ACTIVE SEARCH Canada - Nathan, 37, Vulnerable ('unable to care for self') Toronto (Jane/Sheppard) 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The heat seeking planes can detect a live person who may be hiding in the bushes. It's costly but worth it.
I realize what the planes do, just haven't seen anything about using them on the FB search page. 2 weeks is a long time if he's been out most or all of the time.
I've worked with some pretty resourceful folks with Down Syndrome and one thing the majority have in common is that they do not like to be dirty at all-clothing, hands, it stresses them out. Not sure if Nathan is the same but if he is, he'd be looking to change clothing and clean up somewhere.

I realize what the planes do, just haven't seen anything about using them on the FB search page. 2 weeks is a long time if he's been out most or all of the time.
I've worked with some pretty resourceful folks with Down Syndrome and one thing the majority have in common is that they do not like to be dirty at all-clothing, hands, it stresses them out. Not sure if Nathan is the same but if he is, he'd be looking to change clothing and clean up somewhere.
Many have a very independent streak and really want to live on their own. However, I think by this time he will be tired and wanting to be back in his comfort zone, watching his favourite sports. The Find Nathan FB group says his family thinks he might be hiding, thinking he's in trouble for wandering off/running away... and that "He's very good at hiding."

Last week, a family contact told CTV News the family has reason to believe Nathan is making his way toward Kitchener-Waterloo, where he previously lived.
<snipped to focus on this>

This is my feeling also. His father died in December, and I can't shake the thought that he's trying to get "home". I am so scared for him.

This is going to sound far out there but here goes. Have LE checked all relatives who live in K-W? Could Nathan have told someone he wants to live in K-W again so someone picked him up to take him to their home? Perhaps a meeting place was set up in Toronto and this person picked him up for the trip. And decided to keep Nathan’s whereabouts quiet.

I’m in NS now, but if I were in Toronto I would have loved to have joined in the search as much as I could.

I understand from reading the posts here that Nathan functions at a 7 year old level, but what differs is that he is 37 and has more life experience.

He will interact with people if they call him by name, talk to him about Toronto sports teams or invite him for something to eat or drink, from what I’ve read.

Here’s a section on lost person behaviour for his stated mental age:
Lost Person Behavior
Children (6 to 12 years)
  • Their navigational and direction skills are much more developed.
  • They are generally oriented to their normal familiar surroundings and become confused in a strange environment.

• They may intentionally run away to avoid punishment, gain attention, or sulk.

• Whether it is intentional or accidental circumstances, they often will not answer when called.

• Darkness usually brings on a willingness to accept help and be found.

• Children this age suffer from the same fears and problems that adults would, but with a greater sense of helplessness.

• The circumstances of loss often reflect their being transplanted into a foreign environment or surroundings by parents or other adults.
Having grown up and lived in Toronto for most of my life I know that homeless or challenged people are almost invisible in the city. People may stop to give him food or money, but will otherwise may just ignore him. It sounds terrible, and I agree it is, but it’s a fast-paced densely-populated area and the average person is blind to people that appear in the margins. They’re just trying to get from point a to b without being hassled.

(I consider where he was last seen to be in the GTA and there are unconfirmed sightings of him in the Guildwood/Scarborough area which is far east of where he was last seen).

If he’s there, I’d imagine he’s in the greenbelt area with possible access to discarded food and there are public drinking fountains.

I don’t see how an alert of some kind is not being used. I’ve participated as a volunteer in searches in the GTA. I was constantly astounded by how uninformed people are about active searches for missing, endangered people. Please send out at least one emergency alert so that people will be aware of that fact that he’s missing. They’d do that for a child or elderly person with dementia—why not Nathan?

If I were there, I’d put up flyers where I could. You’re not permitted to place them on TTC or GO train properties, but you can on utility poles near the stations.

I think he ventured out to go back to his old neighborhood and became lost and is likely close to a TTC or GO train station in a green space area. Children tend to go towards water sources, so maybe he’s staying close to the shoreline.

Sorry—too late to edit and add this. When you’re on the GO train the Rouge Hill station area is beautiful and a place I’d think a child or someone like Nathan would want to explore. And if he was the person spotted at Guildwood that’s part of the scenic loop in that area. It’s far from the west end, but maybe that’s the issue: he went east instead of going west towards his old home in K-W.

Sadly I am convinced Nathan got lost along the wooded and park area that runs through the area he was last seen. It is huge ground to cover. The reporting of him being seen outside of Toronto and the suggestion that he was traveling back to his old home took the attention off of Toronto. With only $20.00 he would need help and would have been noticeable if asking for food or money at Jane and Sheppard. Nathan's approach and demeanour would likely single him out from others who regularily fend for themselves on the street.

When someone suggested this to me I did think it was odd but it makes sense. Moving to a new city when he had a familiar routine would have been hard. I don't know that this secret could have been kept for so long though.. It such a sad situation for everyone.
This is going to sound far out there but here goes. Have LE checked all relatives who live in K-W? Could Nathan have told someone he wants to live in K-W again so someone picked him up to take him to their home? P

1685836677656.png
June 3 2023 rbbm.
''It’s been three weeks since a 37-year-old man with Down syndrome formerly from Waterloo region, went missing.

Nathan was last seen in the area of Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue in Toronto.

Volunteers combed through the woods and thick brush on Saturday in the Campbellville area, just west of Milton looking for any sign that Nathan may have retunred to an area he knows well.

It’s part of a grueling search for Nathan, who has been missing since May 12.''

“It gives strength back to the family and the hope that people are out there willing to assist,” said William Bolton, senior trainer of Advanced Tactical Training Search & Rescue.

The sun was beating down on the backs of community volunteers taking on the search, but that didn’t dim hope of finding Nathan.''

''His family declined to speak on camera but told CTV News Nathan was last ween wearing a hoodie with green stripes, black pants, black shoes and a Blue Jays baseball cap.

The description of what Nathan was last wearing when he went missing was only just revealed to the family and searchers.

“We’ll move them around, they’ll search in a little area and then move to a different area, but it’ll be very contained,” Bolton said. “He is drawn to nature. He knows this area [and] he has been here before. The fact that he likes nature, it’s an area of interest.”

Bolton and his rescue dog Sheba were contacted a week ago to help in the search.

“Sheba is trained in water, so she will scent if there’s anything out in the water,” he said. “She has found people out in the water before, so we would then use her beyond our line of sight basically.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back