CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the scene of the murder of Constable Heidi Stevenson near the intersection of Hwy 2 and Hwy 24. I have viewed a video (uploaded by someone on Thread 1) recorded by a couple who come upon the scene when both GW's fake RCMP car and Stevenson's car are on fire - so GW has already left the scene in another victim's car. In that video I see officers climbing over the guard rail and going down a slope, then returning up the slope. Then, in this news article, there is a picture of officers doing a fingertip search of that slope. Did GW possibly discard important evidence down that slope? The Nova Scotia shootings began with an act of domestic abuse — and there were red flags that came before
Perhaps looking for shell casings?

'Support and love': Virtual vigil for Nova Scotia victims airs tonight

The CTV News special, which will include musical performances and messages from dignitaries, will be offered live on CTV Atlantic, CTV2 Atlantic, CTVNews.ca and CTV News Channel on Friday, April 24, starting at 6 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. ADT. CTV Atlantic’s Steve Murphy will host the CTV News Special.

How to watch the virtual vigil for the Nova Scotia shooting victims

Global News will also be airing the vigil on its Maritime stations and will stream it over YouTube, Facebook and GlobalNews.ca. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. AT/6 p.m. ET.

To quietly honour all these victims, this thread will be closed during the vigil and reopen when it is over.

I am trying to find the time the actual vigil starts in case it is different from the above.

If anyone else finds it first, could you please let me know. Thank you.

(On a personal note, today is also the anniversary of my own mom's death, so I will be honouring all those special people with a ton of love.)

Re: the scene of the murder of Constable Heidi Stevenson near the intersection of Hwy 2 and Hwy 24. I have viewed a video (uploaded by someone on Thread 1) recorded by a couple who come upon the scene when both GW's fake RCMP car and Stevenson's car are on fire - so GW has already left the scene in another victim's car. In that video I see officers climbing over the guard rail and going down a slope, then returning up the slope. Then, in this news article, there is a picture of officers doing a fingertip search of that slope. Did GW possibly discard important evidence down that slope? The Nova Scotia shootings began with an act of domestic abuse — and there were red flags that came before
Perhaps looking for shell casings?
LE transmissions are either encrypted or not, they don't bounce back and forth for different types of info.

I believe it was mentioned in the PC that radio traffic was encrypted, he only would be able to intercept if he had a stolen radio or similar that could receive the transmissions.

Not sure if that app has access to this specific channel they use. In Ontario we can listen to some scanner traffic/channels but not others ( ie OPP is unencrypted and can be picked up on scanner, but not TPS).

That being said, the Fire or ems radio may have been unencrypted and picked up on a handheld.

JMO
EMS was not encrypted. I started listening to it yesterday on Broadcastify but didn’t have time to listen to all of it. You can always listen real-time, but for a small subscription fee you can access the archives. None of that can be discussed here unless the info is released by LE.

It's just curious that the first officers on the scene (in video where vehicles are burning) chose to go down that slope - as though they had seen something down there - while other officers were clearly sheltering with weapons drawn behind the armoured vehicle where they brought someone to safety.

I hate to get into that video as it has been deleted by mods multiple times bc of what it depicts. But with out elaborating too much I believe the officers where trying to carry their fallen officer down the hill and away from the fire.

Last edited:

bbm
Talk about lucky timing for the folks who recorded that video at the scene. It seems they were likely just minutes away from becoming murder/car jacking victims themselves. IMO

But it doesn't sound like he was keeping the fake cop car a secret, a guy Hudson knew, his gf likely knew and usually in small towns word gets around. Heck there was even a picture of the fake cop car online. That's how the police got the picture of it to release to media. People knew. JMO

Interestingly, there’s an entire Act governing the behaviour of RCMP officers.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act

But as for private citizens replicating identifiable RCMP equipment, assumably this includes vehicles, as long as it’s not stolen I’m finding legislation which makes it illegal if it’s used to impersonate a police (peace) officer, but nothing more.

Somewhere in the last thread iirc it was mentioned anyone owning a vehicle replica would require to move it via flatbed trailer, as opposed to driving it. Therefore prior to this horrible tragedy it appears GW replicating the fake cruiser was not illegal IMO.....unless someone can find legislation to the contrary.

BBM

Criminal Code
Personating peace officer
  • 130 (1) Everyone commits an offence who
    • (a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

• (b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
  • Marginal note - punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Last edited:
A summary of some info from the PC:

Other new details revealed Friday morning:

• Police believe the killer escaped road barriers set up in Portapique, where 13 people were discovered dead at seven locations, by driving through a field. Investigators did not know a car had been witnessed escaping through a field until later, Campbell said. That allowed him to travel him about 100 km and to kill a further nine people.
  • Campbell says, contrary to a report in the Globe and Mail, they have not uncovered a hit list created by the killer. He says that report, based on information from a neighbour, may stem from police contacting people they believed may have been at risk and removing them to safety. They were then interviewed by police to gather information.
  • While much evidence that may have been in the killer’s home has been destroyed, police did recover pieces of a uniform he was wearing. Investigators say he stopped to change clothes about 30 minutes before he was killed by police.
  • Campbell says they appear to be discarded or old pieces of uniforms, including one item from another police agency.
RCMP detail killer's path through Nova Scotia

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Close but I believe the surviellance camera was actually further south of the the RCMP detachment.

about .5km south

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

upload_2020-4-24_14-25-46.png

upload_2020-4-24_14-36-21.png

upload_2020-4-24_14-41-18.png

I aligned it with the concrete barriers and the small white heating and cooling unit attached to the side of the small building. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
'Support and love': Virtual vigil for Nova Scotia victims airs tonight

The CTV News special, which will include musical performances and messages from dignitaries, will be offered live on CTV Atlantic, CTV2 Atlantic, CTVNews.ca and CTV News Channel on Friday, April 24, starting at 6 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. ADT. CTV Atlantic’s Steve Murphy will host the CTV News Special.

How to watch the virtual vigil for the Nova Scotia shooting victims

Global News will also be airing the vigil on its Maritime stations and will stream it over YouTube, Facebook and GlobalNews.ca. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. AT/6 p.m. ET.

To quietly honour all these victims, this thread will be closed during the vigil and reopen when it is over.

I am trying to find the time the actual vigil starts in case it is different from the above.

If anyone else finds it first, could you please let me know. Thank you.

(On a personal note, today is also the anniversary of my own mom's death, so I will be honouring all those special people with a ton of love.)

Thank you❤️

We have all been lighting candles to put in our front windows at night.

I’ll light extra candles for your late mother and for you. I’m sorry for your loss.

Another alert has gone out of shots being fired near Halifax :( N.S. RCMP respond to report of shots fired in Hammonds Plains

RCMP, Nova Scotia
@RCMPNS

·
1h

RCMPNS are responding to report of shots fired (unconfirmed) in the Haliburton Heights area of #HammondsPlains. #Tantallon RCMP on scene asking residents to stay inside.”
RCMP, Nova Scotia on Twitter

Retweeted over 2, 200. times

Last update:
RCMP, Nova Scotia
@RCMPNS

“please stay inside”
RCMP, Nova Scotia on Twitter

ETA: please read comments in twitter feed above. The US consulate has emailed US citizens in this area at around 3:00 about an active shooting.

10 minutes ago:

WaterfrontMdaHfx

@HfxMda

Heavy police presence at Canadian Tire in Dartmouth Crossing. No other details

https://twitter.com/HfxMda/status/1253758510686523393?s=20

FURTHER EDIT: please look at photos at twitter link above. Look at citizen twitter photos.

Last edited:
This link below contains a timeline of the RCMP’s investigation to date which might be helpful for any of us trying to understand the sequence of the tragic happenings -
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/n...rom-assault-on-woman-to-his-own-death-441842/

“Campbell said the fact that suspect looked like a police officer was a complicating factor in tracking him down.

“I don’t think it’s difficult for non-police personnel and the public to understand that it would obviously complicate things,: Campbell said. “I’ve been a police officer for almost 30 years now and I can’t imagine any more horrific set of circumstances than when you are trying to search for someone who looks like you. The dangers that that causes, the complications that that causes. That obviously was an advantage that the suspect had on police, had on the public and had on every person he encountered through the course of his rampage.”..”

Interestingly, there’s an entire Act governing the behaviour of RCMP officers.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act

But as for private citizens replicating identifiable RCMP equipment, assumably this includes vehicles, as long as it’s not stolen I’m finding legislation which makes it illegal if it’s used to impersonate a police (peace) officer, but nothing more.

Somewhere in the last thread iirc it was mentioned anyone owning a vehicle replica would require to move it via flatbed trailer, as opposed to driving it. Therefore prior to this horrible tragedy it appears GW replicating the fake cruiser was not illegal IMO.....unless someone can find legislation to the contrary.

BBM

Criminal Code
Personating peace officer
  • 130 (1) Everyone commits an offence who
    • (a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

• (b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
  • Marginal note - punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

• (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
That makes sense to me. If someone wants to try on their uncle's police uniform, maybe even wear it for Halloween, we don't want to make those innocent actions illegal. But the law comes down if the intent isn't innocent.

I wonder about selling accurate police vehicle decals, uniforms, etc to civilians. The people who manufacture them probably sign contracts guaranteeing they're solely for delivery to police. So then, there might be theft from the supplier for a black market, and that would be criminal, with a potential charge of accessory to the crimes.

In the original thread Peace777 asked how could he have gotten plates for replica cop cars.

I don't believe these were replica cop cars but were ex cop cars. Anyone can purchase ex police vehicles and reuse them. In fact many branches sell their ex vehicles to raise money.

I think he just bought some ex cop vehicles and plated them as one would any vehicle they bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025