ACTIVE SEARCH Canada - Nathan, 37, Vulnerable ('unable to care for self') Toronto (Jane/Sheppard) 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just noting, probably unrelated..
Duplicate post by me. Oh no. Thank you for posting dotr. Maybe not Nathan, but some poor soul hopefully with people who loved them

I had a cousin who was 1 year older than me. She was what we called Mentally Retarded (I cringe typing that word) back in the day. She died two years ago. She was 65. Most of her life she was able to live independently, except for maybe the last 5. There were 6 other children in her family, 4 in mine. You can bet your azz if she had ever disappeared our whole family would come together in a heartbeat to find her and never, and I do mean NEVER! Stop till we did. That would also count the next generation of nieces, nephews and second cousin. So, I cannot fathom the lack of energy and response from this family! Why the division? It makes no sense to me!

Just noting, probably unrelated..
A few weeks ago an overturned boat was found in the area so maybe that's who it is.

Still no comment from LE or immediate family. I don't know if a national framework guideline would be of any use. All LE across Canada are able to share, and do so on a regular basis. IF local LE have a policy regarding these or other missing persons, then it is probably Canada Wide. You can bet it's in the "rules & regs"

From link, thanks..
1697121685124.png
''A Facebook page has amassed over 7,000 members who are assisting in the search and supporting Nathan's family.
Nathan has Down syndrome, is four feet, six inches tall, weighs 170 pounds and was last seen with a full beard and moustache. Jason says he walks with a limp, appearing to be slightly off balance.''

"Lack of communications was our biggest roadblock with police," said Maureen Trask, whose son, Daniel, was 28 when he went missing on Nov. 3, 2011.

Daniel's body was found by a volunteer search crew in 2015 after a three-and-a-half-year search.

Trask is now a major advocate for families of missing persons. She says there is no national framework in Canada for how to handle missing persons, with procedures varying greatly between police agencies and data collection fragmented across Canada.

"Navigating the processes and the changes and the procedures was daunting," said Trask.''

Events on the day sports loving Nathan went missing.. imo.

''Toronto Blue Jays vs. Atlanta Braves May 12, 2023​

Presented by Major League Baseball at Rogers Centre, Toronto ON''

Florida Panthers vs Toronto Maple Leafs - May 12, 2023​

https://www.foxsports.com › nhl › nhl-playoffs-round...

Night
+64°
+64°29.46.575%
Morning
+57°
+57°29.53.169%
Day
+70°
+70°29.55.456%
Evening
+77°

Thanks dotr. Are any of those sporting events near where Nathan was last seen? Also, do we know WHO last saw him?

This entire case is so odd. The cousins are so heavily involved and I really feel for them as this has really impacted their lives and their health. The immediate family seems not to be involved at all.

Nathan apparently wasn't reported missing until 2 days after he was last seen due to a communication misunderstanding. It sounded like someone was supposed to pick him up on the 12th but either didn't or did, and he hasn't been seen since.

Nathan resided with his father up until his passing and then Nathan moved in with a sister and brother-in-law. It appears he had some kind of supports while with his father, probably through a Community Living agency or something similiar. He may have also attended a Day Program of some type, however during Covid many of these extra supports were cancelled/terminated. He would have rec'd ODSP monthly (direct deposit most likely) and some passport (formerly SSAH) funding for extra activities and staffing. Upon moving to the sister's, his ODSP should have still continued along with whatever extra funding (Passport) he was entitled to as new funding year starts Apr 1st. IF the family was managing the funding, it should have been an easy transition- just a change of address. But, if an agency was handling it, then perhaps there was a lapse in transferring to another agency. Depending on his needs, his passport funding could be a substantial amount (between $5000 to $20000+ per year).

ETA- the money wouldn't be readily accessible- there are checks and balances for these funds.

Last edited:
Nathan apparently wasn't reported missing until 2 days after he was last seen due to a communication misunderstanding. It sounded like someone was supposed to pick him up on the 12th but either didn't or did, and he hasn't been seen since.

Nathan resided with his father up until his passing and then Nathan moved in with a sister and brother-in-law. It appears he had some kind of supports while with his father, probably through a Community Living agency or something similiar. He may have also attended a Day Program of some type, however during Covid many of these extra supports were cancelled/terminated. He would have rec'd ODSP monthly (direct deposit most likely) and some passport (formerly SSAH) funding for extra activities and staffing. Upon moving to the sister's, his ODSP should have still continued along with whatever extra funding (Passport) he was entitled to as new funding year starts Apr 1st. IF the family was managing the funding, it should have been an easy transition- just a change of address. But, if an agency was handling it, then perhaps there was a lapse in transferring to another agency. Depending on his needs, his passport funding could be a substantial amount (between $5000 to $20000+ per year).

ETA- the money wouldn't be readily accessible- there are checks and balances for these funds.
Thank you puppy raiser (hope they're mini Aussies :) I knew there were funds and programs available, but just not specifics.I wonder if he worked? Now that he's been declared missing, I wonder if these funds/programs cease until found or reinitiated? And did he work? Would he have monies saved or available to him, if no longer working? I'm clueless how this employment works for developmentally challenged.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back