GUILTY Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #4 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To be clear, I've never embellished the murderer, nor the victim.

Regarding the victims, there is no black and white. Shannon was a 25 year old aspiring actor who lived somewhat on the road for her job. Josh is a murder suspect because his wife Shannon, missing for seven months, was found at her home - where her husband continued to live.

There is no reason to judge that perhaps her career would go-south in five years, or two years. Doing so would be bizarre, and could be interpreted as denigrating the victim. At the time of her death, her career was progressing, growing, with new opportunities the week of her death.

To suggest that all people can commit murder; that everyone can be a monster, is still beyond the pale.

To be clear: my comments relate to this discussion, not your individual comments.

Regarding the victims, there is no black and white. Shannon was a 25 year old aspiring actor who lived somewhat on the road for her job. Josh is a murder suspect because his wife Shannon, missing for seven months, was found at her home - where her husband continued to live.

There is no reason to judge that perhaps her career would go-south in five years, or two years. Doing so would be bizarre, and could be interpreted as denigrating the victim. At the time of her death, her career was progressing, growing, with new opportunities the week of her death.

To suggest that all people can commit murder; that everyone can be a monster, is still beyond the pale.

To be clear: my comments relate to this discussion, not your individual comments.

Whose individual comments?

You may want to check these sites: Facebook and Reddit.

I bring to the table what I learn, such as the co-op information, and maps of the complex, neighbourhood, and general area. What can you bring to the table? If you learn something new from one of your referenced sites, validate it, and by all means share.

I'm looking to understand the puzzle ... those shades of grey. All validated information is helpful.

I bring to the table what I learn, such as the co-op information, and maps of the complex, neighbourhood, and general area. What can you bring to the table? If you learn something new from one of your referenced sites, validate it, and by all means share.

I'm looking to understand the puzzle ... those shades of grey. All validated information is helpful.

Eager to contribute and, like you, gain thanks, but I understand that all facebook and reddit info is invalid. I have screenshots of some players' eyes, if that would help.

Eager to contribute and gain thanks, but I understand that all facebook and reddit info is invalid. I have screenshots of some players' eyes, if that would help.

As far as I understand (although I don't use facebook), comments from Facebook cannot be copy/paste, but is there a downside to expressing an opinion about what is might be going on behind the scenes?

Does anyone know when Shannon and Josh were involved with their dress-up medieval game? That's not a secret, and the date can be verified with valid websites. Is there anything on Reddit or Facebook about the medieval dress up club? Is there a year attached to that information? Is there a website to look at ... or anything?

2012: Josh graduated from SAIT (something like a civil engineering technologist)
year?: Shannon and Josh met while participating in a medieval dress-up club
2012: Josh in stable salaried job
2013: Shannon started acting career
2013: Shannon working on contract basis with various voice and drama production contracts
2014: Shannon and Josh married
2014: Shannon and Josh decided to divorce (seven month marriage)
2014: Shannon murdered
2015: Josh suspect

As far as I understand (although I don't use facebook), comments from Facebook cannot be copy/paste, but is there a downside to expressing an opinion about what is might be going on behind the scenes?

Does anyone know when Shannon and Josh were involved with their dress-up medieval game? That's not a secret, and the date can be verified with valid websites. Is there anything on Reddit or Facebook about the medieval dress up club? Is there a year attached to that information? Is there a website to look at ... or anything?

2012: Josh graduated from SAIT (something like a civil engineering technologist)
year?: Shannon and Josh met while participating in a medieval dress-up club
2012: Josh in stable salaried job
2013: Shannon started acting career
2013: Shannon working on contract basis with various voice and drama production contracts
2014: Shannon and Josh married
2014: Shannon and Josh decided to divorce (seven month marriage)
2014: Shannon murdered
2015: Josh suspect

Facebook and Reddit are rumour, not permitted here.

If you can fill in the dates, with even a suggestion, go for it.

There are enough sleuthers here who can do many things with a tip.

Does anyone have a link to ARK ... or whatever it was called ... where Shannon and Josh were both members of the dress up club?
That will help with the timeline of understanding what happened such that Shannon was getting stronger in her career, and Josh was plotting to murder her?

If you can fill in the dates, with even a suggestion, go for it.

There are enough sleuthers here who can do many things with a tip.

Does anyone have a link to ARK
... or whatever it was called ... where Shannon and Josh were both members of the dress up club?
That will help with the timeline of understanding what happened such that Shannon was getting stronger in her career, and Josh was plotting to murder her?

It's a facebook site, not relevant. I could post screenshots of eyes, if anyone is interested? Or maybe a map?

Though her acting career was probably not directly related to her death, making it bigger than it was could be interpreted as sensationalizing the victim and misrepresenting the dynamics of her relationship with her husband. For many people who care about details, this hinders sleuthing---the primary purpose of this forum. I can assure you that they do not regard the practice of evaluating "facts" as bizarre.

Any actors out there who can share a realistic, informed view on Shannon's probable work situation? I've discussed this with several actors, and have based my opinions on what they've told me about the industry, but I'm interested in hearing more.

I just want to say that call backs are good exposure even if you do not end up getting a part. Sometimes you get remembered from callback auditions for a future opportunity. You cast an ever wider net that way.

Otto - what did you mean when you posted a pic of the co-op info, and you wrote in brackets beside it "must have been suspecting the husband at the time"? Or does anyone else know what you meant by that? Thanks.

<modsnip>

Here are the temperatures for November 2014, when Shannon was last seen. At the very least, he had her in their townhouse for a couple of weeks before he could dig a hole an bury her ... and then we know that the hole was not six feet deep, which is required to ensure that animals don't dig, so who is to say that it didn't stink in that area by the back door? What Josh did with Shannon is sickening ... and I don't believe for a moment that "everyone is capable of murder", therefore maybe he's just one of those people that was pushed to the point where he accidentally committed murder.

Suggesting that "everyone is capable of committing murder" is an attempt to neutralize what Josh did, to humanize him and excuse him for this barbaric murder. Josh is capable of committing murder, and that puts him in a category separate from everyone else, not the same as everyone else.

please don't mix my comments on where he hid her body with the suggestion that i am defending him or agreeing with the statement that everyone is capable of murder.

i'm just talking about where the body was hidden. and btw i'm a single woman living on my own in subsidized housing and own a freezer that could fit a body in it. it's smaller but i'm sure you could squash someone in there. just sayin'.

yes living with the body whether hidden to conceal the smell or not is whackjobby sounding i agree with you. in fact in my original post i said it set off alarms that his friend said he was acting so 'normal' the whole time. which doesn't make a good case for this guy being at all remorseful or upset about what he did.

eta: when i said i would keep an open mind, i never meant that as to excuse jb. i meant i have no idea what happened and i am not going to speculate anything subjective as fact.

Whether Shannon was a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond isn't really important. The reference to the callback, meant there was movement in her job/hobby/career as actor, which to me - means potential of what could've been.

I don't care if she was a plumber, if her plumbing business was moving and she was getting calls for work that (to me) is good news.

The point to my comment way upthread was that she was doing *something*. Something that made her happy, and getting some work whether it big or small doing so. It sounded like she had potential. Even if she didn't get a callback or get a role, it sure sounded like she was trying and was involved in the community she loved.

Do I think JB might've been jealous of her? Sure, but not because she was an actress, but because she was doing something that made her happy. Like, I said, she could've been a plumber hypothetically. If it's proven he was abusive or controlling, that is one thing an abusive and controlling partner hates - when their victims starts freeing themselves, becoming happy and fleeing the abusive partner's reigns. I think it can make abusers snap. JMO.

Whether Shannon was a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond isn't really important. The reference to the callback, meant there was movement in her job/hobby/career as actor, which to me - means potential of what could've been.

I don't care if she was a plumber, if her plumbing business was moving and she was getting calls for work that (to me) is good news.

The point to my comment way upthread was that she was doing *something*. Something that made her happy, and getting some work whether it big or small doing so. It sounded like she had potential. Even if she didn't get a callback or get a role, it sure sounded like she was trying and was involved in the community she loved.

Do I think JB might've been jealous of her? Sure, but not because she was an actress, but because she was doing something that made her happy. Like, I said, she could've been a plumber hypothetically. If it's proven he was abusive or controlling, that is one thing an abusive and controlling partner hates - when their victims starts freeing themselves, becoming happy and fleeing the abusive partner's reigns. I think it can make abusers snap. JMO.

:goodpost: :tyou:

Well put! I agree whole-heartedly!

I agree Lala, you've brought up some great points :) I do not disagree, she may have had potential, and we will never know where she could have gone.

On that train of thought, however, questioning how she was doing career-wise is crucial to understanding the financial situation (in addition to, as you've mentioned, potential jealousy/control issues on JB's part).

I should clarify that I'm NOT trying to justify her husband's actions, in any way. I'm trying to build a scenario...unfortunately if we are to do so we must scrutinize the victim's actions as much as the perp's. I can't speak for others, but for me, there is a distinct difference between analyzing a victim and bashing a victim...and I'm afraid that questioning factors in the victim's life has been misconstrued as denigration frequently in this thread. Questioning a victim's career outlook is not bashing a victim. Whitewashing aspects of her life omits key factors to understanding WHY this happened. Whether Shannon was a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond could have been a factor in this.

I don't think she would have been paid for callbacks. Could finances have played a part in the conflict between SB and JB?

I agree Lala, you've brought up some great points :) I do not disagree, she may have had potential, and we will never know where she could have gone.

On that train of thought, however, questioning how she was doing career-wise is crucial to understanding the financial situation (in addition to, as you've mentioned, potential jealousy/control issues on JB's part).

I should clarify that I'm NOT trying to justify her husband's actions, in any way. I'm trying to build a scenario...unfortunately if we are to do so we must scrutinize the victim's actions as much as the perp's. I can't speak for others, but for me, there is a distinct difference between analyzing a victim and bashing a victim...and I'm afraid that questioning factors in the victim's life has been misconstrued as denigration frequently in this thread. Questioning a victim's career outlook is not bashing a victim. Whitewashing aspects of her life omits key factors to understanding WHY this happened. Whether Shannon was a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond could have been a factor in this.

I don't think she would have been paid for callbacks. Could finances have played a part in the conflict between SB and JB?

So true Eva! When one spouse is carrying the weight of another, it's just a matter of time before resentment builds up to a potential blowing point. It would weigh in on the relationship dynamic as well, especially if someone was feeling used.

I wasn't trying to counter other posts or poster's ideas/opinions either, I just think my initial post wasn't worded as well as I could've explained my point better. I'm always typing ideas in a rush these days lol!

I feel the same way, unfortunately sometime's victim's choices/decisions have cause and effect actions and consequences just like the rest of us living in life. It's so sad to know, one potentially bad decision can change one's fate and life so quickly.

I don't believe actors are paid for callbacks. I think they only get paid if they get a part and royalties after for every rerun aired for commercials/TV shows. I dabbled very briefly in Theatre and the film biz and I tell ya, I would've been overjoyed at a callback, but that's just me :) That industry was NOT for me though....a little too dog eat dog and attitude for me, the extras had attitude!

Financial friction and conflict could've been motive for sure. I myself personally don't think that was JB's motive, but maybe it was. I wonder when we'll find out motive. I sure am curious...

So true Eva! When one spouse is carrying the weight of another, it's just a matter of time before resentment builds up to a potential blowing point. It would weigh in on the relationship dynamic as well, especially if someone was feeling used.

I wasn't trying to counter other posts or poster's ideas/opinions either, I just think my initial post wasn't worded as well as I could've explained my point better. I'm always typing ideas in a rush these days lol!

I feel the same way, unfortunately sometime's victim's choices/decisions have cause and effect actions and consequences just like the rest of us living in life. It's so sad to know, one potentially bad decision can change one's fate and life so quickly.

I don't believe actors are paid for callbacks. I think they only get paid if they get a part and royalties after for every rerun aired for commercials/TV shows. I dabbled very briefly in Theatre and the film biz and I tell ya, I would've been overjoyed at a callback, but that's just me :) That industry was NOT for me though....a little too dog eat dog and attitude for me, the extras had attitude!

Financial friction and conflict could've been motive for sure. I myself personally don't think that was JB's motive, but maybe it was. I wonder when we'll find out motive. I sure am curious...

I don't think being overjoyed at a callback would have been just you...it's wonderful news, and definitely worthy of recognition. It's a tough industry. The quality I respect most in dedicated career actors is their resilience.

Callbacks get emotions running high. High emotions sometimes bring conflict...especially with underlying issues in play (i.e., finances).

Was the cause of death released? Sorry if you've already discussed, but I didn't see any mention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back