Identified! Canada - Tofield, AB, 'Septic Tank Sam' Ntv/WhtMale 1046UMAB, Apr'77 - Gordon Edwin Sanderson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh my god... Are all those cuts on the clothing done by the killers? Or was it a result of the decomposition? I can see that part of the pants got ripped off! Right where his shoe is!

Sadly I think so :(. These clothes were far better preserved than I even imagined. If you look close enough you can differentiate the areas of butane and cigarette burns vs the slashes by knife or shears. What was done to the private area is so uncalled for! I don't think this person did anything to deserve going THAT far! That's cruelty to the extreme like why couldn't you have just shot him?! The empath in me has a hard time with it... also those poor folks involved in discovering and retrieving this body must have had nightmares for decades!

Is Edward Arcand the only official rule out or has the RCMP made officials statements on other suggestions?

Is Edward Arcand the only official rule out or has the RCMP made officials statements on other suggestions?

I can’t recall but I’m sure that most of the suggestions on this thread have been submitted and ruled out by the RCMP.

OK guys I submitted the tip but also ran into something that stopped my heart last night!

I decided to do that free trial of newspapers.com to see what I could find on John Begolo. This article here gave me chills! Reason being is not only did it clarify that John Begolo was a drifter, had a drinking problem, and a whole lot of personal difficulties before going missing from the tavern that night, but also because he once owned a successful trucking company! I think that definitely adds to the possibility of Alberta area ties. However the most concerning part of ALL is that in 1995 they dug up wells because of some tip that lead them to believe he could be found in closed up well belonging to a house that is now torn down! WHO gave that tip?!!!

Was this the killer frustrated that the case had gone cold and wanted spice up interest again? Did the police misinterpret "well" and "torn down house" for what was really a "septic tank" and "abandoned farmhouse" thousands of miles away?

In a bit, I will also will be posting some articles that tell more about Septic Tank Sam and one I found particularly interesting because it mentions him being burned all the way down the sleeves stoping short of the wrists...coincidentally John Begolo had quite a few tattoos on his forearms!

Also I hadn't realized that that clay reconstruction of Sam contains his real skull and teeth. John Begolo's missing persons profile said his teeth had "visible decay" (as does the teeth set in the clay model) Coincidentally the decay is in the front teeth which would make it much more visible to people.

Attached is the article! View attachment 231892 View attachment 231893

Something seems off with the story from the friends Begolo was with that night. The article says they were in Douglas and were all going to the Renfrew Fair but made a stop at Eganville to go to a tavern first. At the tavern, they got into a spat and Begolo was last seen drinking there.

As I read that, I was like "why go to Eganville if you'regoing from Douglas to Renfrew? Eganville is the opposite direction and Renfrew has it's own taverns to go to … and a beer tent at the fair.

I live in Arnprior which is southwest of all three of the other locations - all on a direct route to here and a drive I've done numerous times. Furthest northwest is Eganville, drive 15 minutes southwest to Douglas, keep driving 15 minutes further southwest to Renfrew. From Renfrew, it's about 20 minutes to my place. Douglas is still very rural and was more-so back then. I know it's only a 15 minute drive in the opposite direction thn they were apparently heading, but why? There was no need to go there if one wanted a drink.

It makes me curious to know if it were only his 'friends' who he was with who last saw/reported him in Eganville to drink. Are there any independent and 'not involved' witnesses to him actually being seen in Eganville? At the same time, it's a long walk from Eganville back to Douglas down very rural, unlit roads ... would you really just leave a friend there - especially one who had been drinking - to continue on your way BACK through Douglas and on to the fair in Renfrew?

By the same token, if he was drunk and did attempt to walk back to Douglas … there's plenty of heavily wooded areas along the road that he could have wandered into to become hopelessly lost. There's also the Boncherre Caves - a Provincial Park with - obviously - caves, white-water rafting etc and not the average terrain along the way.

It just seems off. Way off.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Last edited:
All amazing points Vern! I'm glad there's someone near the area who can help us sort of visualize this! (I literally knew nothing about Canada until getting invested in this case but have learned so much!).

I agree with you on the sketchiness of his disappearance and find it interesting that the article noted foul play has always been suspected. It was mentioned that he got into an argument with "his company" that night and then never met back up with them?...??? I'm not sure if we are to take the word "company" as friends? Or newer acquaintances? Or old work pals? neighbors? or people he met for the first time that night? It's just so vague.

No matter who these "friends" are, their alibi seems like a cop out to me. I'm guessing the Renfew fair is pretty darn big isnt it? and without cell phones back then did they all really expect to be able to just easily meet back up with eachother amongst all of the crowds? I hope somewhere in the old case files the names of these people are still documented! Granted they are likely not around anymore it would still be interesting to see if any of them had some sort of ties to Alberta.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

But now I must share a BIG UPDATE!!!

I couple weekends ago I was able to get ahold of the nieces and nephews of John Begolo! (Thank you Facebook for existing) and found out a little more about his life. Poor guy was in a bad way after losing his first wife and then later his second wife AND his child. As a result it seems he started to drink away his sorrows and became a full blown alcoholic. At the time of his disappearance he wasn't working as he was in no position to. When he disappeared I think it was truly one of those times where you have no idea where he could have ended up or who he could have run into simply because of his lifestyle. It seemed like he did a lot of things on the fly as the one newspaper article described him as a drifter.

He was loved and missed by his family and they did in fact give interviews and stuff but most of the interviewing was done on tv so that's why there's not much to be found on the internet. I wish we could find the old tv clips but idk if that's possible. His nephew said the interview given by John's brother Jeno was given on a network called CHCH? I'm not sure if they may have archived footage or not though.

The family was a little bummed this came to light just a hair too late as John's 3 siblings have all just passed as of very recent and could have probably answered a lot more. The eldest nephew had last seen his uncle when he was about 14 so I'm surprised he remembered as much as he did!

But my biggest question before I was going to submit any of this as a possible lead was "Did John have a significant gap in his front teeth"? (Much like the teeth of Sam shows) and they were 99% sure that he did. They want to help in any way they can to find uncle John and lay him to rest so I was able to get ahold of the organizations I needed to hook them up with and I think they will hopefully be following up with them soon!

They are all very sweet and I want them to get closure but do worry about how painful this could be mentally if he turns out to be a match. Heck I don't even know the guy and now I feel more invested in finding him than I do identifying Sam at this point. I think they feel as strongly about the possibility of this as I, but we all have that one burning question..."How do you end up all the way in Alberta from Ontario?!?"

But some contributing factors are that authorities have always said they believed the victim was not from the area. That was justified even more so by the 800 dentists in that area that came up with nothing! That's a whole lot of dentists but I bet they didn't reach as far out as Ontario for records!

Something else I looked into was how common hitchhiking was back then and it was HUGE! Mostly with teens but adults would sometimes as well. Especially the drifter types.

Apparently it was also not unusual to try to hitchhike as far as you could go getting ride to ride across the Trans Canada Highway.

Last but not least I did a search on the Clark's Canada website to see where they currently all distribute their shoes to. Most stores could be ruled out as being established well after 1973 but I DID find a shoe store in St. Catherine's that has been in business since 1942 and is right in the immediate area John grew up. Its called The Boot Shop. I could NOT say the same for any shoe stores even moderately close to Tofield. That was just something I wanted to look into though I know the current locations may not reflect all of those in the past either.

I just hope that we are at a point in time where DNA can be matched super easy and fairly fast because out of the last few people suggested in here recently, I feel one of these guys has likely got to be a match!

Something seems off with the story from the friends Begolo was with that night. The article says they were in Douglas and were all going to the Renfrew Fair but made a stop at Eganville to go to a tavern first. At the tavern, they got into a spat and Begolo was last seen drinking there.

As I read that, I was like "why go to Eganville if you'regoing from Douglas to Renfrew? Eganville is the opposite direction and Renfrew has it's own taverns to go to … and a beer tent at the fair.

I live in Arnprior which is southwest of all three of the other locations - all on a direct route to here and a drive I've done numerous times. Furthest northwest is Eganville, drive 15 minutes southwest to Douglas, keep driving 15 minutes further southwest to Renfrew. From Renfrew, it's about 20 minutes to my place. Douglas is still very rural and was more-so back then. I know it's only a 15 minute drive in the opposite direction thn they were apparently heading, but why? There was no need to go there if one wanted a drink.

It makes me curious to know if it were only his 'friends' who he was with who last saw/reported him in Eganville to drink. Are there any independent and 'not involved' witnesses to him actually being seen in Eganville? At the same time, it's a long walk from Eganville back to Douglas down very rural, unlit roads ... would you really just leave a friend there - especially one who had been drinking - to continue on your way BACK through Douglas and on to the fair in Renfrew?

By the same token, if he was drunk and did attempt to walk back to Douglas … there's plenty of heavily wooded areas along the road that he could have wandered into to become hopelessly lost. There's also the Boncherre Caves - a Provincial Park with - obviously - caves, white-water rafting etc and not the average terrain along the way.

It just seems off. Way off.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

All amazing points Vern! I'm glad there's someone near the area who can help us sort of visualize this! (I literally knew nothing about Canada until getting invested in this case but have learned so much!).

I agree with you on the sketchiness of his disappearance and find it interesting that the article noted foul play has always been suspected. It was mentioned that he got into an argument with "his company" that night and then never met back up with them?...??? I'm not sure if we are to take the word "company" as friends? Or newer acquaintances? Or old work pals? neighbors? or people he met for the first time that night? It's just so vague.

No matter who these "friends" are, their alibi seems like a cop out to me. I'm guessing the Renfew fair is pretty darn big isnt it? and without cell phones back then did they all really expect to be able to just easily meet back up with eachother amongst all of the crowds? I hope somewhere in the old case files the names of these people are still documented! Granted they are likely not around anymore it would still be interesting to see if any of them had some sort of ties to Alberta.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Well the article that you linked would be from the Ottawa Citizen newspaper given that under the author we see "Citizen Valley writer" … That would be the writer who covered the news happening in the Ottawa Valley at the time for the Ottawa Citizen. The Citizen is still published.

I'm a girl in the Canadian Army and recall watching CHCH news during the 90s when I was stationed in Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Petawawa. It was out of Toronto and we had those converter boxes on our TVs way back then and I really don't know whether we still get that channel around here. I'll have a look for it later on the tele.

Renfrew is still not that big of a town - it's rural too, but it sees a lot of cottage country shoppers and shoppers from the valley region in general. The fair, back then, was the social event of the year for those parts. LOL. It's farmers, loggers, hunters. Hard working people. Conservative in their politics for the most part. very different from the Toronto/Niagara Region even today, but more-so back then.

The article also states that he was visiting "companions" in Douglas and "they" did a side trip to Eganville to drink. I take that as "they" being the companions from Douglas and they all went prior to heading back through Douglas on the way to the fair in Renfrew (without John). Policing in that area back then would have been by the OPP (Ontario provincial Police) or the RCMP - hard to say, but if they were given the same story, I have no doubt why they suspected foul play too … the geography and the 'reason' for the trip just doesn't make sense. It didn't make sense to me immediately upon me reading it. More on that in a bit.

But now I must share a BIG UPDATE!!!

I couple weekends ago I was able to get ahold of the nieces and nephews of John Begolo! (Thank you Facebook for existing) and found out a little more about his life. Poor guy was in a bad way after losing his first wife and then later his second wife AND his child. As a result it seems he started to drink away his sorrows and became a full blown alcoholic. At the time of his disappearance he wasn't working as he was in no position to. When he disappeared I think it was truly one of those times where you have no idea where he could have ended up or who he could have run into simply because of his lifestyle. It seemed like he did a lot of things on the fly as the one newspaper article described him as a drifter.

He was loved and missed by his family and they did in fact give interviews and stuff but most of the interviewing was done on tv so that's why there's not much to be found on the internet. I wish we could find the old tv clips but idk if that's possible. His nephew said the interview given by John's brother Jeno was given on a network called CHCH? I'm not sure if they may have archived footage or not though.

The family was a little bummed this came to light just a hair too late as John's 3 siblings have all just passed as of very recent and could have probably answered a lot more. The eldest nephew had last seen his uncle when he was about 14 so I'm surprised he remembered as much as he did!

But my biggest question before I was going to submit any of this as a possible lead was "Did John have a significant gap in his front teeth"? (Much like the teeth of Sam shows) and they were 99% sure that he did. They want to help in any way they can to find uncle John and lay him to rest so I was able to get ahold of the organizations I needed to hook them up with and I think they will hopefully be following up with them soon!

They are all very sweet and I want them to get closure but do worry about how painful this could be mentally if he turns out to be a match. Heck I don't even know the guy and now I feel more invested in finding him than I do identifying Sam at this point. I think they feel as strongly about the possibility of this as I, but we all have that one burning question..."How do you end up all the way in Alberta from Ontario?!?"

But some contributing factors are that authorities have always said they believed the victim was not from the area. That was justified even more so by the 800 dentists in that area that came up with nothing! That's a whole lot of dentists but I bet they didn't reach as far out as Ontario for records!

Something else I looked into was how common hitchhiking was back then and it was HUGE! Mostly with teens but adults would sometimes as well. Especially the drifter types.

Apparently it was also not unusual to try to hitchhike as far as you could go getting ride to ride across the Trans Canada Highway.

Last but not least I did a search on the Clark's Canada website to see where they currently all distribute their shoes to. Most stores could be ruled out as being established well after 1973 but I DID find a shoe store in St. Catherine's that has been in business since 1942 and is right in the immediate area John grew up. Its called The Boot Shop. I could NOT say the same for any shoe stores even moderately close to Tofield. That was just something I wanted to look into though I know the current locations may not reflect all of those in the past either.

I just hope that we are at a point in time where DNA can be matched super easy and fairly fast because out of the last few people suggested in here recently, I feel one of these guys has likely got to be a match!

Renfrew is right on the Trans-Canada. He once owned a trucking company before his grief and chosen coping mechanism caused him to lose that business. He would have been familiar with a lot of truckers I suspect. Did he perhaps hitch a ride westwards with one of them? Was one of his former drivers or a driver he knew amongst this group of 'companions' that he knew in Douglas? He knew someone there in order to visit there. Could a trucker have taken him out west thinking he was still in business and a man of means? Was that guy the last one to 'see' him in Eganville? Tortured him in an attempt to gain access to no-longer existent money? Trucking and rail - that's how we do coast to coast around here. One can take the drive through Ontario from Renfrew on the TCH, through Manitoba to just west of Winnipeg where you have a choice: continue on the TCH westwards to Calgary (it's a straight shot north from Calgary to Edmonton). OR, one can choose to take Hwy 16 (The Yellowhead) through Saskatoon, Lloydminster and on to Edmonton.

Tofield, where Sam was found, is south east of Edmonton on Hwy 14 (I've also driven the Edmonton/Wainwright route quite a few times for work purposes and had no clue that Sam existed or I'd have stopped in Tofield on the way through). It's not far from the city by any means. People have been making their way from the East to the great skies of Alberta looking for work for decades so I don't think it's out of the realm of the possible.

When I pull up Mr. Begolo on the Hamilton Police Service site (I believe the report was originally taken by the Niagara Region Police), the circumstances of his last been seen do NOT match the fair story. Does this mean that those records and that investigation and questioning of his 'companions' has been lost/forgotten about? That discrepancy concerns me. It's huge. It's two totally different geographical locations of "last seen" and circumstances the thereof.

BEGOLO, John | Hamilton Police Service

You've got me hooked on this one. I can't find links to anything about this guy at all. Just that Hamilton Police link and websleuths. Strange case indeed, but I think the superimposition of the photo on the skull is remarkable and that there just may be something to this.

Last edited:
Wasn’t CHCH tv Hamilton based? Google shows it is still up and producing content. Wonder how good their archives are?
CHCH was Hamilton based and is still in existence. They've undergone a few name changes over time, but always known as CHCH.. (such as just 'CH', and I remember something one time when they were calling themselves 'ON' or 'One' or something (??) Their news clips and such seem to disappear from the internet after awhile, even in much more recent cases. Not sure how one would/could access their archives?

CHCH-DT - Wikipedia

CHCH was Hamilton based and is still in existence. They've undergone a few name changes over time, but always known as CHCH.. (such as just 'CH', and I remember something one time when they were calling themselves 'ON' or 'One' or something (??) Their news clips and such seem to disappear from the internet after awhile, even in much more recent cases. Not sure how one would/could access their archives?

CHCH-DT - Wikipedia

Never thought to google it!! At least my mid-aged brain sensed it was from down that way somewhere and wasn't local to the Valley. I still haven't checked to see if it still airs in these parts.

WOW!! I came here to update everyone on the lead I had submitted, and I ran into an active new lead!!! I'm so excited!
This new lead sounds very promising, has it been reported to the authorities? Tofield RCMP is about to get news on my lead, so they might like a new one to look into!

As for my update, Rene Joseph Bruneau doesn't seem to be our John Doe. The RCMP officer I had given his name to just called me- he managed to get DNA from family members of Rene, and submitted them, and hasn't received a response. Apparently, the system is much like lab results here- if nothing comes up, you just don't get a call. That being said, Rene's DNA is now in the system, so if he did end up as a John Doe somewhere (heaven forbid), he might be identified some day!

Thank you for the update MorbidLace! He's one more person that can at least be ruled out which is more important than it probably seems.

You know I don't think I ever got around to sharing the full articles I was able to find with that 1 week trial of Newspapers.com. Here is the link to basically everything I could gather (and the comparisons I did and whatnot).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SuVCowyVLdP5gEVq8

Certain things add up so well but then sometimes I run into discrepancies. Age of course is quite a bit off. I wish I knew how accurate forensics were back then. And then of course the examiners suspicion on the aboriginal descent. I'm not sure if that can be confused with 100% Italian but I wish there was a way to find out.

But then every time I see the comparisons it's like I can so visualize it as him right down to the skull. Every curve and bump seems almost identical!

Another thing I thought of was if Sam WERE to be John, he would have been 5 years old in 1930. Which I think was one of the most prime years of The Great Depression (in Canada). I'm sure illness and malnutrition in children ran rampant.

Well let me know what you guys think of these articles. And if for any reason Sam turns out not to be John, I think John definitely deserves his own thread on Websleuths next!

I kind of wish we had a picture of Sam's body when he was pulled out of the septic tank. I want to see exactly what state his remains were in. The Tofield RCMP had to have taken pictures and the only people who can see them are people working on the case.

Last edited:
Did they ever rule out the possibility that “Sam” could be from outside of Canada?

Did they ever rule out the possibility that “Sam” could be from outside of Canada?
I think this is a strong possibility. His dentals were sent to 800 practitioners within the Alberta area as well as dental magazines that were distributed throughout Canada. They were never able to find a match. Medical examiners said he had signs of recent dental work, indicating he may have seen a dentist recently before he was killed. Maybe they should try sending his dentals to practitioners in the US to see if they can get a hit.

I think this is a strong possibility. His dentals were sent to 800 practitioners within the Alberta area as well as dental magazines that were distributed throughout Canada. They were never able to find a match. Medical examiners said he had signs of recent dental work, indicating he may have seen a dentist recently before he was killed. Maybe they should try sending his dentals to practitioners in the US to see if they can get a hit.

It would be helpful, if they did try to send his dental records to US practitioners to possibly get a hit. I doubt they would probably have something on him. Maybe he could have also possible he could of traveled to Canada from the US for the dental work.

Last edited:
24/11/19
Who killed 'Septic Tank Sam?'
RCMP found him April 13, 1977, in a 1.8-meter deep septic tank on land at an abandoned farmhouse. He was found rolled in a yellow bed sheet, which was tied with nylon rope.

house-septicSam.jpg

The abandoned farmhouse where the septic tank was and the victim’s body discovered
April 13, 1977. (Criminally Listed photo)
RCMP investigating the case described the murder as one of the most vindictive and sadistic they had ever seen.''

The autopsy by an Edmonton medical examiner confirmed the victim was tortured. The sexual mutilation was so severe it took the medical examiner several months to positively confirm that the body was that of a male.

His teeth and bones suggested he suffered from an unspecified illness at about the age of five.

According to RCMP, there wasn’t any evidence the victim was murdered on the property where his body was dumped.

SepticSam.jpg

RCMP composite drawing of the victim.
RCMP name the victim ‘Septic Tank Sam

RCMP investigators working on the murder back in 1977 named the unidentified victim Septic Tank Sam.

According to a missing person’s website (Government of Canada), Septic Tank Sam is believed to have been a laborer and likely wasn’t from Alberta.

He was either a Native or Caucasian and was about 26 to 32 years old. He was about five-foot-six with a medium build, had brown hair and weighed about 154 pounds.

At the time of his death, he was wearing a blue work shirt, grey T-shirt and blue jeans. He was wearing brown shoes that were an imitation Wallabee brand. During the time of his death, there were a lot of laborers working on the construction of power lines in the area.''

If anyone has information about this cold case they are asked to call Tofield RCMP at 780-662-3353.

The reference case number is 2012502446. Or, if you want to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Or go online to https://www.tipsubmit.com/webtipsstart.aspx.

Or email the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains at
canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca''

It would be very interesting if they could somehow make three or four 3D print outs of Sam's skull and then have several different forensic artists try their hand out at their own individual reconstructions. Then line them all up and see the similarities/differences.

My gosh they've already spent over a million on this case I'd just hate to see it go cold now! I'm still holding out hope.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet8vip
Back