CANADA Canada - Montreal, WhtMale 20s, bright red hair, 'Michel' on bracelet, Jul'11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There's a link at the top of the post showing the photo a couple comments up. Otherwise, here's the body of it.
cache.php

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

not the right report. Your photo is about an ID guy, our JD is unidentified

Ok, I found the coroner's report for this UID : https://www.coroner.gouv.qc.ca/file.../Rapports_d_investigation_Jacques-Cartier.pdf

Page 9

Still unidentified in this report (in French)

We learn that no tat was found. However, the corpse was badly decomposed.

So here's the traduction I made from what I can read:
Identity unknown other than male;
death
Fleuve St-Laurent (St-Lawrence river), Montréal, Québec, Canada; date of death: presumed: 02 july 2011
time of death: aprox: 14h30
Cause of death: drowning
Facts​
Identification: despite efforts deployed over a span of 2 years to identify him, the deceased's identity was not determinated. His picture and description sheet was diffused all through the province of Quebec, in Canada, in North-America and finally with Interpol, without success. Some clues might lead to his identification:
- white male aged of approximately 30 years, he wore glasses and spoke french.
- 1m82 tall and weighting 71 kg with medium lenght red-hair.
- presence of a scar on the interior side of right wrist, not tatoos.
- he was wearing brown cargo style pants, beige socks, one brown sport shoe, a fine bracelet with silver rings on the left wrist and a green elastic around the left bicep.
- x-rays and DNA sample were taken for later use.
external/internal exams: done on july 11 2011 at "Laboratoires des sciences judiciaires et de médecine légale de Montréal", the exams showed an advanced decomposition state. No traumatic or anatomic lesion that could have caused the death was found, but the exam of the body was limited by the advanced decomposition. Signs observed during autopsy coinciding with a drowning, whisle non specific, could not be found but the bad conservation of the body could have contributed to make them disapear if they were there.
no pertinent antecedent
other exams: no drugs, medication or alcohol were found in his blood.
Circumstances of death
A police repport written by agents of princict 48 of SPVM (Service de police de la ville de Montréal) indicate that on july 7th, a ship captain spotted a floating body in St-Lawrence river at the same height as the Bellerive parc in Montréal. The body was recovered by the Fire Departement and taken back to shore. The examination of the body confirmed it was the body of a man that jumped from Jacques-Cartier's bridge on july 2nd. The scene was captured by CCTV and one image captured by the cameras was clear enough to be used. The clothes worn by the man who jumped were the same as the clothing recovered in the river with the deceased. At the moment he jumped off the bridge he was wearing a white t-shirt with long red sleeves. He clearly expressed his intention to jump to a witness after sayng "si tu as un téléphone, tu devrais appeller la police" (if you have a phone you should call the cops).
Conclusion: suicide.

not the right report. Your photo is about an ID guy, our JD is unidentified
Whoops! Wasn't paying attention and just screen shot the first one that popped up [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

So here's the traduction I made from what I can read:

Thank you very much!

One thing that caught my attention is that "Michel" addressed the lady by "tu". Wouldn't it be considered offensive to call her by "tu" instead of "vous"? Or is Quebec French different from European French in this aspect?

Thank you very much!

One thing that caught my attention is that "Michel" addressed the lady by "tu". Wouldn't it be considered offensive to call her by "tu" instead of "vous"? Or is Quebec French different from European French in this aspect?

That is a very good point you made about the use of the word "tu" which might suggest familiarity with a person, but used on a stranger may seem rude.
Not that i have brushed up on French in a very long time, but do recall making that mistake myself, referring to a bus driver as "tu'' and was admonished and corrected.
So now i wonder if this person is in fact English, but also speaks French.
He showed a kind of consideration by asking/telling the person that she should phone the police, imo, and because he was wearing brown and his clothing seemed to be carefully chosen to flatter his red hair, speculating that he comes from a middle class background.
Wonder if he was from elsewhere attending school in Montreal, or there to practice his French, or to visit a g/b friend?
imo, speculation.

For the "tu", I wouldn't worry so much.
Because in Québec, "tu" is used much more often than in France.

In France, it would be very rude to do so.
In Québec, much less.
I don't see it as a problem, and French is my mother tongue.

So, he can be a 100% Quebec born man actually. Even upper class people can speak this way in QC.
I'm not actually shocked by this.

I even struggle to lose my so French habit of saying "Bonjour, Monsieur/Madame" when in Québec !! Mom is annoyed, but be it !!

Ok, so from the coroner's report, the police report says that the body corresponds of a guy who jumped from the bridge on July 2nd 2011. He was found on July 7th 2011.

Hi Giuco, how are you? What a good find!

The coroner rapport is signed in 2014, so we know at least that by then he wasn't identified yet. But in 2018?....I would like to be sure before investing a lot of time.

The coroner rapport says that the UID was wearing glasses and was about 30 years old. I didn't see this info in this thread so I think it's important to add.

A part from the coroner rapport translated

Identification: despite efforts made over more than two years to identify this person, the identity of this unknown person can not be determined. His photograph and his fact sheet were distributed throughout Quebec, in Canada, North America and finally via Interpol, without success. Some clues may be to identify him: o 30-year-old Caucasian-born individual, wearing glasses and speaking French;
o measuring 1.82 m, weighing 71 kg and having medium length red hair;
o with a scar on the anterior surface of the right wrist and no tattooing;
o Dressed in brown cargo-style pants, beige stockings, sporting a brown sports shoe, bracelet end with rings and silver color on the left wrist and a green elastic on the left biceps;
o X-rays were taken;
o and on which DNA samples have been taken and will be kept for future use.
• External and internal reviews: performed on July 11, 2011 at the Laboratory of Forensic Sciences and Medicine Montreal, they have shown a state of advanced putrefaction. Traumatic injury or anatomical cause of death could not be identified, but examination of the body was limited due to putrefaction. The signs observed at autopsy during a drowning, although not specific, were not found but the poor state of conservation of the body may have contributed to their disappearance, if they were present.
• Relevant history: unknown.

Sorry, Wolfourette did already a translation....thank you. Just noticed it.

Last edited:
I am to try to follow up on this today but for now our red-headed Inconnu is no longer listed on the page for "Unidentified remains" on the SPMV website
Unsolved murders - Service de police de la Ville de Montréal - SPVM and I remember it was once there. This may mean that he has been identified and his case has been removed. This is often done without fanfare and media attention in Quebec. I will have a look at the french press today and report back :)

I am to try to follow up on this today but for now our red-headed Inconnu is no longer listed on the page for "Unidentified remains" on the SPMV website
Unsolved murders - Service de police de la Ville de Montréal - SPVM and I remember it was once there. This may mean that he has been identified and his case has been removed. This is often done without fanfare and media attention in Quebec. I will have a look at the french press today and report back :)

Just trying to search for it also. Isn't it strange that they listed him on unsolved murders before as this was a suicide.

Just trying to search for it also. Isn't it strange that they listed him on unsolved murders before as this was a suicide.
I think it is a glitch on their website as the tab says "unidentified remains" as does the web address. "Unsolved murders" has a different tab, different address and different collection of victims.

I will check the French version of the website and get back...
Meurtres non résolus - Service de police de la Ville de Montréal - SPVM
Same glitch in French :(

I was hoping I could find him on this cold cases site List of cases | Cold cases - Sûret&eacute du Québec as a mystery never solved, but no. Two Michels listed but they both are homicides from the 80's.

Something about the bracelet. Could he be wearing jewelry that belonged to a loved one who died. A bracelet like that was very common in a certain era but mostly for women and mostly given by a lover. I can't remember ever seen a man/boy wearing it. Wearing it as a remembrance thing, I can imagine that. Maybe in the US and Canada this is/was different?

I remember once I was following a case about an unidentified body in the St Laurent River under similar circumstances and we had a thread here. A few months later there was a two line report in the media that the body had been identified and that police thanked the public for helping with their enquiries but that was it. We never found out the name or whether our speculations were correct...

I remember once I was following a case about an unidentified body in the St Laurent River under similar circumstances and we had a thread here. A few months later there was a two line report in the media that the body had been identified and that police thanked the public for helping with their enquiries but that was it. We never found out the name or whether our speculations were correct...

In The Netherlands most of the time, especially when there is an UID who took his or her own life they go quietly from the list. Most of the times the family doesn't want to make that public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61
Back