Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

956545.jpg

3719719.bin

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/27/3050041.htm?site=idx-nsw

Posted October 27, 2010 18:50:00

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the family of a South Coast man missing in Canada remain optimistic that he's still alive.

Owen Rooney from Milton hasn't been seen since he left a British Colombia hospital where he was seeking treatment for head injuries after being assaulted.

The assault happened days after a music festival where according to his mother Sharron Rooney, he took mushrooms and became paranoid and confused.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the family of a South Coast man missing in Canada remain optimistic that he's still alive.
The assault happened days after a music festival where according to his mother Sharron Rooney, he took mushrooms and became paranoid and confused.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Corporal Dan Moskaluk says there's no clue as to where he is despite the use of helicopters and even psychics.

If Owen took mushrooms at the music festival, I don't see how that has anything to do with him still being missing. A trip usually lasts up to 10 hours +/-, and even if it was a "bad trip", any negative side effects he may have experienced should have worn off by the time of his disappearance. While side effects have been known to last longer, it doesn't explain his seemingly normal behaviour while with the police officer, nor does it explain his ongoing failure to surface. IMO, he's not out there somewhere suffering the mental or physical side effects, or any result of a bad trip.

Holy Heck!

This is the first i've heard of this @ all! I wonder why we never know about people who go missing from Australia - How horrible!

I don't know how the Canadian system works but here CT scans are avoided at all costs - Unless they have sufficent cause to proceed. IMHO i'm guessing they were holding him for observation until he came through.

Do we know why he was seeking treatment for being beaten ?

How do they know he walked away ?

This .... to me anyway sounds extremely suss...

Well not Australia - but an Australian Citzen goes missing & heard nothing about it...

A family from Australia has lodged a formal complaint with the Interior Health Authority over treatment of their son as they continue their search for him after more than 10 weeks.

Owen Rooney was badly beaten and confused when he checked into Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital in Grand Forks, B.C., Aug. 14, but the 24-year-old walked out of the facility after staying just one night.

The man's parents, Steve and Sharron, left their jobs in Australia and along with two daughters now search full time, staying at a motel in Grand Forks, about 350 kilometres east of Vancouver.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-co...n-rooney-missing-complaint.html#ixzz13fVr4hAG

I wonder if Owen was approached by any religious type group or cult and taken in without realizing he is not a "lost soul" just a young man,lost.
Many years ago, while travelling with a group of people,one of our members went missing, after enjoying a late night party.We didn't notice until the morning that he was gone and by late afternoon we started looking for him around the small town, suddenly in the distance, we saw a familiar looking figure , wearing unfamiliar clothing.It was who we were looking for, he sheepishly explained that after the party, he wandered around and somehow just lay down(to sleep off the booze),when he was awoken by kindly strangers, who brought him back to their 'religious retreat", where he was given a bath,fresh clothes and a hot meal.He was encouraged/pressured to stay,but slipped away and found himself stumbling back into town ,confused but apparently, with no aversion to a continued life of partying! A few years later,I learned of a dangerous cult(think cool aid) that was operating in that area (it became headline making news) and I sometimes wonder if that group was the same one who( rescued?) our missing companion.
Anyway, just putting that out there because there are some people, with either good or bad intentions, who may not read the papers ,watch T.V. or go on the net,they may just go out looking for people, who simply "fell down the rabbit hole".

I seriously question who the peeps are that Owen encountered in Christina Lake, and the story they gave about Owen's presence there.

Not long ago, a young person i know was invited by an acquaintance to a rural property they lived at. Turns out the acquaintance was living there temporarily as guardian of a major grow. Next thing, big scarey peeps came to the property, demanding to know who this young stranger was. The kid was scared stiff and was truthful. Long story short, they photographed the kid, got name, addy, phone etc, and advised that if ANYTHING happened at the grow-op, kid was the first person they would come looking for.

Owen spends 2 days in the medical tent, then he gets beaten up for trespassing, then he spends one night in the hospital where they just let him walk away. It is a very strange series of events. I agree with the story I linked to above that foul play is not that likely (although you never know). Since he was assaulted for trespassing I don't think it is very likely he was followed and kidnapped from the hospital. I fear that the theory in the article might be true. He went hiking through the forest back home (300 km!). Without his backpack and in his confused state of mind that doesn't sound good, but I really hope he will show up soon. All JMO.

Thanks for this link...IMO we are starting to get a better picture of what may have happened to Owen :(

Snipped from the link sherlockh provided...

The 24-year-old stayed on this summer and headed to the Shambhala Music Festival in British Columbia's south east in August.

His mother, Sharon Rooney, says her son's friends have told her he took a hallucinogenic drug, spent the last two days of the event at a medical tent and missed his ride home.

SHARRON ROONEY: Apparently Owen had taken mushrooms and they really didn't agree with him, put him into a state of paranoia and confusion and that lasted right up until when he was assaulted at Christina Lake which is about four or five days later.

EMILY LAURENCE: In a confused and disoriented state, she says he was assaulted after he trespassed on a private property, suffering bruising to his face and temples and bleeding from the ears.

Police believe he was looking for friends and didn't know where he was.

From there he caught a bus to a hospital at the nearby town of Grand Forks.

Mrs Rooney says she believes the hospital didn't fully monitor her son or realise his state of mind.

SHARON ROONEY: He was virtually left to his own devices and at tea time they noticed that he was eating his dinner outside, and by seven o'clock they noticed that he wasn't there.

EMILY LAURENCE: Despite a number searches and an extensive media campaign there's no clue as to where he's gone.

SHARRON ROONEY: He left behind his full back pack, his jumper, sunglasses, cell phone, so he walked out of there with virtually nothing, maybe he had his wallet, we're not sure.

Been reading up on mushroom induced psychosis - there's plenty on the www from personal posts in forums by & about people forever changed by their mushroom experience(s) to journals & medical research.

For example: EMCDAA thematic papers - Hallucinogenic mushrooms: emerging trend case study - found here: http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_31215_EN_TP_Hallucinogenic_mushrooms.pdf

Snipped from page 22 - 23...

Mental Health Risks
Use of hallucinogenic mushrooms is more commonly linked to mental health risks. Although there is no evidence of what proportion of users experience a "bad trip", it is these users who are most likely to contact emergency care systems. In such cases, the intoxicated individuals are usually extremely anxious, severely agitated, confused and disoriented, with impaired concentration and judgement. In serious cases, acute psychotic episodes may occur, including bizarre and frightening images, severe paranoia and total loss of reality, which may lead to accidents, self-injury or suicide attempts. A UK clubbing mag survey conducted in 2005 found that nearly a quarter of those who had used hallucinogenic mushrooms in the last year had experienced a panic attack (Mixmag 2000 - 2005).

A bad trip is usually followed by faintness, sadness and depression, paranoid interpretations, etc... which may persist for days, weeks or even months. Some of these symptoms are likely to be associated with the use of other controlled substances. Intermittent and chronic psychotic states resulting from hallucinogenic mushrooms are possible. In some individuas, use can bring to the surface underlying psychotic or personality disorders. Flashbacks can occur, although less frequently than with LSD....

It is odd that they are now saying Owen caught a bus from Christina Lake to the Grand Forks hospital. What happened to all the info about the LEO driving him from Christina Lake to GF?

Holy Heck!

This is the first i've heard of this @ all! I wonder why we never know about people who go missing from Australia - How horrible!

I don't know how the Canadian system works but here CT scans are avoided at all costs - Unless they have sufficent cause to proceed. IMHO i'm guessing they were holding him for observation until he came through.

Do we know why he was seeking treatment for being beaten ?

How do they know he walked away ?

This .... to me anyway sounds extremely suss...
hi kileyizzle!
From what we have learned, seems we was feeling disoriented, and had blood on his ears. Nobody knows why he walked away from the hospital, at first we thought he had been formally discharged from the hospital after one-night stay, but now it appears that he just walked away leaving his backpack and his belongings behind.

There is some discussion going on in the Discussion Forum, you are most welcome to join in :) Here is the link:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5688018#post5688018

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder
Back