Found Deceased Canada - Samantha Higgins, 22, LaSalle, QC, 6 July 2015 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Now with the information we know of NF being on house arrest for his prior conviction, I have to think maybe he couldn't go out of the house at all.

If NF was on house arrest, why would his parents be watching the kids?

(I think the 24 years is supposed to be 24 months)

He was not on house arrest, as far as I know. he was just on probation. Can anyone confirm?

Here is another 'lost in translation' moment:

The parties agreed to recommend a sentence of two years less a day to be served in the community. He is under house arrest 24 hours during the first 24 years of his sentence, except for work or study.

This is a bad translation.

The 2nd sentence should read "For the 1st year of his sentence he is under house arrest 24 hours per day, except for work or study"

C.f. Original in French : Il est assigné à résidence 24 heures sur 24 durant la première année de sa condamnation, sauf pour travailler ou étudier.
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...li-de-voleur-repenti-a-suspect-de-meurtre.php

This is another lost in translation moment:

This is a bad translation.

The 2nd sentence should read "For the 1st year of his sentence he is under house arrest 24 hours per day, except for work or study"

C.f. Original in French : Il est assigné à résidence 24 heures sur 24 durant la première année de sa condamnation, sauf pour travailler ou étudier.
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/j...li-de-voleur-repenti-a-suspect-de-meurtre.php

Thanks, I guess we can thank good old Google for that one.

When NF was first arrested the motive for murdering Samantha was reported as jealousy.

The jealousy argument was the reporter's/media's own speculation. It wasn't "sources close to the case suggest jealousy was the motivating factor".

Going over chronological sequence of news reports. Trying to align all the half facts up.

This moved me to tears http://montrealgazette.com/news/samantha-higgins-was-such-a-sweet-soul-her-devastated-mother-says

This is before NF was arrested yet after SH was confirmed dead.
Oh how my heart hurts for VH. To console your daughters killer & put his pain first. Strong woman.

From the article:
The children have stayed with him since last week as the family readies to tell them what happened, Higgins said. She’s been reading books and trying to figure out the best way to do so. They want to make sure they can do it without breaking down, she said.

“This has taken its toll on him,” Higgins said Monday afternoon. She added that he hasn’t left the house or the kids yet.

“My heart feels really bad for him, when I see him I can’t even think of my own feelings.”

I pretty much agree with everything said here. When the FB tribute page was first a page dedicated to finding SH a lot of people not close or familiar with the family asked very simple questions like was NF abusive, controlling, did they have a rocky relationship, was she suffering from post-partum depression, etc. All the responses were swift and quick: no, not at all, never, absolutely not.

Since the arrest we now have people coming forward such as the grandmother who are now confirming that the relationship between the two was not all sunshine and rainbows. I'm going to choose my words more carefully here considering I was called out the last time I spoke ill about the family. You can call it naivety, a disconnect with reality, ignorance or a whitewash. It's obvious that either a) the family and friends really didn't know what was going on, b) they knew the truth but chose to paint a rosey picture because they were so desperate to find SH or c) they knew but didn't feel is was a factor because this behaviour (unstable relationship between parent, children being shuffled around home to home, etc.) is seen as "normal."

Family and friends would know perfectly well that although they met, or attended the same school, seven years ago, they have not been in a committed relationship for the last seven years. That claim is false and was misleading.

There's another well known case where a young woman got drunk while on vacation in a foreign country. One day, after drinking all day, she willingly left the bar with three strangers (men). She was never seen again. She was described as religious, a non-drinker, intelligent, sensible, and not one to put herself in danger ... the facts said otherwise. I think that sometime's the victim's family is afraid that the public won't help if the victim is a prostitute, drunk when last seen, or a drug user, so they want the public to believe that the victim is an angel. In reality, people that care about missing persons don't care why they went missing, they care about finding the missing person and ensuring that there isn't a second, third, and fourth victim.

I'm not sure that it would have made a difference had we known a week ago that the relationship was more off than on. However, at the very least, the friend who had the party would not have been the focus of people's anger.

There is no kidnapping charge

Thank you for going there.

Regarding all the comments about various possible custody issues (sorry, I'm having problems bringing the posts forward/quoting properly :( ), where is that information coming from? Custody/child related court cases are usually private here in Qc ...

I do remember that there was a thread on the FB page for Samantha (to which I no longer have access), concerning "Elizabeth House" (it's an entity not a person) & friends she made/knew there were posting....

The mention of Pinel/Guy Turcotte just makes me :( :( :(... That particular case was far too close to home :(.

This is all in the French language news reports. I don't use Facebook so I didn't read it there, but I did read it.

Did I read somewhere which stated he won a custody battle for his daughter? I see this article states there was a custody battle...but did he win it eventually? IMO if that was the case, there is something seriously wrong with our judicial system which would allow him to win custody of his child after the crime he committed back in 2010. :scared:

Don't count on it. The courts would have looked at both parents and made a decision about who was the more suitable parent. If Nick was determined to be the more suitable parent, then there is more to Samantha than we know.

Even if it's a rumor, it makes sense. SH probably didn't want him around the baby given what he was into at the time and he probably had to fight for joint custody or visitation rights. The laws in Quebec and Canada will very, very rarely grant the father SOLE custody, so I would be surprised if that were the case.

Her grandmother had custody of the daughter for four months, so clearly not everything was okay with mom. Perhaps Nick was prevented from seeing his daughter, then learned that Samantha had given their daughter to her grandmother, so he fought for custody. He would need a babysitter to have a night off now and then, which might explain the twitter message about babysitting so he could have a night out with Eric.

I found something and i need help finding out what is written on the green sign on the right please! Could Be either in French or English, it's out of focus.

Great find! But I'm sorry Martinsen073, I tried with the levels and contrast and couldn't make anything out. I also did an internet image search that to see if the exact image in a higher resolution exists somewhere and came up with nothing.

The only thing that might help is that the sign seems to be in French and English (French first, of course ;) ) The reason I think this is because of the way the text is laid out with the two paragraphs in the white section. The top paragraph is bigger than the bottom and this kind of 60:40 text proportion* was something I noticed all the time living in the Belle Province.
(* just because the French language is wordier)
-And, if that is the case, the text in the green band is probably a single word (short in both languages, 5-7 letters?)

Interesting point, no mention of a father. Very short and to the point obit. I noticed in an early video when SH was first reported missing and the media interview Vanessa and her husband, her husband call SH his daughter a couple of times. That I also found interesting. I've seen VH's wedding photos and apparently they were married July 13, 2013. Maybe they have been together many years and that's why VH's husband refers to SH as his daughter. But if they have only been together say six or so years, I find it a tab odd he called her his daughter. Nothing wrong with him referring to her as his "step daughter" kwim. To each his own I guess. MOO.

The people who were condemning the party hostess would've left her alone if they had known that Sam wasn't perfectly happy for all of those 7 years? I don't see the connection at all.

Family and friends would know perfectly well that although they met, or attended the same school, seven years ago, they have not been in a committed relationship for the last seven years. That claim is false and was misleading.

There's another well known case where a young woman got drunk while on vacation in a foreign country. One day, after drinking all day, she willingly left the bar with three strangers (men). She was never seen again. She was described as religious, a non-drinker, intelligent, sensible, and not one to put herself in danger ... the facts said otherwise. I think that sometime's the victim's family is afraid that the public won't help if the victim is a prostitute, drunk when last seen, or a drug user, so they want the public to believe that the victim is an angel. In reality, people that care about missing persons don't care why they went missing, they care about finding the missing person and ensuring that there isn't a second, third, and fourth victim.

I'm not sure that it would have made a difference had we known a week ago that the relationship was more off than on. However, at the very least, the friend who had the party would not have been the focus of people's anger.

No, no link, just a picture i downloaded from a facebook profile, do i need to use a link? i was not aware...

I still think there was someone at the party that Samantha was romantically involved with at some point in time. Whether it was past or present we may never know until this case goes to court.

I also agree that there was likely more going on with Samantha's life than being told by her close relatives. She was likely out being a party girl and that is why NF was their daughters primary caregiver for some time.

Main Stream media (MSM) No, sorry family members are off limits. That would be considered sleuthing family members and that's not allowed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back