Found Deceased Canada - May Milling, 81, Jasper, AB, 2 Sept 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wallet washed ashore gives clue to missing senior

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...+gives+clue+missing+senior/3695257/story.html

EDMONTON — Nearly seven weeks after May Milling vanished on a drive from Jasper through the British Columbia Interior, the 81-year-old's wallet was discovered Saturday on the banks of the North Thompson River.

The wallet led RCMP upstream, where they found pieces of a vehicle and Milling's registration at an embankment off Highway 5. RCMP believe Milling's blue Buick crashed into the murky river.

Car crash site possibly that of May Milling. Clearwater RCMP believe they have located a crash site where an elderly woman from Gibsons might have gone missing. Police and Search and Rescue conducted recovery efforts the Saturday and Sunday before last. So far the woman and her vehicle have not been located but further searches will be conducted once river water conditions change. http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/clearwatertimes/news/105561988.html

Missing woman crashed into river

Newel said the exact location is 40 kilometres north of Clearwater, on a relatively straight stretch of Highway 5.

There are no skid marks at the scene, but police found documents from Milling’s 2009 Buick Lucerne, as well as broken glass and part of what is believed to be a tail-light at the bottom of a 100-foot embankment.

Investigators now believe Milling’s vehicle left the highway at a high rate of speed, went down the embankment and into the North Thompson River.

Read more: http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/barrierestarjournal/news/105562633.html

It sounds like prayers are being answered in the search for Ms May.
Hopefully, they will be able to bring her home soon.

Wouldn't this be a perfect use for a sonar equipped boat or am I off on my thought process here?

Search conditions were difficult with fast water flowing at this time, one to four knots, with the average being two to three. The visibility is less than 0.5 metres. Given the flow, divers were only able to cover about one half the width of the river. The depth ranges from 11 to 19 feet, and has a rocky bottom with some sandy areas. RCMP divers were unable to locate the vehicle.

http://www.fitzhugh.ca/news/2053-car-crash-site-possibly-that-of-missing-person-may-milling

Thanks for the updates everyone.

I find it very strange that her wallet would be found. Why would her wallet, with her identification, be the first thing found??? It wouldn't have been floating loose leaf in her vehicle, I am sure.

Where is May?

The west coast has had some wicked storms this fall, including one that featured 130 km/h winds, the equivalent of a category 3 hurricane. You know Canadians: understatement is an art form. So, we have heard very little about this weather. This could explain the fast-flowing, murky water in rivers further inland. These weather systems do have an effect further from the coast, albeit diminished.

Thanks for the updates everyone.

I find it very strange that her wallet would be found. Why would her wallet, with her identification, be the first thing found??? It wouldn't have been floating loose leaf in her vehicle, I am sure.

Where is May?

It could depend on the type of wallet it was and where she kept it.

Also did she have her windows down or were they broken on impact.

What kind of shape was her wallet an registration in when found, were they soaked , partially soaked or dry.

22360_2009_buick_lucerne_sdn_4_dr.jpg

The vehicle that May Milling was operating was a
dark blue 2009 Buick Lucerne, 4 Door Sedan, with BC license plate 147 LHF (Similar model pictured).
Clearwater RCMP are confirming what they believe to be a crash site near the Mad River by Clearwater with items belonging to 81 year old May Milling recovered in the area.
Evidence near the edge of the river shows where the dark blue 2009 Buick Lucerne entered, but the vehicle has not been located as of yet.

There are some forestry roads leading off Highway 5 at Mad River. Would those roads be used much these days, given the economics of that industry? Would they still be passable at this point in the year?

Like the McCanns, I wonder if May Milling may not have been in her car when it allegedly entered the river.

From what I have determined, Mad River joins the North Thompson River 158.1 km. north of Kamloops along Highway 5. This would place it north of the town of Vavenby, possibly near Allingham Way. Could someone please post a map showing where May Milling's car is believed to have left the road?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour....918862,-119.245605&spn=1.023201,3.337097&z=9

I am trying to do a map for you, but am having difficulty finding Mad River. I am thinking it might be Mud River instead.

Also, if crash site is 30 or 40 Kms north of Clearwater, I found a ranch along Clearwater Valley Rd, which is located 30 Km directly north of Clearwater, not Highway 5 as it is reported.

I need someone to verify if that river we see on the left hand side is the North Thompson River.

There is another river that passes close to that town you mentioned, Vabenby. Will need someone local to let us know if that is Mad River (or Mud River).

Map showing Clearwater and Ranch (30 Km north) http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Box+1764+R.R.1,+Clearwater+British+Columbia+VOE1N0+(Wells+Gray+Guest+Ranch)&daddr=Clearwater,+BC+V0E&geocode=FSCdFwMd-J_Y-CG9deIfu3LYJw%3BFbn6EwMdb4fY-Cm1V4Qt29uBUzEx1BOrQTSImw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=51.895139,-119.111023&sspn=0.260171,0.727158&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

Map showing:
( A ) Jasper, Alberta (point of departure)
( B ) Valemount, BC, Canada (just a reference)
( C ) Clearwater, BC (near crash site)
( D ) Kamloops, BC (destination)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Jasper,+Alberta,+Canada&daddr=Valemount,+BC,+Canada+to:Clearwater,+BC+(near+crash+site)+to:Kamloops,+BC+(destination)&geocode=Fa3fJgMd6ED2-CkpPlVoCCuDUzGCKBkLvQIgHw%3BFfQjJgMdySvk-CmpNImfgAqDUzG1KMa3RuFJUw%3BFbn6EwMdb4fY-Cm1V4Qt29uBUzEx1BOrQTSImw%3BFY9BBQMdn77T-CkxOw090yx-UzHnRWmaqpY-0g&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=51.855025,-119.211135&sspn=3.98333,11.634521&ie=UTF8&ll=51.706608,-120.06958&spn=0.499541,1.454315&t=h&z=10

You will need to zoom in a lot, to view the area and rivers.

There are some forestry roads leading off Highway 5 at Mad River. Would those roads be used much these days, given the economics of that industry? Would they still be passable at this point in the year?

Like the McCanns, I wonder if May Milling may not have been in her car when it allegedly entered the river.
Did you find Mad River on the map Summer? could you please pinpoint the location for me, so I can mark it on the map?

IMHO, May might have fallen asleep at the wheel or some medical problem, like a heart attack. I don't know why, but I don't have the feeling it was foul play, but I might be wrong.

My apologies for answering my own question. This image shows which one is the North Thompson River, so is the one that goes along Hwy.5, as reported, so please disregard the map going straight up to that Ranch. Still need to find out Mad River and if/where it intersects with NTRiver.
north_thompson.gif

Hi Hazel
I know exactly where Mad River is I just dont know how to copy the google earth image to this site.

My apologies for answering my own question. This image shows which one is the North Thompson River, so is the one that goes along Hwy.5, as reported, so please disregard the map going straight up to that Ranch. Still need to find out Mad River and if/where it intersects with NTRiver.
north_thompson.gif

Here's the map I found:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...nby_33_172.kmz&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=websearch

It is Mad River, but it must be small, because it's not on most other maps.

Hi Hazel
I know exactly where Mad River is I just dont know how to copy the google earth image to this site.

If you're using Google Maps, click on the link on the upper right hand side, then copy the link and paste it here.

Do you know where Pye Road is?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeLuvr_89