CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To my way of thinking this was done by an older man - not a 16 yr old. These juveniles would have stolen from her and if they murdered her, would have left her there.

I say age range - 35 to 50. Remember, Sonia was 42 year of age. Middle aged!!

DW

I certainly respect your opinion, but do you know how many males aged 10 - 15 commit murder? More than anyone wants to know about. :what:

That said, I might be a tad biased because I work with some of these young people and they have done horrendous things......to females of all ages.

Why do you feel that SV was killed by a middle-aged man? Just because of HER age? Perhaps, I suppose. I just cannot see someone 'older' being so sloppy and leaving such a bloodied scene. To me, that kind of recklessness would fit more with someone younger.

:moo:

Wondering if any of SV's young former patients developed an addiction and either mistakenly thought she was responsible for it, or hoping some could be found in her home?

http://www.oxycontinoxycodoneaddiction.com/oxycontin-responsible-for-violence-coast-to-coast.html
"Not only can Oxycontin lead people to perform violent acts that they never would have otherwise, people under the influence of the drug can find themselves in situations that are simply unimaginable to the rest of us. A case in Hagerstown, Maryland, illustrates just how far drug addiction can make you go. A man was arrested after a home invasion where he held a loaded gun to the head of a three year old girl. It was shown later that the man had been abusing Oxycontin daily for over a month leading up to the incident. He received 20 years in jail for his crime. According to the police report, the man and an accomplice broke into the home for the sole purpose of stealing cash and prescription medications"

The thing that gets me, is that the killer removed her from her home.
A young druggie would not go to those lengths??
Someone who either lived in that area, would have a reason to dispose of her from her home, I would think. Whoever removed her from the home, and took the risk, had a very good and valid reason to do so. JMO

It was very important to him that she be removed from her home, as reasonably as possible, and placed outside Orangeville - (Orangeville cops area) Little did he realize that Orangeville police would be involved because the murder happened in their jurisdication, and little did he understand that Caledon is in OPP territory. So both police forces are involved.

I don't think he cared much, other than to remove her to an area, whereby it would give him time.

I think even a young person, druggie or not, would realize that if his DNA is on his victim, he will be identifiable. That's why I think Sonia was taken and hidden away in the swampy area nearby. Because she was found fairly early on, I have to think that his DNA was on her body or on the blanket found with her. JMO

According to the latest detectives announcements, his dna was found in the home. And the bootprint was found within the home.
Don't know what to make of that, other than for once they are stepping forward and giving more information out. In addition, they also said that they have broken down the "suspects" into sub groups, regarding their own collection of dna (700 and counting).

Not all are from dating sites. Her work, her charity work, nieghbours, friends, her biking buddies, her skiing buddies, her camping buddies, they would also be included.
They said it is in concentric circles . Beginning inward in her life, and working outward. They are convinced that they knew each other. This was not a random killing by some young punk. I guess the crime scene itself would have said alot and pointed to someone who knew her etc.
But, who knows??
There have often been surprises when the perp was found in a murder!!

The thing that gets me, is that the killer removed her from her home.
A young druggie would not go to those lengths??
Someone who either lived in that area, would have a reason to dispose of her from her home, I would think. Whoever removed her from the home, and took the risk, had a very good and valid reason to do so. JMO

It was very important to him that she be removed from her home, as reasonably as possible, and placed outside Orangeville - (Orangeville cops area) Little did he realize that Orangeville police would be involved because the murder happened in their jurisdication, and little did he understand that Caledon is in OPP territory. So both police forces are involved.

I don't think he cared much, other than to remove her to an area, whereby it would give him time.

Did the perp attempt to hide SV's body or was she just dumped at the roadside. If she was hidden, according to the female criminal profiler from the USA, Dale H., when a perp takes a body from the crime scene, it is because the perp fears their DNA is on the body, so they have to get rid of it.

Moo

I certainly respect your opinion, but do you know how many males aged 10 - 15 commit murder? More than anyone wants to know about. :what:

That said, I might be a tad biased because I work with some of these young people and they have done horrendous things......to females of all ages.

Why do you feel that SV was killed by a middle-aged man? Just because of HER age? Perhaps, I suppose. I just cannot see someone 'older' being so sloppy and leaving such a bloodied scene. To me, that kind of recklessness would fit more with someone younger.

Or someone in a blood thirsty rage.

I think some of you are misunderstanding what I mean when I say it's possible that this killing was done by a younger male. I'm NOT thinking of a young drug addict or a young gang member. Rather, I'm thinking of someone who simply kills for the sake of killing. I know that sounds terrible, but it happens and it's horrible.

Of course, I could be very wrong and biased.

The notion of someone breaking into SV's house (I know, there was no 'breaking in' evident. I mean, gaining access to her home.) for the purpose of obtaining drugs is possible. But, I wouldn't think a drug addict would do such a bloody, messy, sloppy killing. He'd be more likely to kill her cleanly and make off with his drugs.

Do we know if SV had any condition (migraines, arthritis, etc.) which would require heavy duty painkillers? Just thinking out loud here.......

I read somewhere that another way perps gain entry without force is to pose as food delivery people. They actually buy a pizza or whatever and when they are told they have the wrong address, they ask to use the phone to gain entry. When I hear the doorbell, if it isn't a neighbour I am well acquainted with or someone I know, I don't answer no matter what the time of day. I have a perfect window for viewing before answering.

I read somewhere that another way perps gain entry without force is to pose as food delivery people. They actually buy a pizza or whatever and when they are told they have the wrong address, they ask to use the phone to gain entry. When I hear the doorbell, if it isn't a neighbour I am well acquainted with or someone I know, I don't answer no matter what the time of day. I have a perfect window for viewing before answering.
The point is, that today, two years later, there has never been another killing like it. So Sonia, to my mind, and as the police say, this is a stand alone killing. I will listen to the police first and foremost on that one.

After all, we have not seen the crime scene, we do not know who the suspects are. In that these suspects, their age, their race, their employment, nothing!!

But, it was alluded to by a crime inspector that they will not speak to the press about a person or persons of interest.

That sets it above the stage of "suspects". to my mind
There is a big difference between being a suspect and a person of interest.

If you are one of the latter, "a person of interest" than beware!!

Yes, dreamwatcher is right - as far as we know there has not been another killing like this one. So, now you have me thinking - was AG as bloodied as SV was? Did AG's killer leave her in her garage because he was scared off? Why was SV moved after the killing? Was it because SV lived in a fairly crowded neighbourhood while AG was more alone?

For some reason, I think the two are related. Can't explain why!

Never post on here, just lurk but wanted to let everyone know that they are still actively working on the case. My ex had a visit from 2 police officers the other night. He apparently had the same size boots that the killer had, and the officers came by to ask him some questions and then took a DNA sample. At least it's good to know that they are still persuing leads (even if it is my ex-husband!)

Never post on here, just lurk but wanted to let everyone know that they are still actively working on the case. My ex had a visit from 2 police officers the other night. He apparently had the same size boots that the killer had, and the officers came by to ask him some questions and then took a DNA sample. At least it's good to know that they are still persuing leads (even if it is my ex-husband!)

Thanks for the update missbrooks. I keep hoping something will break in this case.

Seems to me that the police are extending this investigation out further, and further.
At some point, it will have to stop.

Missbrooks did not say what type of boots. According to the police involved in the investigation of the Murder of Sonia, Mark Work Warehouse was the brand, size 10 to 11. They (LE) have checked more than
2000 past invoices at MWW. Perhaps Missbrooks, ex wore MWW boots? - or was it just the size?

Missbrooks was not clear about the brand.

I appreciate the fact that Missbrooks came onto this site and gave us this information, and am hoping that she is not anxious for her ex.
That in knowing him, and living with him,at one point in time, there would be no reason to be concerned for her ex's well being in this matter of the murder of Sonia.

Sorry Dreamwatcher, I just assumed that everyone knew what type of boots the police are looking at. He did have the Marks Work Warehouse boots, can't remember the actual name of the boot. His boots were size 9 1/2 which was surprising, because I thought the police had said the boots were size 10 or 11. He had bought them in 2009, although he didn't even remember buying them.

I definitely am not worried about his involvement in Sonia's murder. The first thing I and most of my family said was NO WAY!! I am just glad they are looking into everyone. Hopefully they will get the *advertiser censored* and give her family some sort of justice.

I add my welcome to the others, MissBrooks.

The net that LE is casting indeed seems very wide, as we have said before. Your ex had same brand but not same size of boots...........

do you mind my asking, just to get a general sense of how LE may be trying to narrow the search, if your ex lives in O-ville and/or lived there when Sonia was murdered? It's not really your ex I'm interested in but the process LE is undertaking. Did LE ask any questions, IF you are willing to share these, that might have seemed unusual? Did they give him any sense of why he was being questioned, beyond having MWW boots from 2009? Please -- again: I'm not asking because I suspect any involvement but rather I'm trying to figure what it is that places someone on the radar. If it is simply a boot brand, that seems like a needle in a haystack....

Again, I understand if there are things you feel you canNOT share. But: I think we all want some reassurance that LE has more info than it is revealing -- yet it often seems like they are stretching very far. I'm so glad they are; it means continued effort. It's just depressing to think there isn't MORE to go on.

Thanks for the welcome 2soccermom :)

I talked to my ex's wife the other night and asked her what questions the police asked that night. She said there weren't many questions. From what I can remember, this is what they asked:

- did he remember where he was the night of the murder, and if he had an alibi. (His wife did actually remember where he had been, because he had just started a new job that week working with her, so it stood out to her)

- if he had heard a lot about the murder or if he had kept up on the details (he didn't know much about the case other than the basic details)

They then took a DNA swab from his cheek and said that it would be destroyed and not kept to look into any other cases pending.

We do all live in Orangeville and did at the time of the murder. We live on the other side of town, which is still fairly close, the town is pretty small. We all probably go over to that side of town regularly as it is close to the main street and shopping, etc.

To me, it seems like the police don't have a clue as to the identity of the murderer. I hope I am wrong, but it just seems like they are eliminating as many people as possible but don't have a solid suspect.

I agree with you, MissBrooks: this seems a bit depressing. On the one hand, I continue to be grateful that LE is working so diligently; on the other, it is heartbreaking that there doesn't seem to be more to go on. I don't think it's LE's fault; rather, this reaffirms my own sense of the perp as someone who is in more control than we realize: HOW can he hide from justice this long?

But I do believe Sonia's case WILL be solved, and her murderer brought to justice. I'm not certain how or when that will happen. But I imagine it will likely involve one person who is tired of saying to her or himself that something is off ... that just maybe ....

I hope the tips are still coming in.

Thank you, again MissBrooks, for generously sharing your insider info. We're so eager for any kind of news.

Thanks for the info. and welcome to the thread MissBrooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966