GUILTY Canada - Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, murdered, 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=2a0fec0f-f2c4-4acf-b4d9-729bfacba68f

MONTREAL -- Karla Homolka has resurfaced.

The notorious sex killer has not been seen in public since last summer, when a Toronto Sun reporter found her working in a hardware store in Longueuil.

But her brief spell out of the spotlight is over.

As she walked out of her east-end apartment just after 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Homolka was greeted by a Global television reporter who has been keeping tabs on her since Christmas.

Casshew said:
I don't think there is a cure for pedophiles
I don't think Carla satisfies the true definition of a pedophile.

I do agree that there is no "cure" for pedophelia any more than there is a "cure" for heterosexuality or homosexuality. However, I do believe - though rare - there are people who are able to control their actions in relation to their desire to have sex with children because they know it is wrong.

Carla has committed some of the worst crimes I have ever read about, but I too hope she can be graced with rehabilitation and redemption.

southcitymom said:
I don't think Carla satisfies the true definition of a pedophile.

I do agree that there is no "cure" for pedophelia any more than there is a "cure" for heterosexuality or homosexuality. However, I do believe - though rare - there are people who are able to control their actions in relation to their desire to have sex with children because they know it is wrong.

Carla has committed some of the worst crimes I have ever read about, but I too hope she can be graced with rehabilitation and redemption.
I do think she fits the definition of antisocial personality disorder. Sociopathy is a personality disorder for which there is no cure, although some sociopaths "mellow out" in their 40's as they age. She feels no guilt or remorse, and lacks empathy for others. Sociopaths are usually impulsive, and have a complete and total disregard for others and the rules of society.

southerngirl said:
I do think she fits the definition of antisocial personality disorder. Sociopathy is a personality disorder for which there is no cure, althought some sociopaths "mellow out" in their 40's as they age. She feels no guilt or remorse, and lacks empathy for others. Sociopaths are usually impulsive, and have a complete and total disregard for others and the rules of society.
I haven't really kept up with her since her release from prison, though the Judge that released her after her parole vioaltion seemed to think she made some strides in the 12 years of incarceration. I wonder what those strides were - what he saw that we don't know about.

I was always kind of dumbfounded that she didn't go to prison for a much longer time originally.

I don't know much about psychological disorders, but certainly no guilt or remourse, lack of empathy, impulsivity, total disregard for others and society's rules describes Karla to a tee.

So if a sociopath is incurable does that mean, by definition, they will re-offend? - or will probably re-offend until they possibly mellow out?

southcitymom said:
So if a sociopath is incurable does that mean, by definition, they will re-offend? - or will probably re-offend until they possibly mellow out?
There is a high liklihood they will. Dh is a psychologist, and worked in the prison system for a number of years. I've learned a lot through him. He doesn't believe rehabilitation for people with antisocial personality disorder is effective. He generally thinks they should be locked away from the rest of us until the end of their lives so they don't hurt others. He has recommended parole for only a very few inmates over the years.

southerngirl said:
There is a high liklihood they will. Dh is a psychologist, and worked in the prison system for a number of years. I've learned a lot through him. He doesn't believe rehabilitation for people with antisocial personality disorder is effective. He generally thinks they should be locked away from the rest of us until the end of their lives so they don't hurt others. He has recommended parole for only a very few inmates over the years.

I don't counsel those with anti social or border line personality disorders, but, I have colleagues who do. They tell me that, in their experience, there is basically a 0% rehab rate for these disorder. The problem being that this type of personality is so manipulative and so adept at lying it's hard to tell during therapy if the patient is being honest, therefore, making any progress.

WISCer said:
I don't counsel those with anti social or border line personality disorders, but, I have colleagues who do. They tell me that, in their experience, there is basically a 0% rehab rate for these disorder. The problem being that this type of personality is so manipulative and so adept at lying it's hard to tell during therapy if the patient is being honest, therefore, making any progress.
Thanks for the info southerngirl and WISCer.

LovelyPigeon said:
Thanks, mic...I hadn't read that article.

It's hard to believe LaPointe's claim that he didn't know Homolka was ordered not to be in charge of children.

I won't be a popular slant, I'm sure, but it sounds to me as if LaPointe had in mind to set Homolka up to break the conditions of her parole so he could be responsible for sending her back to prison for 2 years.
It beggars the point, hoever, that HOMOLKA knew what the conditions of her parole were.

HeartofTexas said:
Here's a few more quotes re Karla from this book:

"Karla and Paul made a sex tape together, after Tammy Lynn's funeral, that was truly shocking. In it, as Karla stripped Paul, she told him that she had loved it when he'd raped Tammy and that she was happy he had wanted her to do sexual things with her sister - the sister they had just killed together. She suggested that he should get even youner girls for them to play with together - a line clearly not scripted by him. After that, she used her dead sister's panties to rub him into an e--ection, all the while encouraging him to continue to rape young girls. In a different scene on the same tape, she put on Tammy's clothing and pretended to be her sister making love to Paul."

My opinion is she'll be right back in prison soon, which will be of great benefit to society.
That is the one thing that has stuck in my mind all this time. Yes, the other deaths were horrible and totally uncalled for and I feel for their families with my whole heart. But this, this is grossness of humanity on the basest levels. To pretend to be your own sister to please your husband after you helped molest, then kill her, is the sickest thing I've ever heard in my life. Makes my skin crawl.

I agree with your last statement totally. And the world will be much safer!

Karla has been found by Global reporter.

MONTREAL -- Karla Homolka has resurfaced.

The notorious sex killer has not been seen in public since last summer, when a Toronto Sun reporter found her working in a hardware store in Longueuil.

But her brief spell out of the spotlight is over.

As she walked out of her east-end apartment just after 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Homolka was greeted by a Global television reporter who has been keeping tabs on her since Christmas.

~more at link~

Homolka helped take three children's lives. Now she may have created one.
Details are sketchy, but it appears the freed schoolgirl killer may have secretly had a baby.
Rampant rumours, tips and a string of circumstances suggest Homolka is now married and, in the past few days, gave birth to a bouncing baby boy in a Montreal hospital.
If all of this is true, it appears that the fantasy she held for all of her 12 years in prison is now complete. Now 36, Homolka will have a new hubby and a new baby to go with the puppy she picked up within weeks of her July 2005 prison release.
The happy family has been created within 1 1/2 years of her release. But that should come as no surprise. She has planned it all along. In a 1998 prison evaluation, Homolka mapped out her criteria for the man who would succeed her first husband, infamous serial killer, sadist and rapist Paul Bernardo.

C.Whalen said:
Homolka helped take three children's lives. Now she may have created one.
Details are sketchy, but it appears the freed schoolgirl killer may have secretly had a baby.
Rampant rumours, tips and a string of circumstances suggest Homolka is now married and, in the past few days, gave birth to a bouncing baby boy in a Montreal hospital.
If all of this is true, it appears that the fantasy she held for all of her 12 years in prison is now complete. Now 36, Homolka will have a new hubby and a new baby to go with the puppy she picked up within weeks of her July 2005 prison release.
The happy family has been created within 1 1/2 years of her release. But that should come as no surprise. She has planned it all along. In a 1998 prison evaluation, Homolka mapped out her criteria for the man who would succeed her first husband, infamous serial killer, sadist and rapist Paul Bernardo.
Is there a link for this story?

OMG.

The news is going off today.

What a crazy world we live in.

Oh Lord say it isnt so, I was hoping and praying she would never reproduce.

Oooh. That's incredible.
Haven't seen any of this on the Canadian news channels. Is there a link?

I hate to be unforgiving, but may it haunt her... every milestone her child makes- that they are the same milestones once reached by her own sister.

For all the love she feels for her child, let her realize, truly realize, what she stole from her own parents.

For the future that her child has, may she remember the future she took from her sister, and other young women.

Karla will live in fear every day for her child's safety. Because she knows what evil lurks out in the world.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lawyers and others close to Karla Homolka said yesterday they knew nothing about reports the released sex killer had recently given birth.

Tim Danson, who represents the families of two of Ms. Homolka's victims, said he understood the woman's father, Karel Homolka, had publicly suggested that Ms. Homolka had had a baby, though the lawyer said he was skeptical about the report.

The story was news to Ruth Gagnon, executive director of the Elizabeth Fry Society of Quebec, the offender social service agency that helped Ms. Homolka when she was still in prison and since she was released in July, 2005.

"I don't know where this information came from," she said. "I think it is some sort of rumour. I have no information ? It's the first time I've heard about this."

Sylvie Bordelais, Ms. Homolka's lawyer in CanWest, said all she knew was what she learned from reporters and a CanWest radio station.

"I don't have any clue right no w," she said last night.

Ms. Homolka served a 12-year sentence after pleading guilty to her part in the kidnapping and murder of schoolgirls Kristen French, 15, and Leslie Mahaffy, 14. She later was the prosecution's key witness in the trial of her husband, Paul Bernardo, who was convicted of murder in the deaths and is serving a life sentence.

The Crown initially convinced a Quebec judge to impose certain conditions on her freedom under a section of the Criminal Code that applies to ex-convicts who have served their entire term, but that decision was overturned on appeal.

Ms. Homolka's name has continued to surface in the news periodically since her controversial release, but little is known about her life on the outside. A TV reporter found her in a CanWest neighbourhood last summer, but she refused to talk.

Ms. Gagnon of the Elizabeth Fry Society said her client should be left alone.

"It's important that people who leave prison have a private life so they can rebuild their lives," she said. "As long as they respect the law and are good citizens, I think that it's their business."

Tblackwell@nationalpost.com

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=82d015cf-a1b6-4b8e-b7c9-74775b7a9f7d

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back