CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wonder why he would bring so much attention to the car by leaving doors and trunk wide open. Is he trying to mislead that he lives in the area or did he in fact switch vehicles at some point?!

Have they had a funeral yet? If not why has the body not been released to the family?

There has not been a funeral yet. Last I heard, which was a few days ago, the body had not been returned to the family. That might have changed since then, but I haven't read anything about it so am assuming the coroner has not released her yet.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100908/varaschin-details-100908/

We don't know Sonia, or what type of fellows she dated. (Not everyone has a 'type', but usually we gravitate toward certain people.) Did she tend to date guys or hang out with guy friends who wore work boots? When you go to this site above, click on the CTV report by John Musselman. He briefly interviews Sonia's ex-boyfriend who dated her 12 years ago.
He is clearly a baseball cap, truck-driving, work boot type of fellow. I'm not suggesting here that he had anything to do with her murder, rather I'm thinking that if this fellow is somewhat typical of her male friends, it might be even more likely that it was someone she knew. (As opposed to if she had only ever dated or hung out with guys who never wore such boots even when away from work/office)

From the same video LE is searching a waste transfer site for evidence.

There is a waste management facility right next door to Sonia's complex. It is the building that is east of where she lived, right across the ravine. I forgot to mention the other day that a friend of mine told me that apparently there was work being done over there over the summer. Didn't know if I should mention it because I don't know for sure, but her friend who lives there said that there was a lot of construction going on. Perhaps someone working over there encountered Sonia over that time period?

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100908/varaschin-details-100908/

We don't know Sonia, or what type of fellows she dated. (Not everyone has a 'type', but usually we gravitate toward certain people.) Did she tend to date guys or hang out with guy friends who wore work boots? When you go to this site above, click on the CTV report by John Musselman. He briefly interviews Sonia's ex-boyfriend who dated her 12 years ago.
He is clearly a baseball cap, truck-driving, work boot type of fellow. I'm not suggesting here that he had anything to do with her murder, rather I'm thinking that if this fellow is somewhat typical of her male friends, it might be even more likely that it was someone she knew. (As opposed to if she had only ever dated or hung out with guys who never wore such boots even when away from work/office)

I'm wondering why there has been nothing on the new boyfriend of 18 months. :waitasec:

There is a waste management facility right next door to Sonia's complex. It is the building that is east of where she lived, right across the ravine. I forgot to mention the other day that a friend of mine told me that apparently there was work being done over there over the summer. Didn't know if I should mention it because I don't know for sure, but her friend who lives there said that there was a lot of construction going on. Perhaps someone working over there encountered Sonia over that time period?

I noticed that on the google maps and one thing that stuck out for me was the U haul building right behind the complex at the other side of the ravine. Looking at the maps, it looked like it would be relatively easy to walk through that ravine to the end of the street where her townhouse is. Didn't appear to be any fencing around that building.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures and locations of where her car was found. One thing that stuck out to me was that the perpetrator most likely got to that location from the other end of the laneway or they would have been caught on that camera for sure.

MOO

I noticed on the Face book page set up for Sonia, that someone mentioned she had been participating in on-line dating, but had closed her profile last January. Hmmmmm..
The perp might be someone she met online?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the police would withold cause of death from the public?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the police would withold cause of death from the public?

They will often withhold this information for purposes of interrogation leverage. Withholding the actual cause of death allows police interrogators to weed out false confessors to a crime, or those bearing false witness against another.

For example, they might have a witness come forward stating that they heard from a potential suspect that the person had died of a gunshot wound, when in fact the person died from stab wounds.

Hello everyone, I am new here and am a resident of Orangeville, Ontario.

Unless her door was unlocked, this person had a key or the combination, suggesting strongly she knew him. I would also think that if it was a 3 a.m. attack, the scream was Sonia being startled awake in her bed. Presumably the killer had to know the layout of the home to creep around in it in the dark to gain surprise, as well as knowing she would have been alone.

Who really knows though, given the limited information. One thing I am sure of though, is that the killer has balls the size of church bells to drive around in a bloody car that isn't his, in one of the most heavily police patrolled areas in Ontario. That does not sound like a crime of passion in which the killer is panicked and distraught, and then bolts. This guy does not bolt. This one was careless, yet organized to some degree.

Hello everyone, I am new here and am a resident of Orangeville, Ontario.

Unless her door was unlocked, this person had a key or the combination, suggesting strongly she knew him. I would also think that if it was a 3 a.m. attack, the scream was Sonia being startled awake in her bed. Presumably the killer had to know the layout of the home to creep around in it in the dark to gain surprise, as well as knowing she would have been alone.

Who really knows though, given the limited information. One thing I am sure of though, is that the killer has balls the size of church bells to drive around in a bloody car that isn't his, in one of the most heavily police patrolled areas in Ontario. That does not sound like a crime of passion in which the killer is panicked and distraught, and then bolts. This guy does not bolt. This one was careless, yet organized to some degree.

Welcome to WS!

I think it's been somewhat implied by LE that her door was unlocked and there's been speculation that her sliding patio door was left open.

I think it was someone who didn't really know her but she had encountered in the neighbourhood. I do wonder if she had any work done in the house recently or what work crews were in the area in the preceding weeks. Something else I think about - many men wear workboots on site but after work change into runners etc. So does the public need to look at:

1. who they know that wears their workboots all the time (even at 3 a.m.)?

2. who they know that was working late that week/night and/or was known to frequent bars after work?

3. who they know that was at a bar with them after work, left at 2:30ish (in workboots) and called off the next day?

Those are just some thoughts rambling around in my brain.

I think it's possible he intended to rape her, ended up killing her and drove off in a panic. I was thinking it's possible that he was trying to clean the car out and thus had the doors & trunk open when someone came along and scared him off (eg. Toronto Star driver).

I am reminded of the horrific case(several years ago) of a female film director who was murdered because she complained about the noise to a young construction worker.

. Yesterday, the police charged a 19-year-old construction worker with murder, saying her death was the horrific result of a chain of events set off by a complaint common to New York City residents: construction noise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/nyregion/07actress.html?_r=1&ref=adrienne_shelly
The police said that after Ms. Shelly argued with the worker about the noise on Wednesday, he struck her in the face.

Then, suspecting that the blow was fatal, he hanged her from the shower curtain rod in an attempt to make her death look like a suicide.

Welcome to WS!

I think it's been somewhat implied by LE that her door was unlocked and there's been speculation that her sliding patio door was left open.

I understood the police to counter a reporter's question with 'that assumes the door was locked'. I also understood it to be Sonia's mother that speculated about the patio door. None of this of course, really proves anything. I think it is more likely the door was locked. I don't think it was an aimless wandered that happened upon Sonia. I cannot get past the fact the killer would have to know she was alone, and know the layout of the house to achieve a 3 a.m. ambush surprise.

I have a thought to add. Just a thought.

I happen to live with a "construction worker" so to speak. He's actually a specialized one, an operating engineer. Specifically, tower cranes. We live a few hours from the "big cities" like Toronto and Ottawa, because we felt that the big city experience was something that we did not want for our family. So, this means he commutes. Most job sites start work between 6 and 7 am. Which means that if he leaves from home to get to the job site he leaves around 4 am, sometimes earlier, depending on where he has to go. Some of the engineers live quite a distance from the job sites, therefore, they either commute, leaving very early in the morning, or, they are given "allowance" so to speak that allows them to either rent an apartment (sometimes LONG TERM, depending on whether they stay with the same company for extended jobs) or pay for lodging at a hotel or rooming house.
Since my husband works the towers, if he replaced his boots more than once in 5 years I would be surprised. Assuming that the boots were the ones this person wore regularly, I wonder how much wear was on the tread? And is this person truly "local" or is it someone that hangs out in the area when he has a job there.
Now, after getting that part out, let's take a moment to look at a job site. There are general labourers, operating engineers (heavy equipment operators), carpenters, electricians, concrete pump operators, plumbers, concrete truck drivers, transport truck drivers, flagmen, food vendors, business agents, foremen....ANYBODY THAT SETS FOOT ON THE CONSTRUCTION SITE, including architects, inspectors (city and provincial)....are required to wear safety boots. And that brings me to my next thought. Every factory worker in Ontario. Truck drivers. Plumbers. Electricians. Farmers. Custodians. WASTE REMOVAL employees (now that would be a great way to get rid of incriminating evidence wouldn't it?) Some Hospital Workers. Heating and Air conditioning technicians. Window washers. Industrial bakers. The list is endless. And were these boots actually his, or were they purchased and/or used just for this crime? Every time I read an article it focuses on "construction" boots, and keeps turning my mind back to looking for just that- A CONSTRUCTION worker. If my mind goes that way then who does the general public think they are looking for? I truly hope that most minds are broader than mine, because if not, I fear he may be flying below the radar.

Just some thoughts. Does anyone else feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee