CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoted again from sillybilly:

<<< People have workplace issues all the time without the need for legal intervention or representation. Was there in fact a medmal lawsuit looming against the doctor's and hospital? Is it possible that Sonia was being made a scapegoat for an error made by someone else? A dead person can't defend themselves against claims made by others. >>>

Respectfully......that seems quite far-fetched. We KNOW SV altered the doctors' chart instructions. That in itself is a NO-NO! A scapegoat......I suppose it's POSSIBLE but (most likely) there'd be a person to speak out. Was that person Sonia? Possible.

In my experience, doctors are GOD (in their own minds and often in the minds of the public) :what: and they CAN get away with murder. That's why we sign on the dotted line when going in for a procedure! But then again......some do get caught and punished. Think, Michael Jackson's continuous drips of Propofol (as a VERY extreme example.)

I recall a time when I was suffering extreme migraines and my doctor gave me very powerful painkillers. So, I went back and asked for more! His answer was this: 'I don't want to prescribe too many because I could become like the guy who killed Elvis!' :biggrin:

On the whole, I think doctors (regular GP's) are quite cautious with doling out meds. (JMO)

As I understand it she went from being a nurse to working for a pharm. company also there are at least two hospitals in play Sick Kids and her last nursing job.
I was also thinking that the error at the hospital (and it is true we have no idea if she was to blame or not) could be a clue to some other conflict. Personal, job related, romantic really could be anything we don't know. She could have been harrassed though I am not saying she was.

I have a question: what is it that makes LE so certain that the suspect is from Orangeville? The country road? Where they left their car? I would think that the more likely thing is that they are NOT from Orangeville.

I am wondering too if the FBI profilers are updating their thinking for a world where anyone can look at Google Streetview, use GPS etc. And as someone pointed out the profiling can be very Eurocentric (for want of a better word) assuming the suspect already drinks alcohol, takes drugs etc.

Anyway maybe they are on the right track and a DNA test away from cracking the case hopefully so. But it is worth exploring other possibilities.

To refresh our memories:

http://www.orangeville.com/news/loc...a-murder-investigation-set-to-enter-new-phase

While employed as a nurse there, Sonia had a confrontation with a supervisor over Sonia’s decision to change a dosage that was prescribed for a patient, her mother says.

The supervisor, Michele says, challenged why Sonia had changed the doctor’s orders without authorization and created tension in the workplace.

Sonia quit the hospital and had been working happily for a month or so in Mississauga at the time of her murder, her mother says.

In addition, there was an alleged conflict between the hospital and the Workers’ Safety and Insurance Board over disability pay Sonia was due after taking time off to heal a shoulder injury suffered on the job, Michele says

OK, thanks! :tyou: But......just to play 'devils advocate' here for a minute......there's a teachers' union and doctors are members of the CMA. IF a teacher or doctor REALLY pulls a No-No, then action must be taken against them. Same with the police......if a police officer shoots his gun, the SIU is called in immediately.

That having been said, I wonder IF the nurses union was trying to place some 'punishment' on SV for changing the doctors orders. OR.....at least writing a notation in her file.

:moo:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above Stone. The OMA, CMA and CMPA (their bottomless litigation money-pit) are professional associations akin to a union ... all of which exist to represent and PROTECT the interests of their fee-paying members to the hilt, not to initiate actions against them.

... We KNOW SV altered the doctors' chart instructions
<rsbm>

Do we KNOW that, or do we simply know that she was accused of that?

BTW, does anyone have any idea why/how Sonia is accused of creating tension in the workplace, even if she did alter a doctor's order?

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above Stone. The OMA, CMA and CMPA (their bottomless litigation money-pit) are professional associations akin to a union ... all of which exist to represent and PROTECT the interests of their fee-paying members to the hilt, not to initiate actions against them.

Oh, I agree. They are all union-like, protecting the members. They take fees from the members and only step in when *something very bad happens*...... a child is molested in school, an anesthesiologist does a crossword puzzle during surgery or a nurse steals a newborn baby!

We are of the same mind here. Perhaps I worded it incorrectly the first time!! :blushing:

<rsbm>

Do we KNOW that, or do we simply know that she was accused of that?

BTW, does anyone have any idea why/how Sonia is accused of creating tension in the workplace, even if she did alter a doctor's order?

I think we only have the mother's word about that. Not certain if LE said so!

Maybe the tension came from her Disability claim???????????????

I think we only have the mother's word about that. Not certain if LE said so!

Maybe the tension came from her Disability claim???????????????

Yes, the "tension" reference sure is curious. IF Sonia did go against a doctor's orders, I can see some psst psst and gossip going on, but how does that cause tension with others (unless she was blaming it on someone else)? Also wrt the disability claim ... whether the hospital or WCB(?) were in dispute about who was responsible for paying, I fail to see how that causes tension in the workplace.

The supervisor, Michele says, challenged why Sonia had changed the doctor&#8217;s orders without authorization and created tension in the workplace.

Re-reading that, am wondering if it was meant that it was the supervisor who created the tension?

Re-reading that, am wondering if it was meant that it was the supervisor who created the tension?

That's how I read it -- that Sonia's mom was indicating the supervisor's accusation was creating tension/stress for Sonia (and possibly others?) at work.

....I have a question: what is it that makes LE so certain that the suspect is from Orangeville? The country road? Where they left their car? I would think that the more likely thing is that they are NOT from Orangeville.

Is that what LE has been intimating? Or is that mostly media interpretation? All I recall in LE's press reports and the FBI profile is the assumption that the killer is familiar with Orangeville ... for work, recreation, or illegal activity. None of those possibilities requires residency. It's possible I may have missed something.

I assume LE suspects familiarity with Sonia and her home, in particular. That's not a certainty, but seems probable given the crime scene details.

Is that what LE has been intimating? Or is that mostly media interpretation? All I recall in LE's press reports and the FBI profile is the assumption that the killer is familiar with Orangeville ... for work, recreation, or illegal activity. None of those possibilities requires residency. It's possible I may have missed something.

I assume LE suspects familiarity with Sonia and her home, in particular. That's not a certainty, but seems probable given the crime scene details.

Yes thanks I should have worded that more carefully didn't mean to imply residency exactly. I guess I am challenging the idea that they would need to know more than her address.

Includes video and odd comment following article.

Sept. 3 2012
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/03/varaschin-murder-unsolved-two-years-later
"Speaking reluctantly at a first, a new neighbour, who moved in next door, said she’s scared for her safety, but owns a large dog and stays alert.

Roger Kindree, a retired teacher who lives in the area, is still tortured by the fact that he rode by Varaschin’s body while it was hidden in bushes twice in September 2010.

“Everytime I ride by there, I think about it. Maybe if I had been more vigilant and noticed the body, they could have found evidence sooner,” he said, shaking his head"

Snip.

“This is a very complex investigation; we apply investigative strategies and processes as to how we move forward, which takes time,” said Karski, who refused to reveal why the case is particularly complicated.

In the meantime, Orangeville residents live with the knowledge the killer may be walking among them.

“Until we get someone put away for this the innocence of Orangeville will be tarnished,” Bryant said"

Someone had suggested earlier that maybe dna testing should be given to (some) persons under the age of 18. Wondering if any potential suspects could/would be given one when they do reach that age.

Indeed, in my experience with young offenders I think that the DNA testing should have included males from age 14 - 65. The entire gamut.

To my way of thinking this was done by an older man - not a 16 yr old. These juveniles would have stolen from her and if they murdered her, would have left her there.

I say age range - 35 to 50. Remember, Sonia was 42 year of age. Middle aged!!

DW

DW interesting I have a query do you think there is any chance it is a woman?

Good point about theft.

Anyway know anything about her use of libraries? I know she used Lynden I know about the book on the CIA case. But anything else?

Very sorry is possible delete previous two posts of mine here wrong thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double