CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was thinking too. It was very hot and humid that weekend to be making a fashion statement in steel toed boots but then I wondered what kind of job would have someone either returning from or going to work at that time on a Sunday night/Monday morning. :waitasec:

bbm

Dump truck driver's, milk haulers from dairy farms, overtime in a factory( many work through week-ends) someone commuting to a construction job, shipping and receiving. Those are just some that come to mind.

I also found it odd that the police would not discuss who was the last person who actually claimed they saw Sonia before she went missing and when and at what time that was. I believe the question was asked in the press conference today but the officer would not answer it.

Since this case started as a missing persons case, wouldn't it have been normal for someone to have released this information or any information as to where she may have been that day or that weekend prior to her disappearance?

Or have I missed this information somewhere?

Odd to wear boots for style in the heat of the summer. Probably really was a worker or someone out to commit a crime (premeditation).

I am not saying that my ex husband was normal in any way, shape or fashion, but he ALWAYS wore steel toe boots. In fact, I don't think he owned a pair of regular shoes in the 10 years that I knew him. He was excited when he found a pair of steel toe hikers. Oddly excited. Now that I think of it, that may have been part of the reason I'm not married to him anymore.:/

:)

[/B]

bbm

Dump truck driver's, milk haulers from dairy farms, overtime in a factory( many work through week-ends) someone commuting to a construction job, shipping and receiving. Those are just some that come to mind.

I wonder if any of the maintenance workers from a hospital would be required to were safety toed shoes or boots.

At our hospital there has been construction going on for several years now and there are probably several hundred construction workers there.

Sonia Varaschin disappeared on August 29th and her body was later found wrapped in bedding sheets a short distance from her house.

The police believe there was only one person responsible for her death and that she died during the night of her attack. They are urging the public to come forward with any information and be on the lookout for the murderer who they say is presently on the loose.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoelive/tag/sonia-varaschin/

I also found it odd that the police would not discuss who was the last person who actually claimed they saw Sonia before she went missing and when and at what time that was. I believe the question was asked in the press conference today but the officer would not answer it.

Since this case started as a missing persons case, wouldn't it have been normal for someone to have released this information or any information as to where she may have been that day or that weekend prior to her disappearance?

Or have I missed this information somewhere?

All I have read is that she was last seen on the Sunday evening.

http://www.orangeville.com/news/loc...s-in-sonia-varaschin-disappearance-discounted

Sonia Varaschin disappeared on August 29th and her body was later found wrapped in bedding sheets a short distance from her house.

The police believe there was only one person responsible for her death and that she died during the night of her attack. They are urging the public to come forward with any information and be on the lookout for the murderer who they say is presently on the loose.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoelive/tag/sonia-varaschin/

Thanks for that, I was wondering if LE was still looking for the sheets since it wasn't reported until now that she was found with them. Is the general public at risk of being harmed by this person? This statement is alarming.

I agree, why no info about who saw her last and what she was doing in her last few days and hours?

I wonder if any of the maintenance workers from a hospital would be required to were safety toed shoes or boots.

At our hospital there has been construction going on for several years now and there are probably several hundred construction workers there.

I would say yes or the health and safety board would be on their back. It can be a very large fine.

That's what I was thinking too. It was very hot and humid that weekend to be making a fashion statement in steel toed boots but then I wondered what kind of job would have someone either returning from or going to work at that time on a Sunday night/Monday morning. :waitasec:

People working in the entertainment industry such as movie ,television or stage crew, can work those hours and require safety boots.

gosh I hope someone can catch Jasmine & take care of her - she's gotta be hungry & tramautized & scared as all get out

I also find it very interesting that they wont say who the last person was that saw her alive...........

also she had a boyfriend didnt she??? does anyone know what he did for a living?? if she had a boyfriend and it wasnt him then since they think the perp knew her unit well, she may have been having an affair or had an unwanted admirer.....

Instead of hospital maintenance workers, I was thinking more along the lines that her townhouse complex may have had maintenance/construction done at some point and the perp became aquainted with her then. She may have allowed access to her unit by maintenance workers or spoke to them about the complex especially if she was a Board member. Not sure if she was a Board member though.

Pritchard said there are several “persons of interest” in the investigation. He declined to expand, except to say that murder investigations routinely begin with people who knew their victim best.

Pritchard also declined to comment on the murder weapon used to kill Varaschin when she was attacked in her home on semisecluded Spring Street, a few minutes’ walk from the city's downtown.

He also would not comment on the cause of her death, whether she was sexually assaulted or if the killer's DNA was found on her body.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/858113

IMO, the reason Sonia was removed from her home might be her killer's DNA on her body.

I have to say, I agree with this column.

If there is good reason for women to fear a killer on the loose — police should say so.

If Sonia Varaschin was murdered by someone unlikely to attack anybody else — police should say so.

There is a vast difference between not random and acutely personal.

That the 42-year-old nurse may have known the individual who took her life, as clearly suspected by investigators, does not automatically make this a crime of specificity rather than homicide of opportunity.

That she might have left her door unlocked on a steamy summer weekend, as the lead detective implied at a news conference Wednesday afternoon, raises new questions about how and why this particular, petite woman came to such a gruesome end.

It is not reassuring.

I know that LE like to keep certain things close to the chest in order to help catch the murderer, though at what cost to the general public?

Should investigators have evidence to blunt that fear, they ought to share it now because alleviating anxiety could not possibly compromise their pursuit of the murderer. What they’re not saying, or selectively saying, verges on the irresponsible and unfair, given the investigative covenant Pritchard has urged on the public — the help police seek.

“Last week, through the media, we asked that the public be our eyes and ears in locating Sonia. As a result of that appeal, a member of the public found human remains and bedding missing from Sonia’s home.

“Again, we’re reaching out to the public in the Orangeville area with what we believe is a key piece of the information that will lead us to the killer.’’

There is a boyfriend in the picture who’s been questioned and, a week ago, police indicated he was not a suspect. Of course, cops say a lot of things during a murder case while at the same time saying little of substance, because public remarks are always subtextual in these carefully crafted sound bites, a kind of dog-whistle dialogue between investigators and their prey.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...-should-tell-us-more-about-orangeville-killer.

I also find it very interesting that they wont say who the last person was that saw her alive...........

also she had a boyfriend didnt she??? does anyone know what he did for a living?? if she had a boyfriend and it wasnt him then since they think the perp knew her unit well, she may have been having an affair or had an unwanted admirer.....

Investigators said Varaschin’s boyfriend of more than a year was routinely questioned and has been ruled out as a suspect.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...a-varaschin-s-disappearance-expected-fri-morn

'Much of the discussion on Facebook was about the killer's boots, with posters urging anyone with suspicions to contact police.'

All Orangeville residents will be checking out everyone's footwear...to see whether or not they are wearing workboots...if they are, they'll look to see the make....there will be a lot of finger pointing...but it might be essential!

“We believe that Sonia's killer is very familiar with Orangeville, with the outskirts of Orangeville, Sonia's neighbourhood, Sonia's townhouse — and potentially Sonia herself,” he continued.
He also said there was no sign of forced entry in her brick townhome, which backs onto a ravine.

He dismissed the suggestion that Varaschin willingly allowed her killer into her home, or that the killer had a key.

“You’re assuming that the door was locked,” Pritchard said.

:waitasec: Hmmm, is he saying that Sonia had her door unlocked?

Footprint may lead to Sonia's killer: OPP

46ec06064908bd81286b420b2725.jpeg

Whoever murdered nurse Sonia Varaschin likely wore size 10 or 11 work boots from Mark's Work Wearhouse.
Her killer also likely acted alone and is very familiar with her townhouse complex in this normally quiet city of 27,000.

Those were a few of the theories released on Wednesday afternoon by investigators in the biggest homicide investigation in local memory.

“A friend, co-worker or spouse will hold the key to solving this crime,” Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard of the Ontario Provincial Police said.

Maybe they are not releasing the info of who saw her last because they either think this was a stranger who entered her home and it is irrelevant. Or because they are in the processes of questioning that person and releasing their name to the public may cause the media to speculate and thne lead to this person refusing to cooperate.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member