CANADA Canada - Samuel Lottery, 17, London, Ont, 19 Jan 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure if anyone came across this but I finally found a link for Atonement FBH Church at 156 Wellington! www.theatonementfire.com/home.html (& the address & phone # cross over from POF on Gunn St.)

They've got a few videos linked from a YouTube channel but I haven't checked them out yet.

Another thing I noticed on the other FBH Church Of God website, in the site map when you click on the "Canada" link there's a contact email for "Pastor Olga Johnson" connected to UWO. This same name is listed as the president/director/chair of POF Gunn Street according to that "donate2charities.ca" site.

Not really sure if it means anything but it's in the "church file" now.

I was thinking, what if the motive were a combination of everything we've theorized so far? What if Samuel & his family were involved in some heavily organized religious group & Samuels' parents were walking that fine line between faith & fanatical belief? Let's say Samuel had friends who were part of Whiteoaks Crew gang or some other rebellious teenage boys who were "leading Samuel astray"? Maybe Samuel was tired of the church activities, maybe someone in the organization had abused Sam or was not pleased with Samuel "making trouble" or offered to intervene & "straighten out" Samuels' attitude? Perhaps they felt Samuel should atone for his sins? Could all of this been precipitating for awhile leading up to Samuels death?

I'm inclined to think it was an accident or rough housing that led to the demise of SL. Something ''got out of hand'' --jmo-- that's why I think the ''remorse'' of the mysterious letters comes into play. JMO

It's just not right that this 'mystery' has remained unsolved ......

I'm inclined to think it was an accident or rough housing that led to the demise of SL. Something ''got out of hand'' --jmo-- that's why I think the ''remorse'' of the mysterious letters comes into play. JMO

It's just not right that this 'mystery' has remained unsolved ......

Yep. Some people have a hard time controlling themselves & "mistakes" happen. Not 100% on the rough housing angle but someone/something got out of hand for sure.

What I don't get is why feel remorse 2 months & 10 months (March/November) after the murder but then never again for almost 20 years? How has this person been coping with that information this whole time? It must have manifested in *some* form? Maybe this person is highly religious & will give a deathbed confession someday? Whoever did this has just been extremely lucky to not have been caught imo. I don't think this person really knew what they were doing & LPS was slow to react. That part of the river is just simply not a good spot to hide a body unless you are close by & not organized.

Yep. Some people have a hard time controlling themselves & "mistakes" happen. Not 100% on the rough housing angle but someone/something got out of hand for sure.

What I don't get is why feel remorse 2 months & 10 months (March/November) after the murder but then never again for almost 20 years? How has this person been coping with that information this whole time? It must have manifested in *some* form? Maybe this person is highly religious & will give a deathbed confession someday? Whoever did this has just been extremely lucky to not have been caught imo. I don't think this person really knew what they were doing & LPS was slow to react. That part of the river is just simply not a good spot to hide a body unless you are close by & not organized.

Could it be the perp is now dead, or moved away from London??

Maybe the perp was visiting from Jamacia, where Sam was known to visit?
Maybe it took the perp 20 years to come back for another visit and to drop off another letter?

bbm: wondered the same thing! A child ''left behind'' - did he have older sibs? or cousins?

Looking at the Ws. Ricky McCormick secret code thread , and was reminded of the unusual letters received by Sam Lottery's family and his church.
Wondering if there was a message within a message in the letters, did the stationary mean something, was the letter sent from prison and the only available paper was recycled stationary, sent by a mother, child or g. friend?
A link i also posted there, fwiw ....

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/march/cryptanalysis_032111

"Cryptanalysts
Part 1: Breaking Codes to Stop Crime

03/21/11

The letter from a gang member in prison to a friend on the outside seemed normal enough. “Saludos loved one,” it began, and went on to describe the perils of drug use and the inmate’s upcoming visit from his children.

But closer inspection by examiners in our Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU) revealed that this seemingly ordinary letter was encoded with a much more sinister message: every fifth word contained the letter’s true intent, which was to green-light the murder of a fellow gang member."
rbbm.

@dotr Thanks so much for continuing to post to the thread!

I had to take a break from this case because I was just going in circles & it was all I could think about. I don't have anything new to contribute unfortunately, I just wish that there was some kind of update or re-investigation.

One thing: In the case above, the letter was coded with instructions to go ahead with a hit, not so much the same as the letters written to LPD which contained instructions on where to find Samuels' body. I just think that if Samuels' case was gang related, would he be the only one that gang would write letters about? Because there have been other "casualties" of gang related violence in London but I don't think letters were ever written to claim responsibility.

I wonder if the person who killed Samuel kept a personal "memento"? Something in my gut just keeps repeating "the church" over & over. Idk, for whatever reason it feels like the answers are right there & nobody sees them. I've had this feeling enough times before that I've started taking it more seriously in other areas of my life but with this, there is nothing I can do about it. Hopefully the universe provides an opportunity for someone in LE to come across Sams' case. I don't see it coming up any other way.

Yeah, ****s don't write letters. They just kill you and move on.

Who does write letters about someone who they killed? For that matter, how do we know the letter writer is the killer? It could be someone in the know instead of the killer.

Since we are talking about a church, churches sometimes have rules where people confess sins, and that all stays in the confessional box. I offer this scenario as an alternative that the killer wrote the letter. Maybe the type of stationary was a "tell" that the person was not the actual killer.

I have not been on this thread for a while. Is there a post with the letter that was sent, that might show the letter was written by the actual killer? Unless that is an undeniable fact, I think we have to consider the letter writer and killer is not the same person.

I am still leaning towards a high church official maybe involved with some kind of child abuse, and some of the staff aware of it. I can't separate this church and this murder. They just seem to be intertwined.

http://www.police.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/Unsolved_Crimes/2009317.htm
rbbm.

"On January 19, 1996 Samuel Lottery, 17 years of age, was reported missing to the London Police Service.

In March 1996, a letter was found at the "Pillar of Fire Church" located at 27 Gunn Street in London. Members of the Lottery family attended the church regularly. The letter contained information about Sam Lottery and included a photograph of him that was determined to have come from his wallet.

In November 1996, a second letter was received at the Lottery family residence in London. That letter also contained information about Sam Lottery and was written on the stationary shown below.

(modsnip)

Investigators do not believe this was a random incident. Information collected strongly suggests Sam Lottery was targeted by a person or persons known to him. Investigators believe more than one person has knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the murder of Sam Lottery. It is incumbent on those with knowledge of this homicide to come forward and speak with investigators. Although a number of tips have been received from members of the public, investigators require further detailed information in order to bring this matter to a successful conclusion and provide closure for the Lottery family, and justice for Sam Lottery.

Investigators are urging anyone with information about this homicide, to contact the London Police Service Major Crime Section at 519-661-5674, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or online at the London Crime Stoppers Website"

So, the photo came from Samuel's wallet. So, could someone besides the actual killer have obtained the photo? Why would the killer want his wallet? Does that mean this is a robbery? Could the killer have fled after the murder, and a second party have retrieved the wallet afterwards, to save the church's reputation, and hidden the body? Could a second party have been part of the scene, but not done the murder, but still be guilty for being at the scene?

So, the photo came from Samuel's wallet. So, could someone besides the actual killer have obtained the photo? Why would the killer want his wallet? Does that mean this is a robbery? Could the killer have fled after the murder, and a second party have retrieved the wallet afterwards, to save the church's reputation, and hidden the body? Could a second party have been part of the scene, but not done the murder, but still be guilty for being at the scene?

Another reason I don't think this was gang or peer-related. Taking personal items from a murder victim is like a token or souvenier. Something that psychopaths/serial killers are known for.

A gang member or someone who was responsible for an "accident" would probably want to distance themselves as far from the victim as possible. If you rob someone & kill them in the process, you toss their things. You don't freaking keep them & def don't mail anything to the police with detailed instructions!

So as I've mentioned before, did London Police check the photo for prints? Old school photo paper is notorious for grabbing prints (anyone remember old Polaroids where they had to dry for a second & you couldn't touch them?).

I can't tell if the letters & original location of Samuels' remains are an indication of guilt/remorse or due to needing notoriety & location of remains is due to conveinience/proximity to murder scene. On one hand, water "burial" is supposedly an indicator of a female killer but obv water is also conveinient. Floral stationary is considered feminine but could have been borrowed/stolen/chosen to intentionally confuse. Being close to the church could mean the killer felt remorse, worked at the church, lured Samuel or idk, just happened to be in that area? (don't think so)

It really bothers me that there is no timeline for Samuels last known whereabouts. Did he go to classes that day? Who saw him last? Did he take any buses? Did he have a backpack? What did Damuel typically do? Did he have extra curriculars? Did he hang out downtown? Did he work at the church after school?

I don't think there will ever be answers & that is just sad.

What a tragic story. :(

In reading the LFP article http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2009/10/27/11539966.html I'm struck by the following:

Investigators, said Const. Amy Phillipo, "don't believe this was a random incident. Information collected strongly suggests Sam Lottery was targeted by a person or persons known to him."

A combination of forensic testing, tips from the public and investigation led to the conclusion Lottery was the victim of a homicide, she said.

While police have received a "number of tips," Phillipo said they "require further detailed information" to bring the case to "a successful conclusion," provide closure for the family "and justice for Sam Lottery."

I'm thinking that LE may have a very good idea of who the killer is, but do not yet have the evidence to support the theory.

It would be wonderful if the LPF would do an update article, maybe with some additional info from LE. Someone who knows something may feel more comfortable coming forward after all this time.

Maybe a third letter will be sent revealing who killed Sam and why.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2009/10/26/11527271.html

"Twice letters have been sent - one found at the Pillar of Fire Church on Gunn

St. which the Lottery family regularly attend - and another sent to the family

home, telling investigators to search the river."

-720553_ORIGINAL.jpg

From the same article:
"Investigators believe more than one person has knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the murder of Sam Lottery...

Perhaps the letter writer was not the killer, but a witness on-site or after the fact. Someone who didn't want to name the murderer but felt guilty about that his body might not be found. The "threatening" tone might have been to dissuade the parents from looking for the killer, or it could also have been a blame-the-victim guilt.

I notice the journalist's email link is active from his byline. I wonder if he could be encouraged to do an update, maybe talk to the parents and LE and see if there is some little snippet of new info that can be released. Maybe releasing a line from one of the letters might spur someone to talk. Does anyone know who put up the reward? LE?

The parents' silence could be that they have a thought of who the killer(s) are, or they could be afraid, or they could just be quiet people who don't want any attention.

Having trouble quoting but Ita with the above ^ . I've contemplated contacting the LFP journalist but don't feel right/justified/entitled to "insert myself" into this case. If the parents aren't asking for answers, who am I to bring up this story?

However, I am very tempted to contact Micheal Arntfield (criminologist at UWO, author of "Murder City" *as an aside, wanting to pick up his book). I know he has been working on cold cases within London & surrounding areas and am curious to know if Mr. Arntfield has looked into Samuels' case.

Whoever wrote the letters had intimate knowledge of the crime & had access to Samuels' belongings (wallet at least) & knew what church he worshipped at. What I can't get past: If you feel guilty & want Samuel to be found, why not send the letters to LPS/ L.E? LPS stated the letters had a taunting nature to them.

Test the envelopes & stamps for DNA. I wonder if any Pillar Of Fire members started spending a lot of their time at the church following Samuels' death? Praying more, contributing more, taking on extra responsibility etc. It was not a very big congregation, judging by the google searches of 27 Gunn St. Just some thoughts...

Maybe I'm reading into things too much but that photo of Samuel, he just looks so sad. It's good to see people reading his story. Samuel hasn't been forgotten.

Having trouble quoting but Ita with the above ^ . I've contemplated contacting the LFP journalist but don't feel right/justified/entitled to "insert myself" into this case. If the parents aren't asking for answers, who am I to bring up this story?

However, I am very tempted to contact Micheal Arntfield (criminologist at UWO, author of "Murder City" *as an aside, wanting to pick up his book). I know he has been working on cold cases within London & surrounding areas and am curious to know if Mr. Arntfield has looked into Samuels' case.

Whoever wrote the letters had intimate knowledge of the crime & had access to Samuels' belongings (wallet at least) & knew what church he worshipped at. What I can't get past: If you feel guilty & want Samuel to be found, why not send the letters to LPS/ L.E? LPS stated the letters had a taunting nature to them.

Test the envelopes & stamps for DNA. I wonder if any Pillar Of Fire members started spending a lot of their time at the church following Samuels' death? Praying more, contributing more, taking on extra responsibility etc. It was not a very big congregation, judging by the google searches of 27 Gunn St. Just some thoughts...

Maybe I'm reading into things too much but that photo of Samuel, he just looks so sad. It's good to see people reading his story. Samuel hasn't been forgotten.

rbbm.

The family is unusual in that they do not seem to be looking for answers in Sam's murder, are they terribly afraid of the perp/s, or is it fear for the church members?
It would be nice if other photos of Sam were released, ita, the pic we do have seems particularly somber, surely there are some of the happy-go-lucky Sam, engaged in the activities he loved. imo

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../11539966.html

Who killed Sam Lottery?
JOE BELANGER October 27, 2009
rbibm.

"He was a happy-go-lucky kid, a London high school student with a knack for electronics who liked to go to Jamaica with his family.

Like many teens, he also liked basketball and hip hop
."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8