GUILTY Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"My Lord, we as a collective jury request we be allowed to remain a group of 14," the jurors asked in their note to Tilleman.

"We feel ... we have a right to closure."

After that note was sent to the judge through the court clerk, jurors composed a second missive, requesting a private meeting with the judge and lawyers.

"We humbly ask to discuss the matter of 14 jurors in private with yourself, the defence counsel and the Crown," they wrote, asking that the meeting be held in the absence of the public and Saretzky.

Awwww.....
So tough.

Hugs to the jury - all 14 of them!

What kind of man? Puzzled.
It's up to him - 25, 50 or 75 years before parole eligibility. If he gives him 25 - Sartezky will be eligible to come out when he's still in his 40's - and still a killer with a bloodlust. I want to see if he has the gumption to do what the Judge in the Garland case did - 75 before PE. That would be the just thing, imo. The consecutive sentencing is a relatively new thing in Canada, and I have a feeling it's something many Judges are hesitant to use. From what I've seen Canadian Judges are quite lenient.

Well, I guess DS isn't going to be in a "happy place" for 75 years if the Judge Decides to go with the Jury's recommendation. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow....go out for one day and look how much I missed! I guess the jury did not feel the need to go over the questions that the defence put to them. That was quick...very quick. Between that and their plea to remain together to "see it though", I sure hope this unusual response from the jury does not open up an avenue for appeal.

Other than that...yay for guilty on all four counts. No matter how much time the jury may have spent discussing the case, the defence questions and the evidence, I don't think it would have turned out any other way regardless. I hope he gets consecutive sentences and gets to make google eyes with DG wherever they both may end up.

MOO

[video=twitter;880261446000455680]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/880261446000455680[/video]

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 13h13 hours ago
Jurors in Derek #Saretzky about to receive their final instructions on how to apply the law to their deliberations before being sequestered

Instructions being delivered by Court of Queen's Bench Justice William Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman: One thing the Crown does not have to prove is motive #Saretzky

Tilleman: jurors might have questions about #Saretzky mental fitness. Says they are not to concern themselves with that. It's a legal issue

#Saretzky mental fitness has already been addressed by lawyers and the judge, says Tilleman. It is not at issue.

Accept the law from me without question, says Tilleman.
Use your common sense. #Saretzky

Tilleman: Only consider evidence put before you in this court. Jurors must disregard any info from media, social media, other ppl #Saretzky

Jurors must be unanimous in their verdict, says Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman speaking about presumption of innocence. Crown bears burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt #Saretzky

You must look at the evidence as a whole, not individual pieces, says Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman tells jurors to accept the facts in the agreed statement of facts which was read aloud on the first day of trial #Saretzky

Tilleman is reviewing some expert evidence like blood spatter, medical examiner testimony #Saretzky

Exhibits will be available to jurors in jury room, says Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman tells jurors #Saretzky can only be held responsible for what HE says on confession videos, not others (police)

Re. List of names on paper.
Tilleman: It is up to you to decide what that means. This is a piece of circumstantial evidence #Saretzky

Tilleman: Similarities between Meketech and Blanchette killings are not to be used in considering the charge related to Hailey. #Saretzky

Jurors can consider whether there's a distinct pattern in Meketech & Blanchette killings #Saretzky

Even if jurors find #Saretzky is guilty of one or more of the offences, doesn't mean he's automatically guilty of all charges, says Tilleman

Tilleman reviewing the agreed statement of facts #Saretzky

Tilleman: guilt on 1st-degree jurors must find there was unlawful act + actions caused death + intent + planned & deliberate #Saretzky

If jurors find #Saretzky meant to kill but it was not planned and deliberate, they should convict of 2nd-degree murder, says Tilleman

Tilleman reviewing elements which would make Meketech's killing a 1st-degree murder (same as others, planning, intent, etc.) #Saretzky

We are 70+ minutes into this final jury instruction #Saretzky

Re. charge related to Hailey's death: Much the same but kidnapping/confinement is an element that can elevate murder to 1st-degree #Saretzky

Deliberations: If you have questions, send via letter in envelope, they will be addressed, says Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman says the options on murder charges are: Guilty of 1st degree, not guilty, gulty of 2nd degree #Saretzky

You do not give reasons for your decision, says Tilleman #Saretzky

Tilleman now addressing questions raised by jury on Monday. They want to remain a panel of 14 #Saretzky

Nope, Crown wants to talk to judge first. Short break #Saretzky

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 11h11 hours ago
Jury back in the courtroom now #Saretzky

Tilleman tells them he missed a page of his final instructions. Will go over that now #Saretzky

The bulk of the skipped page deals w/ Crown's position: That #Saretzky is guilty of 3x 1st-degree murder + indignity to Hailey's body

Tilleman's instruction is now complete. Back to addressing jury's question (via letter on Monday) about remaining panel of 14 #Saretzky

Tilleman: I understand your desire to want to deliberate as a panel of 14 ...I know this is important to you #Saretzky

"I must follow the law," Tilleman says there is no wiggle room here #Saretzky

Two jurors must be dismissed, only 12 can deliberate #Saretzky

Random draw will happen after short break #Saretzky

Jury had also asked to discuss privately but judge couldn't do that either. Had to happen in open court #Saretzky

Imagine after sitting through evidence, it would be very difficult not to participate in outcome #Saretzky

Jury back in courtroom, random draw about to take place where 2 of the 14 will be excused & remaining 12 will begin deliberations #Saretzky

Judge: Juror numbers have been written on cards. Two #s will be drawn from a box. Those two will be dismissed #Saretzky

Whether participating in deliberations or not, each juror an important part of process, Tilleman says #Saretzky

Jurors 5 & 11 are dismissed #Saretzky

WOW, one juror is yelling at the judge "It's not right to treat ppl this way." #Saretzky

You have us come against our will and then show us the door, she says. It's not right. Says they needed closure #Saretzky

Jury has been dismissed but has not yet been told by jury guard to begin deliberations. Clock hasn't yet started #Saretzky

Jurors now being told to begin deliberating 12:51 #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 10h10 hours ago
For those who've been asking, I can now tell you at least 2 psych done on #Saretzky - both found he was not candidate for NCR defence

That should read *Psych ASSESSMENTS #Saretzky

2 dismissed jurors just came outside courthouse. Woman who admonished judge said she's too emotional to do invu now but may later #Saretzky

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 7h7 hours ago
BREAKING: There is a verdict in Derek #Saretzky murder trial

Interested parties (lawyers, police, media) are gathered outside the courtroom which is still locked #Saretzky

Courtroom open now #Saretzky

Derek #Saretzky has been brought in courtroom, appears to have a big smirk or smile on his face

Judge in courtroom now #Saretzky

Clerk went to fetch the jury a few minutes ago...not sure what the delay is #Saretzky

Judge just told everyone to sit. No idea why it's taking so long to get jury into courtroom #Saretzky

Here they are #Saretzky

BREAKING: Derek #Saretzky guilty of 1st-degree murder in death of Terry Blanchette

BREAKING: Derek #Saretzky guilty of 1st-degree murder in death of Hailey Dunbar-Blamchette, 2

BREAKING: Derek #Saretzky guilty indignity to body of Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette

BREAKING: Derek #Saretzky guilty of 1st-degree murder in death of Hanne Meketech

BREAKING: Derek #Saretzky guilty on all three charges of 1st-degree murder and a charge of indignity to a body

Jurors allowed to make recommendation on whether #Saretzky will face consecutive parole ineligibilities. Gets automatic life sentence

Couldn't see much of a reaction from #Saretzky - he's biting his nails now

Derek #Saretzky could face life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years if parole ineligibilities are served consecutively

Jurors excused for a few minutes before they're canvassed on sentence recommendation #Saretzky

One of Hanne Meketech's friends sobbed as verdicts read. #Saretzky previously said he chose her because he didn't think she'd be missed

Judge and lawyers back in court to deal w/ what judge will say to jurors about parole ineligibility recommendation #Saretzky

Jurors back in courtroom #Saretzky

Judge: I know you've been through a great deal #Saretzky

Judge: Parole ineligibility can be served consecutively or concurrently. Jurors can each make recommendation. #Saretzky

Jurors get a few minutes in jury room to make their decision #Saretzky

Court reconvening to hear jurors' recommendations on parole ineligibility for Derek #Saretzky

Derek #Saretzky back in the courtroom. Waiting on judge and jury now

Judge is here now, clerk has gone to fetch jurors #Saretzky

All 12 jurors recommend #Saretzky serve three consecutive 25 year parole ineligibilities on his life sentence

#Saretzky will serve life sentence, jurors say he should be able to apply for parole for 75 years. Judge will ultimately decide

Jurors dismissed but invited to return for sentencing. Likely tomorrow #Saretzky

Crown to judge: There are victim impact statements. One or two of the victims' relatives wish to read their aloud #Saretzky

Crown suggests sentencing hearing takes place at 10am tomorrow #Saretzky

[video=twitter;880229421596033024]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/880229421596033024[/video]

[video=twitter;880229841882071040]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/880229841882071040[/video]

Meghan Grant‏Verified account @CBCMeg 4h4 hours ago
Edgerton asked if this was a tough case for him. Says this is what he signed up for...everyone entitled to a fair trial. #Saretzky

Raffy Boudjikanian‏Verified account @CBCRaffy
Edgerton did not want to talk about possibility of appeal, his client's emotional state when asked by my colleague @CBCMeg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-triple-murder-trial-blanchette-families-1.4180532

Sorry if this was posted earlier. I haven't had a chance to look and I've got to run.

What a wonderful article. What a wonderful statement this is to the quality of the Blanchette family. They reached out to the Saretzky family.

And how difficult must it have been for the murderer's father to encourage his son to turn himself in and testify against him.

So many good people in such a terrible circumstance.

:grouphug:

<modsnip> What an amazing and refreshing response from both families here. Both are hurting but are helping each other to heal by acknowledging who is responsible for this tragedy and helping to bring him to justice.

MOO

Nancy Hixt&#8207;Verified account @NancyHixt [video=twitter;880462011368226816]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/880462011368226816[/video] More

Meketech's sole beneficiary to her estate was the Ronald McDonald house #Saretzky

Bless her soul. Xo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/derek-saretzky-triple-murder-trial-blanchette-families-1.4180532

Sorry if this was posted earlier. I haven't had a chance to look and I've got to run.

What a wonderful article. What a wonderful statement this is to the quality of the Blanchette family. They reached out to the Saretzky family.

And how difficult must it have been for the murderer's father to encourage his son to turn himself in and testify against him.

So many good people in such a terrible circumstance.

:grouphug:

This could be said to be an argument for nature in the nature vs nurture debate...clearly this murderer's father has a solid moral compass.

Of course there's no way for us to know exactly how the murderer was raised, but it would appear that his father taught him right from wrong and stood by his teachings even at a great personal cost.

I hope both families can find some sort of peace.

Nancy Hixt&#8207;Verified account @NancyHixt [video=twitter;880464396983521280]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/880464396983521280[/video]

In reflection of the glass in the prisoners box, #Saretzky smiles. A stark contrast to the tears and pain of the victims as statements read

How can someone be so evil? I will never understand.

Nancy Hixt&#8207;Verified account @NancyHixt [video=twitter;880464396983521280]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/880464396983521280[/video]

In reflection of the glass in the prisoners box, #Saretzky smiles. A stark contrast to the tears and pain of the victims as statements read

How can someone be so evil? I will never understand.
It's unfathomable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back