Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. You're right. There are many places so remote. Why did he chose a place where it was inevitable HDB would be found, regardless of his cooperation or not.

It snowed on August 21. Was the chilly fall night a factor in choosing a place that would be more comfortable?

There was no snow on the ground on Sept. 14 though, so that would not have played a factor in anything. DS likely chose his aunts property as it was familiar to him - no surprises.

There was no snow on the ground on Sept. 14 though, so that would not have played a factor in anything. DS likely chose his aunts property as it was familiar to him - no surprises.

Snow doesn't stop an outdoorsman.The nights were getting chilly, and he had a small child. He may have sought shelter in a trailer, a house or a campground. It may even have been a work trailer, if there were any around. It may not have been at the place where Hailey was found. He may have taken a quad further into the back country.

If he was seeking a place that was comfortable, then Hailey might still have been alive after he took her. Allegedly.

Man, Google and a wild imagination are a dangerous thing. This is a simple crime. We have very few details to go on besides the fact that 2 are dead and a suspect is in custody. How we went from there to talk of serial killers, native relations, cruelty to animals, the heroin trade, etc, etc, is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is because opinion is inversely proportional to known fact.

DS likely chose his aunts property as it was familiar to him - no surprises.

I wonder whether the fact that he chose a relative's property could indicate that he wasn't thinking straight/according to a "plan"-- why choose somewhere with a connection to you to dispose of a body? That doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder whether the fact that he chose a relative's property could indicate that he wasn't thinking straight/according to a "plan"-- why choose somewhere with a connection to you to dispose of a body? That doesn't make sense to me.

Hard for a normal brain to figure out why criminals do what they do. Perhaps it never occurred to DS that HE would become a suspect so why would his aunt's property be searched. In another current case, Tim Bosma's burned remains were found on his accused murderer's rural property and Tim's truck that was stolen was inside a trailer parked in the driveway of his accused murderer's mother.

It actually makes sense in some ways to dispose of a body in a location that you are familiar with. If DS did indeed burn the body (sorry for the graphic mental image) as has been speculated by some on here, why not do it on private family property that you are familiar with. He would know if people are around, if someone did see him, they may not think anything was out of the ordinary and not pay attention to him. He would also be aware if there was already a firepit at this location and supplies to start a fire with.

I agree with the people saying that he likely went there because he was familiar with it and wouldn't look out of place. He also may not have been expected to be arrested as soon as he was, he may have intended to return and further dispose of
Evidence and just didn't get the chance. If this was not a permanent residence and was just a recreation/summer property maybe he knew no one in his family would be out until the following weekend.

“He is walking and talking. Of course he’s very concerned about everything that’s going on, but he appears to be well,” said Patrick Edgerton, a lawyer with the Edmonton-based firm representing Saretzky.

There are two reasons for the psychiatric assessment, said Edgerton.

“First is to determine whether or not the accused is fit to stand trial. In a basic sense, that means whether or not he understands what’s going on, understands the court process,” he said.

“The second is to see what his mental state was at the time of the offence, what was going on his head.”

The case is due back in court in Lethbridge on Oct. 29.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/assessment-ordered-for-accused-child-killer

"While authorities have released the body of Terry Blanchette, Dunbar said she’s been told she may have to wait months — or as long as a year — before little Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette can be laid to rest.

“The hardest part about all of this right now is we don’t know when she’ll be returned, we don’t know anything about that. We keep getting told ‘maybe next week, maybe next week,’ ” Dunbar told the Herald."

Source ^^^

I read the following which explains the possible reasons for the delay in releasing HDB's body for burial:

"Where the police are investigating the death because they think a crime may have been committed, and when someone has been or may be charged with causing the death, the coroner may delay giving permission to bury the body so that the lawyers acting for the accused can arrange their own post-mortem. This can be very distressing for the family, but the coroner has a duty to protect the rights of the accused in this way.
If someone is charged with an offence and there is to be a criminal trial there will not usually be a full inquest as well. The coroner can hold an inquest after a trial but in practice this is very rare. If you think that there should be an inquest as well as a criminal trial, you will need to make sure the coroner knows your views and you may need to take legal advice."

"Can I stop it?
Bereaved relatives do not have to give consent for a coroner’s post-mortem examination to take place. However, if you feel strongly about this you should speak to the coroner.
If the coroner decides a post-mortem examination is necessary, the only means of stopping it is by a complicated legal procedure called a judicial review. It would be necessary to demonstrate that the coroner’s decision was unreasonable, i.e. because the grounds for wanting a post-mortem were in some way insubstantial. In reality the post-mortem is often carried out very soon after the death and the family may not have sought advice that quickly, or they may not have been informed that it is taking place. The coroner will not release the body for the funeral until the procedures required have been carried out."

"The coroner is only required to inform the relatives of the deceased of the time and place at which the examination is to be made, if the relatives have told the coroner that they wish to be informed. "

Source ^^^

Section 2.2: Post-mortem examination is a worthwhile read. Very informative. JMO

ETA: My guess is that LE are seriously looking at another suspect. A lot of people are murdered and a suspect is charged, yet the body is usually released in a resonable period of time for burial. JMO

“He is walking and talking. Of course he’s very concerned about everything that’s going on, but he appears to be well,” said Patrick Edgerton, a lawyer with the Edmonton-based firm representing Saretzky.

“First is to determine whether or not the accused is fit to stand trial. In a basic sense, that means whether or not he understands what’s going on, understands the court process,” he said.

“The second is to see what his mental state was at the time of the offence, what was going on his head.”

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/assessment-ordered-for-accused-child-killer

Don't these two statements seem to be at odds with each other. If he's very concerned with what's going on, I tend to think he understands what's going on. I know, too simplistic, but just seems like an interesting way to word things.

BBM,

That sounds like an admission of guilt to me. JMO

Everyone seems to have this notion that DS took Hailey at 3:00 am and took her straight to his aunts property and had a bonfire with her remains. I question that because given the proximity, it would be too risky that the aunt would be awakened. My theory is that DS didn't show up at the aunts until Monday morning when he knew she would be at work and he would not have to worry about the glowing fire being noticed in the middle of the night.

Everyone seems to have this notion that DS took Hailey at 3:00 am and took her straight to his aunts property and had a bonfire with her remains. I question that because given the proximity, it would be too risky that the aunt would be awakened. My theory is that DS didn't show up at the aunts until Monday morning when he knew she would be at work and he would not have to worry about the glowing fire being noticed in the middle of the night.

Where does it state that he burned her body..

Not sure if you've looked at the location on google maps, but there is nothing else nearby this location. So if DS did light a fire, it would not really be seen by anyone. However, if he did wait until daylight, then I shudder to think what happened from 3:30 am until then... What we haven't heard is whether DS's aunt was actually at the property at this time.

I've seen reference here at least twice about TB being "stabbed 16 times" and I can't find a link. Could someone post it please?

I've seen reference here at least twice about TB being "stabbed 16 times" and I can't find a link. Could someone post it please?

There is no link spinnaweb ... someone upthread posted that and later said (iirc) to the effect that they didn't know where they got the info from or perhaps they'd just gotten that impression.

In hindsight, I should have removed that initial post, the earlier queries about it, and the original poster's response so as not to confuse :confused: If someone else finds the post, please Alert on it and I will delete it and responses to it. :tyou:

There is no link spinnaweb ... someone upthread posted that and later said (iirc) to the effect that they didn't know where they got the info from or perhaps they'd just gotten that impression.

In hindsight, I should have removed that initial post, the earlier queries about it, and the original poster's response so as not to confuse :confused: If someone else finds the post, please Alert on it and I will delete it and responses to it. :tyou:

That was my post. Sorry. I still am looking for the link for the "16 times" but cannot find it. :( I will delete my post.

My brother lives on the outskirts of town and sometimes he has a fire going on weekend. Burning scrap and pallets. Maybe the aunt did not think this was unusual. Still no hard facts as to what "indignity to the body" is in this case.. :sigh: So sad.

IIRC, it was reported somewhere (I don't have a link at the moment) that the property was vacant at the time. I believe it was reported that it was used as seasonal residence during the summer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487