Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fingerprints can be lifted, even if a body has gone through considerable decomposition, it's a little more challenging though.

I am sure I have read a Spanish-language report which said that Jay was identified using DNA. I will see if I can find it again (and provide a link).

I'm sure I saw a suggestion yesterday that they might have kept the discovery secret but I can't find the post now, the reporters on the scene are all saying it happened yesterday so I'm not sure that there's any kind of cover up.

I find it strange that the same thing was said about MM, I don't think rescue services leave bodies out in the wild unattended overnight do they? IMO we don't have to doubt every facet of everything, overwhelmingly in life things are exactly as they seem, it's not one big conspiracy

JMO

I read elsewhere that his friends were putting out RIP messages the night before which is giving the conspiracists yet another reason to get excited.
I'm only rationalising it by suggesting that if that's the case, the helicopter team may not have had time to assemble and complete a difficult recvovery before dark.

Been struggling to understand why he took that route despite the way it looked. Then suddenly few minutes ago it came to me that he must have a gps on and followed it. As we all know it can sometimes show u a walk short cut from normal road which takes 1hr to a 20min walk (i was once led to a ditch in Hampstead - London).Also it can explain why his phone power was drained and once lost and not having local landmark to follow some gps can led u astray instead of helping.

I am sure I have read a Spanish-language report which said that Jay was identified using DNA. I will see if I can find it again (and provide a link).
They won’t get the DNA results for several days, I think they just decided to attempt fingerprints knowing they had 10 chances and it worked. The DNA will still be done I’m sure.

I read elsewhere that his friends were putting out RIP messages the night before which is giving the conspiracists yet another reason to get excited.
I'm only rationalising it by suggesting that if that's the case, the helicopter team may not have had time to assemble and complete a difficult recvovery before dark.
Not specifically aimed at you Guiser, but it really doesn’t matter whether he was found the day before and it was kept quiet and only family were informed. The rescue of his body was complex and may have taken planning and time, so there may well have been a delay. There have been no official announcements in this case, the press has broken the story- so maybe it was known that they had suspicions, but couldn’t properly access the area and gave the family a heads up. It was only the following morning they had the right equipment to properly go down and informally identify it was a human, not an animal and recover him.

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The whole team must have been organised to recover the body.

It cannot be done higgledy-piggledy.

The safety of rescuers is of the utmost importance.

These people risk their lives.

JMO

the terrain just looks so awful. Mountains are so deceiving. What looks like a flat surface can suddenly have a plunging crevice which isn’t noticeable until sometimes it is too late. It’s a cause of misadventure for many experienced mountain climbers every year. It feels so horrible to say but I just hope it was instant and the poor soul never experienced any pain. This case has touched my greatly. I don’t know Jay or his family but I just feel so upset even looking at a photo of his poor mum, just thinking what this poor woman must be going through and all the horrible stuff she has had to endure on top of that for the last 4 weeks. I hope this family know the outpouring and love for jay and their family & his poor friends greatly out does the most vile of human society we have had to witness in the past 4 weeks . I hope they can get their beautiful boy home soon and laid to rest.

Yeah I never understood that. It wasn't desert like conditions. I'm a fit 46 year old and I'm fairly sure i could've made the 11 hour walk without water. Obviously it'd be torturous but a fit young man like Jay would've managed it. RIP young man. Irrespective of his past it's a heartbreaking end to a person who'll never get a chance to raise his own kids. I hope all the speculation is killed off now and MWT never darkens our doorstep again.
Surely it's because people think they 'could've made the walk without water' that these tragedies keep happening.

The almost inaccessible spot where he died is only a few hundred yards from areas which were repeatedly searched for almost a month by police, volunteers and members of his family after his disappearance on June 17.
Jay Slater was found dead at around 10am on Monday July 15 after almost a month of searching by Spanish authorities

Jay Slater was found dead at around 10am on Monday July 15 after almost a month of searching by Spanish authorities
87410657-13640429-image-a-17_1721150712562.jpg

The Civil Guard in Tenerife confirmed today the missing man’s body found in a ravine near the village of Masca was his and said everything was pointing to him dying in an accidental fall. They also said his injuries had included broken bones in a statement released shortly after court officials also revealed Jay’s identity had been confirmed through fingerprints after initially claiming full identification wouldn’t happen till “next week” because the body was “very deteriorated.”

The question of whether police now have a watch the 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer reportedly confessed to stealing from a reveller during an altercation outside Papagayo Beach Club near his holiday accommodation, remained unanswered last night.

Mr Searle said the charity, which helps families in missing persons cases overseas, would be supporting the family "to make this horrific time as easy as possible".

He added: "We are working with the family now to sort out the next steps of taking Jay home, recovery of his belongings and laying him to rest."

An earlier court statement today said that documentation found with the body belonged to the apprentice bricklayer.

"It is confirmed that the documentation that was on the body found yesterday in the mountains of Masca belongs to Jay Slater," it said.
It went on to add that "everything suggests that it was an accidental fall" but the results of the official investigation into the death would take more time.

Mr Slater's body was discovered by members of a mountain rescue team from the Spanish Civil Guard, near the village of Masca, on Monday.

"The result of the preliminary autopsy indicates that the cause of death is due to a fall or precipitation," police say.

So if precipitation means fall, the above statement means he either fell or he fell.
I'm wondering why it's been phrased an an either/or statement, ie, that Jay either fell or it was 'precipitaion'.
And, since Chambers dictionary defines 'precipate' as "to throw or fall from or as from a height", the preliminary autopsy is either one of a fall or a throw from a great height.

At the risk of being accused of being a conspiraloon, I am not sure I'd interpret the preliminary autopsy statement from the police as meaning Jay's death was likely due to a 'fall' and nothing but a 'fall'.
I think the difference is a fall which included obstructions and tumbling on the way down (causing injuries/death)? and a very fast straight fall which caused death at the bottom - as a fall from a precipice, which is an overhanging or vertical and very dangerous type of cliff.

The almost inaccessible spot where he died is only a few hundred yards from areas which were repeatedly searched for almost a month by police, volunteers and members of his family after his disappearance on June 17.

The Civil Guard in Tenerife confirmed today the missing man’s body found in a ravine near the village of Masca was his and said everything was pointing to him dying in an accidental fall. They also said his injuries had included broken bones in a statement released shortly after court officials also revealed Jay’s identity had been confirmed through fingerprints after initially claiming full identification wouldn’t happen till “next week” because the body was “very deteriorated.”

The question of whether police now have a watch the 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer reportedly confessed to stealing from a reveller during an altercation outside Papagayo Beach Club near his holiday accommodation, remained unanswered last night.
That clears up the timing of when he was found. If Tenerife has anything like our air ambulance service it wouldn't take any time to mobilise the helicopter and winch up the body and searchers

JMO

How absolutely heartbreaking - it looks as if he was some way down toward the coast but there are well-established, safe hiking paths which go from that lookout down to the Masca Playa, if he'd only known, or even if the shop had been open or there had been a hiking group up there to lead the way.

Attachments

• 1721156176214.png
    1721156176214.png
    901.1 KB · Views: 34

That actually looks like a path before the barranco juan Lopez track - marked here 28°18'46.2"N 16°50'47.1"W

I wonder if that’s an error by the paper or he did actually go down that path and into the mountains (perhaps they have unreleased cctv from the cafe showing him going up that path instead). It wouldn’t tie in with the last exact ping though where the sleuthers were searching.

Why oh why didn’t he just wait at the cafe/viewpoint by that path until the next bus came along.

With the autopsy now in, and confirmation of injuries consistent with a fall, Brad and Lucy’s testimony: off road and lost, can we put this one to bed as death by misdadventure - please. ❤️❤️❤️ RIP Jay.

and maybe people can stop harassing and slandering his friends and family
RIP dear Jay - your mama has an angel now

A Dutch search team, hired by Jay Slater's family, continued their search of the valley on Tuesday even though his body had already been recovered the day before.
The valley where Mr Slater's body was found

Search coordinator Esther van Neerbos told Sky News: "It's emotional - you want to do your best for the family."

"We need to do a complete job for them," she added as her dog, three-year-old Flex, continued his work searching the undergrowth.

The team from the Signi Zoekhonden charity said they are determined to make sure nothing is left in the valley that could help explain Jay's death.

They have also made a short film for Jay's mother so that the family has a record of the location

My wife does languages. She suggested the word precipitation in Spanish would be a quicker or reckless fall - not being thrown!

(Disclaimer; there are other linguists!)

Maybe the Spanish language doesn't include the same meanings for the word 'Precipitate' as does the English language.

British English: Precipitate

verb (prɪˈsɪpɪˌteɪt IPA Pronunciation Guide )
1. (transitive)
to cause to happen too soon or sooner than expected; bring on

to throw or fall from or as from a height

to cause (moisture) to condense and fall as snow, rain, etc, or (of moisture, rain, etc) to condense and fall thus

4. chemistry
to undergo or cause to undergo a process in which a dissolved substance separates from solution as a fine suspension of solid particles

adjective (prɪˈsɪpɪtɪt IPA Pronunciation Guide )
rushing ahead

done rashly or with undue haste

sudden and brief

noun (prɪˈsɪpɪtɪt IPA Pronunciation Guide )
8. chemistry
a precipitated solid in its suspended form or after settling or filtering

Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Or
Here, it's explained that as a transitive verb, precipitate means

to throw violently or to throw down.

As an intransitive verb, it means to fall headlong.

But 'fall or precipitation' are the either/or words used in the preliminary autopsy referred to by the Spanish police.

Precipitation is a noun, meaning being in a precipitate state (like hastiness), or the process of forming a precipitate, or something precipitated like rain, snow etc.

So it's not clear whether the either/or is 'Fall or Haste' or 'Fall or Throw violently down' or 'be in a state of being thrown violently down'.

Moo...it is misadventure. Makes no difference on your age. It happens to all ages. If you are standing on a hill and look down..you have a view of paths... terrain. But at the bottom of the hill, look up..you cannot see paths. Very easy to get lost....moo

Why don't the police s imply state that no Rolex watch was found with Jay - assuming none was found?

Their refusal to say that makes it look as though they may have found the watch. Which in turn raises other questions.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni
Back