CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Grenades too. That, the large amount of ammunition and gasoline, no wonder the sounds of explosions were reportedly heard in addition to the raging fires throughout Portapique that horrible night. Then to use an Armageddon type scene to lure innocent people from the safety of their homes who no doubt thought others might require their assistance, luring to kill....absolutely chilling, depraved, well beyond imagining.

I agree. Of what we know, this case wasn’t a “suicide by cop” example whereby the criminal intentionally sets himself up in a threatening manner knowing he’d be killed by police. Just the opposite, he was fleeing police and we don’t know what his next intentions were. By the 2nd day of killings he probably thought he was invincible.

What brought him down was his inability to control the volume of gas in the vehicle he stole and an alert tactical squad. Just the act of gassing up indicates he wasn’t finished what he set out to do. As he allegedly hated cops, if cornered I think a person like him would be more likely to take his own life rather than allow a “suicide by cop”.

JMO
I don't know exactly how he planned to die, of course, but I don't believe he expected to survive his rampage, and I think his careful actions, over that long period of time, show he had hours to mull over what happened and come to his senses, but he chose not to.

IMO, not wanting to die is a powerful motive that prevents rage-filled people from enacting some version of armaggedan. Instead, people with an instinct to survive, just act it out in their imagination, or through movies or videogames. JMO.

I don't know exactly how he planned to die, of course, but I don't believe he expected to survive his rampage, and I think his careful actions, over that long period of time, show he had hours to mull over what happened and come to his senses, but he chose not to.

IMO, not wanting to die is a powerful motive that prevents rage-filled people from enacting some version of armaggedan. Instead, people with an instinct to survive, just act it out in their imagination, or through movies or videogames. JMO.

I’d wonder if he even considered his own death as it appeared he was intent on fighting some sort of self-created war against innocent people.

Someone stated in one of the released documents iirc he thought he was smarter than police. All his actions indicate that to be so IMO - to avoid capture including the exit through the Portapique field almost immediately after LE arrived on site and switching from Joey’s vehicle to that of a future victim to avoid detection.

But something I’m very curious about is details regarding the ending - what caused the RCMP members to stop at the gas station? It just seems well beyond a sheer coincidence that happened by chance and so I think there’s more to it, information that hasn’t been released. Were they tipped off somehow?

I also wonder if he was still in uniform and his pistol was initially holstered. If so he was prepared to shoot anyone at any time.

“At the time, police were advising on Twitter that he was driving a silver Chevrolet Tracker in the Milford, N.S., area.

But by that point, the suspected shooter was actually driving a Mazda 3 owned by one of his victims, Gina Goulet, who lived in nearby Shubenacadie.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...-girlfriend-stole-victim-vehicle-ns-1.5543194

Mounties who shot Portapique killer will not be charged | The Chronicle Herald
“As RCMP members drove into the Enfield Irving Big Stop gas station, the suspect was observed in a vehicle unknown to the officers,” the SIRT news release said. “He was in possession of a pistol and when he saw the officers, he raised his firearm. Fearing for their personal safety and the safety of the public, the officers fired multiple shots at the suspect, striking and killing him.”

I’d wonder if he even considered his own death as it appeared he was intent on fighting some sort of self-created war against innocent people.

Someone stated in one of the released documents iirc he thought he was smarter than police. All his actions indicate that to be so IMO - to avoid capture including the exit through the Portapique field almost immediately after LE arrived on site and switching from Joey’s vehicle to that of a future victim to avoid detection.

But something I’m very curious about is details regarding the ending - what caused the RCMP members to stop at the gas station? It just seems well beyond a sheer coincidence that happened by chance and so I think there’s more to it, information that hasn’t been released. Were they tipped off somehow?

I also wonder if he was still in uniform and his pistol was initially holstered. If so he was prepared to shoot anyone at any time.

“At the time, police were advising on Twitter that he was driving a silver Chevrolet Tracker in the Milford, N.S., area.

But by that point, the suspected shooter was actually driving a Mazda 3 owned by one of his victims, Gina Goulet, who lived in nearby Shubenacadie.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...-girlfriend-stole-victim-vehicle-ns-1.5543194

Mounties who shot Portapique killer will not be charged | The Chronicle Herald
“As RCMP members drove into the Enfield Irving Big Stop gas station, the suspect was observed in a vehicle unknown to the officers,” the SIRT news release said. “He was in possession of a pistol and when he saw the officers, he raised his firearm. Fearing for their personal safety and the safety of the public, the officers fired multiple shots at the suspect, striking and killing him.”
I am curious about that as well. Even if the officers at the gas station thought it might be him, how were they so sure, that they killed him on sight? But I had not read that bit about him raising a pistol to the officers, I guess that would do it?

I am curious about that as well. Even if the officers at the gas station thought it might be him, how were they so sure, that they killed him on sight? But I had not read that bit about him raising a pistol to the officers, I guess that would do it?

So he wasn’t wearing a police uniform, he’d brought along a change of clothing? and was driving a unknown vehicle, and then “an encounter” occurred at the gas station resulting in the shooter raising a firearm .....??? Well there has to more to that story.

Detailed timeline outlines terrifying moments of Nova Scotia shooting - NEWS 1130
“He then took off the police uniform he was wearing and left in the woman’s car. From there, Campbell said the shooter drove to a gas station in Enfield.

“While he was at the gas pumps, one of our tactical resources came into the gas station to refuel their vehicle. When the officer exited the vehicle, there was an encounter and the gunman was shot and killed by police at 11:26 a.m.”

So he wasn’t wearing a police uniform, he’d brought along a change of clothing? and was driving a unknown vehicle, and then “an encounter” occurred at the gas station resulting in the shooter raising a firearm .....??? Well there has to more to that story.

Detailed timeline outlines terrifying moments of Nova Scotia shooting - NEWS 1130
“He then took off the police uniform he was wearing and left in the woman’s car. From there, Campbell said the shooter drove to a gas station in Enfield.

“While he was at the gas pumps, one of our tactical resources came into the gas station to refuel their vehicle. When the officer exited the vehicle, there was an encounter and the gunman was shot and killed by police at 11:26 a.m.”
Is it possible 'the encounter' is referring to the shooter raising a pistol to one of the officers? It all would've had to have been SO super fast though.. it seems impossible to think that in a previously unidentified civilian vehicle, with a fellow in civilian clothes (after knowing the suspect was previously dressed as a police officer), that if an officer saw a person raise a pistol, he could've identified him that quickly to match any potential photo police may have had of him to identify him by? Is it possible police just simply reacted to a gun being drawn at them and killing no questions asked, and THEN discovering it was THE suspect after the fact??

Is it possible 'the encounter' is referring to the shooter raising a pistol to one of the officers? It all would've had to have been SO super fast though.. it seems impossible to think that in a previously unidentified civilian vehicle, with a fellow in civilian clothes (after knowing the suspect was previously dressed as a police officer), that if an officer saw a person raise a pistol, he could've identified him that quickly to match any potential photo police may have had of him to identify him by? Is it possible police just simply reacted to a gun being drawn at them and killing no questions asked, and THEN discovering it was THE suspect after the fact??

This report is more detailed. It’s gratifying to know one of his victims managed to injure him IMO.

'Mere coincidence': N.S. gunman killed after Mounties pull up at gas pump next to him
"It was a mere coincidence when the (officers) stopped to refuel their vehicle that unbeknown to them, the (suspect) was at an adjacent pump sitting in a vehicle that the (officers) were not on the lookout for," says the report by watchdog director Felix Cacchione, published Thursday.

It says when the officer who was driving got out to refuel, he saw a man with a noticeable injury and blood on his forehead.

The driver recognized the gunman, who had killed 22 people in a rampage beginning the previous night, from photos that had been posted at an RCMP command post, the report says. The officers themselves had seen firsthand the carnage in the village of Portapique, N.S., the report notes.

It says the Mountie drew his service weapon and "yelled out" to his partner that Wortman was in the vehicle next to theirs.

The second officer then moved across the front of the vehicle and Wortman raised the pistol he had stolen from RCMP Const. Heidi Stevenson, whom he had killed about 30 minutes earlier. Both officers opened fire, and Wortman died at the scene, the report says...”

I wonder if the head wound was impact from the collision with Heidi Stevenson? Whacked his head on the steering wheel perhaps? Is it wrong to relish the thought that he suffered somewhat for at least a little while prior to being shot? He probably thought he was invincible and could do as he pleased.....but he was not.

It seems that such huge risks were taken at that gas station. First and foremost, from what I understand, the shooter was at the pump, filling up at the time.. surely gunfire would pose a great risk right at the gas pumps? Secondly, the 'driver' indicated in the article above says he recognized the shooter, and 'yelled' to his partner.. which also seems like something they wouldn't have wanted to do at the moment? Nothing like letting the shooter know that the cops know they're onto him? The whole gas station thing doesn't make sense. imo.

It seems that such huge risks were taken at that gas station. First and foremost, from what I understand, the shooter was at the pump, filling up at the time.. surely gunfire would pose a great risk right at the gas pumps? Secondly, the 'driver' indicated in the article above says he recognized the shooter, and 'yelled' to his partner.. which also seems like something they wouldn't have wanted to do at the moment? Nothing like letting the shooter know that the cops know they're onto him? The whole gas station thing doesn't make sense. imo.

It sure must’ve been a very volatile situation requiring quick thinking and precise action by the officers. I don’t think the gas pumps pose a great danger as the gas is in underground tanks. Once the shooter was sighted the officers had no choice but an immediate attempt an arrest or shoot to kill. Had they not, not only the two officers but others at the gas station were at high risk of getting killed. By that time it was certainly known he was an armed and highly dangerous lunatic.

I have read online many versions of "the takedown" and wish a consistent story would emerge. Reading these online I have forgotten exactly what the sources were as I get sidetracked easily by clicking headlines, so cannot point to specific sources unless I do a lot of backtracking.
I have seen video of multiple police officers at the gas station, but these are obviously taken much later. I'd still like to see the original on site footage from security cameras. Not for anything graphic but just to show what happened and how.

The description of the takedown in the official Summary of Investigation report from the Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT) reads as follows:

The AP was headed toward Halifax-Dartmouth when he stopped for gas at the Irving Big Stop in Enfield. SO1 and SO2 were travelling together and unaware that the AP was no longer driving the Chevrolet vehicle when they pulled in to refuel at the same Irving Big Stop. SO1 was driving the police vehicle and stopped at a pump adjacent to a pump where a grey Mazda 3 vehicle was parked. SO1 exited the vehicle to begin re-fueling and as he looked across to the adjoining pump he observed a male with a noticeable hematoma and some blood on his forehead.​

SO1 recognized this person as the AP from photographs he had seen at the command post. SO1 drew his service weapon and alerted S02 that the AP was in the vehicle parked next to theirs. SO2, a member of the Emergency Response Team, left the vehicle and moved across the front of the police vehicle. The AP then raised the pistol he had stolen from the RCMP officer he killed approximately 30 minutes earlier. SO1 and SO2 then began firing their service weapons. The AP died at the scene.​

RSBM. Note AP = Affected Party - that would be the gunman. SO1 and SO2 are the Subject Officers who discharged their firearms. It's a short report but worth the read.

MOO

Why is it that reading that report only raises more questions LOL! Why did he not just drive away when the police pulled up? Did he think he would not be recognised? I can see him sitting there and thinking "Of all the cars to pull in for gas close to me, why did it have to be that one!" But, if he had fueled up, why not just leave? Or if he had not, why not pull over somewhere else in the parking lot, hiding out until they left. Would anyone even notice him then?
Always more questions. If it had not been for the wound on his head, perhaps he would have gone unnoticed.

Why is it that reading that report only raises more questions LOL! Why did he not just drive away when the police pulled up? Did he think he would not be recognised? I can see him sitting there and thinking "Of all the cars to pull in for gas close to me, why did it have to be that one!" But, if he had fueled up, why not just leave? Or if he had not, why not pull over somewhere else in the parking lot, hiding out until they left. Would anyone even notice him then?
Always more questions. If it had not been for the wound on his head, perhaps he would have gone unnoticed.

I’m just glad the killer is not around to answer those questions! There can’t have been and logical or rational thought driving any of his deeply disturbed behaviours. Maybe he believed himself to be invisible to the enemy.

“The ending” is surely an excellent example of Karma at its finest. It was incredibly extraordinary, “stars aligned just right” for those two officers to pull up to a vacant gas pump adjacent to him. They deserve huge credit for their alert actions, bravery and successful engagement but it must be very difficult for them to find balance in the face of the other criticism levied against the RCMP. Perhaps they will be recognized when the inquiry is complete (some day).

Just to add, I heard an interesting comment the other day - Police go towards danger, the rest of us run from it.

JMO

Speaking of the wound on his head.. the fact that he continued driving around with obvious injuries to his head, seemingly without even cleaning himself up.. it makes me wonder if he indeed was 'out of it' mentally. The blood on his forehead sure would've made him stand out to *anyone* who happened to see him. Was he oblivious to his own injuries?

Speaking of the wound on his head.. the fact that he continued driving around with obvious injuries to his head, seemingly without even cleaning himself up.. it makes me wonder if he indeed was 'out of it' mentally. The blood on his forehead sure would've made him stand out to *anyone* who happened to see him. Was he oblivious to his own injuries?

Maybe he was running on adrenaline?

Maybe he was running on adrenaline?

Yes, I agree. And some wounds can stop bleeding, then start again, something the killer would have absolutely no control over. A high pounding heart rate, high blood pressure, his rage when he discovered his innocent victim’s car was low on gas.....

His evil body gave himself away IMO.

Last edited:
I do hope the wound was the result of someone fighting back. Somehow that just makes it more fitting that it helped identify him to police. Had he got to Halifax in the stolen car, who knows what would have happened then. Desperate armed people who are cornered in metropolitan areas does not sound like a good thing to think about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back