CANADA Canada - Nicole Morin, 8, Toronto, 30 July 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last fall, it seemed there may finally be a break the case when police renewed their efforts to search for clues in Morin’s disappearance on a rural property near Barrie. Armed with advanced search technology and acting on a tip first brought to police in 1985, more than three dozen officers from Toronto Police and the OPP scoured the deserted, heavily wooded property in Springwater Township.

But high hopes did not last long and police turned up no new evidence following an extensive, two-day search.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...r-of-nicole-morins-30-year-disappearance.html

Imo, LE never got on the right track at the time - and are not on the right track now.

I don't believe this little girl left her apartment after speaking to her friend waiting in the lobby. I don't believe it was Nicole speaking on the intercom.

What I do believe is, Nicole was deceased for the better part of 24 hours when her friend called her on the intercom from the lobby.

A mother responsible for her childs death was not something anyone was willing to face in 1985 - we now know it has happened time and time again.

Jmo.

Last fall, it seemed there may finally be a break the case when police renewed their efforts to search for clues in Morin’s disappearance on a rural property near Barrie. Armed with advanced search technology and acting on a tip first brought to police in 1985, more than three dozen officers from Toronto Police and the OPP scoured the deserted, heavily wooded property in Springwater Township.

But high hopes did not last long and police turned up no new evidence following an extensive, two-day search.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...r-of-nicole-morins-30-year-disappearance.html

Imo, LE never got on the right track at the time - and are not on the right track now.

I don't believe this little girl left her apartment after speaking to her friend waiting in the lobby. I don't believe it was Nicole speaking on the intercom.

What I do believe is, Nicole was deceased for the better part of 24 hours when her friend called her on the intercom from the lobby.

A mother responsible for her childs death was not something anyone was willing to face in 1985 - we now know it has happened time and time again.

Jmo.

Interesting theory. What makes you suspect the mother?

http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...er-given-up-hope-that-nicole-is-still-alive-/
Apr 09, 2017

COLD CASE: "We’ve never given up hope that Nicole is still alive”

Etobicoke police continue to investigate 1985 disappearance of Nicole Morin
The hunt for Nicole saw a 20-member police task force and 900 community volunteers undertake a co-ordinated search of the neighbourhood around the area of her Rathburn Road and Hwy. 427 apartment building and far beyond, using cars, horses, aircraft, dogs and all-terrain vehicles.

Between the day of her abduction and January of the following year, more than 15,000 hours were devoted to finding Nicole — yet no trace of her was ever found.

Nevertheless, police at south Etobicoke’s 22 Division have continued their diligent investigation into Nicole’s disappearance. And in the more than three decades since, they’ve steadfastly maintained that someone, somewhere knows what happened to Nicole — and that public awareness is the key to solving the mystery.

“We haven’t given up, and we just hope that everybody who remembers Nicole, or who remembers anything significant from that day or anything that they’ve heard since that time, will contact Toronto police or Crime Stoppers,” Det.-Sgt. Madelaine Tretter said in a recent interview with The Etobicoke Guardian, noting that 22 Division maintains an active team of officers working on Nicole’s file.

“Somebody out there knows what happened to Nicole. It’s quite possible that the person responsible has told somebody else, so we’re hoping that if anyone has received that information, that they’ll do the right thing and come forward with it. Any piece of information is important — it’s all part of the puzzle.”

Stories like this one, I think they keep Nicole’s case fresh in everybody’s mind, and I think by putting it out on social media, you reach a very large audience,” she said, noting that investigators continue to receive “quite a few” Crime Stopper tips about Nicole’s disappearance — some from as far away as British Columbia. “Several of the tips we have investigated, and some of them we’re continuing to investigate. We’ve never given up hope that Nicole is still alive.”
Anyone with information about Nicole Morin’s disappearance is asked to call police at 416-808-2200, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
For more information about Nicole’s case, go to www.facebook.com/findnicolemorin/ or www.missingkids.ca
attachment.php

[h=2]Nicole Morin[/h] Submitted photo Nealy 32 years after her disappearance, police continue the search for Nicole Morin, who was abducted from her Etobicoke apartment building in July 1985. She is seen here on the left at age 8, and on the right in an age-enhanced photo released in 2001.

Attachments

• 3hET_NicoleMorin0307_Gallery.jpg
    3hET_NicoleMorin0307_Gallery.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 78
The mother was the last person to see her alive. Sleuthing 101 imo.

Fair enough, but I would be surprised if her friend didn't recognize a different voice on the intercom instead of Nicole's. Especially since the friend had almost certainly met Nicole's mother many times and would have known the mother's voice too.

I have children and all of them would have known if they were speaking on a phone or intercom with somebody claiming to be their friend, but who wasn't them. For this reason I believe strongly that it was Nicole herself on the intercom.

You also state that you believe that Nicole had been dead 24 hours before she was supposed to have gone missing? What made you think that Nicole had died at that specific time? Half an hour before the arrangement to meet her friend to swim, Nicole went down to the apartment lobby to retrieve her family's post, which means she was alive at that point.

Unless something happened to Nicole at her mother's hands during the 20 minutes or so that she was back in the apartment before she was due to meet her friend (entirely possible I suppose), then the perp was somebody else in that building.

Fair enough, but I would be surprised if her friend didn't recognize a different voice on the intercom instead of Nicole's. Especially since the friend had almost certainly met Nicole's mother many times and would have known the mother's voice too.

I have children and all of them would have known if they were speaking on a phone or intercom with somebody claiming to be their friend, but who wasn't them. For this reason I believe strongly that it was Nicole herself on the intercom.

You also state that you believe that Nicole had been dead 24 hours before she was supposed to have gone missing? What made you think that Nicole had died at that specific time? Half an hour before the arrangement to meet her friend to swim, Nicole went down to the apartment lobby to retrieve her family's post, which means she was alive at that point.

Unless something happened to Nicole at her mother's hands during the 20 minutes or so that she was back in the apartment before she was due to meet her friend (entirely possible I suppose), then the perp was somebody else in that building.

Fair questions - will try to defend my opinion.

Regarding the intercom conversation - muffling one's voice, standing back from the intercom or even making scratching noises while speaking will cause the voice to be distorted. The friend (a child) was unlikely to question, if any or all of these circumstances existed, that she was speaking to Nicole imo. Also, if it was her mother speaking, she would use a softer, higher pitched voice for a short conversation.

As for the rest - it's what isn't present that bothers me the most.

Who independently verified seeing Nicole in the 24 hours prior to her disappearance?

Who saw Nicole go for the mail about 10:30 am? Or did mom say Nicole went to collect the mail? Why would you send a child down to get the mail 30 minutes prior to them going swimming? What was so important to receive that day that collecting the mail couldn't wait until after or on the way back from swimming?

Mom must have been quite trusting of the world to let an 8 year-old travel up and down the elevator by herself - multiple times in a day. I sure would not have done that.

The friend called back on the intercom after 15 minutes to see where Nicole was - and mom did what? It would appear nothing, as she didn't call LE until about 6:00 pm - long after Nicole didn't come home on time from swimming.

If this was an abduction, did Nicole go quietly? Was that the type of person she was? Idk. If Nicole was frightened surely she would have dropped the towel she was carrying. If there was a struggle surely her flip flops would have come off.

No towel, no flip flops. Gone 7 hours before LE was called. Seriously suspicious imo.

The family situation didn't help imo. It can be tough to move on.

Another thing I don't know is, did Nicole's mom have a car? Access to a car?

Look forward to learning more and discussing.

Its late here in the UK, so I will reply more fully in the morning but I don't think a full account has been given of the full 24 hours leading up to Nicole's disappearance, so we can't say if Nicole was sighted during that time. I did think that Nicole had been seen whilst getting the post, but I could be wrong about that.

Nicole's mother ran a daycare in their apartment though, so surely the children could have been asked at the time whether they had seen Nicole. Also their parents might have seen her when they dropped their children off at the apartment.

I bet anything that it was someone who was watching the girls for a while and they lived in the building!

I bet anything that it was someone who was watching the girls for a while and they lived in the building!

Welcome to WS p.ggurl.

Someone from the building, or access to the building is the prevailing theory. How did they pull it off? LE canvassed the building a number of time - no one raised suspicion.

Did an abductor pull Nicole from the elevator? Had they pressed the button for the elevator and it stopped with Nicole in it? They then dragged her down the hall to their apartment? Was the door likely unlocked, or would they then have had to struggle to also open their door? Maybe Nicole was quiet during this abduction - keeping a tight hold on her towel? The abductor made sure to also pick up the towel and any stray flip flops?

Did an abductor take Nicole immediately from the building? Later? Alive or deceased? Deceased would pose a real logistical problem imo.

From page 7, post #96 - first re-enactment released.

[video=youtube;2HievAQhXhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HievAQhXhw[/video]

Seems to still work.

The second re-enactment below, has a different take on the circumstances.

According to initial information, Nicole was wearing canvas shoes as opposed to the flip flops shown in the re-enactments.

Nicole and her mom lived in a penthouse on the 20th floor of the building. Nicole's mom ran a daycare from this apartment at the time.

Other info as you listen to the re-enactments - in the first one, a renowned crime writer states (about half way through) that there was evidence that Nicole made it into the elevator and down to the ground floor. He gives no back-up for this.

The written info included with re-enactment #2 seems to be a hodge-podge of info with no back-up, including Nicole wrote of her disappearance 2 months prior, twenty years after the fact there is info that a woman was seen in the hallway at the time and that much money was spent on private investigator by the parents.

I don't know who authorized or made the re-enactments.

Another piece missing imo - on the 20th anniversary of Nicole's disappearance (2005) her father gives an interview. Nothing from her mother who died suddenly in 2007.

Bolton woman reflects on 32-year disappearance of childhood friend Nicole Morin
“Where is Nicole?”

Bolton resident and Toronto police officer Melissa Elaschuk sees these words, and the face of a young girl she once knew, every day inside the door of her locker at work with the police service.

It is the headline for a newspaper article about the mysterious disappearance of Nicole Morin, an eight-year-old girl who vanished without a trace from her Etobicoke area apartment building on July 30, 1985.

Nicole was Elaschuk's best friend.

Bumping for Nicole
This missing case likely has nothing whatsoever to do with Nicole's disappearance, but noting fwiw, the slimmest of coincidences of another girl,11 yrs old missing since 2001.
This mp was in the company of her sleeping father ( parents split up ) outside a mall when she vanished.
She was last seen in the company of a blond woman boarding a bus.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markowski_bethany.html

Since Nicole's mother ran a daycare, I hope they interviewed all of her clients. I believe she was lured into an apartment, though. If she had been grabbed, the things she'd been carrying would have been dropped and found.

Wanted to bump for Nicole, where are you Nicole?

I have been seeing the name Nicole everywhere the past month (so weird!), but I remembered her and decided to post for her.
I have been reading this case for some time, so thought why not post my opinions and see if i can find some new angle, i think i will post over the next few months on/off to see what i can come up with.

Art apparently had a lie detection test done on himself and passed. Is anyone here in the know of whether the mother Jeanette ever had a lie detector test done? If not that would send alarm bells off in my head especially if she dodged doing it.

If the mother had failed a lie detector test she could have put her job at the time in jeopardy since she was looking after several children in her daycare, not to mention she would be seen as part of a crime. So i really do wonder how she was cleared in this case.

I find it interesting that the mother's son (technically Nicole's brother) went missing for 15 years only to return later, when comparing it to Nicole's case one could say that yes where there's smoke there's fire. I would like more information on the son, who did he go missing with?

When i first read the case i thought the mother may have had something to do with Nicole's disappearance, it seemed a bit too much of a coincidence for both of her children to go missing, almost like someone known to her handled their disappearances.

When it comes to the mother Jeanette's personality and character there is little to go off so of course i dont know what she is like as a person.
If Jeanette had nothing directly to do with the disappearances then perhaps someone she knows/knew did it but she isn't aware who it is.

I am not trying to make out Jeanette is a bad person here but wonder if her background may lead to something unpleasant.
We have no real idea if certain family members or past accomplices are involved with underground crime or anything.

If they are or have some history going back then that might have caught up with them and if there is some bad people connected to family then it could very easily be they have some connection to her disappearance. Art's brother killed his sister, was he involved in other criminal activity?

It could be a stretch. My first impressions are that Art is a bright guy, i thought his ideas about church members or family being involved had some possible weight. It appears they've investigated the church angle and family but I feel they might have missed something.

I have always wondered if the mother Jeanette avoided public interviews for some reason, maybe she feels she would divulge something that impeached her or someone else. Sometimes when people fear giving away important information by accident they stay away from interviews.

Were there other missing children in the wider family beside her Son (whose name escapes me) and Nicole?

Continued..

The other thing is that Art possibly felt that someone on Jeanette's side of things was trying to stop him gaining custody of Nicole, this is a bold thing to say, did he have a realistic reason to think Jeanette's family would be petty over Nicole?

What was Art's relationship like with Jeanette and her family etc? Did he not get on very well with her family/friends/connections? Did he try to gain custody of Nicole around the time she disappeared? I think the answers could give us something to play with.

If Art was trying to gain custody of Nicole was it because he did not trust Jeanette or people close to her for some reason? If the answer to this is "yes" it could open up a can of worms in my view, there may be something more there that is not being alluded to.

Regarding Nicole saying she would disappear in a journal, "disappear" is a strong word for a young child to use randomly in a sentence, its like she has picked this word up somewhere and from someone else who repeatedly said it.

Personally I dont like the idea that it's just a fantasy made up by a child, i think it could go either way and there could be something to it. On the other hand shipping Nicole off to a new family is also possible but in my view unlikely, why would a parent get rid of their child in this way?

To go so long without being found would mean Nicole would have to have been brainwashed completely and limited to what she can i.e leaving the house. Its interesting that some people have come forward claiming to be Nicole.

A lot of people will always come back to the "strange situation" regarding the friend calling up and the mother Jeanette saying Nicole will be right down even though Nicole had left several minutes earlier (correct me if I'm wrong), one could question this.

I am on the fence about it personally, would a mother really think her daughter would take 10-15 mins to get to the ground floor keeping her friend waiting? Also the following by the mother Jeanette made me question this a bit, I cant remember the exact source:

"It was around three o'clock in the afternoon when I realized something was going on. I just became in a daze. I kept saying, 'Oh,she's got to be with somebody playing and she forgot.' Around six o'clock, I couldn't put up with it any more. I called the cops."'

She realized "something is going on" at 3pm but then waited until 6pm to call the cops? Perhaps it is just choppy language or perhaps she was the kind of person who gives people the benefit of the doubt all the time before acting, i dont know.

Of course I also think the "sexual predator abduction" angle is just as likely but i will post about that another time. Nicole may still be alive given dogs have not found anything over the years but it may also be that she is deceased and her body is well hidden somewhere.

JMO. Peace.

Bumping for Nicole. Was it ever confirmed if they found a shoe in the elevator or not? Or why are they certain that she made it to the elevator?

Wanted to bump for Nicole, where are you Nicole?

I have been seeing the name Nicole everywhere the past month (so weird!), but I remembered her and decided to post for her.
I have been reading this case for some time, so thought why not post my opinions and see if i can find some new angle, i think i will post over the next few months on/off to see what i can come up with.

Art apparently had a lie detection test done on himself and passed. Is anyone here in the know of whether the mother Jeanette ever had a lie detector test done? If not that would send alarm bells off in my head especially if she dodged doing it.

If the mother had failed a lie detector test she could have put her job at the time in jeopardy since she was looking after several children in her daycare, not to mention she would be seen as part of a crime. So i really do wonder how she was cleared in this case.

I find it interesting that the mother's son (technically Nicole's brother) went missing for 15 years only to return later, when comparing it to Nicole's case one could say that yes where there's smoke there's fire. I would like more information on the son, who did he go missing with?

When i first read the case i thought the mother may have had something to do with Nicole's disappearance, it seemed a bit too much of a coincidence for both of her children to go missing, almost like someone known to her handled their disappearances.

When it comes to the mother Jeanette's personality and character there is little to go off so of course i dont know what she is like as a person.
If Jeanette had nothing directly to do with the disappearances then perhaps someone she knows/knew did it but she isn't aware who it is.

I am not trying to make out Jeanette is a bad person here but wonder if her background may lead to something unpleasant.
We have no real idea if certain family members or past accomplices are involved with underground crime or anything.

If they are or have some history going back then that might have caught up with them and if there is some bad people connected to family then it could very easily be they have some connection to her disappearance. Art's brother killed his sister, was he involved in other criminal activity?

It could be a stretch. My first impressions are that Art is a bright guy, i thought his ideas about church members or family being involved had some possible weight. It appears they've investigated the church angle and family but I feel they might have missed something.

I have always wondered if the mother Jeanette avoided public interviews for some reason, maybe she feels she would divulge something that impeached her or someone else. Sometimes when people fear giving away important information by accident they stay away from interviews.

Were there other missing children in the wider family beside her Son (whose name escapes me) and Nicole?

Hello jaycool. Thank you for your posts and your perspective.

In all the years I have been following this tragic case, I have never once heard about Nicole’s brother going missing as well, and for 15 years?! I am astounded to hear about this.

I have tried googling for more information regarding what you wrote, however I wasn’t successful.

Do you have any more information about him? How old was he when he went missing? Was he abducted? Did he manage to escape his kidnappers after all that time? How horrific that two children in the same family went missing.

Would certainly appreciate any more info you are able to provide, or any links.

Thank you.

ETA: Art’s brother killed his sister? Yet more info I had never heard of before. So much tragedy in this one family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob
Back