DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm.
'We're not going to rest': Investigators vow to find Sonia Varaschin's killer
August 30, 2019 7:01PM EDT
"This is not a cold case. We have been actively investigating this case since the 30th of August, 2010. It's not a cold case." Det. Insp. Shawn Glassford makes it very clear he is determined to find the person who killed Sonia Varaschin nine years ago.

The 42-year-old Orangeville woman was reported missing on Aug. 30, 2010, when she failed to show up for work.

That same day, police located her blood-stained car in an alley behind Orangeville town hall. They went to her townhome on Spring Street to investigate and described finding a horrific crime scene.

Photos

"I believe Sonia was targeted. Whether she knew who the killer was or not, I don't know that. But I do know that she was targeted," Glassford says.

Just days after her disappearance, Sonia's body was discovered in a ditch along Beech Grove Sideroad in Caledon, some 13 kilometres from her home.

Investigators say she was wrapped in blood-soaked bed sheets and dragged from her home.

Police recovered DNA evidence believed to belong to the killer, but so far there has been no match. Even so, Glassford says it's only a matter of time before they find the person responsible. "[It's a] feeling I have. The investigators we have are very determined, very stubborn. I feel confident."
Wonder if they could submit DNA to one of those genetic DNA kits? Alot of cases are being solved, so it's a great tool to use.

From the O-Ville Citizen Sept 16, 2019
Investigators still tracking Sonia Varachin’s murderer 9 years later
http://citizen.on.ca/?p=15771
QUOTE:
“We’ve taken advantage of some new DNA examinations,” Inspector Glassford explained. “It’s called STRmix. That is science in the DNA world that is able to take a mixture of DNA and isolates each person. They can separate in a way they can determine different DNA profiles. It’s somewhat new. The technology has been around for a couple of years but it’s something that in the last year or two we’ve taken advantage of.” UNQUOTE

Does this mean that LE has DNA from more than one person?? Does it mean they DON’T yet have a DNA profile isolated to an individual?? I am really perplexed. Can someone else make sense of this?

Last edited:
From the O-Villegas’s Citizen Sept 16,
http://citizen.on.ca/?p=15771
QUOTE:
“We’ve taken advantage of some new DNA examinations,” Inspector Glassford explained. “It’s called STRmix. That is science in the DNA world that is able to take a mixture of DNA and isolates each person. They can separate in a way they can determine different DNA profiles. It’s somewhat new. The technology has been around for a couple of years but it’s something that in the last year or two we’ve taken advantage of.” UNQUOTE

Does this mean that LE has DNA from more than one person?? Does it mean they DON’T yet have a DNA profile isolated to an individual?? I am really perplexed. Can someone else make sense of this?
Maybe they want to isolate and identify the dna profiles of more than one person.? eek! speculation, imo.
Rbbm.
"The person or persons responsible for this crime did leave behind some evidence that is helping police narrow down suspects. At least one person at the crime scene was wearing a size 10 or 11 Dakota or Wind River brand boot that was sold exclusively by Mark’s Work Wearhouse.

The killer or killers also left behind DNA evidence that was recovered by police.

“We’ve taken advantage of some new DNA examinations,” Inspector Glassford explained. “It’s called STRmix. That is science in the DNA world that is able to take a mixture of DNA and isolates each person. They can separate in a way they can determine different DNA profiles."

Yes, LE has been suggesting there may be more than one killer. But if they have “only taken advantage of it in the last year or two” as Glassford states, what does this mean for the DNA they’ve said they have from the beginning?
Maybe they have a second sample — one with mixed DNA. But frankly I have worried all long the “DNA” announcement was an attempt to smoke the killer out. I hope I’m wrong.

Apologies, Dotr! My reply on the sweep was to my own post, not yours :) I hadn’t refreshed to see your reply!

Oct 10 2019
ONTARIO COLD CASE: Is an arrest close in brutal attack of Shelley Loder?
"The vicious attack on Shelley Loder and the murder of Sonia Varaschin occurred three months apart in 2010. There are similarities and dissimilarities to each crime. Could the same offender be responsible? Could it be a copycat? The OPP doesn’t believe they're connected but continues to keep an open mind.

No arrests have been made after a violent and vicious attack on Shelley Loder inside her Mono photography studio close to nine years ago, but an investigator overseeing the file says one tip could break the case wide open at any time."

IF the profile really is of Sheri-Lynn McEwan, she answered to a corresponding question, her worst year in her life has been 2010.

Would like to know, why. Maybe nothing at all except other private reasons, maybe connections to Sonia's death or something like that? Maybe she was a friend of Sonia? - Sad, she is one of the poor women who can't tell us any more.
Could not find a thread for Sheri-Lynn, just started one. Noting that LE are quite certain that her husband is innocent.
Interesting that like Sonia, SLM is a nurse in her 40's.
Ws thread..
CANADA - Sheri-Lynn McEwan, 40 (nurse,fire fighter) stabbed,Sudbury Ont.,12 Oct 2013

This video appears to be related to the one posted above but is longer:

After the success of the OPP Investigative Lens – Serial Instinct video series, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) turns the lens to a new series focused on unsolved homicide and missing person cases.
The OPP provides a behind-the-scenes look at open investigations and unique techniques in the hopes of sparking new tips from the public that could potentially help solve these cases.

Someone Knows Something
Sonia Varaschin – The 42-year-old health care professional was brutally murdered in her home in Orangeville in 2010. Her body was found days later in a wooded area. After nine years, what do we know and where does the investigation stand?

Melanie Ethier – It’s been 23 years since Melanie disappeared without a trace while walking home in a small northern town. Where do police look when there is no evidence and how do investigators stay motivated to solve the case?

Kathy Wilson – A case is not closed until it is solved. Thirty-nine years later, the OPP gets a confession and the family gets peace. This video is a rare look at the evidence and techniques the OPP can now share including interviews with the family and the undercover officer who got close to the murderer, and finally the confession 39 years after the 12-year old’s disappearance.

Are you someone who knows something that might assist in the Sonia Varaschin or Melanie Ethier investigations? Contact Criminal Investigation Services, OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (tips).

Category
News & Politics

Video hoped to spark tips on Melanie Ethier disappearance
“This video series is a different approach to reach the public in a meaningful way and hopefully generate new leads,” Det. Inspector Shawn Glassford says.

“It also allows us to showcase the efforts of investigative teams in solving an historical missing person case featuring never-before seen footage of undercover scenarios.”

Anyone with any information that could assist in the Ethier or Varaschin investigations can contact Criminal Investigation Services, OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (tips).

The videos can be viewed at www.opp.ca/news/#/viewnews/5e272d28ec71b

Jan 24 2020 rbbm.
WARMINGTON: Cops hunting killer who mudered nurse a decade ago

''In every unsolved homicide, there’s one consistent truth: Someone knows something!''

''There’s lots to look at in the mysterious slaying of Varaschin, starting with her townhouse on Spring Rd., in Orangeville, which abuts a small wooded area.

During the early morning hours of Aug. 30, an assailant entered Varaschin’s home and attacked her, according to police. She was in her bedroom.

When the killer left, he transported Varaschin’s blood-soaked body out of the townhouse and into her white Toyota Corolla. He drove about 12 kilometres southwest to a rural wooded area where he left the body.''

''Strangely, the killer drove her car back into town where he parked it behind a business downtown.''

“Very high risk,” said Glassford of all the killer’s moves that night. “In the middle of the summer, someone could have seen him move the body or he could have been pulled over by police during the transport of her body.”

''The killer could have been caught on camera or spotted when bringing the car back.''

''To know where she lived, a spot to dispose of the body and a place to dump a car without detection is head-scratching.''

Jan 24 2020 rbbm.
WARMINGTON: Cops hunting killer who mudered nurse a decade ago

''In every unsolved homicide, there’s one consistent truth: Someone knows something!''

''There’s lots to look at in the mysterious slaying of Varaschin, starting with her townhouse on Spring Rd., in Orangeville, which abuts a small wooded area.

During the early morning hours of Aug. 30, an assailant entered Varaschin’s home and attacked her, according to police. She was in her bedroom.

When the killer left, he transported Varaschin’s blood-soaked body out of the townhouse and into her white Toyota Corolla. He drove about 12 kilometres southwest to a rural wooded area where he left the body.''

''Strangely, the killer drove her car back into town where he parked it behind a business downtown.''

“Very high risk,” said Glassford of all the killer’s moves that night. “In the middle of the summer, someone could have seen him move the body or he could have been pulled over by police during the transport of her body.”

''The killer could have been caught on camera or spotted when bringing the car back.''

''To know where she lived, a spot to dispose of the body and a place to dump a car without detection is head-scratching.''
Again the men in the gazebo come to mind ....

The video is a beautiful tribute to Sonia. But: I don't know how others feel, but I am experiencing more sadness on watching the video than hopefulness on its release. I hear "minor" male profile and "weak sample" in reference to the DNA, and a statement on the new tech that can separate DNA profiles with the hope that what's left is from a suspect.... Is it only me with these fears/worries? I keep posting on this topic. I'll stop -- but I'd be so happy to hear more positive, optimistic views around the DNA said to be collected at the scene. I keep hoping I'm wrong about what LE does or does not have. In the meantime, I'm trying to remind myself that videos like this DO prompt new tips as news outlets indicate. Please may this new year bring significant new info!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3