Found Deceased Canada - May Milling, 81, Jasper, AB, 2 Sept 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are no stupid questions, Hazel.

You make a good point. The wallet was apparently found 20-30 kilometres downstream from the crash site.

The registration papers were found on the river's edge (where have I heard that term before?) Hmmm, that sounds very familiar to me as well ... a L. Cohen song perhaps? ;)

at the place where the car left the road. So the wallet and registration were found quite some distance apart. I think Valleyboy has some good questions. Was the wallet dry? What was in it?

So in answer to the last question, neither the wallet nor the registration papers were found in Vavenby itself.

Could you please repost your map, showing the crash site and 30 kms downstream (that's somewhere near Pye Road, and the side channels of the river). Okay, that will be somewhere between Clearwater and Vavenby I believe.

Not sure why the RCMP is giving such a big range of 10 kms. Is that by road or by river? The information is purposely vague, IMO.
I don't know, but is that lil ol' side channel closer to, say, Pye Road? Anyone?

Here's a map showing a bunch of side channels along the river. The forked road in the centre is Pye Road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....57771,-119.805737&spn=0.032217,0.104284&z=14

If you zoom in really closely on the left hand side of the fork, you'll see some outbuildings. This is within the 20-30 km distance downstream of the crash site at Mad River, as described by RCMP.

How are these maps Summer (not sure I got it right, we can always adjust it :) )

both maps are the same, except for the location of ( D )
I don't know where to place ( D ) which is either the wallet or the papers.

map 1 = link here

map 2 = link here

Forgot to include the LEYEND:

( A ) where wallet was found near Pye Road. (or was it car registration papers at this location?)

( B ) Vavenby Bridge Rd. (just as a reference)

( C ) Vavenby (town, just as a reference)

( D ) where car registration papers were found (this is just tentative location)

( E ) car crash site (where the Mad River meets the North Thompson River)

Note: map is still 'under construction'

Highway 5 is also called "Southern Yellowhead Highway". This may be what Tedd Tree's friends meant.
Summer, I am not aware of Tedd's story. Is he still missing? Has his car been found? If not, he might be found while looking for May, hopefully soon before winter sets in.

Summer, I am not aware of Tedd's story. Is he still missing? Has his car been found? If not, he might be found while looking for May, hopefully soon before winter sets in.

I went looking and found the most information about Tedd Tree here:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3940.0

It may not be connected, but with all the strange circumstances in the area, I am keeping an open mind.

Knouff Lake is between Kamloops and Clearwater. I couldn't help but notice the reference to "two outbuildings". The grow op on Pye Road between Clearwater and Vavenby also involved two outbuildings:

http://communities.canada.com/vanco...for-kamloops-man-wanted-in-double-murder.aspx

IIRC, May Milling's wallet was found on the shore by a side channel of the North Thompson River, between Clearwater and Pye Road, approximately.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/...ve-team-finds-fragments-of-missing-womans-car

"Dive team finds fragments of missing woman's car

"An RCMP dive team believes it has found pieces belonging to May Milling's car, but the discovery doesn't bring further closure to the missing woman's friends and family.

For that to happen, the 81-year-old's body needs to be found in or near her 2009 Buick Lucerne so proper memorial arrangements can be made, friend Jenny John said Wednesday.

"The bottom line is we knew the car was in the water," said John. "We really don't know if she's in the car."

An RCMP dive team revisited the spot Oct. 28 where Milling's car crashed down an embankment and into the river. Officers discovered the location 40 kilometres north of Clearwater near Mad River early last month.

Clearwater RCMP Cpl. Chris Newel said divers spent several hours scouring the site. Using underwater cameras and a magnet, the team found what appears to be part of the car's roof, a section of hood or inside of the trunk lid, an exhaust pipe and muffler jammed into some rocks.

"It's possible the car sustained damage going in," said Newel.

Police believe Milling's southbound Buick veered off Highway 5 and down a 30-metre embankment. Officers found bits of glass, a tail light and ICBC papers identifying Milling on Oct. 16.

The search was hindered by poor visibility in the river, and that was an issue again last week, said Newel. Divers will resume the search when the water clears.

"We want to bring closure to this," he said.

John said that's what she wants too. "It's a waiting game now," she said.

Milling was not married and had no children. She left Gibsons Aug. 26 and headed for Grand Forks, Radium, Banff and then on to Jasper, a journey she makes annually.

She was en route to Kamloops from Jasper to visit her longtime friend Jenny John when she disappeared.""

From yesterday's story:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/106619533.html

"Parts from missing woman's car possibly found
Car crash site possibly that of May Milling
Missing 81-year-old woman likely crashed into river

Published: November 03, 2010 9:28 AM
Updated: November 03, 2010 9:28 AM
TIMES STAFF

RCMP divers may have found parts of May Milling’s car as they continue their search for the missing woman from Gibsons, B.C.

On Oct. 28 the RCMP Dive Team went to the site where Milling’s car was believed to have gone into the North Thompson River in the Mad River area north of Vavenby. Previous search efforts had been hampered by high water but water levels had dropped by three feet since then.

Utilizing a jet boat operated by a Clearwater Fisheries Officer, the dive team spent several hours scouring from where the vehicle entered the water downstream for approximately one km. With the assistance of underwater cameras and a powerful magnet the team was able to locate what appears to be a section of the roof of a car, and possibly a section from under the hood or inside the trunk lid.

Both pieces are dark blue. The second piece has a tag on it that reads, "General Motors of Canada. 2009 Emission Control Standards." Milling’s vehicle is a 2009 Buick four-door sedan, blue in color. The divers also found a tail pipe and muffler jammed into the rocks approximately 1/2 km below the vehicle entry point. The vehicle itself was not found. 

The river was still fast moving and the underwater visibility was less than one foot. The search was called off at dark. It was decided that efforts will again be postponed until the water level drops further and visibility improves.

The local RCMP detachment is monitoring the river. Kamloops Air Services has been assisting in the search and will continue to check the river periodically.
It is expected that, with cooler temperatures and less rainfall, the river will clear up.

Milling, age 81, went missing while traveling from Jasper to Kamloops on Sept. 2. 
On Oct. 16 her wallet was located in the North Thompson River near Birch Island.

A search upstream from the found wallet led to the discovery of the crash site. Milling’s vehicle registration was found near the site on the rocky bank of the North Thompson River.

A search of the river by the RCMP Dive Team with the assistance of Wells Gray Search and Rescue at that time was unsuccessful."

Murky river waters hinder RCMP’s search for missing senior
Published: November 04, 2010 1:00 PM
Updated: November 04, 2010 1:15 PM

<<< snippets >>>

“With the assistance of the Department of Fisheries, we swept the river using a magnet and a cameraNewel said.

“They located three pieces of car that are similar in description to May Milling’s car.”

Newel said those pieces are a portion of a hood or a trunk, part of a muffler and a section of roof.

RCMP divers have had to call off the search, but hope to re-enter the water in a few weeks.

“We’ll be monitoring the river on an almost daily basis [to determine when divers will return].”

Newel said it’s unclear whether Milling’s vehicle broke into pieces while leaving the road or if the harsh river currents tore it apart.

Newel said the goal of investigators is still to uncover Milling’s body.

“We would definitely like to find May Milling,” he said.

“It may not still be in the vehicle.

RS&BBM

Full article: http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/kamloopsthisweek/news/106715273.html

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/gra...1&eday=6&eyr=2010&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=

There is also historical water level data, by which you can forecast expected water levels.
Then there is also the old-fashion (very reliable) method: you go and look at the river, to see if water has cleared up, and also determine (in situ) if the current is not too strong for divers to go in.
Sorry Summer, couldn't help it ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Water levels hampering search: RCMP
CLEARWATER/CKNW(AM980)
11/7/2010

RCMP hope to resume a search for a senior missing since September later this week.

Corporal Dan Moskaluk says searchers need water levels on the North Thompson to decrease before a dive team can look for 81 year old May Milling.

Moskaluk says with a river like the North Thompson the search area is quite large,"Some of the debris is a kilometre, half kilometre down from where the vehicle entered the water...you know, it's a difficult thing to locate the vehicle...it may sound like a simple thing to do, but given the water condition and how the river is, it does hamper our efforts."
http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1307720

Then there is also the old-fashion (very reliable) method: you go and look at the river, to see if water has cleared up, and also determine (in situ) if the current is not too strong for divers to go in.
Sorry Summer, couldn't help it ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Water levels hampering search: RCMP
CLEARWATER/CKNW(AM980)
11/7/2010

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1307720

I have inferred from historical data that now is as good a time as any to search the water again. Wait too long, and it will only get colder, meaning less time for each diver to spend under the surface.

The other method I recommend is asking a fisherman or boater. They're the ones that are usually on the scene in these types of events. :eye:

Are there any waterways anywhere along the route she drove, such as a creek, lake, pond, or river?

Also, are there any rest areas along the route?

There is a large water way (Moose Lake) along her route. There is a good possibility her car could be there. I have visited that area a couple of years ago and it is VERY rugged------mountains and cliffs. I think she had a heart attack and went off the road. They just haven't found her yet. Although, she could have become confused, disoriented and got lost THEN went off the road somewhere else---not on this same road.

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/gra...1&eday=6&eyr=2010&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=

There is also historical water level data, by which you can forecast expected water levels.

Glad you posted that link Summer. It's a new link from what i have bookmarked, but that is where I check the water levels when we are faced with flooding out here in spring/fall. We SHOULD able to view CURRENT level readings within a couple of hours (especially at this time of year because one of my most memorable flooding experiences out here was in November) ... For some unknown reason, current readings aren't coming up !!! I'll be in touch with them and see what's up with that and post back.

There is a large water way (Moose Lake) along her route. There is a good possibility her car could be there. I have visited that area a couple of years ago and it is VERY rugged------mountains and cliffs. I think she had a heart attack and went off the road. They just haven't found her yet. Although, she could have become confused, disoriented and got lost THEN went off the road somewhere else---not on this same road.

Would you happen to know exactly where the rest stops between Vavenby and Avola are located? I know there are some, including one near that road I mentioned a while back in the thread. We've pinpointed the locations relevant to what LE has said on the map Hazel posted. It would be helpful to add the precise rest stop locations, too. I'm talking about those viewpoint pullouts/restroom stops maintained by the province.

I, too, think it is possible she may have pulled off the main road at some point, then got turned around.

"The current primary water level as of 2010-11-08 06:00:43 is: 0.474 metres. Most recent station visit: 2010-05-20 10:30:00, Measured water level: 2.75 metres, Measured discharge: n/a. Deviation: n/a. Curve 20 is currently used to generate the preliminary discharge values on the graph. If the recent measured discharge deviates from the curve by more than 5%, the displayed discharge information may be inaccurate and will be revised for final publication following detailed review of stage and discharge records."

From: http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/gra...1&eday=6&eyr=2010&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=

Maximum and Minimum levels, using 2009 data as comparison:

http://www.wsc.ec.gc.ca/hydat/H2O/index_e.cfm?cname=graph.cfm&RequestTimeout=300

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kooger12
Back