CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems too sloppy to have been committed by a career criminal. Again, I find it hard to believe it was premeditated and I think the police are holding on to something significant which will result in a POI being named very soon.

(Here's to hoping.)

I think all the things we are hearing about the screams, yelling and screeching of tires may be rumours. I hear a new rumour everyday, from what exactly happened to Sonia (horrible) to who the police suspect committed the murder. Some of these rumours are really off the wall, and everyone who spreads it along says that they either heard it from the police/OPP or from someone who lives in her complex.

I am still hopeful its only a matter of time before an arrest is announced. It is still WAY too quiet; something is going on behind the scenes.

I think all the things we are hearing about the screams, yelling and screeching of tires may be rumours. I hear a new rumour everyday, from what exactly happened to Sonia (horrible) to who the police suspect committed the murder. Some of these rumours are really off the wall, and everyone who spreads it along says that they either heard it from the police/OPP or from someone who lives in her complex.

I am still hopeful its only a matter of time before an arrest is announced. It is still WAY too quiet; something is going on behind the scenes.

Do you think they had a family funeral without letting the public know? I still find it hard to believe that the coroner still has her.

Good questions Rylee.

I found this today in an old article. It is the first I have seen of LE wanting to verify where Sonia was on August 29th.

Investigators are also asking anyone who saw her white Corolla on Aug. 29 or Aug. 30 to contact them.

http://www.insidecaledon.com/

Varaschin was last seen alive, visiting her parents’ home near Bolton, on Sunday, Aug. 29.

http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/872309--help-find-sonia-s-killer

Probably want to know if anyone else saw her before she arrived home or when she got home.

Do you think they had a family funeral without letting the public know? I still find it hard to believe that the coroner still has her.

I have asked the same question a few pages back. I know toxicology reports can take up to 2 months but that is done with tissue and blood sampling so they do not need the body once the samples are taken? ( Kanye West's mother, Anna Nicole Smith).

What tests and why would the police need Sonia's body for so long? Preventing some kind of hysteria, or afraid they will be accountable to answer questions the public will ask once they have "finished" with her?

Anyone have experience with this long hold on a body?

Must be tough for the family as they cannot fully grieve if they plan on having a funeral.

Just to answer a few questions asked earlier today regarding my previous post. The Police did call me back regarding the Tip that I left on the Wednesday morning (Sonia was still missing). I got the impression that they were swamped with tips coming in. As for the question regarding whether or not the guy that I saw in the alley next to the Bluebird Cafe (that leads to another large parking lot and in the direction of Sonia's house)... that is what creeped me out the most. I cannot explain it -- everything seemed wrong about the guy... especially where he was. He just made no sense standing part way down the alleyway to the back parking lot. When he saw me look towards him, his eyes never left my face. When we crossed the street and I had asked my friend to look back and take note of this guy ("that he was up to something") - when I looked, his stare was still directly at my face. Needless to say, I was uncomfortable with the eye contact and looked away. I really do think that it was just a huge coincidence... but, I just can't get the way the guy creeped me out - out of my mind. No reason though, there was nothing about the guy that stood out. When I talked to the police officer that called me back regarding the tip, I tried to put emphasis on the fact that this guy creeped me out, long before I heard anything about a missing person. I actually felt silly saying that the only way I could describe how the guy was looking at me -- was "predator". I even feel silly typing it.... but I can't express the feeling any better. Good call from someone earlier that suggested that the guy was possibly breaking into vehicles which would account for the odd canvas knapsack/travel bag. I am hoping that the police checked this guy out and may have had some video from Broadway and he has been eliminated. When we got into our vehicle, we did actually circle the block and then ended up stopping further up the street at the Winchester Arms (where there were more people... but not many). Leaving that restaurant, I was glad it was still daylight, glad I wasn't alone, and glad that our car was right in front. There was nobody else around on the street at that time and even the restaurant where we ate had only a few tables of customers. I assume the police have interviewed the employees regarding the customers they had that night. Our waitress had an accent and there was a table of young couples with their children (3 young boys). Other than that, there was only a few people at the front tables. It was still early in the evening... before 7pm --- so I assume that the police are not focused on that time - but much later. Man, I hope they catch this guy soon... or guys - as I can't seem to get by that both front doors were open on her vehicle... which would have made me think that two people got out, grabbed an item from the trunk and made a run for it.

Thanks for your post, Rylee. Have you seen that person again?

This is somewhat relevant, due to the discussions here regarding the release of Sonia to her family.

I was absolutely horrified to read that these poor women are only just NOW being released to their families, some after 12 years. OMG

Proud to be her daughter: Pickton Victims remains finally returned

Ms. Papin disappeared in March 1999 when she was 35 years old. She had seven children and a program distributed at the memorial noted she was a powwow dancer who had a strong sense of her native identity and tradition.

She was among 33 women whose remains or DNA were found on Mr. Pickton's farm after his arrest in 2001. Mr. Pickton was convicted of killing her along with five others, but prosecutors don't plan on pursuing any further charges.

Until now, the families of the women connected to Mr. Pickton's farm have been unable to lay the women to rest as their remains were kept locked away as evidence.

When Mr. Pickton lost his appeal at the Supreme Court of Canada earlier this summer, effectively ending the criminal proceeding against him, that cleared the way for the B.C. Coroners Service to finally return the remains to the women's families.

Mr. Papin's remains will now be taken to the Enoch Cree Nation in northern Alberta, and she'll be buried alongside her mother.

Her sister, Cynthia Cardinal, said it's been a long time coming.

“I've been waiting for a long time to take her home and put her to rest,” Ms. Cardinal told Tuesday's memorial, standing beside two of her sisters and her niece.

“We've been struggling with trying to do this for a long time. We figured we would heal — we should have healed sooner. We get to do that now.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...tims-remains-finally-returned/article1718959/

Just to answer a few questions asked earlier today regarding my previous post. The Police did call me back regarding the Tip that I left on the Wednesday morning (Sonia was still missing). I got the impression that they were swamped with tips coming in. As for the question regarding whether or not the guy that I saw in the alley next to the Bluebird Cafe (that leads to another large parking lot and in the direction of Sonia's house)... that is what creeped me out the most. I cannot explain it -- everything seemed wrong about the guy... especially where he was. He just made no sense standing part way down the alleyway to the back parking lot. When he saw me look towards him, his eyes never left my face. When we crossed the street and I had asked my friend to look back and take note of this guy ("that he was up to something") - when I looked, his stare was still directly at my face. Needless to say, I was uncomfortable with the eye contact and looked away. I really do think that it was just a huge coincidence... but, I just can't get the way the guy creeped me out - out of my mind. No reason though, there was nothing about the guy that stood out. When I talked to the police officer that called me back regarding the tip, I tried to put emphasis on the fact that this guy creeped me out, long before I heard anything about a missing person. I actually felt silly saying that the only way I could describe how the guy was looking at me -- was "predator". I even feel silly typing it.... but I can't express the feeling any better. Good call from someone earlier that suggested that the guy was possibly breaking into vehicles which would account for the odd canvas knapsack/travel bag. I am hoping that the police checked this guy out and may have had some video from Broadway and he has been eliminated. When we got into our vehicle, we did actually circle the block and then ended up stopping further up the street at the Winchester Arms (where there were more people... but not many). Leaving that restaurant, I was glad it was still daylight, glad I wasn't alone, and glad that our car was right in front. There was nobody else around on the street at that time and even the restaurant where we ate had only a few tables of customers. I assume the police have interviewed the employees regarding the customers they had that night. Our waitress had an accent and there was a table of young couples with their children (3 young boys). Other than that, there was only a few people at the front tables. It was still early in the evening... before 7pm --- so I assume that the police are not focused on that time - but much later. Man, I hope they catch this guy soon... or guys - as I can't seem to get by that both front doors were open on her vehicle... which would have made me think that two people got out, grabbed an item from the trunk and made a run for it.

I wonder if Sonia had a garage door opener. Some thieves break into cars, steal garage door openers, and use car registration info from the glove box to do B&Es. Some people never lock the interior door leading to the garage. Has anyone confirmed yet if Sonia had a door to her home inside the garage?

I can just imagine the rumours running rampant in a small town when something like this happens and LE are not updating anyone with information. Perhaps this is a good tactic though? Sometimes these things are solved based on rumours because people don't want to call in their suspicions to tip lines but rather discuss them with friends and neighbours. I hope that LE is keeping their "ears to the ground" so to speak to hear what is being said.

MOO

I think this was a personal, brutal, heinous attack. Somehow she knew this person. Perhaps someone she said hi to every morning, a person from her workplace a past relationship or a mere acquaintance. I do not think this was a B&E that went wrong nor a random attack. If they knew where she lived, and Sonia hadn't told them, I think at one time they followed her home. moo

I think this was a personal, brutal, heinous attack. Somehow she knew this person. Perhaps someone she said hi to every morning, a person from her workplace a past relationship or a mere acquaintance. I do not think this was a B&E that went wrong nor a random attack. If they knew where she lived, and Sonia hadn't told them, I think at one time they followed her home. moo

I tend to agree with you. I don't think it was a burglary gone wrong, although it is one theory that might fit. We could rule it out if we knew whether or not Sonia was sexually assaulted.

I suspect the killer parked where her car was found and walked to her town house by crossing Broadway and going down Wellington and then onto Amanda Street.

Does anyone in the area know if work is completed on numbers 2 & 4 Spring St? According to the real estate listings, it appears as though they are just building one semi detached home on the corner of Amanda and Spring St instead of the proposed row houses?

http://www.orangevilleproperties.com/44a_read.php?ltl=874249

http://www.orangevilleproperties.com/44a_read.php?ltl=874250

Date of possession is October 2010 so I would imagine there were still workers there in August.

Are these the homes under construction that someone mentioned earlier in the thread?

I wonder if Sonia had a garage door opener. Some thieves break into cars, steal garage door openers, and use car registration info from the glove box to do B&Es. Some people never lock the interior door leading to the garage. Has anyone confirmed yet if Sonia had a door to her home inside the garage?

Here is an old listing for 5 Spring St Unit 20. This is likely the one next door to her, I think her unit is on the right when looking at the front in the first picture. There is nothing in the listing indicating an inside entrance to the garage, and they usually list that as in a lot of cases that is considered an extra feature. There are a few pictures of the unit and the back ravine there too just to give everyone an idea of the layout. I would imagine most of the townhouses are similar in layout.

http://www.century21.ca/summer.gold...gn=addresses&gclid=CNDs2bCcnqQCFZZM5QodmDdRGA

Here is an old listing for 5 Spring St Unit 20. This is likely the one next door to her, I think her unit is on the right when looking at the front in the first picture. There is nothing in the listing indicating an inside entrance to the garage, and they usually list that as in a lot of cases that is considered an extra feature. There are a few pictures of the unit and the back ravine there too just to give everyone an idea of the layout. I would imagine most of the townhouses are similar in layout.

http://www.century21.ca/summer.gold...gn=addresses&gclid=CNDs2bCcnqQCFZZM5QodmDdRGA

Thanks, Kamille.

The little park is there, and so is a picture of a train. Is it unrelated to the property, and what about that little dirt road?

Hi Everyone...
I have been watching your comments for weeks now - hoping to hear of an arrest. I was in downtown Orangeville on the Sunday night that Sonia went missing (between about 5:45 and 7pm). A friend and I stopped for dinner on our way through. I have never seen downtown Orangeville... so quiet. We had parked on Broadway near the White Truffle restaurant and crossed to the other side where the Bluebird Cafe is located. There were no other cars anywhere in the area. The Cafe was closed but I wanted to show my friend the menu. While standing in the doorway, I saw a man in the alleyway leading to the parking lot behind the cafe and other downtown businesses. Warning bells went off instantly (and I don't scare easily). He had a knapsack type of travel bag and I thought perhaps he was waiting for someone... but everything just seemed to be wrong. The canvas travel bag seemed almost empty and not what you would expect someone travelling to be carrying. It wasn't dark yet and I wasn't alone... but I couldn't get away from there fast enough. The man made me nervous enough that as we crossed the road, I whispered to my friend about the man and that I felt that he was up to something. I asked her to turn around and get a look at him when we got to the other side. She looked casually but didn't get the creeps like I did. We walked past our car and looked in the White Truffle restaurant that was open. There wasn't any customers inside and I wasn't comfortable hanging around there. When we headed back to our car, the man crossed the road and was headed up the street our way. There was nothing odd about this guy... and yet everything seemed wrong. I couldn't get into the car fast enough. I didn't hear about Sonia missing until late Tuesday night and did contact the Tip line first thing on Wednesday morning. Coincidence... almost definitely -- and if it would have been in any other location (even somewhere else in Orangeville) --- I would have thought nothing of it.

I am sure that the Police are swamped with tips just like this one and I feel for everyone in Orangeville that must be looking over their shoulder. I pray that LE have a solid lead and are keeping an eye on the suspect(s).

Thank you for telling us your experience, Hopefully the LE will find the information useful and something will come from it, Wouldnt that be wonderful news to know that you might have spotted the murderer? Someone had to see something and might not even know it, like your experience.

We still have no details on the state of the body ie how it was left.

Why did the perp/perps take the time to move her body away? Why not finish and leave? Someone was injured and there was a lot of blood ( on steps, car, possibly bedsheets). SO why hide her body elsewhere, take all of that time to do it and possibly get caught? Why waste all of that energy? Did the scream and yelling cause the neighbours porch lights to go on? ( No one mentioned looking out their window in my readings) Perp/perps panicked and tried to "hide " her body then? If this was random why not just leave after the crime if it was a B&E gone wrong??

Has this been discussed before?

I think she was alive when she was placed in the car, and that was what the yelling/screams was from with her probably seriously hurt from all the blood. As for the bedding, its possible it was put on her as he ushered her out of the house. I sure hope we get more details soon and this perp is brought to justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon