ACTIVE SEARCH Canada - Nathan, 37, Vulnerable ('unable to care for self') Toronto (Jane/Sheppard) 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nathan has the abilities of a 7 year old. Sorry, no link. Just my memory from the news.
rbbm.
"Nathan has Down Syndrome and his cognitive function is diminished," said Duty Insp. Ryan Fore of Toronto police. "He functions at a seven-year-old level."

Nathan stands four-feet-six-inches tall and weighs approximately 170lbs, police said. At the time of his disappearance, he had a full beard and moustache.

Police are asking people to check their backyards, sheds, outbuildings, home security video, and dashcam footage. Anyone with information to contact them at 416-808-3100.''

May 21, 2023
''Jason Babcock, Nathan’s cousin, said there have been no confirmed sightings of Nathan since he went missing.

Family believes Nathan is heading to or is in Waterloo Region because he used to live there, Babcock said. Nathan did not have his wallet or phone when he went missing.''

A group with Babcock as one of six administrators called “Search for Nathan” had about 2,300 members as of Sunday afternoon.

People from different parts of the province commented and asked questions in the group about the search and what appeared to be family, posted updates.'

Nathan has the abilities of a 7 year old. Sorry, no link. Just my memory from the news.
Ooohh, that’s even worse! Gosh, this is so sad. I wonder why he traveled back to Guelph. How did he get the money? It’d be odd if he had cash on him I feel like. Wouldn’t he normally be with a caretaker?

I worked with intellectually disabled adults for over 20 years. While Nathan might be the mental age of a 7 year old, he has something a child that age does not have which is life experience. In his 37 years he has observed and learned a lot. He could travel far, especially if he is verbal. I realize he's vulnerable, so I am concerned, but I'm hopeful he has met caring people along the way and will be found OK.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm thinking this young man could have gone on an adventure. Yes, his metal age is 7 and he is at risk out on his own. I was taking public transit between cities alone at that age, sometimes without money, food, etc. I was able to stay safe and make it. I have faith that he's going to be okay as long as no one intentionally harms him. Nathan, head home soon. All MOO

I'm still rooting for Nathan! Hoping he's out there with that big smile, having fun and found some nice friends. I realize I could be wrong and I'm okay with that. It would be great if this has a happy ending though! Look at that face! All MOO

Ooohh, that’s even worse! Gosh, this is so sad. I wonder why he traveled back to Guelph. How did he get the money? It’d be odd if he had cash on him I feel like. Wouldn’t he normally be with a caretaker?

ETA: I don’t believe there are any confirmed sightings, from what I understand from the FB page (?)

There’s a GO train that goes from Toronto to Guelph. He could ride the trains without buying a ticket and travel until possibly getting stopped by an officer checking for tickets, imo.

If he asks for food or money in the GTA people would likely give it to him and not ask more questions. He may initially come across as being capable and not express that he’s lost.

If he was spotted at Guildwood, there’s a GO station there.

Last edited:
How was he not seen on video camera when he went missing on the 12th? Cameras are everywhere. A direction traveled would certainly have helped in the first few days. It's now been 2 weeks with not one confirmed sighting. Plenty of possible sightings all the way from Toronto to Goderich to Guelph and areas inbetween. There's no way he made it to Goderich or Guelph by walking alone, no matter how determined or resourceful he may be. GO train or bus is a possibility and they have cameras installed.

There is a search planned by family/friends for Saturday morning in the Jane/Shepard area.

How was he not seen on video camera when he went missing on the 12th? Cameras are everywhere. A direction traveled would certainly have helped in the first few days. It's now been 2 weeks with not one confirmed sighting. Plenty of possible sightings all the way from Toronto to Goderich to Guelph and areas inbetween. There's no way he made it to Goderich or Guelph by walking alone, no matter how determined or resourceful he may be. GO train or bus is a possibility and they have cameras installed.

There is a search planned for Saturday morning in the Jane/Shepard area.
Exactly. So odd. He is a pretty distinct guy, you’d think someone would have spotted him. It’s not often you see a grown man the same height as a 9 year old. Besides, Down syndrome isn’t all that common and it’s quite easy to notice. I’m shocked nobody has confirmed any sightings too. Weird!

''Kathleen Matthews has known Nathan for 14 years and is encouraging everyone to keep an eye out.

“The family is incredibly worried about Nathan, just like all friends and greater community supporting in the search for him,” Matthews told CTV Kitchener.

Matthews said she is still in disbelief that he’s been missing for over a week.

“It was shocking, honestly even now it’s hard to believe it’s true. It’s hard to understand what is happening. We just want him to be found because he’s missed by so many people. It’s an incredible amount of people who are worried and missing Nathan,” Matthews said.

Last week, a family contact told CTV News the family has reason to believe Nathan is making his way toward Kitchener-Waterloo, where he previously lived.

On Friday, Guelph police confirmed they received a tip from Toronto police that Nathan was spotted in The Ward neighbourhood. Officers canvassed the area.

On Tuesday morning, Guelph police said they were unable to locate any surveillance cameras to help confirm if Nathan was indeed there and said they don't have any further updates at this time.

Matthews said she has hope he will be found.

“If he’s out there, people are going to see him. The more that join and help look for him, the better the chances we are going to find him and that’s what keeps me going,” she said. “He’s a smart guy. He is very capable, so that keeps me hoping too.”

“He's very charismatic and caring and funny and silly and when you meet him you just want to spend more time with him,” she said.

It is that charismatic energy that got him on the jumbotron at Raptor’s game in 2016.

“He had these awesome dance moves that the crowd was just adoring,” she said.

''If you do spot him, Matthews suggested trying to have a conversation with him.

“If you wanted to talk to him about him about the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Blue Jays or the Raptors. Those are all things he likes to talk about - or really any sports in general. He might be hungry. So offering maybe to buy him some food,” Matthews said.''

Exactly. So odd. He is a pretty distinct guy, you’d think someone would have spotted him. It’s not often you see a grown man the same height as a 9 year old. Besides, Down syndrome isn’t all that common and it’s quite easy to notice. I’m shocked nobody has confirmed any sightings too. Weird
I'm hopeful this story has a positive outcome for Nathan and his family but it's been 2 weeks and that's a long time for anyone to be missing. I will be heading up KW way on the weekend to drive around and hand out flyers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back