Found Deceased Canada - Shaelene Keeler Bell, 23, mom of 2, car found, Chilliwack BC, 30 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The facts we have thus far:
  1. Last seen on Jan. 30, 2021 in the 9300-block of Edward St, Chilliwack, BC. Last spoke with her mother, Alina Durham, the same day.
  2. A.k.a. Shae Durham; Keeler Bell
  3. Mother of two, devoted and caring. However, Bell's mother reports Bell was facing mental-health challenges and was on medication (details not public).
  4. On Jan 30, Bell left her two boys with a friend and...never returned home.
  5. Two days later, on the morning of Monday Feb 1, her vehicle, a grey 2021 Hyundai Tucson with B.C. licence plate CR9 75V was found on Ballam Rd at the entrance to the Peg Leg (the intersecting McSween Rd leads to the Fraser River: Google Maps).
  6. Due to the location of the abandoned vehicle, police and divers searched the area and scoured the river, given the hypothesis of potential drowning (suicide or foul play).
  7. No signs of foul play have been reported so far.
---
Some references:
* VIDEO: Family of missing Chilliwack mom, 23, makes public plea after car found abandoned - Victoria News
* Shaelene Bell - Please Bring Me Home
* RCMP in British Columbia - Public assistance wanted to locate a missing person: Shaelene Keeler Bell

A website associated with the missing fb group: Shaelene Bell Missing

So her mother states that she "wasn't herself" when she left and that she was known to visit the area where her car was found "so she could think".

How likely is it that foul play isn't involved? Were any medications/drugs found in her vehicle? Were search dogs used to see if she wandered away from her car?

https://rdnewsnow.com/2021/05/21/sylvan-lake-woman-continues-months-long-search-for-missing-sister/
“……Bell-Pollard last spoke with her sister on Jan. 28. She says a website (www.shaebell.com) has now been created for her missing sister, which lays out a timeline of Shaelene’s movements following that conversation, and since her disappearance……

……One theory of note on the website, is that Shaelene’s vehicle was located about 200 metres from a house of the 12 Tribes Church, described on the site as a Christian fundamentalist organization which requires you to give up everything and restart a completely new life in their community with the promises of a better one.

Bell-Pollard, however, isn’t sold on the theory that her sister has joined the 12 Tribes.

“I don’t believe they are known to kidnap people, but they are, I believe, known to brainwash them, and I guess from what I’ve read, you have to give up everything to join them,” she explains. “And the connection is where her car was found, there’s supposedly two different 12 Tribes homes in the area and her car was found almost right beside one of them. I couldn’t see her giving up everything, especially when she had just bought a new car.”

Bell-Pollard admits her sister’s disappearance is heartbreaking and frustrating….”

rdnewsnow.com: Sylvan Lake woman continues months-long search for missing sister.
May 21 2012

Snipped...
One theory of note on the website, is that Shaelene’s vehicle was located about 200 metres from a house of the 12 Tribes Church, described on the site as a Christian fundamentalist organization which requires you to give up everything and restart a completely new life in their community with the promises of a better one.

Something that stood out for me, aside from acknowledgement SB was facing mental health challenges and on medication - according to the timeline found on her Missing page it was Thursday when SB reportedly bought her 2021 Hyundai Tucson, then Saturday night she disappeared. Yet the timeline indicates on Saturday afternoon she had to go back to the dealership and sign some papers. But did she show up, it doesn’t say.

This vehicle appears to be valued at about $30k. I’m curious why she’d have to go back to the dealership to sign papers after she supposedly bought it. In my experience a vehicle is technically not “sold” until all documents are signed and agreed to by both parties.

If SB was already facing a mental health crisis of sorts I’m wondering if she ran into difficulty over the purchase of this vehicle - for example was informed the financing wasn’t approved or a larger down payment was required - and so losing the opportunity to own this new vehicle was her final breaking point?

The Hyundai was found very close to the Fraser River, apparently where she sometimes went to think. The Fraser River is by no means a little rambling brook and if she drowned unfortunately it’s likely her body would be taken away by the current toward the Pacific Ocean.

This must an extremely difficult time for her family, just not knowing, my heart goes out to them.

I wonder if the place she liked to go to and think was the same place that she took some pictures of in this 2018 FB (look at June):

Photography By Shaelene Bell

The only reason I mention this is a longshot, but did she take her camera with her this time, and could someone think she was snapping something they didn't want her to see?

Going back to the car dealership - I agree maybe there was a problem with paperwork or proof of insurance, etc. that she had to provide. And speaking of insurance they should look if she went back in and added "Credit Life" so her car would be paid off if something happened to her:

"Credit life insurance pays off a borrower's debts if the borrower dies. You can generally purchase it from a bank at a mortgage closing, when you take out a line of credit or get a car loan. This type of insurance is especially important if your spouse or someone else is a co-signer on the loan in order to protect them from having to repay the debt. It also protects your spouse or heirs in states where heirs aren't protected from a parent's outstanding debts." (Though maybe Canada doesn't offer this).

I wonder if the place she liked to go to and think was the same place that she took some pictures of in this 2018 FB (look at June):

Photography By Shaelene Bell

The only reason I mention this is a longshot, but did she take her camera with her this time, and could someone think she was snapping something they didn't want her to see?

Going back to the car dealership - I agree maybe there was a problem with paperwork or proof of insurance, etc. that she had to provide. And speaking of insurance they should look if she went back in and added "Credit Life" so her car would be paid off if something happened to her:

"Credit life insurance pays off a borrower's debts if the borrower dies. You can generally purchase it from a bank at a mortgage closing, when you take out a line of credit or get a car loan. This type of insurance is especially important if your spouse or someone else is a co-signer on the loan in order to protect them from having to repay the debt. It also protects your spouse or heirs in states where heirs aren't protected from a parent's outstanding debts." (Though maybe Canada doesn't offer this).

Yes she might’ve had life insurance coverage on the vehicle loan but if she hadn’t finished signing papers I’d wonder if the deal had actually closed. Also some policies also contain a clause refusing compensation if suicide is involved.

Generally speaking, I think buying a brand new vehicle is a time of excitement and elation in someone’s life. So if nothing was amiss with the vehicle purchase, indeed foul play would be another possibility. I’ve also noticed no mention of the children's’ father/s at all, how long ago they separated and was the parenting arrangement amiable.

Earlier on this thread is a quote from SKs mother referring to “a friend” who watched the boys that evening but the website indicates he was a boyfriend. So I wonder if this a fairly new relationship, sometimes representing a high risk time for women if the previous partner isn’t willing to let go. JMO

Last edited:
...they should look if she went back in and added "Credit Life" so her car would be paid off if something happened to her:

Wow, that's crazy! In the UK when you die, all your debts are written off (with the exception of a home loan.) No debt gets passed on to others. No special insurance required. You die, your debts die too.....

Looks like Shaelene's body was located and identified today. Search for Shaelene Bell, missing Chilliwack, B.C. mom of 2, ends in tragedy. Suicide, by the sounds of it. Or maybe accidental drowning? So sad, her poor kids and family.

From the above link:

In a media release, Chilliwack RCMP said it had concluded its investigation “as there is no evidence to support criminal involvement in this death.”
The BC Coroners Service is conducting its own investigation to determine how, where, when and by what means she died.

Uh, um ... concluded an investigation without a MOD or COD?

A Coroner's report is evidence, so how be y'all wait for the evidence before concluding there isn't any :rolleyes:

Wow, that's crazy! In the UK when you die, all your debts are written off (with the exception of a home loan.) No debt gets passed on to others. No special insurance required. You die, your debts die too.....

This link is from the UK. In both UK and Canada a co-signer (guarantees a loan) would still be responsible for the debt if life insurance wasn’t involved. In this case if a loan guarantor was involved in the SUV purchase, I’d be surprised if the dealership didn’t just take back the vehicle and cancel the loan as a good will gesture. A very sad ending regardless.

Debt when someone dies | nidirect
“When someone dies, debts they leave are paid out of their 'estate' (money and property they leave behind). You're only responsible for their debts if you had a joint loan or agreement or provided a loan guarantee - you aren't automatically responsible for a husband's, wife's or civil partner's debts.”

Last edited:
From the above link:

In a media release, Chilliwack RCMP said it had concluded its investigation “as there is no evidence to support criminal involvement in this death.”
The BC Coroners Service is conducting its own investigation to determine how, where, when and by what means she died.

Uh, um ... concluded an investigation without a MOD or COD?

A Coroner's report is evidence, so how be y'all wait for the evidence before concluding there isn't any :rolleyes:

I’d wondered if something wasn’t left behind by SB that pointed toward her intention of suicide, a note or recording, because of the family mentioning mental issues at the very onset.

But until her body was found it couldn’t officially be determined if she’d followed through.

Don’t know, just speculation but I feel very sad for everyone close to her including her two young boys. At the age of 23 her life had hardly begun.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back