GUILTY Canada - Tess Richey, 22, Toronto, 25 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
image.jpg

Kalen Schlatter appears in court on Jan. 30, 2020. (John Mantha/CTV News Toronto)

Video shows Schlatter, Richey walking together on night she went missing
Feb 20 2020
TORONTO - Security footage presented at a Toronto man's murder trial shows him walking hand-in-hand with the woman he's accused of killing on the night she disappeared.

In the video, Kalen Schlatter can be seen with Tess Richey at 4:14 a.m. on Nov. 25, 2017, heading down an alley towards the area where her body was later found.

Another clip played in court Thursday shows Schlatter walking back up the alley alone roughly 45 minutes later.

Feb 21 2020
Defence draws attention to other man seen on the night Tess Richey disappeared
''TORONTO -- Lawyers for a Toronto man accused of strangling a young woman more than two years ago are drawing attention to another man seen in the area that night.

Defence lawyers for Kalen Schlatter are raising questions about a man dressed in a hooded winter coat and light pink trucker hat who also appears in some security videos from the area where Tess Richey was last seen on Nov. 25, 2017.

They are cross-examining a Toronto police homicide detective who reviewed hours of footage from a number of security cameras as part of the investigation into Richey's death''

''On Thursday, court saw footage that showed Schlatter and Richey walking together at 4:14 a.m., heading into an alley towards the area where her body was found.

The video shows Schlatter come out of the alley alone roughly 45 minutes later.

The officer who examined the video, Det. Stephen Matthews, told the court he watched for at least two hours after that and did not see anyone going to or from that area, nor did he see Richey emerge.''

Feb 21 2020
Defence draws attention to other man seen on the night Tess Richey disappeared
'
''On Thursday, court saw footage that showed Schlatter and Richey walking together at 4:14 a.m., heading into an alley towards the area where her body was found.

The video shows Schlatter come out of the alley alone roughly 45 minutes later.

The officer who examined the video, Det. Stephen Matthews, told the court he watched for at least two hours after that and did not see anyone going to or from that area, nor did he see Richey emerge.''

Together with the DNA, there is so much compelling evidence against the accused. I'm amazed there wasn't an insanity defence. Wonder if his counsel tried to persuade him but couldn't?

Together with the DNA, there is so much compelling evidence against the accused. I'm amazed there wasn't an insanity defence. Wonder if his counsel tried to persuade him but couldn't?

From the conversations he had with the undercover officers whilst he was in custody he sounds extremely self assured/arrogant/cocky.

Probably thinks he can get away with it somehow.

Feb 25 2020 rbbm.
MANDEL: Accused killer a busy phone Casanova after Tess Richey’s murder
''Within hours of leaving Tess Richey alone in a stairwell, Kalen Schlatter was having flirtatious text conversations with several different women as well as sending a full-frontal nude photo of himself.

At attention, shall we say.

Jurors at his first-degree murder trial were shown excerpts — though they were spared the “dick pic” — that were recovered from Schlatter’s Samsung Galaxy smartphone after he was arrested Feb. 4, 2018, 10 weeks after Richey was found murdered.''

''As Schlatter earlier texted another woman just a few days before: “I live with my family but nudity doesn’t bother any of us.”

Court heard Schlatter had several dating apps on his phone including Tinder, OkCupid and Bumble. As he busily pursued several women in the hours after Richey was last seen in his company, his light-hearted banter only appeared to waver once.
“I’m so sorry but can we forget I asked,” reads a text from his phone to “Catherine” at 9:46 p.m. on Nov. 26, 2017 — some 40 hours after he was videotaped walking with Richey toward the dark stairwell.

“This weekend has been the worst for me and I’ve been so stressed out.”

According to Toronto Police Det. Const. Nandino Garcia, that message and every text sent and received on the day the Crown alleges he murdered Richey had been deleted from Schlatter’s phone.''

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Tess Richey's final moments with accused killer?
•Feb 26, 2020

(SBM)

Oh, that is so hard to watch.... So many young women in the city could be Tess....

I'm not so young anymore, but 15 or 20 years ago this could have been any of my crew. We'd be out with friends - dancing, meet people, chatting it up when you spill out into the street after the bar/club.

It wouldn't be totally unusual to end up at some after-party or even just back at someone's place with a small group, with people you just met, for more drinks etc. Often there would be at least one mutual friend, but not always. Cripes, when I was living right in the downtown core, I even walked home alone from the bars/clubs at 3 or 4 am a handful of times, with a false sense of security from pedestrian traffic in the area.

Part of it is clouded judgement from drinking, but a big part of it is simply assuming good in people...

Witness with criminal record says man accused of killing Tess Richey confessed while in prison
Tuesday, March 3, 2020 2:31PM EST
'TORONTO -- WARNING: This story contains graphic details that might be disturbing to some readers

A man with a lengthy criminal record testified that Kalen Schlatter confessed to strangling 22-year-old Tess Richey with a scarf in November 2017 while the pair were cellmates at a Toronto prison last year.''

''According to his testimony, E.S. and Schlatter were placed in the same cell in 2018. During this time, E.S. said he “absolutely got to know” the now-23-year-old.

When Schlatter, who has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, moved into the cell, E.S. said the “young guy” seemed “scared, but happy to be in a cell where he felt safe.”

At first, E.S. said, the pair spoke about what was for dinner each night and what was on TV. He said the conversation soon turned to why they were both in prison, noting that “everyone’s story comes out eventually.”

''Witness says conversation with Schlatter ‘freaked him out’

While in custody, E.S. said Schlatter told him that he met Richey while leaving a bar in the Church-Wellesley Village called Crews and Tangos and at the time he was high on MDMA, edibles and had been drinking.''

“He got worked up and was sexually aroused… it freaked me out.”

''E.S. said Schlatter told him that he then took a taxi halfway to his house because he was concerned about being traced and then took an Uber the rest of the way home.''

''While in the cell together, E.S. said he and Schlatter would “brainstorm ideas” as to other ways Richey could have died, including by suicide or someone else coming to kill her after he left the area. But then E.S. said he felt the need to come forward about what he and Schlatter talked about.''

TWEETS FOLLOW ARTICLE.. rbbm this ticks me off to no end, insult to injury, imo.
''E.S. says Schlatter told him that he took $60 from Tess Richey's purse for cab fare home and a "chain necklace" as he was leaving the outdoor stairwell.''

DBM

I was going to attempt posting MSM tweets from the trial, but apparently it's much trickier than I anticipated. :eek::(

How do you get the date/time stamp in there? Ergh.

Anyhow, Adam Carter is live-tweeting from court:

Adam Carter on Twitter

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kalen-schlatter-tess-richey-trial-1.5485052
Warning: This story contains graphic details
Adam Carter · CBC News · Posted: Mar 04, 2020 12:15 PM ET

''A man who once shared a cell with accused killer Kalen Schlatter fumed, sighed and swore in the witness box Wednesday as his cross-examination from Schlatter's defence lawyer stretched into its second day.

The mood in the courtroom was exceptionally tense as the witness, who can only be referred to as E.S. because of a publication ban, was questioned by lawyer Lydia Riva, who asked him about his lengthy criminal record over and over again.

E.S. was very clearly agitated, and repeatedly insinuated that Riva was a bad lawyer. At some points the judge, witness and both sets of lawyers ended up talking over each other as objections flew.

"You're wasting everybody's time here ... you don't have to make me look like a bad person. I'm a bad person," the witness said. "I'm not the bad guy for this trial."

"My record is horrible," the witness later said. "I commit crimes, I don't kill people."

On the subject of jailhouse information and whether it's considered hearsay or not, the law in Canada is much looser than the law in the US. I'm pretty much always surprised just how much so every time I dip into it.

In the US, it's pretty likely the admissibility of those statements would be challenged. Self-incriminating statements are more or less always expected to be recorded here. In cases where statements are not recorded, there will almost always need be corroborating physical evidence and even that is beginning to be challenged since the "jailhouse informant" culture has been shown to be spiraling. Convicts with nothing but time on their hands and increasing indoctrination into the legal system can engineer information that while actually false or mostly false might tend to be supported by physical evidence they may also be aware of unbeknownst to investigators who may not even know where that information originally came from.

In Canada, the current law is simply that if hearsay is "reliable and necessary" it is admissible. A law enforcement officer is automatically presumed reliable and since it places Schlatter at the scene of the crime it can be considered necessary so it's admissible, period. Never mind the additional context of his supposed coldness about Tess's death being in conflict with his reactions in court and during official questioning. I've had girls I've made passing contact with end up dead and I would definitely have different reactions to it in casual conversation with my peers than I would if presented with details of their final moments and photos of their decomposing corpses.

Of course, in none of those cases was I anywhere near or in any possible way involved in their deaths so I can't say how that might have effected my perspective or attitude in either conversation and in cases where I was initially identified as a person of interest (internally to the investigation) I was quickly eliminated as an actual suspect. I don't know how much my reaction to that initial police contact contributed to the elimination versus the pure facts but I feel pretty damn sure that if I was taken into custody any statements I made anywhere would have been recorded.

It's a shame the jury in this case, in the year 2020, is being denied the opportunity to directly evaluate Schlatter's jail cell statements - a second clear failing of law enforcement on top of the poor initial search effort (I suspect Tess's mother moved the body before the scene was investigated). This is a case built on circumstantial evidence and in that sort of case, the jury's perception of the defendant's character is crucial. That circumstantial evidence is strong but as I said before this twiddly nerd really does not seem like a killer. I certainly wouldn't be afraid alone in a dark alley with him and if I was a juror I think I could pretty easily be convinced there was reasonable doubt that he killed her as opposed to her maybe just drunkenly falling down the stairs.
The autopsy shows that she had marks around her neck (broken blood vessels, etc.) that indicate she most likely was strangled by something--so falling down the stairs is not going to be a convincing argument.

The autopsy shows that she had marks around her neck (broken blood vessels, etc.) that indicate she most likely was strangled by something--so falling down the stairs is not going to be a convincing argument.
I see the link at the top of this page. Between that and the jailhouse informant offering up scarf as the murder weapon I'm convinced but will all 12 members of a jury be? Or however many they use in Canada.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back