CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You offered an interesting theory that he may have moved Sonia's body in order to revisit her later. This is indeed something a serial killer would do but I disagree that this was his reasoning. If it were, she would have been placed in a more remote location. I also don''t think he walked around covered in blood as he could have used an outside hose to wash up with. I am suspicious as to Sonia's cause of death. I am wondering if she was beaten like Shelley Loder. If this is the case, then they do have a possible sketch of the suspect seen around the location of Shelley. I am even wondering if this sketch was generated by Shelley herself. They also haven't released the cause of death on Sherry McEwan from Sudbury. What if it is the same as Shelley's as well. Possible serial Killer? I guess we just have to wait and see what transpires in their investigations. I will be hoping that information is released Aug 30. We will see.

You offered an interesting theory that he may have moved Sonia's body in order to revisit her later. This is indeed something a serial killer would do but I disagree that this was his reasoning. If it were, she would have been placed in a more remote location. I also don''t think he walked around covered in blood as he could have used an outside hose to wash up with. I am suspicious as to Sonia's cause of death. I am wondering if she was beaten like Shelley Loder. If this is the case, then they do have a possible sketch of the suspect seen around the location of Shelley. I am even wondering if this sketch was generated by Shelley herself. They also haven't released the cause of death on Sherry McEwan from Sudbury. What if it is the same as Shelley's as well. Possible serial Killer? I guess we just have to wait and see what transpires in their investigations. I will be hoping that information is released Aug 30. We will see.

^^ This! After all she was a fun-loving nurse too, AFAIK. My personally POI (husband) is dead, unfortunately.

A 911 call was placed from the residence and McEwan was found gravely injured inside, dying later in hospital.

Mary says police assured her they didn’t view her ex-husband as a suspect, but remains a bit confused by the approach they took with the family.

“They said that he wasn’t,” she says. “However, they did not want us to contact him, because there was an ongoing investigation. It doesn’t make much sense why we couldn’t contact him.”

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2017/10/22/children-of-terry-boyle-wrestle-with-questions

You know, I've always wondered about why Sonia's killer removed her body from the house when it would have been easier just to leave her there. I have always tried to attach a specific motive to this risky behavior such as he knew the family and didn't want them to find her or he was ashamed of what he had done and wanted to hide the evidence but I was watching an episode of Forensic Files where a very similar crime took place in the States. A woman was being watched by a guy in the neighborhood and when she went out for the evening he broke into her home and waited for her to come home and go to bed before he attacked and killed her. He wrapped her body in the bedding from her bed, put her in the trunk of her own car and dumped her in a remote area. He actually burned the car but otherwise the case is very similar. He actually gave no real reason for taking her out of the house except to distance himself from the crime. He wasn't panicking and there certainly wasn't a connection to the victim other than he knew her from the neighborhood. I guess I was expecting this light bulb moment about why Sonia's killer took her from the house but maybe there is no real reason other than he just wanted some time to regroup.

I think that there was a specific motive for removing Sonia from her home. Too much effort and risk was taken to remove her from the home. I think there is a message in this such as in the location of where she was found. This location will mean something to someone. The leaving of the car doors open at the tack shop seems to me to send a message of some sort such as location and to grab attention from others. To me, he is not distancing himself from the crime but trying to say "I did this...look at what I can do" sort of attitude. Psychopaths like to play games and to me this is a puzzle that someone has deliberately initiated. I bet that this guy has done this before and got away with it too. I think this is why the FBI was involved. The summit was probably to see whether they could identify other victims from the same guy. This is a special case and I am sure that the OPP have not given up on catching him. He probably thinks he is smart and lucky but you can't outsmart all the detectives working on this case and luck runs out eventually. He'll be caught!

I think that there was a specific motive for removing Sonia from her home. Too much effort and risk was taken to remove her from the home. I think there is a message in this such as in the location of where she was found. This location will mean something to someone. The leaving of the car doors open at the tack shop seems to me to send a message of some sort such as location and to grab attention from others. To me, he is not distancing himself from the crime but trying to say "I did this...look at what I can do" sort of attitude. Psychopaths like to play games and to me this is a puzzle that someone has deliberately initiated. I bet that this guy has done this before and got away with it too. I think this is why the FBI was involved. The summit was probably to see whether they could identify other victims from the same guy. This is a special case and I am sure that the OPP have not given up on catching him. He probably thinks he is smart and lucky but you can't outsmart all the detectives working on this case and luck runs out eventually. He'll be caught!

rbbm.
Sometimes re reading news links, a different interpretation of events comes to the foreground.
Previously it looked like a rash, perhaps drugged/drunk perp was moving Sonia and her car because he was wild and crazy, now wondering if there was indeed a method to the madness?
Purposely created several crime scenes to delay discovery and hasten decomposition, he very publicly rattles the neighbours and community by leaving blood on Sonia's front stairs, then her car is dumped in an alley by city hall ( political statement of some kind?)
This person took control and showed he was in control of Sonia's home, Sonia's body and life, the very blankets she slept in and the car she drove. Everything. Then he basically shoved his ability to control in everyone's face.
speculation.imo.
rbbm.
https://www.caledonenterprise.com/n...chin-case-remains-unsolved-after-seven-years/
Aug 30, 2017 by Danielle Marr

Her body was discovered a week later on Sept. 5, 2010 in a wooded area along Beech Grove Sideroad in Caledon by a resident walking their dog.
Bedding missing from the 42-year-old nurse’s apartment was later found by police with her body.

We are always looking at new information as well as looking over past information at different angles. If we can looked at it in a different light then perhaps it will lead us in a different direction. The long and the short of it is we are not giving up.”

“The collection is still going on with individuals that have a connection to the victim or the area in which the victim lived, as well as where the victim’s body was located,” lead investigator at the time, Det. Ins. Andy Karski said. “We’ve designed this DNA collection process in concentric circles around her life and the geography.”
Evidence was gathered from at least three crime scenes in the weeks following the murder including Varaschin’s Spring Street apartment in Orangeville, an alley behind Orangeville town hall where her Toyota Corolla was found, and on Beech Grove Sideroad.

I wonder if he panicked and removed her body thinking he left DNA, so he took her out in the elements to destroy evidence.

Not saying this perp is or is not an SK, but here's what Psychology Today has to say wrt the MOs of serial killers:

from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...llers-modus-operandi-signature-staging-posing

With organized offenders, there are typically three separate crime scenes: where the victim was approached by the killer, where the victim was killed, and where the victim’s body was disposed of. Organized killers are very difficult to apprehend because they go to inordinate lengths to cover their tracks and often are forensically savvy, meaning they are familiar with police investigation methods.

[...]

Disorganized crimes, in contrast, are not planned and the criminals typically leave evidence such as fingerprints or blood at the scene of the murder. There is often no attempt to move or otherwise conceal the corpse after the murder.

So while Sonia's case may not be the work of a serial killer, the moving of the body would seem to indicate an organized killer rather than disorganized.

JMO

Hi everyone :)

Since it has already been established that the TE video has some facts wrong, it has been removed for discussion purposes.

Let's stick with MSM or LE; while they may not always be 100% accurate, they are in the business of providing official information (rather than someone who just decides to do their own amateur video or podcast about crime and states things as fact that are not accurate).

Hi everyone :)

Since it has already been established that the TE video has some facts wrong, it has been removed for discussion purposes.

Let's stick with MSM or LE; while they may not always be 100% accurate, they are in the business of providing official information (rather than someone who just decides to do their own amateur video or podcast about crime and states things as fact that are not accurate).

I was replying to winnie94's post at the exact moment the post was deleted. :)
Winnie94 It bugs me that he pronounces Sonia's name wrong .
(RBBM)

Actually he pronounces Sonia's last name correctly. :)

Varaschin is an Italian last name.

Divided in syllables: Va - ras - chin (with the accent voice on the letter "i")

"ch" in Italian sounds like "k"

"chin" sounds like: "kin"

You can hear how it's pronounced here in this video, around the 00:10 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYGxBOPU_f8

Hope this helps. :)

Not saying this perp is or is not an SK, but here's what Psychology Today has to say wrt the MOs of serial killers:

from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...llers-modus-operandi-signature-staging-posing

So while Sonia's case may not be the work of a serial killer, the moving of the body would seem to indicate an organized killer rather than disorganized.

JMO

The killer left blood at the crime scene (indoors, outside) and he even lost a piece of cloth outdoors on the grass, AFAIK. He left Sonia's car with blood stains. He left her mattress protector or similar near her body.
I don't know what his mind was at the time.

JMO

The killer left blood at the crime scene (indoors, outside) and he even lost a piece of cloth outdoors on the grass, AFAIK. He left Sonia's car with blood stains. He left her mattress protector or similar near her body.
I don't know what his mind was at the time.
Thank you FromGermany, this is the first time I hear about "him losing a piece of cloth outdoors on the grass" and also about "mattress protector" for some reason I always thought it was either a comforter or bed sheets.

Regarding the "moving of the body" that is something that always puzzled me. I keep thinking about Russell Williams. Though he hasn't been named a SK, is RW considered as an organized killer?
We know he was very meticulous and organized with his "trophies" and computer files.

His MO was practically the same when it comes to how he entered his victims' homes.

He didn't move Cpl. Marie-France Comeau's body, from her home.
In Jessica Lloyd's case, he took her to his place before leaving her body outdoors.

Thank you FromGermany, this is the first time I hear about "him losing a piece of cloth outdoors on the grass" and also about "mattress protector" for some reason I always thought it was either a comforter or bed sheets.

Regarding the "moving of the body" that is something that always puzzled me. I keep thinking about Russell Williams. Though he hasn't been named a SK, is RW considered as an organized killer?
We know he was very meticulous and organized with his "trophies" and computer files.

His MO was practically the same when it comes to how he entered his victims' homes.

He didn't move Cpl. Marie-France Comeau's body, from her home.
In Jessica Lloyd's case, he took her to his place before leaving her body outdoors.

The "mattress protector" maybe the wrong description/term I used. "Comforter" maybe the right one, I remember this now.
Searched for the image of the "piece of cloth" but didn't find it.
-.-.-.-
Apropos "organized"/"disorganized" killer: In Sonia's case the killer also left his footprints. Remember the worker boots!

SoniaBoots.jpg

I hope LE will consider using AncestryDNA and other DNA test banks to narrow a suspect down. This method was used successfully in a high profile case in the US. It seems that the perp's DNA is not able to be determined via the regular methods.

This case needs to be back in the news. IMO

It seemed to be so random, as many are but whose jurisdiction is it under, the OPP??

Do they not keep on it? Guess not, sadly.

LE seem to have been very quiet about this case since they last asked for tips from the public regarding the young men seen on cctv in a park on the evening that Sonia was murdered.
Could it be that LE are on the trail of the killer, maybe even found a dna match and are waiting for the right opportunity to pounce and arrest him?
imo, speculation.
http://885thejewel.com/police-seek-publics-assistance-solving-2010-murder-sonia-varaschin/
A year later, investigators revealed that one of the crime scenes associated with the murder provided key evidence that could help to identify the person responsible. DNA evidence has been tested and with advancements in DNA related technology at the Centre of Forensic Science, police are hopeful that science may also one day help to identify the killer.

I am thinking that Sonia's cause of death was the same as what happened to Shelley Loder. If Sonia was shot, it would have been heard. If she was stabbed, others would have heard screams. However, if she were incapacitated by a blow to the head, this would explain the lack of noise heard and all of the blood that was found. I think that the two cases are connected. He may have been angry at the lack of attention that his crime received with Sonia and attempted to complete another attack to bring the focus back to him. I would love to know whether they were able to gather DNA from Shelley's attack that would link the two cases. I'm sure the OPP would keep that info. quiet. I do believe this guy has struck before and that his crimes go back over the years. Ontario has many unsolved crimes.

Something is going on with the "Like" button. And with font size, it seems?
If I'm liking it doesn't show up.
My "Alerts" show double links to some posts I liked. No wonder, the "Likes Received" are at an increasing number. :p

038 - The Murder of Sonia Varaschin
The whole story .............
Sonia’s issues were not only linked to her job. Possibly as a result of her stress at work, new neighbors became another point of contention. According to Michele, some young men had rented a townhouse unit a few doors down from her. Being that they were younger, and living the fun life, they would often have loud music going late into the night and had parties would could become rowdy and disruptive. Sonia had confronted the group several times, but they didn’t seem to be receptive to her complaints. While they would tell her that they’d try to keep it down, the issues continued. It was difficult for Sonia who worked long hours and needed her sleep, when she could get it. When the issue continued, Sonia took action. Michele later said “She was a nurse who worked shifts, so she called the police on them several times.”

Where are Toronto Police, OPP on science of family DNA?
"May 21, 2018
First the Golden State Killer was apprehended after more than 30 years of eluding authorities. Now police in Washington State have arrested a man for the murder of two Canadian sweethearts on vacation in Seattle in 1987. What’s happening? The answer is that forensic science has discovered the method of using crime scene DNA to find relatives of the perpetrator. They then work backwards through the family tree until they identify the owner of the tattletale evidence left with a murder victim. As Atlantic Magazine says in a current post, the new science would seem to herald a “Coming Wave of Solved Murders.”

"Toronto Police have a hard-working Cold Crime Unit as do many services. Every now and then, a reward is offered. Retired US prosecutor and now consultant Rockne Harmon tells The Bulldog that rewards are fine but familial DNA may be far better. There are many Ontario and Toronto cases demanding the best methods available to solve the crime. Three such matters are those of Gracelyn Greenidge, Margaret McWilliam and Sonia Varaschin."
Also posted on murdered in her home- nurse, Gracelyn Greenidge's thread.

CANADA - Canada - Gracelyn Greenidge, 41, Toronto, 28 July 1997

Last edited:
Dotr! Thanks for posting the above! I imagine folks MUST have commented on this already, but; MY WORD! Margaret McWilliam looks very like a young Sonia Varaschin in those photos above. Do others see the same? I had to look TWICE -- and read -- to confirm Margaret's image was not simply a younger photo of Sonia. While I understand LE believe Margaret's murder was not targeted (more a crime of opportunity) and in Sonia's that she was known to her killer and targeted specifically, I wonder if Sonia could have reminded him of the earlier, random crime? It is another small connection that they were both murdered at the end of August (1987/2010).
Dotr, you present another possible connection on Margaret's thread in asking if someone is targeting health care workers.... Since there is, apparently (?!), DNA from both murders I assume a link has been ruled out (or we would have learned of a connection?) But to me the resemblance seems UNCANNY.
(This message copied to both women's threads bm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18