CANADA Canada - Ryan Shtuka, 20, Kamloops, BC, 17 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
KSAR returns to Sun Peaks to search for Ryan Shtuka

Snipped...
“To me, it seems obvious he didn’t walk home and get lost or fall asleep in a snow bank,” Hobler said. “It kind of feels like something else happened, who knows what that was — and maybe he did walk up one of the ski runs. Maybe [he was] despondent — that’s a possibility — maybe he went to another friend’s place, maybe he went for a walk somewhere else. There was a theory he went off for pizza in the village.”

ETA: Anyone ever try to WALK UP a ski run????????????????

Last edited:
that is what I am thinking

from your link

Hobler said they determined its search area based on previous cases, the majority of which involve a five-kilometre radius of where the person was last seen, which in this case would go to the top of ski hills.

“We’ll never be able to search all that,” he said.

KSAR returns to Sun Peaks to search for Ryan Shtuka

ETA: Anyone ever try to WALK UP a ski run????????????????

From the article:
“There’s a lot of snow that fell. I think it was 22 centimetres of snow fell, from the time Shtuka went missing to the time it was reported to us, so any clues was quite likely buried in the snow,” Hobler said.

That's about 9 inches of snow, much more than what I had gathered from weather.com's data, so Ryan would be much harder to find.
As to walking ski runs, people do that in the mountains even without a groomed ski run, but it seems unlikely if you have been at a party in town where you are probably not wearing good boots or have snowshoes with you.

I don’t live in the area where Ryan went missing. I do live in an area where it gets very cold and where we get significant amounts of snow.

It is, unfortunately, very easy for a body not to be found for quite some time even after snow has melted.

For starters: if someone succumbs to cold/stumbles into a snow-bank/falls over etc etc, as winter progresses/more snow falls etc, the machinery used to keep roads clear just pushes the snow (banks) as far back from the road as possible. Or even heavier machinery comes in and scoops up as much piled-up compacted snow as possible then transports it to a snow “dump”. Some snow dumps never melt down completely from one year to the next.

Then in spring, as the snow melts, the vegetation comes back amazingly fast and takes over, so to speak.

Sometimes bodies, or remains, don’t show up for a couple of years until someone stumbles over them accidentally, even if they are in a roadside ditch or only a few yards off the road.

Just trying to point out how hard it could be to find Ryan.

I just feel uncomfortable with the gang sign photo

it is not a natural resting place for a hand on a pals shoulder during a picture

I cant make my pinky finger do what that guy is doing !

The party goers silence is also concerning moo

ryan-shtuka.jpg

Last edited:
June 7th Ryan's mother made an informative post on the MISSING: Ryan Shutka FB page - here it is:

Heather Warren Shtuka
June 7 at 12:19pm
Today I thought I would do a FAQ post.

I get messages throughout the day from people wanting to know. “ What is happening with the search? Why do you believe? How are you so certain? What do the RCMP say? Where do you go from here?”

Is it a bit nosy to ask? Perhaps, but I created this page to help bring Ryan home and to also create awareness of what happens when a loved one goes missing. Through my posts, I have tried to share memories of my son so that you may appreciate our love for him but to also know his character.

Why do we believe Ryan to be in the Sun Peak’s area? It is not based on mother’s intuition. I will say I am trying to be more retrospective when it comes to my spiritual side while maintaining what has always been my strength: my intelligence. I would never be so arrogant to dismiss what is factual because I want to believe.

The truth is, there is no proof that Ryan left the hill. The RCMP have no evidence and our private investigators found no evidence. Does that mean that at some point they may? Of course, when you search long enough, something is bound to come to light. Both are committed to continue searching and for that we are grateful.

Most people have a back story. Stressors or reasons that could point to why they may find themselves missing. Drugs, alcohol, despondency, jealousy, disconnection to family and friends, or anger. Ryan, by all accounts, had none of these.

But you are just his mother, how could you know? Well I can’t, in all honesty. But what I will say is that the friends he met in just 2 months are as adamant about his character and routine as his best friends from grade school. That matches what we know of him.

Could something random have happened to him? Certainly. But up until now, there has been nothing to suggest that or any other scenarios.

But if that is all true, shouldn’t you have found him by now? How desperately I wish that were the case. We have searched as many square inches of the area as we know. It is so vast and completely covered in either snow or now underbrush, that makes searching so tedious. We also can’t say for sure the direction he took, or his level of intoxication. What was going through his mind will forever be unknown.

How long will you search? Until my last breath. This is my son. He deserves nothing less. Even if he left willing, unwilling or unknowingly, we are committed to finding him. He is my son and I would burn the world to the ground to find him.

What happens next? The RCMP continue their investigation. We will go back and search this week before heading back home for Jordyn’s graduation. Our plan is to come back at the end of July, in August, September and October. We will come to Sun Peaks each month until the snow falls and when it melts, we will come again. We will never stop searching.

Can I still come and search, even if you are not there? We would be grateful if you did. There is no specific area. Now it is just hiking the trails and the ski outs, looking for articles of clothing.

How long will you post? I think you must be tired of me. I honestly don’t know. I will do it as long as it feels right, I suppose.

Please know, you have all had such a huge impact on our family. We are grateful for each blessing you have given us. More importantly for what you have given yourselves, your community and this world.

Ryan’s legacy will always be about kindness and the power of love.

34727548_10155225555962693_387469186118451200_n.jpg

Last edited:
ty my dear

that is just overwhelming to me

Sunshine man here cant imagine living in all that hassle

spending endless hours every day dressing

to go to ones car one has to put on 17 layers

the car heater works

shed clothes

stop for a cup of coffee

cant go from your car to the door

get in

the heat is on

have to shed

cant go from the place back to your car might get frostbite

all on again

get in your warm car

have to shed again

get to your office have to relayer

get into your warm office

everything off

want to go out for a bite

have to put it all on again

get into warm resuarant

take it all off again

to go back out to your car and not get frozen all on again

car still warm

take it all off

to get back to office put it all on

office warm

all off again

rinse and repeat

oh thank goodness I have lived in sunshine my whole life

here is how it works

throw on a pair of shorts-- on your way !!!

exit

AC keeps one comfortable

jackets are all over the place

they typically stink

heavy

what a hassle

walking a slip hassle

have to focus on the ground to keep from ending up a paraplegic!

the clothes are heavy and bulky

if it is snowing you get wet and cold

on big highways it turns into gross ugly mud

driving is a death trap

sunshine !!!

jmo!
All true, living with ice and snow is exhausting and time consuming too, but it might help explain why cooler climates seem to inhibit or delay violent tendencies.
Why is Hot Weather Linked to More Violent Crime?
"Why is Hot Weather Linked to More Violent Crime?
By Traci Pedersen
A team of researchers has developed a new model to better explain why violent crime rates are consistently higher near the equator compared to other parts of the world.

The new model, called CLASH (CLimate Aggression, and Self-control in Humans), moves well beyond the simple fact that heat is linked to aggressive behavior. It suggests that a hot climate combined with less variation in seasonal temperatures can lead to a faster life strategy, less focus on the future, and less self-control, all of which contribute to aggression and violence."

“Strong seasonal variation in temperature affects culture in powerful ways. Planning in agriculture, hoarding, or simply preparing for cold winters shapes the culture in many ways, often with people not even noticing it. But it does shape how much a culture values time and self-control,” said van Lange."

All true, living with ice and snow is exhausting and time consuming too, but it might help explain why cooler climates seem to inhibit or delay violent tendencies.
Why is Hot Weather Linked to More Violent Crime?
"Why is Hot Weather Linked to More Violent Crime?
By Traci Pedersen
A team of researchers has developed a new model to better explain why violent crime rates are consistently higher near the equator compared to other parts of the world.

The new model, called CLASH (CLimate Aggression, and Self-control in Humans), moves well beyond the simple fact that heat is linked to aggressive behavior. It suggests that a hot climate combined with less variation in seasonal temperatures can lead to a faster life strategy, less focus on the future, and less self-control, all of which contribute to aggression and violence."

“Strong seasonal variation in temperature affects culture in powerful ways. Planning in agriculture, hoarding, or simply preparing for cold winters shapes the culture in many ways, often with people not even noticing it. But it does shape how much a culture values time and self-control,” said van Lange."

this is amazing!!

Do you have a link to the source of this photo?

And what particular meaning do you attribute to the “gang sign”?

ryan shtuka missing kamloops - Google Search

they are very specific

i worked with troubled youth and gang members

but there are entire vocabularies that are different depending on the gang location what kinda stuff they are into etc etc

anyone that has a young person that is secretly making there fingers do totally unnatural things ought to be checking there kids SM chances are good one will find others on there SM

its rebellion it a sense of unity that big people dont catch ( teachers parents probation officers therapists - until you know what to look for

its very sneaky

quick

in group you could catch em

spontaneous -- the pic looks like a caught in the moment shot that is how it works its a flash

the rock and roll notion seems like it would be longer like hands in the air both of em hearing a song etc

this just had the instant feeling of oh shi$ there throwing signs

people at a party supposedly with friends and one of them vanish off the planet if the party was about some beer the total lack of info about the party is problematic IMO

number there when start etc etc

we know nothing about a house party

all behavior has meaning

certainly seems like noone is talking

that too is congurent with gang stuff

they tend not to be fond of LE

one can get killed by talking

IMO speculation only it does not have a good feeling

i just have trouble thinking three of us walk out of a party and two people keep walking

if one was with a friend and that friend stopped to tie shoe i would think ones natural reaction would be to stop with your friend

i suppose it would depend on state of main at the time

he def was partying the one pic at the rave he has cocktail and the shirt he has on matches what the description is

total speculation

certainly conditions are ripe for an innocent sad tragedy but in total context feels off

speculation only

imagine waving your arms in the air to a song you like -- its not something you do on someones shoulder

just my notions and concerns

its been a long time if the kids talked there would be some details about the party itself and notions about how many and who went to the rave how long they were there was it good

was it a fun party

were they coworkers mixed etc

Last edited:
Re: the hand gesture
Could some body please link to a source for what the different signs may mean. I know that some of these meanings might just be street lore but when I search thumb touching center finger, I see a lot relating to peace, understanding and patience and are often used in yoga.
If it is thumb touching ring finger, well that is something else all together, it's called a "shocker" and meant to imply a sexual technique...but not a known gang sign...just lads with wishful thinking.

Just reviewing earlier reports.

Snipped...
...Heather Shtuka and her husband Scott received a message from Ryan’s roommate late on Feb. 17 saying Ryan hadn’t showed up at work and they had filed a missing persons report, but not to worry.

...A snowboard lover, he came to Sun Peaks in December with some friends to work for Sun Peaks Resort LLP. It wasn’t his first time in the resort; his family rented a home to celebrate New Year’s Eve a few years ago.

Parents of Ryan Shtuka searching for answers

He got there in Dec wonder if he really knew the people he was with that night ( in like 6 weeks)?

How many winters did he go there to work ?

Do we know how many roomates there were?

How long would he work before going back ?

Good lord high today is simmering minus three degrees

Weather

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members