Canada - Sentry killed in War Memorial shooting, Ottawa, 22 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have lived all of my adult life here in Ottawa (some 30+ years). It has always been a peaceful, safe city, but in the last 10-15 years, access on the Hill has become more restricted. We used to be able to drive right up to the front to the front doors of the Centre Block of Parliament. While this is no longer possible unless you are in an authorized vehicle that has gone through the security gate, we were still free to walk the lawn, and there is still a sense of openness and approachability. In fact, in the summer there are weekly noontime yoga exercises. I feel like some innocence has been destroyed.

The first responders today were incredible. As tragic as the day has been, we are fortunate that it wasn't considerably worse. My heart breaks for the family and loved ones of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.

It is heartwarming to read the messages of affection here. Thank you.

Here is the pic of Yoga on the Hill.
View attachment 62033

Thank You
I remember when I was younger and I would park my car behind the East Block building and walk over to the Rideau Centre or The Market to go shopping
And Canada Day festivities on The Hill was always special

Wow. So this idiot was just running around like a maniac. What a .

Bibeau got from the War Memorial into the Centre Block in about a minute 20 seconds. That's pretty fast for that distance and makes the first responders' reactions even more incredible. I think the Hall of Honour is appropriately named. It's not very often that I can listen to speeches by all three party leaders and feel full warmth and pride in each of them. And although the shooter was born and bred here, I am still a very proud Canadian.

Now, the changes began as, everything changes, freedom, access. security trumping anything and everything. Out come fences, big barriers, frequent observation of LE and any "event" being more than it would have been the day before yesterday (i.e a fire alarm would not have been a news story Tuesday)

Canadian PM Stephen Harper, in speech to Parliament, says security laws need to be strengthened, assures 'work will be expedited' - @MichelleZilio
B0ocSBcIcAAbkgn.jpg:large

Parliament Hill and sections of some streets in downtown Ottawa remain closed to the public this morning after Wednesday's shootings - @CBCNews

Police detain man near Ottawa War Memorial who reportedly tried to cross police tape as PM Stephen Harper paid respects - @StuMillsCBC, @l_stone

B0opytlIcAAAtzh.jpg

Photo: People being let back into Parliament building in Ottawa after a false fire alarm went off, 1 day after shootings - @MaBlaisMorin

Photo: Police presence at Montreal City Hall in response to yesterday's shootings in Ottawa - @sophietremblay

B0oIk3VIgAAGaeY.jpg

Clearly you've witnessed this before. It's a shame, but it's also part of a changing Canada. I took photos on a Canadian city street yesterday ... might post one later ... Caucasians are a visible minority on the average street corner. Different cultures, habits, ways of life, belief systems, and lifestyles are merging in the second largest country in the world. With that, there must come change. In many ways, it was only a matter of time until "protests", or opposition to Canada's response to international affairs, took a violent turn.

Bibeau got from the War Memorial into the Centre Block in about a minute 20 seconds. That's pretty fast for that distance and makes the first responders' reactions even more incredible. I think the Hall of Honour is appropriately named. It's not very often that I can listen to speeches by all three party leaders and feel full warmth and pride in each of them. And although the shooter was born and bred here, I am still a very proud Canadian.

rbbm.

Wondering if B had some practice running around the buildings beforehand ?

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2067122
CTV News Channel: Gunman 'acted alone'.
Ottawa Police Chief Charles Bordeleau speaks

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2067122
CTV News Channel: Surveillance footage of events

What impressed me about the footage is that it shows TWO RCMP cruisers pulling up within seconds of the perp stopping the car at Centre Block and officers in hot pursuit following him into building....although we haven't been told as much there must have been a quick way for Ministerial driver to alert LE of the car jacking. MOO -- very good work on all

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/what-we-know-about-michael-zehaf-bibeau/

"Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother, Susan Bibeau, is a division deputy chairperson within the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. His father, identified as Bulgasem Zehaf, is a Quebec businessman with ties to Libya (the Gazette reports he was born there). CTV describes Zehaf as the man’s stepfather, or adoptive father, and says he once owned Café Tripoli in Montreal. The two reportedly divorced 15 years ago.

- Comments from Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother suggest the two were not in close contact. In a statement expressing grief for the victims of the shooting, Susan Bibeau said she’d had lunch with her son last week, but “had not seen him for over five years before that. So I have very little insight to offer.”

BBM: Thanks for clearing that up. :seeya:

A quick-thinking, brave hero … just like the passengers of Flight 93 that saved those other mental cases from wiping out the US head of govt.

The nutters are probably all sitting in ‘paradise’ :devil: right now … wondering where the virgins are that Allah should be giving them.

wouldn't it be great if the ''virgins'' meant the cocktail list in hell!!

Clearly you've witnessed this before. It's a shame, but it's also part of a changing Canada. I took photos on a Canadian city street yesterday ... might post one later ... Caucasians are a visible minority on the average street corner. Different cultures, habits, ways of life, belief systems, and lifestyles are merging in the second largest country in the world. With that, there must come change. In many ways, it was only a matter of time until "protests", or opposition to Canada's response to international affairs, took a violent turn.

It is wonderful in many ways to benefit from a wide variety of people, but what is worrisome imo, is cultural differences in attitudes towards females.
Sex assaults by some groups seem to be occurring with greater frequency now, imo. ..

It is wonderful in many ways to benefit from a wide variety of people, but what is worrisome imo, is cultural differences in attitudes towards females.
Sex assaults by some groups seem to be occurring with greater frequency now, imo. ..

I agree.

I believe this November 11 we can expect greater participation hopefully in our commemorative parades and ceremonies -- in a way I believe ((I have to)) that there will be some positive that will come out of this. MOO

He seems so human ... the first thing he's concerned about is how the stress of yesterday's events might impact the members of parliament.

As much as we whinge and complain about some of our members of parliament and government actions .. and we all do, from time to time .. it would be horrific if the actions of these unstable radicals discouraged people from getting into politics and trying to do what they believe is best for our countries. One of the intentions of these radicals is to destabilise governments, which is why it is so important for us all to pull together and support our free and democratic governments through the hard times imo ... while using our discretion of what is best and what is not, of course.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gypsysoul11
Back