

In the Williams case, there had yet been no sign of trouble, no missing person report and yet the officer took the trouble to check. She has nothing to feel guilty about and should be commended for noticing and being able to describe Williams' truck.

JMO

Yes Wondergirl, he is definitely 'rare'. Nobody would be surprised if he's found to be responsible for more. And ta for the welcome :)

re the Police Officer

Of course she did something right. She checked the house was secure and looked over the car.

But I'm thinking those above her did not do everything right. I'm not including the first murder because I can see how it may not have been connected to the assaults.

Jane Doe was attacked 17/09/2009, Tweed, Laurie Massicotte on 29/09/2009, Tweed. Both surprised at night, tied up, posed and photographed at home alone. After Laurie Massicotte, police did issue a public warning of some sort to women alone.

As far as I can tell, Belleville is only about 25 miles from Tweed (please correct me if I'm way out) but if so, then the police right across those areas should have been given a whole new protocol. And that would include taking car rego numbers of any suspicious cars and calling them in. While I know cars being parked around there was not unusual, it was enough to have the good Officer take a look. Also as far as I know, there were no emergencies she'd been called away to. She was simply not equipped properly with procedure for the job she was doing that night.

It's fine for the police to commend themselves and say they will review their methods. But meanwhile besides the obvious, one female Officer will still blame herself and wonder for a long time. I also hope she gets all the support possible. It's a dreadful thing for her and I believe completely unfair in the situation. She may well have anger mixed in with her emotions as well.

It is really unbelievable that the female Police Officer even went to Jessica's door that night at all.

To have done so at 9:30 pm, when Jessica's last text that night before bed was 10:36 pm, tells exactly how close this officer was to possibly preventing Jessica's murder.

As Det. Nicholas said, Williams was a very determined individual. Williams had been at Jessica's house the night before, and likely would have taken her then, had she not been out (as per trial). She was one of his intended targets, and that's all there was to it. It was meant to be that the officer seen his SUV that night, and thank God that she did (and was not also harmed herself).

Unfortunately, the only way that the Devil himself was meant to be stopped that night, was by Jessica's brutal abduction and murder. That is the only way I can look at that.

Jessica Lloyd brought down the Devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member