CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about the car is quite curious, to me. Where were her keys? Why remove her from her home at all? There was blood on the front step, even. Why not leave her in the house?

The perp created no less than 3 crime scenes. Why drive her out to that spot, then drive her car back to 500 metres within her home?

The following quote is interesting. Her ex-boyfriend must remain friends with her family, since he was in Bolton. The article also mentions that there is a Marks Work Wearhouse in Bolton.

Police say work boots key clue in Varaschin murder

A man who claimed to be Varaschin's ex-boyfriend, but who would not give his name, said Wednesday that Varaschin "was a fantastic girl," who would never have knowingly put herself in danger.

"All I can tell you is she's a really good girl," the man, who said he dated Varaschin 12 years ago, told CTV Toronto's John Musselman outside the Varaschin family home in Bolton.

"Whoever did it, I suspect, she had to know. She wasn't the type of girl to let a stranger in. It just doesn't make sense."

They are sized 10 or 11. The two brands are sold exclusively through Mark's Work Wearhouse. There is one outlet of the chain in Orangeville. Two others are located in Alliston and Bolton.

Varaschin was reported missing on Aug. 30. The 42-year-old had failed to report to work at a Mississauga pharmaceutical company. Police found her bloodied Toyota Corolla less than 500 metres from her townhouse.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100908/varaschin-details-100908/20100908?hub=Toronto

What Pritchard wanted to focus on was her killer's boots.

At the news conference, police displayed four sets of work boots with identical soles. They were made by the WindRiver and Dakota companies and are sold exclusively at Mark's Work Warehouse.

He said that perhaps her killer discarded his work boots and bought a new pair. Perhaps he'll get rid of them after hearing of the police news conference on Wednesday, Pritchard said.
46ec06064908bd81286b420b2725.jpeg

An OPP officer displays the type of work boot, available at Mark’s Work Wearhouse, believed to have been worn by Sonia Varaschin's killer.​

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/858113

size 10 or 11 Wind River or Dakota boots

450_shoes_100908.jpg

web-orangeville-_867202gm-l.jpg

web-orangeville-_867227gm-l.jpg

OPP officers present the style of boots that they say may help them find the killer of an Orangeville woman

He also said there was no sign of forced entry in her brick townhome, which backs onto a ravine.

He dismissed the suggestion that Varaschin willingly allowed her killer into her home, or that the killer had a key.

“You’re assuming that the door was locked,” Pritchard said.

Which of the 3 crime scenes was the boot print left at? (assuming a print was left).

Did it take this long to figure out the boot print make/size/origin? Was the print found at her house? Was the print found at the scene of recovery? One boot shows "Wind River" marked on the bottom. Does the Dakota boot show Wind River too, even though it is a different "brand"?

LE mentioned the shoes here in the Sept.3rd presser:

During a Friday morning (Sept. 3) news conference Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard also urged the public to call in if they noticed anyone with a “significant” amount of blood on their clothes or ...shoes Monday morning (Aug. 30) or acting uncharacteristically.

LE knew of the first 2 crime scenes, at the September 3rd presser, and were asking for info on shoes. I will speculate that the boot print must be from either Sonia's home or the car scene, and that LE had quite quickly determined the make of the boot (possibly due to the Wind River markings on the tread itself), and were trying to catch the perp.

They have specifically selected this information on the boots to release to the public at this time, but I think they have known of it since the beginning of the case.

RSBM
I'm assuming all 4 boots models have the same imprint, maybe someone here can confirm this?

Regarding your first question, IMO there might be several boot prints (or partial boot prints) at all crime scenes, but most likely at her home, JMHO.

Good point about several prints and/or partial prints. I agree, they were most likely found in her home.

Okay, thanks. I can't read the Wind River on the bottom of the Dakota boots.

Good point about several prints and/or partial prints. I agree, they were most likely found in her home.

LOL Wondergirl, I went back to re-check and now I believe the zoomed-in pic belongs to the Wind River (boot on top of box at the right hand side). I deleted my post, but you had already quoted me :blushing:

Can someone please post the pic of the close-up shot that was taken in front of Sonia's home...it shows blood on/near the front step....

Tx ;)

LOL Wondergirl, I went back to re-check and now I believe the zoomed-in pic belongs to the Wind River (boot on top of box at the right hand side). I deleted my post, but you had already quoted me :blushing:

lol, okay I edited my post

I think LE wanted to include both brands, since they are so similar looking in appearance, and the treads themselves certainly appear to be identical. Maybe LE has the "wind river" stamp in their print(s) and maybe they don't. Perhaps they only have a partial, and of course, they wouldn't know what the upper looked like on the boot, unless they had forensic evidence from the material of the boot itself.

I wonder if LE can tell if the boot was new or well worn by the clarity of the print(s)?

I am thinking this was a neighbor someone she barely knew well - maybe from a store she often went to. Construction worker that saw her. Maybe she left her door open for a moment and he had been watching her. Removing her from the home was maybe a failed attempt to cover up the gruesome murder - but perhaps he got spotted or had to be someplace and lived or worked near her home and that explains driving her car back and leaving it near. I am thinking he reported either to work early or late. I think this is not an experienced killer - but instead a first timer with some serious issues. Crime of passion type thing.

He could have had a car himself but did not want to get evidence in it. Don't orderlies at hospitals or maintenance workers wear boots?

0908boots.jpg

This picture here, clearly shows the Dakota stamp on the tread, FYI.

Police searching for Sonia Varaschin’s killer say the key to knowing his face now lies in looking at his feet.

Based on a bloody footprint left at one of three crime scenes — Ms. Varaschin’s townhouse, her white Toyota Corolla and the place where a man walking his dog discovered her remains on Sunday — police say he wore a size 10 or 11 work boot bought at Mark’s Work Wearhouse.

Police believe Ms. Varaschin was attacked during the night, between Sunday and Monday morning, and her bed sheet and comforter used to move her body into her car, which was driven to Beech Grove Side Road. Her body was discarded there along with the bedding.

Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/09/09/fear-grips-orangeville-after-murder/#ixzz0z2bPyAKg
Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/09/09/fear-grips-orangeville-after-murder/#ixzz0z2bHa0gq

Which of the 3 crime scenes was the boot print left at? (assuming a print was left).

Did it take this long to figure out the boot print make/size/origin? Was the print found at her house? Was the print found at the scene of recovery? One boot shows "Wind River" marked on the bottom. Does the Dakota boot show Wind River too, even though it is a different "brand"?

LE mentioned the shoes here in the Sept.3rd presser:

During a Friday morning (Sept. 3) news conference Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard also urged the public to call in if they noticed anyone with a “significant” amount of blood on their clothes or ...shoes Monday morning (Aug. 30) or acting uncharacteristically.

LE knew of the first 2 crime scenes, at the September 3rd presser, and were asking for info on shoes. I will speculate that the boot print must be from either Sonia's home or the car scene, and that LE had quite quickly determined the make of the boot (possibly due to the Wind River markings on the tread itself), and were trying to catch the perp.

They have specifically selected this information on the boots to release to the public at this time, but I think they have known of it since the beginning of the case.

It would make sense for LE to initially withold info. about the boots,as they covertly observe who may have a pair, in early days of the investigation.Now that the info is out,I guess that checking the public garbage dump is next.

I think those boots are gone. The killer is obviously reading the media reports. HOWEVER. Perhaps LE has already seen boots like these on their person of interest and released the information after noting the boots and are waiting for the perp to either panic and toss them, or have a third party name the same suspect. IMO

You will find the picture you are looking for here:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Toronto, 29 Aug 2010

OOOPs, see I was a little slow attaching the link where it was first shown on this forum :)

Thanks for posting this quote anyway, NBG, as there are pics here that I have not seen.

I notice in the pictures that Sonia's upper window is open in the picture, and also the garage door is open.

I wonder why there would be blood on the front step, assuming it is hers :-( , if her car was parked IN the garage (woudn't the perp rather HIDE what he was doing, by going in the garage, from the inside door to the garage?)???????

IMO, the reason Sonia was removed from her home might be her killer's DNA on her body.

I agree that would probably be the number 1 reason,or the perp wanted to "spread out"the crime scene, in order to complicate the investigation. Perhaps if the perp lived or worked nearby,they wanted to distance themselves or family members from the impending onslaught of LE and media. Conversely, if the perp wanted to watch the proceedings,they may have chosen the "dumping" spots accordingly.

As for people keeping an eye out for men wearing workboots,I think someone who normally wears them, but is not now would be more"conspicuous' by the absence of said boots.

Thanks for posting this quote anyway, NBG, as there are pics here that I have not seen.

I notice in the pictures that Sonia's upper window is open in the picture, and also the garage door is open.

I wonder why there would be blood on the front step, assuming it is hers :-( , if her car was parked IN the garage (woudn't the perp rather HIDE what he was doing, by going in the garage, from the inside door to the garage?)???????

Maybe he wasn't familiar with the house.

In my opinion the garage was too small for the perp to carry the body through the garage with the car parked inside there. I think he had no choice but to take her out the front door and place her in the trunk (assuming the car was parked in the garage frontward).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee