Canada - Tina Fontaine, 15, found dead in Red River, Winnipeg, 8 Aug 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jury finds Raymond Cormier not guilty in death of Tina Fontaine
Trial lasted just over 3 weeks, defence did not call any evidence
Feb 22, 2018 4:29 PM CT Last Updated: Feb 22, 2018 5:35 PM CT

After the verdict was delivered, people in the crowd burst into tears and gasps of disbelief were heard from members of the teen girl's family and supporters. Her biological mother, Valentina Duck, swore at Cormier before walking out of the courtroom.

"F--k you if you think you can get away with this," Duck said.

As Cormier was led out of the court room, Tina's great-aunt, Thelma Favel, also yelled at him.

Full article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/raymond-cormier-trial-verdict-tina-fontaine-1.4542319

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...youth-will-be-dedicated-to-tina-fontaine.html
WINNIPEG—A 24-hour safe space for youth is being dedicated to the memory of a 15-year-old Manitoba Indigenous girl whose body was found in the Red River.

Indigenous Services Minister Jane Philpott announced almost $350,000 in funding Tuesday to expand the program at Ndinawe Youth Resource Centre in Winnipeg.

Tina’s great-aunt, Thelma Favel, said the family worked with local organizations and the federal government to get the funding in her honour.
“It was Tina’s dream to work with children and that’s why we decided a safe haven would be good in her honour,” Favel said.

'Out of the tragedy, some goodness': Tina Fontaine's school honours slain teen with mural | CBC News

The school where Tina Fontaine spent much of her youth has memorialized her with a mural, four years after the 15-year-old was found dead in the Red River in Winnipeg.

The painting in a hallway at Powerview School shows Fontaine standing in a long red dress. She's surrounded by a golden glow, with a lakeshore and a flock of birds in flight at her side.

Larry Sharpe, the vice-principal of the school, said the mural, by Indigenous artist Shawna Grapentine, was a way to honour the teen, a member of nearby Sagkeeng First Nation, and all other missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

Beautiful, what a wonderful idea!
tina-fontaine-mural.jpg

The mural shows Tina Fontaine near a lake, with a flock of birds in flight at her side. (Jaison Empson/CBC)

"Larry Sharpe, the vice-principal of the school, said the mural, by Indigenous artist Shawna Grapentine, was a way to honour the teen, a member of nearby Sagkeeng First Nation, and all other missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

"I think it's important that, if we want people to acknowledge something as important as missing and murdered Indigenous women, that we have to do [it] at the school level. We have to do at the community level," Sharpe said.

"And so I thought here would be a good place to start."

Children's advocate to release report on Tina Fontaine's death
March 12 2019
"The Manitoba children’s advocate is to release a highly-anticipated report Tuesday detailing the investigation into the death of a First Nations teen whose body was found in the Red River."

"Favel remembers Tina as kind, funny and healthy, weighing more than 100 pounds when she left for the city. Her body weighed 72 pounds when it was pulled from the river."

"During the second-degree murder trial for Raymond Cormier — the man acquitted last year in Tina’s death — court heard details about what happened in the weeks after she left the First Nation.

The teenager was placed in a hotel by social workers. She spent time on the streets and was sexually exploited. She was also treated at a hospital, interacted with police and called 911."

'She was everything to me': Tina Fontaine's tragic death prompts call for change

Thelma Favel still keeps her grandniece Tina Fontaine’s room exactly the way she left it more than six years ago.

“I don’t even want to touch anything in here, like to paint it, because this was her room,” Favel said.

“She was everything to me.”

Favel cared for Fontaine for most of the 15-year-old’s life. She took her in after Fontaine’s father was diagnosed with cancer. He was later beaten to death.

Fontaine went missing in July 2014, after leaving for a visit to see her mother in Winnipeg.

“She asked me if she can go spend a week … with their mom. I told her, ‘If your grades go up’,” Favel said. “She kept up her end of the bargain. So I had to.”

“And she said, ‘I’ll see you in a week’… That’s the last I ever spoke to Tina.”

In August of that year, Fontaine’s body was found wrapped in plastic and a duvet cover in Winnipeg’s Red River.

After a year-and-a-half investigation, police arrested and charged Raymond Cormier, 53, with second-degree murder. In February 2018, a jury found him not guilty.

After the trial ended, more than 1,000 people marched for change in honour of Fontaine. Her death led to renewed calls for a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women.

Favel still talks to Tina everyday through a big picture of her hanging in her living room.

“I get up in the morning. I say, ‘Good morning, my baby.’ And when I go to bed at night, I’ll say, ‘Good night. I’ll see you in the morning.'”

“To me she’s not really gone. She lives in my heart. And she’ll always be alive,” Favel said.

According to a report into Fontaine’s death, the teen asked for help in the weeks before she was found dead in the Red River, but social agencies told her there were no beds available.

The report by Manitoba children’s advocate, Daphne Penrose, said that essentially left Fontaine homeless and at risk for sexual exploitation.

The child advocate’s report also looked into the sexual exploitation of the province’s youth — something Penrose said Manitoba has a “shameful reputation for.”

Penrose made five recommendations, which she said need to be acted on quickly because children and youth are still facing the same risks and getting the same responses as Fontaine.

Jul 23, 2024 #aptnmanitoba
For nearly a decade, Thelma Favel has kept the curtains in her living room closed.It stops her from looking out the window and waiting for her grand-niece Tina Fontaine to come home.Tina was from Sagkeeng Anicinabe Nation, 120 km north of Winnipeg, where Favel still lives today. Her body was discovered in Winnipeg’s Red River on Aug. 17, 2014, wrapped in plastic and a duvet cover. She has been reported missing on July 17, 2014.She was just 15 years old.Read more: https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news.

Aug 10 '24

1723306339042.png
Tina Fontaine was just 15 years old when her 72-pound body was found in the Red River near the Alexander Docks in downtown Winnipeg wrapped in plastic and a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks, on the afternoon of Aug. 17, 2014. Photo by handout
''Saturday marks the 10-year anniversary of the day it’s believed the girl from Sagkeeng Anicinabe Nation died.
Elroy Fontaine plans to honour the day by hosting a candlelight vigil where Tina’s body was discovered.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsjesse
Back