CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Citizen Scientist Who Finds Killers from her Couch

Provided a DNA profile, she first assesses, on a scale of 1 to 5, whether or not genetic genealogy is likely to break the case. A 5 is nearly hopeless. A 1 is a sure bet. The ranking depends on factors like the quality of the DNA and what a quick search reveals about the number of matching relatives in a growing open database called GEDmatch. So far, Parabon has plugged 100 cases into the database, and Moore has been working on about 10.
-.-
Moore was given access to the DNA profile on a Friday. She turned in the answer Monday morning. It proved easier than expected. She had hits on both sides of the family. That let her triangulate to a couple with three daughters and one son. Process of elimination. It must be him.

Could not help but think of SV after reading about this US guy who used a variety of dating sites. Fwiw, speculation, imo. rbbm.
Police probing whether suspect in NYC Tinder date murder killed others
July 30, 2018
"LOS ANGELES -- Investigators are looking into whether a man suspected of killing a woman he met on a dating app in New York City may have killed others, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press on Monday."
After his arrest, Drayton talked about killing at least five others in Connecticut and New York, the officials said. Investigators are trying to determine whether his claims are true.

"The officials said Drayton did not admit killing Samantha Stewart, a nurse found dead in her New York City apartment, though police believe he's responsible. Stewart's lifeless body was found July 17 on the floor of her bedroom in Queens, wrapped in blankets and it appeared that she had been strangled and some of her teeth had been knocked out, police said."
"Investigators believe Drayton may be responsible for other attacks and believe he was using several dating websites and apps to meet women, Dermot Shea, the chief of detectives in New York City, told reporters.

Officials are using DNA testing to determine whether Drayton's DNA turns up in forensic evidence collected from any unsolved homicides."

Another article: ORANGEVILLE NURSE MURDER: Cops float theory of more than one killer

OPP Det.-Insp. Shawn Glassford told the Orangeville Banner he believes investigators are closer than ever to nabbing the killer — or killers.

“One, two or three people, we won’t get into how many we think were involved,” Glassford told the Banner.

At the time of Varaschin’s murder, cops believed the killer “was covered in a significant amount of blood”.

If there was possibly more than one killer ( might explain all the open doors on SV"s car?) the meeting perp" online "angle becomes complicated..
Was SV setup for an ambush?
speculation. imorbbm.

ORANGEVILLE NURSE MURDER: Cops float theory of more than one killer
"From the beginning, investigators didn’t believe the murder was random."
“We don’t have a closed mind to the fact it could be somebody from outside the area,” Glassford told the Banner. “I don’t know 100% that they know the area, but it’s common sense. If somebody is putting a car here and a body here, you think they might have an idea.”
"Investigators also haven’t ruled out the possibility that Varaschin may have met her murderer online."

I was just coming on to post this info -- thank you Matou! I am trying to take heart that LE is "closer" to solving, and surely they must have something concrete we don't know about to be floating the multi-perp or multi-accomplice idea. Someone needs to TALK!!!! LE keeps saying someone knows something..... How can a person live with themselves if so? Crime stoppers is wholly anonymous.... It would be amazing if someone gave over info that could give Sonia's agonized family some answers. Hoping this is the year of justice for Sonia!

Apparently, DNA databases like ancestryDNA are not possible for this investigation. I'm confused about why.

“We’re still taking advantage of new technology with DNA and we’re actively investigating,” he said.

One potential avenue the OPP is not, currently, able to take advantage of is familial DNA searching. The controversial technique, used to some effect in cases in the UK and USA since its adoption in the early 2000s, is a two-phase process that, essentially, attempts to find a partial match for a person of interest’s DNA in a national database. Often, familial DNA searches will bring matches to siblings, children, parents or other blood relatives, of the original DNA owner.

A theoretical description of how familial DNA searching works is described on criminal.findlaw.com as “Let’s say, for example, DNA from a crime scene might not match any DNA in federal databases, but if the person’s son had been recently incarcerated and thus his information entered into a DNA database, a familial DNA search could lead police to the son, and ultimately to their suspect.”

Currently, no law agency in Canada makes use of familial DNA searching, although RCMP officials last year stated they were looking into it. In this particular case, Det. Insp. Glassford indicated familial DNA searching was not a possibility.

“I can tell you we are not able to access the national DNA databank for the use of familial DNA searching,” he said. “Whatever DNA resources we have at our disposal, we are using.”

Eight years later, identity of Sonia Varaschin’s killer still a mystery

wow, Matou. Again, thanks for posting this. I wonder if the issue is ethics in Canada or type of DNA, or --? I don't have the energy to search this today. But at some point I'll learn what I can about familial DNA searching -- including failures/weaknesses, and the Canadian (or Ontarian) position on its use. (If anyone else knows, it would be fab to share what you've learned :))

wow, Matou. Again, thanks for posting this. I wonder if the issue is ethics in Canada or type of DNA, or --? I don't have the energy to search this today. But at some point I'll learn what I can about familial DNA searching -- including failures/weaknesses, and the Canadian (or Ontarian) position on its use. (If anyone else knows, it would be fab to share what you've learned :))
Just came across this link for something else and did not know where to post it. Maybe this might be a good spot right here.
Government of Canada announces launch of the RCMP’s National Missing Persons DNA Program - Canada.ca
"Two new criminal indices will also be created:
The Victims Index – Voluntary DNA profiles from victims of crime, which could help police identify serial offenders and link crime scenes.
  • The Voluntary Donors Index – DNA profiles voluntarily submitted by any person, other than a victim, to advance a criminal, missing persons or unidentified human remains investigation.
Working with the RCMP’s National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains, biological samples and DNA profiles for missing persons and human remains investigations will be submitted by police, coroners and medical examiners across Canada to the RCMP’s NDDB laboratory in Ottawa for analysis.

While not a solution for all cases, the National Missing Persons DNA Program will be a valuable tool for police to help bring closure to loved ones.”

The National Missing Persons DNA Program - Canada.ca
"The National Missing Persons DNA Program will be a valuable new tool for all Canadian police. The more DNA profiles that are added to the NDDB, the more useful the Program will be in assisting investigations. Having the RCMP process the samples for the humanitarian indices also ensures that the Program is truly national in scope by providing equal access to the same consistent service to every police force and coroner/medical examiner’s office across Canada and at no additional cost.

This broadening of the national use of DNA identification for humanitarian purposes will facilitate police investigations but also enable a national response for the identification of victims of mass disasters (e.g. SwissAir Flight 111). While not a solution for solving all outstanding missing persons investigations, the introduction of the new indices will ensure that all investigative avenues available to police are being pursued.

For more information: Questions and Answers – National Missing Persons DNA Program"

Thanks for the above, Dotr. I think this is great news (although I can appreciate concerns over evidence planting and bungled or corrupt evidence collection, although I'm sure these things happen but rarely). DNA alone can't solve a case but certainly can help identify suspects!
It turns out that the Can gov't does not allow recourse to familial DNA searches -- although this is supposed to be going forward for reconsideration. See info at RCMP currently examining use of DNA familial searching
So that's why LE can't use it (now) in Sonia's case --
2sm

Not sure if the link I copied above came through ok:
I can't seem to give the specific url/addy. The home/host is at BiometricUpdate -- but that won't get you to the article, alas.

Here's the info at link: "According to a recent article in the Ottawa Sun, using family-member DNA searches could help solve Canadian cold cases.

With the advent of highly detailed and accessible genetic databases, police forces can now search for DNA samples that are extremely similar, but which are not identical, to identity an unknown perpetrator. Utilizing this technique, law enforcement officials can attempt to analyze “familial matches” in DNA databases, in order to seek out other family members who are the real suspects of a crime.

According to RCMP spokesman Sgt. Harold Pfleiderer, Canada’s national police force is “currently examining the issue of familial searching with a view to providing analysis and information to the Minister of Public Safety in the near future.”

“While familial DNA searching exists in some other countries, in Canada the DNA Identification Act currently does not allow for the conduct of familial searching in relation to the National DNA Data Bank,” Pfleiderer told the paper.

The article notes that Canada has been studying familial searching for about 10 years. The article also found that Canada’s National DNA Data Bank advisory committee stated in its 2012 report that the technique, which has been used in several other jurisdictions, has “led to the successful identification and conviction of offenders who would have remained at large” in the U.K.; identified a serial killer “who had terrorized the area for over 18 years and committed at least 10 murders” in California; and had also “led to the exoneration of an innocent person who had been convicted and served 19 years in prison prior to his brother being identified as the guilty party after a familial search was undertaken.”

While so-called “kinship searching” might provide benefits for families seeking justice in murder cases and provide police a new tool to investigate “cold cases”, the investigative technique has been criticized by civil liberties group for its potential to tie innocent people to criminal investigations. Canadian parliamentary research also found that Canada’s DNA database might be too small for familial searching to be effective.

Canada’s National DNA Data Bank was designed to improve the administration of justice by contributing to the early identification of those who commit serious crimes. The system helps link crimes where there are no suspects, helps to identify and eliminate suspects, and helps determine if serious crimes are serial in nature. In 2013, $5.3 million was spent to maintain Canada’s DNA Data Bank."

From https:// [and then] www. [and then] biometricupdate [and then] .com/201701/rcmp-currently-examining-use-of-dna-familial-searching -- no spaces

Wondering if the people in the video still live or hang around in that neighbourhood?
I would like to know, if these two men only at this special day, at that special time (very early morning) were standing in the gazebo, as if they were on a look out and then strolling "innocently" and cool away. Did they never do that before and after the day of murder? Is/was there some more surveillance video for LE to have a look?
Who are these men? If one would know them, one could have had recognize them easily by gait/street style etc., I'm sure. I would have, I think.
1-2-3 killers perhaps? 2 at the gazebo and the third, who drove Sonia's and/or another vehicle ...?
Did a citizen ever find blood-soaked clothes of a perp/the perps in the past years?
Where did the male young noisy party-neighbours move to, when they left the home near Sonia?
What are they doing since then? Do they all lead a decent life (working, no drugs, no excessive consumption of alkohol)?
Who of them is having encounters with police every now and then or even all too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya