CANADA Canada - Mary Ann Plett, 29, Edmonton AB, Sept 15 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Iirc, without reading through the thread again, someone asked about the specific area where Mary's clothing was found.( Please disregard if question was not posed or if it was, but was already answered.)

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/...-cold-case-preventing-closure-in-1997-slaying

" MaryAnn Plett, 29. She vanished Sept. 15, 1971. In April of 1972, over 100 km northwest of Edmonton, two employees of the Pinto Creek Sawmill found the tattered remains of women's clothing scattered along Goose Lake Road."
rbbm

Goose Lake, also known as Lone Pine, (Ktunaxa: k̓uk̓ni¢̕ǂaʔin [SUP][1][/SUP]) is a hamlet in northwest Alberta, Canada within Woodlands County.[SUP][2][/SUP] It is located approximately 37 kilometres (23 mi) northeast of Highway 43 and 136 kilometres (85 mi) northwest of Edmonton.

Goose Lake is often referred to as Lone Pine due to the location of its former post office at the former Lone Pine Store, which was located near the intersection of Highway 658 and Township Road 614B—the road that provides access to the hamlet and the Goose Lake Campground.[SUP][3][/SUP]

[SUP]We're going back quite a few years here by way of referencing and this reference also takes us to Lone Pine, California where Western movie making has it's roots.
[/SUP]
Westerns began, unsurprisingly, in America when James Fenimore Cooper wrote The Prairie (in 1827).

There's no doubt that "Mr. Cooper" was a narcissist, a pathological liar and psychopath and when we throw all of that into a pot we come up with something that resembles a man who would be furious upon hearing that there was a female realtor in his city. Imo, he was from Edmonton and knew the area very well and more than likely was involved in the construction trade industry probably through ownership of an established business because he knew how to walk the walk and talk the talk and I believe that when he heard about one of the first female realtors in Edmonton he set his sights on Mary Ann to make a point that "women" do not hold positions such as that whereby income or importance is concerned. Women under his reign would be found in the kitchen or doing other seemingly menial jobs. In other words, her position would encroach on his territorial values and she would have to go. So, if Mary Ann's new position wasn't in the news then he most likely heard about it through the trade. Was he ever actually seen by anyone else in the office?

Iirc, without reading through the thread again, someone asked about the specific area where Mary's clothing was found.( Please disregard if question was not posed or if it was, but was already answered.)

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/12/...-cold-case-preventing-closure-in-1997-slaying

" MaryAnn Plett, 29. She vanished Sept. 15, 1971. In April of 1972, over 100 km northwest of Edmonton, two employees of the Pinto Creek Sawmill found the tattered remains of women's clothing scattered along Goose Lake Road."
rbbm

There were three different locations of where the items, clothing and body were found.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The briefcase had been found behind three pines about fifty feet from the road, almost as though it had simply been thrown in from the roadway. The all-weather road led to the Pinto Creek Sawmill on Goose Lake, about eighteen miles south and west of Fort Assiniboine.

During the search the dogs uncovered a cache of paper and things from the car about a mile from where the briefcase was, on the same side of the road and about the same distance into the bush. The cache had been well hidden. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 128-129.

(This cache probably consisted of a black, plastic Real Estate notebook, two black loose leaf binders full of listings and I speculate it was hidden because the killer assumed there might be something in there to link him to the crime)

As it turned out, they had come to within about a mile and a half of where Mary Ann's body had been dumped.

Because the case is still open, I (Jake Plett) have omitted several key aspects so as not to jeopardize future investigations that will be made. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 130.

On Friday, April 14, 1972, two workmen from the Pinto Creek Sawmill had been doing some drainage work along the road. Just off to one side in a small patch of of grass where the sun had penetrated the snow cover and melted the snow they had noticed some clothing. The men had been very much aware of the importance of such a discovery because it had been along that road that all the searching had been done the preceding fall. They had reported the find to their boss, who had then immediately called the Swan Hills RCMP. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 136.

We took the dog to the spot where the clothing was found and it didn't take him long to find the rest. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 140.

One point in the book; Jake Plett believed that his wife was killed at the acreage where Mary Ann had first driven him in on their second trip to see the stakes around the property. She let him walk the property on the first trip alone.

Items found and listed on page 140:

pieces of her coat
parts of a beige or light tan pair of slacks
a button from her homemade brown/orange/beige top
silver-colored Bulova watch with expansion bracelet (broken)
a few other small items

Items still never found and still missing:

black-heeled brown shoes
glasses
tan hand-tooled leather purse with all her identification
two pairs of sun glasses
complete set of keys in a brown, handmade case

Items found in the car. The book doesn't mention cigarettes):

one white Sunbeam electric can opener,
two pairs of clip-on sunglasses in brown cases
one box of Kleenex
one green-blue plastic binder containing car registration and warranty
one plastic stacked picnic set

(One place in the book it states that the only thing found in the car was a pair of clip-on sunglasses and even the glove compartment was cleaned out (other than the wig in the trunk and some blue fibers from her coat). Maybe the items above were what had been in the car when Mary Ann disappeared? The book also states the car radio was tuned to a station other than what Mary Ann listened to. Also the windshield wipers were left in the on position and the last time it had rained was Wednesday night, September 15)

Was he ever actually seen by anyone else in the office?

I don't believe he was. There was nothing in the book stating that other than when Jake spotted his car going by he yelled to the others inside and then pursued the car with an employee from the realty company. The book doesn't specifically say whether that employee actually saw the car.

Goose Lake is often referred to as Lone Pine due to the location of its former post office at the former Lone Pine Store, which was located near the intersection of Highway 658 and Township Road 614B—the road that provides access to the hamlet and the Goose Lake Campground.[SUP][3][/SUP]

It would be interesting to see where the items and body were found in relation to the Goose Lake Campground. That would seem to be the most logical connection as to what the killer was doing in that specific area. I speculate that he might have been staying at the campground.

I don't believe he was. There was nothing in the book stating that other than when Jake spotted his car going by he yelled to the others inside and then pursued the car with an employee from the realty company. The book doesn't specifically say whether that employee actually saw the car.

I have this feeling that his company had done work for the real estate company, maybe repairs to a home that they were selling or work on a new home that was listed with them. I think there was a very important reason for him not to disclose his identity to the office, other than the fact that he was planning on killing her. I know that sounds odd but I also feel as if he had a company that did work related to their sales. He was closer than anyone thought and he knew the abduction would be high profile as opposed to a pick up on the street amongst a thousand faces. That is what makes Mary Ann's case so different because he was making a point whereby her status was concerned. And I also believe that's why everything was laid out subsequent to her death in the way in which it was. Now, piece together why certain items were found where because there's a message there too, imo.

It would be interesting to see where the items and body were found in relation to the Goose Lake Campground. That would seem to be the most logical connection as to what the killer was doing in that specific area. I speculate that he might have been staying at the campground.

The can opener and the plastic plates... camping. With those items it doesn't appear as if she was killed at the acreage and the message is "we went camping."

The above "items still never found and still missing" seem to be more personal, body related items .. akin to souvenirs, things a victim would have worn and handled; the items found, left behind, are more impersonal.

Obviously the holdback of info through the years hasn't helped solve this case. Maybe LE should cough up a bit more to help generate some new activity.

The cache of paper I think would represent either his office or his home and the briefcase represents Mary Ann's office. Everything by way of item and location represents something directly related to him as in reference to Mary Ann. Every item was too well placed or too well hid.

From pleasestandby's post, this list of missing items makes me think of someone who might want to recreate and " takeover " the victim's outward persona/ appearance, or dress someone else that way. Surprised that the wig was left behind, imo speculation.

"black-heeled brown shoes
glasses
two pairs of sun glasses
complete set of keys in a brown, handmade case"

Ugh... what a mess. Every item has to be allocated to a representation by way of positioning because imo, he's laid out his identity through this selection and placement.

From pleasestandby's post, this list of missing items makes me think of someone who might want to recreate and " takeover " the victim's outward persona/ appearance, or dress someone else that way. Surprised that the wig was left behind, imo speculation.

glasses
two pairs of sun glasses

Or to take home for his wife to notice. By the time his type get to this organizational position by way of professionalism, the flaunting becomes a priority and generally the only place they can accomplish that with great pride is at home. You see, if they had a family his wife would be bound to silence for the consequence of shame to the family. Now, the items are laid out like a map in the form of a treasure hunt and I believe that map shows what's what and who's who as in location and business identity to victim/killer.

Surprised that the wig was left behind, imo speculation.
<rsbm>

Yeah ... the wig is pretty personal, but if Mary Ann's body was dispensed with in the dark, her hair being the same colour as the wig, the perp may not have noticed it left in the trunk.

<rsbm>

Yeah ... the wig is pretty personal, but if Mary Ann's body was dispensed with in the dark, her hair being the same colour as the wig, the perp may not have noticed it left in the trunk.

I believe he noticed everything, every fine detail because that was what he was trained to do through his work and business. It was so easy, he gave them a map and they still couldn't figure it out. You just need to work through the chaos of his thinking because within that chaos (as apparent to "normal" people) there is a method to his madness. I believe the map is there and it's laid out in relation to Mary Ann's office because at the heart of his issue it was her position that bothered him the most. That's the one thing that "ticked" him off.

glasses
two pairs of sun glasses

Well, we know he had to keep the keys to drive Mary Ann's car back to the car lot. From there, he could have dropped the keys into a nearby sewer (I don't believe I heard whether they ever checked for them in the nearby sewers)

The other items could still be in a still undiscovered cache in the area of the body, but, I agree, it's possible he kept one or all of the missing items as trophies. The wig may have fallen off in the trunk when he threw the body in and he never saw it in the darkness after dumping her out.

The cache of paper I think would represent either his office or his home and the briefcase represents Mary Ann's office. Everything by way of item and location represents something directly related to him as in reference to Mary Ann. Every item was too well placed or too well hid.

Two hunters chasing game birds had come upon Mary Ann's briefcase in the Fort A--e area. James Boyd and Max Leigrand had discovered the case in what police consider to be a "one-in-a-million chance" on October 30, 1971. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 128.

There were three different locations of where the items, clothing and body were found.

The briefcase had been found behind three pines about fifty feet from the road, almost as though it had simply been thrown in from the roadway. The all-weather road led to the Pinto Creek Sawmill on Goose Lake, about eighteen miles south and west of Fort Assiniboine.

...cache of paper and things from the car about a mile from where the briefcase was ...

As it turned out, they had come to within about a mile and a half of where Mary Ann's body had been dumped.
<rsbm>

With the clothing being found separate from her body, this seems to indicate her clothing, or at least part of it, had been removed.

<rsbm>

If the clothing was found separate from where her body was found, this seems to indicate her clothing, or at least part of it, had been removed.

Exactly. Pieces and parts of her outer clothing. No doubt a sex crime.

Two hunters chasing game birds had come upon Mary Ann's briefcase in the Fort A--e area. James Boyd and Max Leigrand had discovered the case in what police consider to be a "one-in-a-million chance" on October 30, 1971. Valley of Shadows by Jake Plett, page 128.

Yes, with a "one-in-a-million chance", I don't think he was mapping anything out or blazing a trail of any sort. The items were not easily found, some were simply stumbled upon, and others were found by search dogs.

I would be interested in knowing what other properties Mary Ann had listed/sold in the past. Not sure it was happening as early as 1971, but I know in later years, gangstas were buying up properties, using them as grow-ops, and just abandoning them ... because the proceeds of the pot sales far outweighed the purchase cost of the properties.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back