GUILTY Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I followed this case when it first broke over two years ago and have been reading the tweets from the courtroom daily. Found some times and just thought I would pop in and give my opinion FWIW. DS is nothing but pure evil and likely murdered Hanne and H because he is a sadistic, sexual, deviant who perhaps had grudges or hate against Hanne, C and/or T.

I have no doubt all this BS he fed LE from their first meeting is simply that...BS. I believe he planned and staged everything to appear as though he is insane prior to the murders. He knew there was a chance he was going to get caught so he set it all up to sound and appear as though he is suffering some sort of insanity. From the items found in his apartment to the answers he provided to LE it was planned. Once he got caught he had to play the role, and the fact he asked the officer, "Think I'll have a better chance if I plead insanity? I think I may try." That to me is very telling. He's a coward and knows exactly what could happen to him if he ends up in prison...it's the end of the road for him. He's hoping to spend some time in a mental ward and then possibly end up back out on the streets some day. This has gone through at least a couple professionals to analyze his mental state and I suspect his defense has tried to plea deal claiming he's NCR. Obviously the Crown isn't biting because they know he does not fit the NCR category and they want him to have the maximum sentence possible....and so do I regardless of his mental state.

Myself and many people would like to know his motive. From day one I suspected it was a lover's triangle or paternity issues. Now with the trial I am sensing that DS is nothing but a sexual, sadistic, deviant. Although a rape test was done on Hanne that doesn't mean he didn't rape or sexually violate her. My theory is he chose H as his next victim because the elderly lady did not satisfy him as he hoped, perhaps she put up too much of a struggle or not enough.

To get at H he had to do away with her daddy T. Remember he said T was in bed but still awake when he entered the house. Did he plan on sneaking into the house and leaving with little H but then found T awake in bed and couldn't pull it off so he murdered him to get to H? He could have murdered H right there in the house but he didn't because in my opinion he had plans of raping her before murdering and incinerating her. He took her on dark secluded roads to his family's acreage. How long was it from the time he took her from her crib until he arrived at the acreage? I hope LE can put a timeline on that because it might answer the motive question that DS was asked when taken into police custody...if the devil made him have sex with ?. IMO I believe he did and that is why he burned her body, to cover up the evidence. IMO he is not delusional, schizoid or insane but I'm not a psychiatrist and didn't interview him obviously and I am looking forward to hearing from that professional. The fact that on one hand he said the devil was talking to him and then it was God and they were both telling him to do bad things. At one point he says the devil made him turn H into ashes and then later he said God guided his path telling him where to burn H's remains. So which was it? Where did he murder H? A liar can never keep his story straight. Then he said he can't remember certain details but then comes out with those details. Example: DS said he didn't remember anything about killing T but then goes into detail of how he hit him with the crowbar, choked him with a rope and slit his throat. Then the biggie trying to convince the officer he's NCR...Derek tells McCauley he doesn't want to be put in a straight jacket. And to throw a real doozy into his story trying to be convincing, DS mentions cannibalism....staged with the book found in his apartment.

To me he's nothing but a liar trying to role play insanity, he's pure evil and I think the two female murders were sexually motivated. I don't even know if the Crown will bring such a theory into this trial because in actuality what they have for evidence is suffice, a slam dunk in locking this up for the rest of his life. I guess the facts will come out when a psychiatrist takes the stand on whether DS is insane but at this point I'm not buying it. Again JMO.

Praying for justice for the three victims of this senseless act of evil and may they rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences goes out to the loved one of Hanne, Terry and Hailey. Justice will be served. May the rest of your life be filled with shame, sorrow, regret and pain in prison Derek. You deserve nothing better. ALL MOO.

Ugh. I read about some of this tape evidence last night. My worst fears realized. RIP Hailey, Terry and Hanne.

I've began to wonder about those comments on DS's notebook, "fresh medicine" and "hideous child". They seem to me beyond DS's normal vocabularly ("God works in weird ways" he said). I'm starting to think they're expressions he got from a book or movie or something else that influenced him. I'm completely ignorant of popular culture, so I can't pinpoint it, but perhaps someone else has ideas..

I can't say for sure, I think he comes across as "disturbed" and emotionally immature. True, an insane person doesn't discuss using an insanity defense, but a calculating killer wouldn't discuss it with a police officer, on videotape.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree completely.

I was trying to figure out where he came up with this whole scenario. I think it has come from something he's read or watched. Gaining strength from killing, drinking blood, cannibalism etc., is almost cliche in "vampire movie". I'm getting a vampirism feel here.

Oh, he's sick. Very sick. But, I can't put him in the NCR category. He is too aware and too calculating in his actions for me to conclude NCR.

I hope the jury sees through all this.

MOO

I followed this case when it first broke over two years ago and have been reading the tweets from the courtroom daily. Found some times and just thought I would pop in and give my opinion FWIW. DS is nothing but pure evil and likely murdered Hanne and H because he is a sadistic, sexual, deviant who perhaps had grudges or hate against Hanne, C and/or T.

I have no doubt all this BS he fed LE from their first meeting is simply that...BS. I believe he planned and staged everything to appear as though he is insane prior to the murders. He knew there was a chance he was going to get caught so he set it all up to sound and appear as though he is suffering some sort of insanity. From the items found in his apartment to the answers he provided to LE it was planned. Once he got caught he had to play the role, and the fact he asked the officer, "Think I'll have a better chance if I plead insanity? I think I may try." That to me is very telling. He's a coward and knows exactly what could happen to him if he ends up in prison...it's the end of the road for him. He's hoping to spend some time in a mental ward and then possibly end up back out on the streets some day. This has gone through at least a couple professionals to analyze his mental state and I suspect his defense has tried to plea deal claiming he's NCR. Obviously the Crown isn't biting because they know he does not fit the NCR category and they want him to have the maximum sentence possible....and so do I regardless of his mental state.

Myself and many people would like to know his motive. From day one I suspected it was a lover's triangle or paternity issues. Now with the trial I am sensing that DS is nothing but a sexual, sadistic, deviant. Although a rape test was done on Hanne that doesn't mean he didn't rape or sexually violate her. My theory is he chose H as his next victim because the elderly lady did not satisfy him as he hoped, perhaps she put up too much of a struggle or not enough.

To get at H he had to do away with her daddy T. Remember he said T was in bed but still awake when he entered the house. Did he plan on sneaking into the house and leaving with little H but then found T awake in bed and couldn't pull it off so he murdered him to get to H? He could have murdered H right there in the house but he didn't because in my opinion he had plans of raping her before murdering and incinerating her. He took her on dark secluded roads to his family's acreage. How long was it from the time he took her from her crib until he arrived at the acreage? I hope LE can put a timeline on that because it might answer the motive question that DS was asked when taken into police custody...if the devil made him have sex with ?. IMO I believe he did and that is why he burned her body, to cover up the evidence. IMO he is not delusional, schizoid or insane but I'm not a psychiatrist and didn't interview him obviously and I am looking forward to hearing from that professional. The fact that on one hand he said the devil was talking to him and then it was God and they were both telling him to do bad things. At one point he says the devil made him turn H into ashes and then later he said God guided his path telling him where to burn H's remains. So which was it? Where did he murder H? A liar can never keep his story straight. Then he said he can't remember certain details but then comes out with those details. Example: DS said he didn't remember anything about killing T but then goes into detail of how he hit him with the crowbar, choked him with a rope and slit his throat. Then the biggie trying to convince the officer he's NCR...Derek tells McCauley he doesn't want to be put in a straight jacket. And to throw a real doozy into his story trying to be convincing, DS mentions cannibalism....staged with the book found in his apartment.

To me he's nothing but a liar trying to role play insanity, he's pure evil and I think the two female murders were sexually motivated. I don't even know if the Crown will bring such a theory into this trial because in actuality what they have for evidence is suffice, a slam dunk in locking this up for the rest of his life. I guess the facts will come out when a psychiatrist takes the stand on whether DS is insane but at this point I'm not buying it. Again JMO.

Praying for justice for the three victims of this senseless act of evil and may they rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences goes out to the loved one of Hanne, Terry and Hailey. Justice will be served. May the rest of your life be filled with shame, sorrow, regret and pain in prison Derek. You deserve nothing better. ALL MOO.

Interesting theory. I agree the whole insanity thing feels very, very staged. He's a compulsive and pathological liar.

Re: an NCR plea deal - I don't believe one would "plead out" for an NCR. If one is NCR, they are not guilty of a crime. A plea deal means accepting a lesser conviction - with NCR there is no conviction, as there is no crime.

I really, really hope that doesn't come into play. It seems like the more gruesome, over the top, and extreme your acts are, the better your chances at NCR. Look at Vince Li. He decapitated and ate a person and now he's 100% completely free and clear. No record, no restrictions...he's as free as you and me. It's horrifying.

Listening to McCauley work his magic was both impressive and difficult to stomach. When he expressed that he was "proud" of DS and that he was his "hero", I wanted gag - but it was a brilliant move, as I'm sure that's what led to DS disclosing more details after his initial confession. He played that like a fiddle. The patience and fortitude it would take to remain so calm and collected when sitting across from a monster who's telling you he did these things to a 2 year old child...just wow. I imagine it's extremely difficult to walk away from that and just go home and be normal. It has to take its toll. At the same time, it has to be somewhat gratifying to know you did it - you got the confession. No easy feat, that's for sure. Big respect for those guys.

Interesting theory. I agree the whole insanity thing feels very, very staged. He's a compulsive and pathological liar.

Re: an NCR plea deal - I don't believe one would "plead out" for an NCR. If one is NCR, they are not guilty of a crime. A plea deal means accepting a lesser conviction - with NCR there is no conviction, as there is no crime.

I really, really hope that doesn't come into play. It seems like the more gruesome, over the top, and extreme your acts are, the better your chances at NCR. Look at Vince Li. He decapitated and ate a person and now he's 100% completely free and clear. No record, no restrictions...he's as free as you and me. It's horrifying.

BBM
Exactly. This is my worst fear.

He sure seems nonchalant in describing how he choked that baby girl and drank her blood. I'd like to see his head on a stick. And being all worried about someone hurting him...what a coward. Imagine that 2 year old girl standing there by the fire as he stokes it, getting ready to brutally end her life. He's not even human.

McCauley admitting he didn't believe the demon BS and pretended to be DS's friend to elicit information. This cop is a hero.

On a break - jurors are too upset.

I'm really happy McCauley made it clear to the jury that he didn't believe DS was talking to the devil and that in his opinion it was just a narrative.

I'm really happy McCauley made it clear to the jury that he didn't believe DS was talking to the devil and that in his opinion it was just a narrative.
Yes, this reinforces to them that he's not crazy and is indeed criminally responsible.

The really unfortunate part about all of this, at this juncture, is that it is extremely important to have these confessions put into evidence before the court. As difficult as it is, we have to bear witness to ensure this guy never, AND I MEAN NEVER, sees the light of day again. Every time he comes up for parole or whatever, this evidence will get pulled out and shown again and that will ensure that he's done.

The CBC has chosen not to report on the details of what happened to Hailey at the campsite. Thank you CBC.

I think DS should get Dangerous Offender status. He is beyond belief. No pill or treatment is going to make him able to live amongst us ever again.

MOO

Luke Magnotta tried to plead NCR, it didn't work. Similar to this case, Magnotta was able to function by mailing parcels, flying to Europe, using computers and the internet to read about his own case.

In this case DS was able to make a list of his intended victims, drive, plot to wear gloves and a mask, wait till dead of night, wait for the train to cover noise, go home and clean up, and at least after Hanne's murder, conceal his actions.

Vince Li wandered away from his home with no sign of a plan or purpose, attacked in full view of other passengers, and made no effort to hide from police. I don't see the similarity to this case at all.

Luke Magnotta tried to plead NCR, it didn't work. Similar to this case, Magnotta was able to function by mailing parcels, flying to Europe, using computers and the internet to read about his own case.

In this case DS was able to make a list of his intended victims, drive, plot to wear gloves and a mask, wait till dead of night, wait for the train to cover noise, go home and clean up, and at least after Hanne's murder, conceal his actions.

Vince Li wandered away from his home with no sign of a plan or purpose, attacked in full view of other passengers, and made no effort to hide from police. I don't see the similarity to this case at all.

No, not many similarities save for the cannibalism. I believe Li was indeed totally nuts. But he still shouldn't be a 100% free man. People like that, NCR or not, should never be allowed to walk free again.

But yeah - DS showed planning, intent, premeditation and attempted to conceal his actions. He's a calculating multiple murderer.

[video=twitter;875746773347717121]https://twitter.com/BorsatoSam/status/875746773347717121[/video]
[video=twitter;875746826913161216]https://twitter.com/KMartinCourts/status/875746826913161216[/video]
[video=twitter;875746887222960128]https://twitter.com/PatrickBurles/status/875746887222960128[/video]

"yup"
"as good as I can be"
"um hmm"

I agree.

I don't think his lawyers were ever going for an NCR defense. He passed too many tests indicating he was fully aware of his actions and the consequences. In fact I think they are going to go in the direction that he is making all of this up and is seeking fame and attention. Loner child, no friends, quiet, no real anger issues in the past.

I actually don't believe he did do a lot of what he said in interrogation. It sounds embellished to make it sound like he was possessed by the devil. He had read up on serial killers and knows that some of the ones in the past believed that to be true and killed for that reason

He got caught.

He lied like a psychopath which is what he is.

Says he burned Haileys remains to avoid getting caught... Thought it was the devil/ god who told him to do it *rolling my eyes* he's a horrible liar.

Says he burned Haileys remains to avoid getting caught... Thought it was the devil/ god who told him to do it *rolling my eyes* he's a horrible liar.
He's not only evil and sadistic, he's dumb as a garden tool.

Admitting to concealing or destroying evidence, the mask, burning remains in order to not get caught, killing Terry for payback...he probably should've done some homework before trying to concoct this stupid story in order to get an NCR. He's an imbecile.

I don't buy for a second that he didn't sexually assault Hailey. He was with her for 4 hours before killing her? Doing what?? Sexual assault wouldn't fit in with the demon story though, and he knows that would make him even worse in the public's eye.

!WARNING! GRAPHIC

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 2h2 hours ago
Back testifying is Staff Sgt. Mike McCauley who elicited confessions out of #Saretzky

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 2h2 hours ago
McCauley says his treatment of Saretzky was a tactic to elicit information and like everyone else he thought it was a heinous crime.

McCauley didn't know this at the time but police were already onto the burn site so when he arrived w/ #Saretzky, investigators there

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 2h2 hours ago
McCauley says he changed his demeanor when he went to scene with #Saretzky to indicate he didn't believe the "demon narrative."

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 2h2 hours ago
"You'll notice a change in Mr. Saretzky's behaviour," explains McCauley, saying #Saretzky became more relaxed during reenactment

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 2h2 hours ago
We are planning to watch two more police videos today. The first one is a reenactment. #Saretzky takes officers to site of Hailey's remains.

Nick Kuhl‏ @NKuhlHerald 2h2 hours ago
Court now being shown reenactment video. Jury provided a transcript. #Saretzky

McCauley and #Saretzky are sitting in the back of the police car with a camera on them. Another officer is driving.

McCauley had officer drive around in circles for a bit to make sure no one following. #Saretzky said he feared getting shot at the scene.

Sam Borsato‏ @BorsatoSam 2h2 hours ago
McCauley: "We'll make sure no one is following us, then you can start calling the shots and directing us." #Saretzky

#Saretzky now giving driver directions, with McCauley saying they should take the same route Saretzky did

Vehicle turns west along Highway 3, heading out of Blairmore. #Saretzky

#Saretzky continues to direct officer. They've just turned on to Grassy Mountain Road.

On gravel road, McCauley asks "are we still going the right way?" "Umm hmm," Derek mutters. #Saretzky

Besides that interaction, it has been silence for minutes as they drive. #Saretzky

*NOTE* Looks like there was three different accounts of the same response:

Still mostly silence. McCauley asks Derek if he's "still good." #Saretzky replies with a quiet "yup."

McCauley asks #Saretzky if he's still good. "As good as I can be," the confessed killer says as they drive towards the murder scene.

"Still good?" McCauley asks #Saretzky as they keep driving deeper into woods. Saretzky replies, "Um hmm"

McCauley breaks the silence. "Did you throw the crowbar in the fire too?" "Yes" replied Saretzky.

Quinn Campbell‏Verified account @quinnLcampbell 2h2 hours ago
McCauley, "What were you thinking at this point when you were driving?" #saretzky says,"I didn't know where I was going."

McCauley: "Were you just exploring trying to find the place?" Derek: "Yeah, I didn’t know where i was going." #Saretzky

Derek says he drove randomly looking for a spot. Said he hadn't been there before "that day." #Saretzky

A little over 20-minutes into the video, #Saretzky and three officers arrive at the site.

"I just seen the fire pit was there," #Saretzky says, explaining how he chose the location to stop.

"Is this a campsite?" Asks McCauley. #saretzky says they have arrived. The vehicle stops and they get out.

Jurors were already told #Saretzky aunt & cousin notified police the burn pit was smoking. That's why police already there when they arrive

Briefly stopped the video and McCauley explains vehicles seen in video were police officers who had received a tip about the site.

Video resumes... #Saretzky

"Take me through what happened," McCauley says as they get out of the vehicle #Saretzky

McCauley and #Saretzky are standing at the burn site, it's a low barrel. Picnic tables around it, and a camper

#Saretzky is now standing over the firepit where Hailey's remains were found. "there's some of the books I burned."

There is a fire pit with picnic tables around, Saretzky says "looks like someone had a fire already". Points out books he used to light fire

Standing by the pit. Pointing to where the van had been parked. Taking McCauley to where he got the wood from.

#Saretzky says he got wood from a big pile near the pit. He describes putting Hailey down near the pit while he made fire "decently going."

A yellow child's toy near where Hailey was killed is clearly seen in the video. It tested positive for Hailey's blood. #Saretkzy

"Then I choked her over here" Saretzky says. "I cut her. I drank her blood. I put it in a bottle." #Saretzky

"And then I bled her and drank the blood," #Saretzky says on video.

One of the jury members begins to cry. Crown immediately asks for a break. #Saretzky

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 1h1 hour ago
Court is back after a 45 minute break following some jury distress while watching the reenactment video. #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 60m60 minutes ago
McCauley: What did you do with the rope you choked her with? #Saretzky : Put it in the fire

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 59m59 minutes ago
#Saretzky describing in detail how he dismembered the toddler

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 59m59 minutes ago
#Saretzky says he choked her "and then I cut her into pieces. I cut her head first, arms, legs then back." Says he severed her stomach.

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 58m58 minutes ago
#Saretzky says he ate Hailey's heart. "half of it probably maybe a little more. Thought it would be really healthy for me to gain strength"

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 58m58 minutes ago
Afterwards, he burns Hailey's remains. "Stoked the fire so it got pretty high," says #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 58m58 minutes ago
Said a prayer "God rest your soul .. something along those lines," says #Saretzky

Sam Borsato‏ @BorsatoSam 57m57 minutes ago
Says he also burned the hoodie, pants and boots he was wearing. #Saretzky

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 56m56 minutes ago
#Saretzky is standing beside firepit talking to McCauley in the video. He's talking with his head down, avoiding eye contact.

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 56m56 minutes ago
#Saretzky says he brought a water cooler and thinks he put out the fire after he was finished. First though he threw the knife in the flames

Sam Borsato‏ @BorsatoSam 57m57 minutes ago
#Saretzky & McCauley are standing around the firepit talking about other items that were burned, like a knife and crowbar.

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 56m56 minutes ago
Saretzky threw everything into the firepit including Hailey's cut up remains, a knife, the bottle he used and all his clothing.

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 55m55 minutes ago
#Saretzky says he had hoodie in his backpack he wore when he drove back to Blairmore. Had rubber gloves as well.

Nick Kuhl‏ @NKuhlHerald 55m55 minutes ago
Video zooms to Derek's hands. He's handcuffed and has cuts on his hands. McCauley asking if it happened during killings. #Saretzky

Quinn Campbell‏Verified account @quinnLcampbell 55m55 minutes ago
McCauley asks how #Saretzky got cuts on his hands, he says "I got them here".

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 55m55 minutes ago
How much blood did you have on you? "There wasn't too much to be honest," said Saretzky. Said he cleaned up and showered at his apartment.

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 55m55 minutes ago
#WSaretzky says he didn't keep anything of Hailey's. McCauley asks if he kept any skin, or teeth.

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 55m55 minutes ago
McCauley to #Saretzky: "anything else you want to tell me?" "I was on drugs that night. Dexedrine... I used to be addicted."

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 55m55 minutes ago
"Yeah, I was on drugs," #Saretzky responds when asked. Says he was taking Dexedrine and that he used to "have a real bad problem with them"

Nick Kuhl‏ @NKuhlHerald 56m56 minutes ago
Derek tells McCauley he wasn't drinking night of the killings. But he took dexidrin. They are now back in police vehicle leaving. #Saretzky

Nick Kuhl‏ @NKuhlHerald 55m55 minutes ago
McCauley thanking Derek for having the courage to provide the information he told police. #Saretzky

Sam Borsato‏ @BorsatoSam 55m55 minutes ago
MCauley explains the court process to #Saretzky, saying he has no say in the sentence. Says he believes Derek showed remorse.

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 54m54 minutes ago
Video ends and the Crown says the remainder will be played as audio only #Saretzky

Referenced:
@BillGraveland
@BorsatoSam
@CBCMeg
@CTVKaellaCarr
@KMartinCourts
@NKuhlHerald
@PatrickBurles
@quinnLcampbell

Members online

Online statistics

Members online