CANADA Canada - Mary Ann Plett, 29, Edmonton AB, Sept 15 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mary Ann Plett disappeared on September 15. Too bad there's no way of determining whether she died on that date, also.

All speculation: As far as leaving the cigarette package on purpose: The red du Maurier cigarette package has "signature" on it. The brand is named for Sir Gerald Du Maurier, a British actor. His daughter, Daphne, wrote a book titled Frenchman's Creek. There's a Frenchman's Creek up near Alliance and Red Deer in Alberta.

One could wonder about that. I don't know whether that specific variety red signature cigarette package was the one left.
That is OBVIOUSLY a package printed with more modern technology and artistic input.

This is similar to the old style packaging.

ede6cab878aeee35ec63bcf851b7e6fe.jpg

If the perp left her body in such a manner hoping it be carried away by animals, and thus make her disappear... like one of the investigators concluded... why dump the briefcase with identifiable paperwork close by the body dump site? The body could be years gone, and the briefcase would be still intact, identifying where she may have been dumped. Why not just leave it in the trunk?

You have to question the conclusions drawn by the investigators at the time... and whether they may have overlooked some of the obvious.

If Jake Plett's description of the killer didn't have glasses, that might be the first sign of stories not jiving. If the killer left clip on sunglasses behind, that means he likely needed prescription glasses, and used them while doing activities including driving. If they were just reading glasses, he couldn't run around in sun-reading glasses... that makes no sense. He couldn't see properly. The prescription glasses would likely be a full time requirement.

If Jake were to admit they were his, they may implicate him. If he wore full time prescription glasses, did he wear clip on sunglasses ever?

They found the car 2 days after he would have had to provide a description of the driver to police.

Imo, a smart guy would leave behind cigarettes he didn't smoke and clip on sunglasses he didn't wear. If so, it worked.

Imo, a smart guy would leave behind cigarettes he didn't smoke and clip on sunglasses he didn't wear. If so, it worked.
Assuming it was planned... if the smart guy had left the case in the car, she may never have been found. There are aspects that seem planned, and others that seem spur of the moment.

Good point, besides what smoker forgets their pack of cigarettes?

Imo Mary Ann was meant to be found - or at least evidence that she was in the area where she was found.

If this happened a number of times during that era - it would paint a different picture for me. As a one-off - meticulously planned by someone with much to gain.

Leaves one guy imo.

Imo Mary Ann was meant to be found - or at least evidence that she was in the area where she was found.

If this happened a number of times during that era - it would paint a different picture for me. As a one-off - meticulously planned by someone with much to gain.

Leaves one guy imo.
That's a long drive back and forth in order to hide her. I assume that was out of the way at that time... sparsely populated. It's directly opposite of Edmonton from the acreage they were supposed to be at... no search would take place there. It seems a deliberate dump site to avoid detection.

Very deliberate imo.

Mary Ann's briefcase and contents were found on a logging road - sparsely traveled, but traveled.

For all we know she was deceased soon after her kids went to school that day. JP could have made an appearance at class that day (ended at 10:00 am and his only class that day) and ducked out early in order to take care of disposal himself and be back in time to meet the kids after their school ended that day.

I do think he hired someone though if Mary Ann had in fact ever met with 'Cooper'. I don't know that she did ever meet with him. We only have JP's word on that.

If it was JP - karma and all that.

Very deliberate imo.

Mary Ann's briefcase and contents were found on a logging road - sparsely traveled, but traveled.

For all we know she was deceased soon after her kids went to school that day. JP could have made an appearance at class that day (ended at 10:00 am and his only class that day) and ducked out early in order to take care of disposal himself and be back in time to meet the kids after their school ended that day.

I do think he hired someone though if Mary Ann had in fact ever met with 'Cooper'. I don't know that she did ever meet with him. We only have JP's word on that.

If it was JP - karma and all that.
From what I understand, she took the call from "Cooper" at the office at 10am. Pick up at the mall at 11.

I don't know that JP had the time to dump her where she was found. I have to dig for more detail. The location descriptions online are vague. Near this and near that doesn't cut it.

The opposite direction is noted and has been noted before. It's a two hour drive from Edmonton to Fort Assiniboine or 160 kms or 100 miles. 2 hours back = 4 hours.

We don't know if MAP ever made it to the acreage. She could have been taken to Fort Assiniboine from Edmonton or was turned around at some point between Edmonton and the acreage.

The opposite direction is noted and has been noted before. It's a two hour drive from Edmonton to Fort Assiniboine or 160 kms or 100 miles. 2 hours back = 4 hours.

We don't know if MAP ever made it to the acreage. She could have been taken to Fort Assiniboine from Edmonton or was turned around at some point between Edmonton and the acreage.
There was apparently a sighting near the acreage that I currently cannot reference. There was some concern about the validity of the sighting, without proper explanation though.

Anytime someone goes missing in Canada and receives media attention, there is always an apparent sighting of that person from St John's to Vancouver to Nunavut.

With or without a reference, how can one be sure a sighting is valid?

[url]https://books.google.com/books?id=khe2SDBCVxQC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=mary+ann+plett&source=bl&ots=gVw3I1rayo&sig=wEBT--Fg0jKAauWeLSMWiZlGISU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0q_2F_aLJAhUGNj4KHai1BLIQ6AEIPTAH#v=onepage&q=mary%20ann%20plett&f=false[/URL]

Deadly Encounters: True Crime Stories of Alberta

page 62...

"Had anyone seen a car resembling the Plett's two-tone green Pontiac? If not, had they noticed anything at all during the day that seemed in anyway unusual? No, was the consistent reply. No one had seen or heard anything out of the ordinary.

It was indeed strange, then that one of the women Jake questioned that night called police the next day. She had apparently forgotten having seen a car meeting the description of the Plett's being driven slowly down the road between her house and the acreage. She reported that there had been a man and a woman in the car and that the woman looked frightened.

The lady's motives for the call have never been clearly understood by authorities..."

The book further states that MAP was only 5' 2" tall, 120 lbs. Not exactly a romantic match for a "rather large man".

In the same book, page 65, page 73, Mary Ann had told her husband that she did not like Cooper and felt extremely uneasy with him. She told him the client was in the habit of muttering to himself and occasionally seemed to be locked in an audible argument with himself.

That's quite a distinct description for someone to tell their husband if she's having an affair and trying to keep it from him. Why say anything at all and draw attention to the affair?

I also find it hard to believe that Mary Ann Plett fooled her friends, family and coworkers about an affair and her husband was also, after her death, able to fool his family, friends and all those veteran detectives into believing he was innocent and was able to carry on the charade throughout the search and the funeral without once bringing any suspicion on himself.

Jake also had to quit college, get a job and raise several children by himself. Not exactly an end result I'd want to end up with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson
Back