Canada- Sharif Rahman, owner of the Curry House restaurant, suffered brain injury after assault by 3 non-paying men, Owen Sound, Ontario, 17 Aug. '23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Or maybe they are minors?
That's a good suggestion, possibly has something to do with that.

Though I just googled for a recent example and note in a TPS announcement yesterday of names and charges they included: "Youth, 16, Paris, Ontario" and listed the specific charges against them. https://www.tps.ca/media-centre/news-releases/60543/

It's not ultimately important but decoding police procedures fascinates me for some reason.

JMO

''Nine cameras will be installed at key downtown locations in the River District and working by the end of September''.

''Pamela McLay owns Jazzmyn’s in Owen Sound, a downtown eatery on 9th Street East.
Weeks after Rahman was assaulted, she checked the security footage from her restaurant on the night of the assault and saw three white men enter. They left quickly after being told the kitchen had closed for the night. McLay said the men entered about an hour before the assault at The Curry House later that night.

''Some of the men are wearing hats, and the clothes seem to be different than those in the images released by the police, but it’s hard to draw any conclusions given the video quality and the rainy weather.''

''Nine cameras will be installed at key downtown locations in the River District and working by the end of September''.

''Pamela McLay owns Jazzmyn’s in Owen Sound, a downtown eatery on 9th Street East.
Weeks after Rahman was assaulted, she checked the security footage from her restaurant on the night of the assault and saw three white men enter. They left quickly after being told the kitchen had closed for the night. McLay said the men entered about an hour before the assault at The Curry House later that night.

''Some of the men are wearing hats, and the clothes seem to be different than those in the images released by the police, but it’s hard to draw any conclusions given the video quality and the rainy weather.''

So they maybe lost their hats in the fight and were aware enough to take off identifying or incriminating clothes.

I didn’t think I could dislike them more.

“The investigation continues by the OSPS under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch, with assistance from the OSPS and OPP West Region Crime Units, OSPS and OPP Forensic Identification Services and the OPP Regional Support Team, in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Coroner and Ontario Forensic Pathology Service. Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or ontariocrimestoppers.ca.”

Emphasis mine. I hope that means they have biological evidence that links them to the crime. I'm not sure if that’s part of a boilerplate statement.
Maybe evidence on the victim and at the scene + genetic genealogy? (Speculation on my part.)
I immediately thought the same line of thinking as you Lexi. Genetic Geneaology on the glasses & plates left at the scene.

I'm thinking they will turn out to be from within Ontario too as there is no mention of "thank yous" to any LE jurisdicatios, federal or provincial, outside of Ontario.

Also thinking there may be at least one more they've yet to arrest so keeping it close hold to the chest right now.

Last edited:
I wonder if nothings being said due to the persons being military as was suggested in earlier posts
Nah; we had one of our young reservists arrested (along with his younger brother and others) for a murder here (that was a day at work I tell you when they came in [I was the Acting Chief of Staff for the Brigade then]) and it made the news. The MPs called us and asked us to find a way to hold him back and to make sure we kept him back post-1600hrs - so after his duty and after others went home for the night (we didn't know details or why at the time but knew that obviously 'something' was up), MPs arrived with the jurisdictional LE and promptly arrested him for murder as we stood there in the waiting area outside my office. ... My thoughts: Well, I guess I'd better file a SIR (Significant Incident Report) up the CoC (Chain Of Command) to Ottawa before I head home tonight. :oops:

Very unusual, IMO. What pops into my mind is maybe the suspects are not in Canada.

JMO
That's very possible. There are US residents who own property in cottage country (Goldie Hawn was one). Not as pervasive as Canadian snowbirds heading south but enough of them.

“The investigation continues by the OSPS under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch, with assistance from the OSPS and OPP West Region Crime Units, OSPS and OPP Forensic Identification Services and the OPP Regional Support Team, in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Coroner and Ontario Forensic Pathology Service. Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or ontariocrimestoppers.ca.”
Emphasis mine. I hope that means they have biological evidence that links them to the crime. I'm not sure if that’s part of a boilerplate statement.
Maybe evidence on the victim and at the scene + genetic genealogy? (Speculation on my part.)
Possibly the plates, glasses and cutlery they used. I understand the need to keep a lid on the information. I also think that the Owen Sound community came through for LE. Maybe, in retrospect, people put two and two together when thinking about abrupt departures and advised LE. It's possible the culprits are visitors to the area but the age of the vehicle suggests more local input to me. IMO

The reality is more likely that they were average Canadians that committed a hate crime because of rising anti-South Asian sentiment in Canada. A lot of average Canadians are harboring the same extremist kind of sentiments (one can look online, even on normal, popular platforms like Tiktok, Instagram, Facebook, and Reddit to see hateful and at times violent sentiment regarding South Asians) and I wouldn’t be surprised if some extremely South Asian looking man telling them to pay up for their meal triggered something in them.

I know this theory isn’t interesting or fancy or whatever, but with the recent uptick in anti-South Asian hate crime, it’s probably what it is. More of these incidents will become commonplace in the future. And they don’t look like poor thugs to me, so I doubt this isn’t racially motivated to some extent (as there are instances of criminals attacking restaurant owners for free meals and what not).

Oh, and their clothing just looks like what average men their age wear in America. I don’t think there’s a deeper meaning behind their clothing. I’m not from Canada but I’ve been to Canada like four times now, and their clothing also wouldn’t be completely out of the norm for summers there.

JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back