GUILTY Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First how can the jury go home for the weekend and try to resume normal life for the weekend after hearing all that like the judge said?
Also can defence use that he was on drugs when he committed the murders as part of their defence? Though, I don't think anything will
Help him at this point.

Whhhhhhy wouldn't he have asked him what his motive was for killing terry and Hailey????? I was sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for this information only to be disappointed and to find out he never went back. :tantrum:

Whhhhhhy wouldn't he have asked him what his motive was for killing terry and Hailey????? I was sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for this information only to be disappointed and to find out he never went back. :tantrum:
I think he might have been worried that he'd bring up the BS devil/god thing again - reinforcing that could lead to an NCR. Conversely, by not mentioning it or giving him an opportunity to say it again - makes it more obvious it was ********. It would've been a real gamble to open that door again imo. I think McCauley knows exactly what he's doing. Also, they don't need to prove motive.

Imo, the motive was that he wanted to sexually assault Hailey. He killed Terry to get access to her. I think we're dealing with a child rapist/murderer.

Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
"I wasn't happy with the situation and I wasn't enjoying where I was," #Saretzkysays about his attempted suicide.

You mean jail isn't the good times whoop it up having a blast experience it's made out to be? Who knew??​

Note that he didn't have any remorse and felt guilty for what he did when he tried to commit suicide. It was all about him...he wasn't happy with the situation and wasn't enjoying where he was. What the heck did he expect? He will never enjoy where he is for the rest of his life. He will never be happy with the situation but he put himself there because he didn't have to do what he did. Sick b*****d.

Note that he didn't have any remorse and felt guilty for what he did when he tried to commit suicide. It was all about him...he wasn't happy with the situation and wasn't enjoying where he was. What the heck did he expect? He will never enjoy where he is for the rest of his life. He will never be happy with the situation but he put himself there because he didn't have to do what he did. Sick b*****d.
Yup. Full on narcissist. And so, soooo stupid.

WARNING - GRAPHIC

Bill Graveland‏Verified account @BillGraveland 2h2 hours ago
Saretzky trial resuming. Jury to see a video of Saretzky being asked about Hanne Meketech. This occurred 6 months after his initial arrest.

Nick Kuhl‏ @NKuhlHerald 2h2 hours ago
Jury back. Video between McCauley and Derek, recorded on March 2, 2016, in Calgary Remand now being shown to court.

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 2h2 hours ago
McCauley says he heard #Saretzky tried to kill himself while in custody

Kaella Carr‏Verified account @CTVKaellaCarr 2h2 hours ago
McCauley telling #Saretzky he doesn't have to be there and can leave anytime. "When I heard you tried to take your life I was upset."

Quinn Campbell‏Verified account @quinnLcampbell 2h2 hours ago
McCauley heard saying to Derek #saretzky that Derek had refused to talk to McCauley for about 6 months (he was in the remand centre)

McCauley notes Derek has lost weight. Accused had gone on hunger strike. #Saretzky

McCauley "I don't want to see anything bad happen to you. You have your whole life ahead of you." He heard #Saretzky hadn't been eating.

Patrick Burles‏ @PatrickBurles 2h2 hours ago
"I'm upset about my family... I miss them," #Saretzky tells McCauley when asked why he went on a hunger strike

McCauley tells #Saretzky his parents love him despite his mistakes.

Sam Borsato‏ @BorsatoSam 2h2 hours ago
Derek is quiet and mumbles through a lot of his answers. Hard to hear at times. #Saretzky

Kevin Martin‏Verified account @KMartinCourts 2h2 hours ago
#Saretzky says for awhile he was refusing visits from his family. "I wasn't ready to see them," he tells McCauley.

McCauley offers #Saretzky outside food. Says prison food must be pretty bland. Saretzky declines

#Saretzky asked if he's angry at McCauley. Says he's not.

The two are talking about #Saretzky getting himself healthy again. Lots of mumbles from the accused

"I wasn't happy with the situation and I wasn't enjoying where I was," #Saretzky says about his attempted suicide.

"I didn't realize the difference between the facilities here and in Lethbridge." #Saretzky says he liked Lethbridge jail better.

McCauley says he wants to help #Saretzky feel better. Offers to bring him books, other things to help pass the time.

#Saretzky says he would like to see one of his brothers. He says he doesn't want to open up to his parents because of "guilt."

"I've thought about you pretty much everyday since we talked (in Sept)," McCauley says #Saretzky

McCauley says he tried to see #Saretzky before but he couldn't because he was doing assessments & then on a hunger strike.

McCauley says he might visit #Saretzky from time to time

"Are you open to me visiting from time to time?" McCauley asks. "Yeah," Derek says.

"I almost feel like a big brother to you" McCauley tells #Saretzky. Earlier he told court he uses tactics to gain trust and obtain info.

McCauley asking #Saretzky how he is doing and how he is holding up. #saretzky

McCauley says he believes #Saretzky went through a messed up time. "I don’t think you’re a bad person set out to to those things."

"I think you went through a bit of a messed up time," McCauley adds, saying he doesn't think #Saretzky is a bad person

McCauley encouraging Derek to read while in prison, rather than sitting with his own thoughts.

McCauley offering beverages/snacks - milkshake, smoothie, chocolate bar

McCauley again offers to get #Saretzky some outside food. Says he wants a Pepsi, but changes his mind thinking it'll be too much trouble.

After agreeing to let McCauley get him a Pepsi, #Saretzky changes his mind, "I don't think it's necessary."

"My family, my grandparents," #Saretzky says when asked what's on his mind

Saretzky says he's been thinking about his family - his grandparents. Says he might like to see them.

#Saretzky says a number of his family members had visited him at the Calgary remand centre.

McCauley tells #Saretzky he'll try to get his grandparents to visit him in jail. They were close friends of Hanne Meketech.

#Saretzky says he doesn't know what's going on in the world so McCauley starts telling him about sports

McCauley asking Derek if he wants to hear what's going on in the world. Talking hockey as Derek says he's a Maple Leafs fan

McCauley tries to loosen #Saretzky up by talking about sport and the news. Fills him in on ISIS terrorism attacks.

McCauley even filled #Saretzky on politics, boldly predicting eight months in advance that Trump was probably going to be US president.

McCauley doing the majority of the talking right now. #Saretzky periodically mumbles a short reply

McCauley tells #Saretzky that his parents are doing better and adjusting to his arrest and charges

McCauley says Saretzky's family is doing better and want to stand behind him. Want him to stay healthy.

McCauley says #Saretzky parents and grandparents are doing well. "Believe their baby boy is still in there.

"They haven't given up on you. They care." McCauley tells #Saretzky about his parents. He says "it's nice to know they still care about me."

In the video McCauley and #Saretzky are sitting facing one another. Knees are inches apart in the small room at the Calgary Remand Centre

#Saretzky mostly sitting in silence, hands on his lap, head turned down. Speaks quietly when he answers McCauley.

McCauley says families of the victims are also adjusting to a "very tough situation."

"Your family are victims of this whole thing too. They've partly lost you too," McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley: "We still care about you. We don’t want you to shrink down to nothing. We want you to get better." #Saretzky

McCauley adds that he doesn't believe in "lock them up and throw away the key" #Saretzky

Derek: "Come to terms with it, but I regret what I’ve done." #Saretzky

"I did terrible things ...I didn’t think about it ...no reason to murder people," says #Saretzky

"I think about their family," #Saretzky says of the victims

"You don't have to live your life feeling bad. I believe you truly regret it." McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley tells #Saretzky it's healthy to think about what he did to the victims. Still trying to get him to open up.

"It doesn't mean you have to give yourself a life sentence of beating yourself up," McCauley says of #Saretzky's guilt

McCauley says it's healthy for Saretzky to think about what he's done and realizes it's been a tough six months for him.

McCauley tells #Saretzky he's likely to feel the same emotions of denial, sadness and anger that the victims will feel.

"You're a good person who did a horrible thing," McCauley tells Saretzky.

"You have a heart, you have a soul. You're not a vicious, terrible killer," McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley: "There’s a difference between a terrible person & a person who did a terrible thing." #Saretzky

McCauley adds, "You're a good person who did a horrible thing." #Saretzky

McCauley says he was able to give some closure to #Saretzky victims' families b/c of the information he was given. Praises Saretzky for that

"It's a really horribly thing that I did..it's unacceptable...I wish I hadn't have done it," says #Saretzky

McCauley, "Do you want me to tell them (grandparents) you’re sorry you killed Hanne Meketech?" #Saretzky says, "Ya".

#Saretzky asked if he wants to apologize to his grandparents for killing Hanne. "Tell them I love them. I want the best for them."

"It was more spur of the moment. Somehow I thought it was ok," #Saretzky tells McCauley of Meketech murder

"I didn’t really think about it, I just went ahead and did it," says #Saretzky of killing Meketech

#Saretzky says his plan was just to go kill Meketech and leave.

"I went and I kicked her door in and I hit her in the head with a bat and stabbed her. No real reason," #Saretzky says.

#Saretzky says he stabbed Hanne Meketech in the neck with a knife twice. Says she was in her bedroom at the time.

#Saretzky says it was around midnight. Meketech was standing in her bedroom without a shirt or pants on.

#Saretzky says Meketech was standing by her closet when he hit her in the head with a baseball bat and stabbed her.

#Saretzky says he used the white Prestige Cleaners' van to get to Meketech's home

"No real reason," said Saretzky who said he stabbed Meketech in the neck twice after hitting her with the bat 3 times on top of the head.

#Saretzky says he hit Meketech in the head three times with a bat. He says she didn't say anything. He put the bat in his apartment after.

[video=twitter;875810329942384640]https://twitter.com/PatrickBurles/status/875810329942384640[/video]

#Saretzky says he put the knife he used in the fire he set to burn little Hailey's body.

#Saretzky says he didn't do anything with Meketech's blood like he did with the other two victims. "I didn't think about it."

"Why did you pick her?" asks McCauley "I didn’t think anybody cared about her," says #Saretzky

"I just got motivated and went and did it. Didn’t think about how it would affect anybody else or myself or my family," says #Saretzky

McCauley "was she the first person you ever killed. Was there anybody else besides those three?" #Saretzky hesitates then says "no."

#Saretzky says he knew her "a little bit" and says she never did anything bad to him

"Was it practice for the next (killing) a little bit?" McCauley asked. "Yeah, I guess so," #Saretzky says.

"So just you figured she was alone ... nobody cared about her so wouldn’t be a big deal?" McCauley asks."Yeah," #Saretzky responds

McCauley, "Do you feel bad about it?" #saretzky says, "Ya, I do."

"I'm proud of you, I really am," McCauley tells #Saretzky after getting confession

McCauley offers #Saretzky lunch again. Says they can continue talking over lunch. Saretzky just wants a Pepsi and some gum

McCauley again trying to make small talk. Says he's going to talk with #Saretzky grandparents.

McCauley now trying to get out of the interview room he's in w/ #Saretzky but can't...calling to get someone to unlock

Also asks for gum & a pepsi for #Saretzky

"Keep to myself," #Saretzky tells McCauley of his time in custody

McCauley encourages #Saretzky to read and talk to people while in jail to keep him sharp.

#Saretzky says he's allowed out into the remand centre yard, but has chosen not to go outside.

Someone finally comes to unlock the door so McCauley can leave and get #Saretzky some gum and a Pepsi.

McCauley steps out briefly. #Saretzky left with another officer.

McCauley says he eventually spoke to #Saretzky grandparents about visiting him, but no during his interview with him about Meketech murder.

McCauley tells Crown partway through the interview he contacted investigators to check in with them #Saretzky

Nine minutes of unfilled air now being skipped ahead in video#Saretzky

McCauley returns with Pepsi and gum for #Saretzky

#Saretzky takes pop and gum from McCauley.

McCauley asks why #Saretzky would use a bat for one murder and a crowbar for the other. Saretzky replies, "I didn't think about it."

#Saretzky doesn't remember Meketech's two dogs. who tracked her blood all over her home after her murder.

"I was on some kind of drug, I'm not sure," says #Saretzky of the night he killed Meketech

"I was on some sort of drug that night. I don't know what it was. I was drinking. I was messed up" says #Saretzky on night he killed Hanne.

#Saretzky asks to go back to his cell and the conversation ends between him and McCauley.

McCauley shakes #Saretzky hand, hopes he will do well and says he'll be back to talk to him. Video ends there.

Defence beginning cross examination of McCauley #Saretzky

Hold back was cause of death, blunt force trauma to the head and the stab wounds to the neck, says McCauley. #Saretzky

Despite his promise, McCauley never went back to interview #Saretzky again.

Just two questions from the defence and the witness is done. Court resumes Monday with Medical examiner & Derek Saretzky's aunt. #Saretzky

@BillGraveland
@BorsatoSam
@CBCMeg
@CTVKaellaCarr
@KMartinCourts
@NKuhlHerald
@PatrickBurles
@quinnLcampbell

Also can defence use that he was on drugs when he committed the murders as part of their defence? Though, I don't think anything will
Help him at this point.

I don't think being on drugs is ever a defense: it's all about intent, ie first degree murder if planned, second degree if it's an out-of-the blue attack on someone who's right there.

To drive to their home with a baseball bat/crowbar, knife, latex gloves, etc, it doesn't matter what he took, there was a murderous intent and he was carrying out, he may have taken the drugs intentionally to energize/charge him up to do it.

Someone who's too drunk or high to know what they're doing can't murder anyone except by hitting them while driving. They stumble around, can't see straight, lose track of what they're doing, and so on.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

WARNING - GRAPHIC

Saretzky trial resuming. Jury to see a video of Saretzky being asked about Hanne Meketech. This occurred 6 months after his initial arrest.

Jury back. Video between McCauley and Derek, recorded on March 2, 2016, in Calgary Remand now being shown to court.

McCauley says he heard #Saretzky tried to kill himself while in custody

McCauley telling #Saretzky he doesn't have to be there and can leave anytime. "When I heard you tried to take your life I was upset."

McCauley heard saying to Derek #saretzky that Derek had refused to talk to McCauley for about 6 months (he was in the remand centre)

McCauley notes Derek has lost weight. Accused had gone on hunger strike. #Saretzky

McCauley "I don't want to see anything bad happen to you. You have your whole life ahead of you." He heard #Saretzky hadn't been eating.

"I'm upset about my family... I miss them," #Saretzky tells McCauley when asked why he went on a hunger strike

McCauley tells #Saretzky his parents love him despite his mistakes.

Derek is quiet and mumbles through a lot of his answers. Hard to hear at times. #Saretzky

#Saretzky says for awhile he was refusing visits from his family. "I wasn't ready to see them," he tells McCauley.

McCauley offers #Saretzky outside food. Says prison food must be pretty bland. Saretzky declines

#Saretzky asked if he's angry at McCauley. Says he's not.

The two are talking about #Saretzky getting himself healthy again. Lots of mumbles from the accused

"I wasn't happy with the situation and I wasn't enjoying where I was," #Saretzky says about his attempted suicide.

"I didn't realize the difference between the facilities here and in Lethbridge." #Saretzky says he liked Lethbridge jail better.

McCauley says he wants to help #Saretzky feel better. Offers to bring him books, other things to help pass the time.

#Saretzky says he would like to see one of his brothers. He says he doesn't want to open up to his parents because of "guilt."

"I've thought about you pretty much everyday since we talked (in Sept)," McCauley says #Saretzky

McCauley says he tried to see #Saretzky before but he couldn't because he was doing assessments & then on a hunger strike.

McCauley says he might visit #Saretzky from time to time

"Are you open to me visiting from time to time?" McCauley asks. "Yeah," Derek says.

"I almost feel like a big brother to you" McCauley tells #Saretzky. Earlier he told court he uses tactics to gain trust and obtain info.

McCauley asking #Saretzky how he is doing and how he is holding up. #saretzky

McCauley says he believes #Saretzky went through a messed up time. "I don’t think you’re a bad person set out to to those things."

"I think you went through a bit of a messed up time," McCauley adds, saying he doesn't think #Saretzky is a bad person

McCauley encouraging Derek to read while in prison, rather than sitting with his own thoughts.

McCauley offering beverages/snacks - milkshake, smoothie, chocolate bar

McCauley again offers to get #Saretzky some outside food. Says he wants a Pepsi, but changes his mind thinking it'll be too much trouble.

After agreeing to let McCauley get him a Pepsi, #Saretzky changes his mind, "I don't think it's necessary."

"My family, my grandparents," #Saretzky says when asked what's on his mind

Saretzky says he's been thinking about his family - his grandparents. Says he might like to see them.

#Saretzky says a number of his family members had visited him at the Calgary remand centre.

McCauley tells #Saretzky he'll try to get his grandparents to visit him in jail. They were close friends of Hanne Meketech.

#Saretzky says he doesn't know what's going on in the world so McCauley starts telling him about sports

McCauley asking Derek if he wants to hear what's going on in the world. Talking hockey as Derek says he's a Maple Leafs fan

McCauley tries to loosen #Saretzky up by talking about sport and the news. Fills him in on ISIS terrorism attacks.

McCauley even filled #Saretzky on politics, boldly predicting eight months in advance that Trump was probably going to be US president.

McCauley doing the majority of the talking right now. #Saretzky periodically mumbles a short reply

McCauley tells #Saretzky that his parents are doing better and adjusting to his arrest and charges

McCauley says Saretzky's family is doing better and want to stand behind him. Want him to stay healthy.

McCauley says #Saretzky parents and grandparents are doing well. "Believe their baby boy is still in there.

"They haven't given up on you. They care." McCauley tells #Saretzky about his parents. He says "it's nice to know they still care about me."

In the video McCauley and #Saretzky are sitting facing one another. Knees are inches apart in the small room at the Calgary Remand Centre

#Saretzky mostly sitting in silence, hands on his lap, head turned down. Speaks quietly when he answers McCauley.

McCauley says families of the victims are also adjusting to a "very tough situation."

"Your family are victims of this whole thing too. They've partly lost you too," McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley: "We still care about you. We don’t want you to shrink down to nothing. We want you to get better." #Saretzky

McCauley adds that he doesn't believe in "lock them up and throw away the key" #Saretzky

Derek: "Come to terms with it, but I regret what I’ve done." #Saretzky

"I did terrible things ...I didn’t think about it ...no reason to murder people," says #Saretzky

"I think about their family," #Saretzky says of the victims

"You don't have to live your life feeling bad. I believe you truly regret it." McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley tells #Saretzky it's healthy to think about what he did to the victims. Still trying to get him to open up.

"It doesn't mean you have to give yourself a life sentence of beating yourself up," McCauley says of #Saretzky's guilt

McCauley says it's healthy for Saretzky to think about what he's done and realizes it's been a tough six months for him.

McCauley tells #Saretzky he's likely to feel the same emotions of denial, sadness and anger that the victims will feel.

"You're a good person who did a horrible thing," McCauley tells Saretzky.

"You have a heart, you have a soul. You're not a vicious, terrible killer," McCauley tells #Saretzky

McCauley: "There’s a difference between a terrible person & a person who did a terrible thing." #Saretzky

McCauley adds, "You're a good person who did a horrible thing." #Saretzky

McCauley says he was able to give some closure to #Saretzky victims' families b/c of the information he was given. Praises Saretzky for that

"It's a really horribly thing that I did..it's unacceptable...I wish I hadn't have done it," says #Saretzky

McCauley, "Do you want me to tell them (grandparents) you’re sorry you killed Hanne Meketech?" #Saretzky says, "Ya".

#Saretzky asked if he wants to apologize to his grandparents for killing Hanne. "Tell them I love them. I want the best for them."

"It was more spur of the moment. Somehow I thought it was ok," #Saretzky tells McCauley of Meketech murder

"I didn’t really think about it, I just went ahead and did it," says #Saretzky of killing Meketech

#Saretzky says his plan was just to go kill Meketech and leave.

"I went and I kicked her door in and I hit her in the head with a bat and stabbed her. No real reason," #Saretzky says.

#Saretzky says he stabbed Hanne Meketech in the neck with a knife twice. Says she was in her bedroom at the time.

#Saretzky says it was around midnight. Meketech was standing in her bedroom without a shirt or pants on.

#Saretzky says Meketech was standing by her closet when he hit her in the head with a baseball bat and stabbed her.

#Saretzky says he used the white Prestige Cleaners' van to get to Meketech's home

"No real reason," said Saretzky who said he stabbed Meketech in the neck twice after hitting her with the bat 3 times on top of the head.

#Saretzky says he hit Meketech in the head three times with a bat. He says she didn't say anything. He put the bat in his apartment after.

[video=twitter;875810329942384640]https://twitter.com/PatrickBurles/status/875810329942384640[/video]

#Saretzky says he put the knife he used in the fire he set to burn little Hailey's body.

#Saretzky says he didn't do anything with Meketech's blood like he did with the other two victims. "I didn't think about it."

"Why did you pick her?" asks McCauley "I didn’t think anybody cared about her," says #Saretzky

"I just got motivated and went and did it. Didn’t think about how it would affect anybody else or myself or my family," says #Saretzky

McCauley "was she the first person you ever killed. Was there anybody else besides those three?" #Saretzky hesitates then says "no."

#Saretzky says he knew her "a little bit" and says she never did anything bad to him

"Was it practice for the next (killing) a little bit?" McCauley asked. "Yeah, I guess so," #Saretzky says.

"So just you figured she was alone ... nobody cared about her so wouldn’t be a big deal?" McCauley asks."Yeah," #Saretzky responds

McCauley, "Do you feel bad about it?" #saretzky says, "Ya, I do."

"I'm proud of you, I really am," McCauley tells #Saretzky after getting confession

McCauley offers #Saretzky lunch again. Says they can continue talking over lunch. Saretzky just wants a Pepsi and some gum

McCauley again trying to make small talk. Says he's going to talk with #Saretzky grandparents.

McCauley now trying to get out of the interview room he's in w/ #Saretzky but can't...calling to get someone to unlock

Also asks for gum & a pepsi for #Saretzky

"Keep to myself," #Saretzky tells McCauley of his time in custody

McCauley encourages #Saretzky to read and talk to people while in jail to keep him sharp.

#Saretzky says he's allowed out into the remand centre yard, but has chosen not to go outside.

Someone finally comes to unlock the door so McCauley can leave and get #Saretzky some gum and a Pepsi.

McCauley steps out briefly. #Saretzky left with another officer.

McCauley says he eventually spoke to #Saretzky grandparents about visiting him, but no during his interview with him about Meketech murder.

McCauley tells Crown partway through the interview he contacted investigators to check in with them #Saretzky

Nine minutes of unfilled air now being skipped ahead in video#Saretzky

McCauley returns with Pepsi and gum for #Saretzky

#Saretzky takes pop and gum from McCauley.

McCauley asks why #Saretzky would use a bat for one murder and a crowbar for the other. Saretzky replies, "I didn't think about it."

#Saretzky doesn't remember Meketech's two dogs. who tracked her blood all over her home after her murder.

"I was on some kind of drug, I'm not sure," says #Saretzky of the night he killed Meketech

"I was on some sort of drug that night. I don't know what it was. I was drinking. I was messed up" says #Saretzky on night he killed Hanne.

#Saretzky asks to go back to his cell and the conversation ends between him and McCauley.

McCauley shakes #Saretzky hand, hopes he will do well and says he'll be back to talk to him. Video ends there.

Defence beginning cross examination of McCauley #Saretzky

Hold back was cause of death, blunt force trauma to the head and the stab wounds to the neck, says McCauley. #Saretzky

Despite his promise, McCauley never went back to interview #Saretzky again.

Just two questions from the defence and the witness is done. Court resumes Monday with Medical examiner & Derek Saretzky's aunt. #Saretzky

@BillGraveland
@BorsatoSam
@CBCMeg
@CTVKaellaCarr
@KMartinCourts
@NKuhlHerald
@PatrickBurles
@quinnLcampbell

Wow. Simply wow. I felt like I was in there with them. These guys who can talk to these killers and find a way "in" are amazing. It reminds me of the interrogation of Russell Williams by Jim Smyth (although Russell Williams was much sharper).

I'm not sure about that comment that he had Hailey for hours: he had to return the van before anyone noticed it missing, or in case he'd be seen driving it. Plus the fire would have taken a lot of time. Perhaps he was talking about the total time he was on the property.

However, his decision to completely destroy Hailey's body jumps out at me as very suspicious, he didn't feel the need to do that with his other victims.

I'm not sure about that comment that he had Hailey for hours: he had to return the van before anyone noticed it missing, or in case he'd be seen driving it. Plus the fire would have taken a lot of time. Perhaps he was talking about the total time he was on the property.

However, his decision to completely destroy Hailey's body jumps out at me as very suspicious, he didn't feel the need to do that with his other victims.

Yes. Exactly.

[video=twitter;875860796621733888]https://twitter.com/PatrickBurles/status/875860796621733888[/video]

However if this was something that he was "interested" in doing, it would have been a lot easier with a 2 year old child...just saying. It might have been morbid curiosity that made him choose to dismember her.

Or is the general thinking that he didn't actually dismember her and he just told that to the detective to throw them off a possible rape?

MOO

Great job by Staff Sgt. Mike McCauley. Too bad it wasn't enough to get DS to plead guilty to all three counts and avoid the horrors of this trial.

Thanks to aber for posting the tweets today. Always makes it easier for those of us who've been out all day to get caught up. :tyou:

However if this was something that he was "interested" in doing, it would have been a lot easier with a 2 year old child...just saying. It might have been morbid curiosity that made him choose to dismember her.

Or is the general thinking that he didn't actually dismember her and he just told that to the detective to throw them off a possible rape?

MOO

No I'm pretty sure he did. There were reports of cut marks in her femurs and ribs

As per the agreed statement of facts:
20-21. At 1947 hours on September 14, 2015, Kevin Saretzky informed the RCMP [...] one of [the Prestige Cleaners vans] had been taken without consent [...] between the between September 13, 2015 and September 14, 2015.

24. (b) Darren Ryplen reported hearing a child cry outside his home between 0320 to 0330 hours on September 14, 2015

September 14th, 2015 was a Monday.

Obviously he would have noticed before 19:47 but (assuming their hours are the same as they are now) they are closed on Sundays and open at 8:30 AM on Monday's. Depends when he would have got to work and depending on the traffic or location of the vans he might not have noticed until later...

From what I recall of the confession he said the following happened: he went in to the home (through an unlocked side door/didn't spend time trying to break in), went to Terry's bedroom, hit him with the crowbar, dragged him to the washroom, used the knife (trying to limit details), decided to leave (maybe Hailey was crying?), took her in the van to the camp site, started the fire, got her out of the van, strangled her, dismembered her, put the remains in the fire along with other evidence, put the fire out with water, [presumably returned the van] and went home and showered.

There's a couple of things problematic with that timeline because a) the fire wasn't put out (I selectively only chose to copy the tweet that included him saying "I think I put the fire out..") and b) you don't put everything in a fire and immediately extinguish it...

c) the van was cleaned or at least wiped down at some point. I don't know if he had a vehicle but the mats [presumably] from the van were found in his room at his mom's place meaning he had to have somehow transported the mats...

I don't know what other evidence is to come but IMO if he had returned the van before being noticed driving it (I think we would have heard that by now had someone noticed it), so say 7 AM.. even if it was 8-9AM... that timeline is really short. I also have a hard time understanding how the (according to agreed statement of facts) remains were so extensively burnt yet burnt books were recognizable... it makes me question whether he might have returned .

Perhaps it's just me trying to avoid thinking that there was a sexual component to his crimes but given the timeline and based on the other two victims, I really don't think there was a sexual motive. I think his response to whether the first victim was practice was similar to whether he was sort of a stepfather... It seems more likely that he just wanted to kill and aside from planning the murders he doesn't seem to have thought about much else. I don't know if he was influenced by drugs, lack of sleep, or trying to keep his own stories straight but obviously his confessions raise a ton of questions...

I think it's really important to note that pleading NOT GUILTY to three counts of first degree murder does not mean he's trying to get a NCR verdict or be found not guilty of the crimes. I think it's most likely that his lawyer will try to argue that he should be convicted of three counts of second degree.

No I'm pretty sure he did. There were reports of cut marks in her femurs and ribs

Agreed Statement of Facts:

42. Dr. Anne Katzenberg, a foresnsic anthropologist, examined the bone and dental fragements from the fire pit and determined that they were from a human between the ages of 2-4 years. The extensive burning made identifying each fragment impossible. Both femoral fragments (left and right) and a rib from the left side of the torso had cut marks made by a tool.

MOO

I think that's a possibility: all his reading about serial killers/Hannibal and whatever else, he maybe wanted to try doing what he'd read about for real.

But rather than just curiosity, I think it's significant that he wrote on the calendar "set me free" in the days leading up to the 9th, when he killed Hanne, and "strength" starting on the 13th. He mentions he 'felt a bit stronger' after Hailey died.

Seems to me that's a clue to what he was after, a sense of being free and strong. Whatever that meant. Stunningly stupid way of going about it, since he'll be locked up for the rest of his life and reviled as the lowest class of loser in the human race.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litewrker23
Back