Canada - Michael Stanley, dangerous sex offender, escaped from Canada, now in U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police find violent Canadian sex predator in Seattle

SEATTLE (AP) - A high-risk sex offender who recently fled Canada has been located in Seattle, where authorities are now ordering him to register so officials can keep tabs on him.

Michael Sean Stanley, 48, was found Thursday in downtown Seattle and was ordered to register as a sex offender, the Seattle Police Department said. He was not arrested because Canadian authorities have declined to try extraditing him, although Seattle police said he could be arrested if he fails to register.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...nadian-sex-predator-in-Seattle-228228361.html

Found in Seattle! And all he has to do is register as a sex offender.
He'll reoffend. IMO

Canada couldn't or wouldn't extradite him? Not that I blame them, I don't want him in the USA either. Sad for the teen boy that was molested in Seattle, I'm hoping they lock him up for life in the good ole USA :)

How is he entitled to live in the US, when he is supposed to be under supervision in Canada? It makes no sense whatsoever. He needs to be extradited back to Canada.

Why would he be entitled to live in the USA? We don't want him. He is entitled to go back to jail either here or in Canada, where he belongs.
No one wants a child rapist on the loose.

I can't imagine why anyone would be surprised by this.

"Michael Sean Stanley met the boy at a west Seattle grocery store, struck up a conversation and walked with him to an alley where he plied the teen with alcohol, Seattle police said in a statement. Stanley grabbed the teen and sexually assaulted him, police said."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sex-offender-fled-canada-arrested-seattle-20647535

I never thought I would be happy of a kid carrying a knife, but I am. I didn't even know this was in my town. Off I go to alert all my friends.

Canada couldn't or wouldn't extradite him? Not that I blame them, I don't want him in the USA either. Sad for the teen boy that was molested in Seattle, I'm hoping they lock him up for life in the good ole USA :)

He's an American citizen. Canada won't proceed with the extradition process because it is expensive, and the US would not return him to Canada because the charges he faces in Canada are minor.

"Edmonton police said they had warned U.S. authorities that he might try to cross the border, but officials allowed him in after determining he was an American citizen and not the subject of an extraditable arrest warrant.

Alberta Justice had started the extradition process, then announced it would not seek to have Stanley returned to Canada because the charges he was facing at the time — breach of recognizance, mischief and driving charges — didn't involve violence."

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Fug...+Stanley+suspected+Seattle/9070474/story.html

Why would he be entitled to live in the USA? We don't want him. He is entitled to go back to jail either here or in Canada, where he belongs.
No one wants a child rapist on the loose.

He belongs in the US. In fact, it looks like Canada has no further comment:

"Edmonton, Alberta, police spokesman Chad Orydzuk told The Associated Press that Stanley's arrest in Seattle was 'unfortunate but we can't provide comment. It's not our file.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ile-arrested-raping-boy-US.html#ixzz2iZJAWBFc

He belongs in the US. In fact, it looks like Canada has no further comment:

"Edmonton, Alberta, police spokesman Chad Orydzuk told The Associated Press that Stanley's arrest in Seattle was 'unfortunate but we can't provide comment. It's not our file.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ile-arrested-raping-boy-US.html#ixzz2iZJAWBFc

Thanks, makes more sense now!!!
The first articles I read failed to mention he was a US citizen, why was he allowed to live in Canada. No wonder they don't want him- don't blame them.

Thanks, makes more sense now!!!
The first articles I read failed to mention he was a US citizen, why was he allowed to live in Canada. No wonder they don't want him- don't blame them.

That's a good question. It sounds like he was born in the US and has a history of sex offenses in the US. It's possible that he has dual citizenship, because if he didn't have Canadian citizenship, then he would have been expelled from the country after completing his sentence. Instead, he was deemed at high risk to re-offend and had to wear an ankle bracelet. He had 20 restrictions regarding his activities, one of which was to stay away from schools and playgrounds. The day he removed his ankle bracelet, he was violating those conditions and risked re-arrest. Instead, he fled to the US. When he crossed the border, the US was well aware of the fact that Canadian authorities were looking for him. The decision was that being a US citizen is more important that the fact that he broke the law in Canada.

Canadian authorities informed the US that Stanley would re-offend, that it was just a matter of time, and that he is most likely to offend while drunk. All that had to be done by authorities in Seattle was to monitor him, wait for him to get drunk, and intervene before there was another victim. There isn't really any excuse for the fact that Stanley was allowed to victimize another child.

That's a good question. It sounds like he was born in the US and has a history of sex offenses in the US. It's possible that he has dual citizenship, because if he didn't have Canadian citizenship, then he would have been expelled from the country after completing his sentence. Instead, he was deemed at high risk to re-offend and had to wear an ankle bracelet. He had 20 restrictions regarding his activities, one of which was to stay away from schools and playgrounds. The day he removed his ankle bracelet, he was violating those conditions and risked re-arrest. Instead, he fled to the US. When he crossed the border, the US was well aware of the fact that Canadian authorities were looking for him. The decision was that being a US citizen is more important that the fact that he broke the law in Canada.

Canadian authorities informed the US that Stanley would re-offend, that it was just a matter of time, and that he is most likely to offend while drunk. All that had to be done by authorities in Seattle was to monitor him, wait for him to get drunk, and intervene before there was another victim. There isn't really any excuse for the fact that Stanley was allowed to victimize another child.

USA dropped the ball. I think about his recent victim and how it could have been prevented if someone did their job. I would be beyond livid, hope the teen sues and wins. Why are the police so lenient on rape/sex crimes but god forbid be caught with drugs?

USA dropped the ball. I think about his recent victim and how it could have been prevented if someone did their job. I would be beyond livid, hope the teen sues and wins. Why are the police so lenient on rape/sex crimes but god forbid be caught with drugs?

This is what US officials had to say when they were warned about Stanley:

"The U.S. Marshals Service says it has no reason to track down or hold convicted sex offender Michael Stanley, who slipped away from Canadian authorities after removing his ankle bracelet last week.

"We have no reason to monitor him because he's not suspected of any crimes in the United States," said Jack Williams, acting deputy chief. "We don't monitor our citizens like that in the U.S."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/11/sex-offender-michael-stan_n_4086507.html

This is what US officials had to say when they were warned about Stanley:

"The U.S. Marshals Service says it has no reason to track down or hold convicted sex offender Michael Stanley, who slipped away from Canadian authorities after removing his ankle bracelet last week.

"We have no reason to monitor him because he's not suspected of any crimes in the United States," said Jack Williams, acting deputy chief. "We don't monitor our citizens like that in the U.S."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/11/sex-offender-michael-stan_n_4086507.html

Actually the NSA, TSA and Homeland Security monitor us.
I smell a well deserved lawsuit, from the last victims family.
Why did he take such an attitude with Canada?
Is this guy connected, wealthy or friends with LE?

Actually the NSA, TSA and Homeland Security monitor us.
I smell a well deserved lawsuit, from the last victims family.
Why did he take such an attitude with Canada?
Is this guy connected, wealthy or friends with LE?

He was living on the streets in Seattle, so I don't think he's connected to anyone.

My guess is that the Canadians didn't realize that Stanley had US citizenship. He has family in Canada. I suspect that Canadians warned the US authorities that a Canadian might try to cross the border, and that they didn't prepare paperwork for preventing a US citizen from crossing the border because they didn't know that was possible.

Once the mistake was understood, Canada had to step back and someone in Seattle should have picked up the ball. I agree that the most recent victim may have grounds for a lawsuit on the basis that authorities had all the information they needed to believe that Michael Stanley would reoffend. That they did not intervene meant, as we knew here, that he would quickly find another victim and that alcohol would be a factor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back