Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what TB was involved in, including criminal activity, it is not a justifiable motive and TB didn't deserve to lose his life anymore than HDB did. But after hearing CD's fathers comments about TB I don't think TB was involved in anything anymore, because CD's dad probably wouldn't have allowed him to have custody of HDB if he knew he was doing bad things. JMO

No matter what TB was involved in, including criminal activity, it is not a justifiable motive and TB didn't deserve to lose his life anymore than HDB did. But after hearing CD's fathers comments about TB I don't think TB was involved in anything anymore, because CD's dad probably wouldn't have allowed him to have custody of HDB if he knew he was doing bad things. JMO

because CD's dad probably wouldn't have allowed him to have custody of HDB if he knew he was doing bad things. JMO[/QUOTE]

No one deserves to be murdered. No one. Even killing someone in self-defence is closely scrutinized by the courts. A plea of self-defence has to be proven in court to the satisfaction of the judge or judge and jury.

What went on the night of the murders? We don't know. LE obviously believes this to be first-degree murder (premeditated, or murder in the course of a specific criminal activity); please see link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(Canadian_law)

It is not uncommon for LE to lay a second-degree murder charge, then upgrade the charge to first-degree later as evidence leads in that direction. All of this must be tested in court. For LE to charge DS with first-degree murder right out of the box, they must believe that DS took action against TB and HDB. IOW, LE must believe DS was the aggressor and initiator of the violence. He went to TB's house. TB was not murdered in DS's house.

I agree that the neighbor SK is likely key to this, but he may have been instructed by LE or a lawyer not to talk. For all we know, SK could have been the one that reported the van speeding away and hearing HDB.

Custody decisions are up to the courts. If KD took issue with it, he would have to make his case in front of a judge at a custody hearing. CD could also take issue with custody at a later date if some issue that would be harmful to HDB came up. So even if KD didn't like the custody arrangements (and it sure sounds like he didn't), he had to accept them. It sounded like CD and TB had reached an arrangement acceptable to both of them.

CD did not have to use the Blanchette name for her child. It is up to the mother to make the naming decision in Alberta. She chose to give her daughter the Blanchette name, which indicates to me goodwill on her part, and a desire to have her father's child involved in her child's life.

Can anyone tell me if there has ever been a similar event during any other Canadian cases, where the suspect has either tried to or successfully killed themselves before standing trial?

If DS were left in a coma indefinitely, would the trial be postponed indefinitely or continue in his absence? If he were to pass away would he still be tried posthumously? I just want the case to be laid out at trial No matter what, so that the families have as many answers as possible and can see the evidence, and that could help stop all the public speculation and theories.

CDs dad would really have no clue as to what TB was doing, he'd simply have to take his word for it. Not that it was his call anyway, it was CDs baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me if there has ever been a similar event during any other Canadian cases, where the suspect has either tried to or successfully killed themselves before standing trial?

If DS were left in a coma indefinitely, would the trial be postponed indefinitely or continue in his absence? If he were to pass away would he still be tried posthumously? I just want the case to be laid out at trial No matter what, so that the families have as many answers as possible and can see the evidence, and that could help stop all the public speculation and theories.

There was a case but my memory isn't great about the details - a woman in Quebec who murdered her children who died before trial, I think it was suicide? I'll go see if I can find it...

<modsnip>

No one deserves to be murdered. No one. Even killing someone in self-defence is closely scrutinized by the courts. A plea of self-defence has to be proven in court to the satisfaction of the judge or judge and jury.

What went on the night of the murders? We don't know. LE obviously believes this to be first-degree murder (premeditated, or murder in the course of a specific criminal activity); please see link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(Canadian_law)

It is not uncommon for LE to lay a second-degree murder charge, then upgrade the charge to first-degree later as evidence leads in that direction. All of this must be tested in court. For LE to charge DS with first-degree murder right out of the box, they must believe that DS took action against TB and HDB. IOW, LE must believe DS was the aggressor and initiator of the violence. He went to TB's house. TB was not murdered in DS's house.

I agree that the neighbor SK is likely key to this, but he may have been instructed by LE or a lawyer not to talk. For all we know, SK could have been the one that reported the van speeding away and hearing HDB.

Custody decisions are up to the courts. If KD took issue with it, he would have to make his case in front of a judge at a custody hearing. CD could also take issue with custody at a later date if some issue that would be harmful to HDB came up. So even if KD didn't like the custody arrangements (and it sure sounds like he didn't), he had to accept them. It sounded like CD and TB had reached an arrangement acceptable to both of them.

CD did not have to use the Blanchette name for her child. It is up to the mother to make the naming decision in Alberta. She chose to give her daughter the Blanchette name, which indicates to me goodwill on her part, and a desire to have her father's child involved in her child's life.

ETA: I am not clear at all if there ever was a formal custody hearing. CD and TB were never married, and I have not heard anything about how long they lived together WRT how courts treat children from common-law partnerships. A formal custody arrangement would allow less ambiguity, IMO, so less opportunity for family members on either side to butt in. There may have been nothing in writing, and no custody order. If there was nothing formal, and TB and CD were both satisfied with how things were working, then it was entirely up to them.

If he lives the case could be tried without his participation although every effort would be made to accommodate him. If he was in a vegetative state I'm sure a plea deal would be reached and he would be cared for by the state. If he dies there would be no case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a case but my memory isn't great about the details - a woman in Quebec who murdered her children who died before trial, I think it was suicide? I'll go see if I can find it...

Thank you. I would love to know if it still went to trial...

Probably not. Families themselves may never learn the full story. Sometimes families get details, and sometimes they don't.

Probably not. Families themselves may never learn the full story. Sometimes families get details, and sometimes they don't.

They would most certainly give the family the details if requested. They have the right to full disclosure once the information will not affect the trial (if he passes or they plea him out).

Russel Williams tried to commit suicide but the guards reached him in time so he tried a hunger strike a few days later, Unsuccessful,, Serving Life Term.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ms-attempts-jailhouse-suicide/article4329813/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-strike-but-making-no-demands/article4189173/

On an unrelated note, I am glad we don't have the DP in Canada. Super glad. Something about it has never sat right with me and I don't think it ever will. Personally, I'd rather have someone sit in a cell forever, but that's just me.

imo, jmo, moo, etc etc.

Respectfully snipped by me; I agree with you about the DP in Canada.

Thought I would share this here!!

Meghan Grant &#8207;@CBCMeg 23m23 minutes ago
BREAKING: Derek Saretzky is out of medically induced coma and speaking, according to a source close to the case #cbc

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg

I'll bet Saretzky was pretty disappointed when he woke up and saw all of those doctors and nurses standing around. Huge FAIL.

Now he gets to sit in his cell stripped down to his underwear and under 24 hour surveillance......indefinitely.

an get well3.gif

Wait, is it true that he's awake and talking? I am hearing different things from different news agencies, and I am SO CONFUSED!

Also, who is SK? I don't remember a neighbour talking.

I just heard it on the news, too. Breaking news.

Oh, I remember the name now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members