CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cp24.com/news/police-ann...f-man-wanted-in-gas-and-dash-murder-1.2563569

rbbm.
"Police announce $25K reward for info leading to arrest of man wanted in 'gas and dash' murder"

" Police have announced a $25,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of a man wanted in the murder of an employee during the commission of a “gas and dash” theft in the city's Briar Hill neighbourhood exactly three years ago today.

On September 15, 2012, 44-year-old Jayesh Prajapati was struck and killed by a vehicle at a Shell gas station near Marlee and Roselawn avenues after he allegedly attempted to stop a man who was trying to drive away without paying his $112.85 bill.

Shortly after Prajapati was killed, police identified Max Edwin Tutiven, of Toronto, as a suspect in the case but to date they have been unable to locate him.

“We know that he has family back in Ecuador, we also know that he had associates in the Montreal area and around the border of Ontario and Quebec but we don’t know exactly where to focus at this point and that is why we are making this request,” Det. Sgt. Stacy Gallant told reporters on Tuesday. “We want to get this out to as many people as we can across the province, across Canada and even into Ecuador. The more places we can put his picture out, the better chance we have of taking him into custody."

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Toronto_cold_cases-10885.aspx

"Two years after the murder of Christopher Skinner, Toronto police have yet to find his killers, keeping the case on a growing list of cold cases affecting the city’s queer community.

Probably the most well known is the murder of Skinner, who was beaten and run over by an SUV on the way home from his sister’s birthday party two years ago, on Oct 18, 2009.

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-charge...inner-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-1.2595409

"Man charged in 2009 death of Christopher Skinner pleads guilty to manslaughter"

Given the fact that there is a new program (name?) looking at cold cases in Toronto (with one success announced last few days) I would wonder again if there is DNA available in the Mariam Peters case. Stabbed 16 times on subway steps....

Was 16.

Long time ago I know. I haven't thought about the case for a long time but one change for me, thinking about it now, is that more and more I think she knew him. I wonder if LE would have the time to interview friends she had, schoolmates, I guess family one last time.

I dont remember the case, heard about it on WS from Csolver's compilation. Apparently it was a big deal at the time with LE and media apparently thinking it was a random attack. But there is a lot to make that unlikely.

1. She was rarely downtown as I understand it was dropped off by her father at College visited Grandad walked down to either Dundas (though some reports named a different station.) Apparently it was a little used entrance. Does anyone know where this entrance was? I am wondering if it was the street behind the hospital? I note I think her father had a store nearby. So maybe she was in the area more than I might think. Did he have the store I think on Queen at the time? Did she ever work in it? I may be way off here going from memory I will delete if I find I strayed too far from any conceivable fact.

2. If random extraordinary there was no similar attack. Though the subway worker who saw him described extreme pallor which could mean time in jail, a mental institution, of course it could mean lots of other things. Like fear or anger.

3. Of course lots of strange cooincidences happen in life and in a big city. But the events that lead him and her to be right there at that time.....very weird. Almost but not quite impossible.

4. I floated this stray fact once before. Her family when she was younger may have lived on the street behind the plaza where Wendy Tedford and her friend were last seen alive. Of course so what unless there is some person some friend that links the two bizarre scenes. Because that is one thing they have in common despite the different method of murder ......that they were not typical homicides.

3. If the 16 times is correct not a media error is it significant.

4. From her self bio it is pretty tough to think of her at that age upsetting anyone that much.

(adding after looking at something online) It is from a blog so I will just restate:

It was St. Patrick Stn. because of this murder parts of St. Patrick and Queen’s Park Stn platform cross-overs were closed off, as well as the installation of the Museum Stn. cage

Another poster; it was at St. Andrew’s, not at St. Pat’s. Many blind spots were walled up (phone booths, etc) in various stations. The Museum cage is a vent shaft and could not be closed. It will eventually become a second exit from the station. ,

Me: if St. Andrew then it means she walked further than she needed to for whatever reason. Certainly there were no interesting shops en route.

rbbm

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/11/10/old-evidence-new-technology-leads-arrest-25-year-old-cold-case/

" The investigation into Parmar’s death is part of Project Never Give Up. Under that initiative, police are taking advantage of advancements in technology, especially DNA and fingerprint technology, to solve cold cases.

That’s what happened in Parmar’s case, but, detectives warn, not every case has evidence that can be re-examined.

Staff Insp. Greg McLane said that in other cases, “samples may be degraded thorugh the passage of time, or the collection method [used at the time] was not appropriate.”

McLane said that if a murder isn’t solved in three years, the homicide investigation is moved to the cold case team. While many cold cases have been reopened, tips from the public are still crucial, police said.

“We have a number of cases where we have the DNA of the person responsible, we just don’t have the name,” Gallant said."

thanks Dotr ok so Dad dropped her off at Finch subway not College for what it is worth

I think the mistake might have been to assume a random attack. If her Dads store was on Queen then of course the murder happened close to the store.

I wanted to drop in and say hi.

I don't remember Parmar's case, but I am so happy that his family will at least be getting some justice.

Project Never Give up is a great name for an amazing initiative. When cold cases are solved, not only is justice served, but future crimes are possibly prevented, too.

Going through all the GTA and Canadian cold cases, hopefully there will be more solved cases like this one.

I wanted to drop in and say hi.

I don't remember Parmar's case, but I am so happy that his family will at least be getting some justice.

Project Never Give up is a great name for an amazing initiative. When cold cases are solved, not only is justice served, but future crimes are possibly prevented, too.

Going through all the GTA and Canadian cold cases, hopefully there will be more solved cases like this one.

Hi, glad to see you and Chorley8 too!
Parmer is the first case solved by the new Project Never Give Up following close on the heels of the arrest in the murder of another gas station attendant in Toronto!
Posted about both cases in thread..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...sh-Prajapati-*ARREST*&p=12178081#post12178081

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/11/30/do-you-know-ken-toronto-police-are-looking-for-him.html

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/33423

Here is a pretty mysterious item that has made the news.

I wonder who this individual is, and who the missing person is/was. This disappearance happened decades ago.

It is strange that the police have a picture of this guy, and seem not to know who he was.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting DarkBlue, here is the thread- very unusual tactic, wonder who the potential missing person might be??
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...e-missing-person-info&p=12217588#post12217588
"Toronto LE seek help identifying "KEN" for poss. coldcase missing person info."

In regards to the murder of Gregory Knight: Is there a connection to the murders of Isha Cleverdon and Cheri Doucette? Knight was killed behind Scanty's strip club and the convicted murderer Carol Edwards was known to cruise the area (Club Epiphany and Scanty's were within a 1 minute drive). An abstract of the Toronto Star article about the murders of Cleverdon and Doucette is listed below (June 26, 2000).

"Carol Edwards, 35, has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first- degree murder in the April, 1998, slayings of Isha Cleverdon, 16, and Cheri Doucette, 15. Their bodies were found early on a Saturday morning behind a food warehouse on Champagne Dr., in the Dufferin St. and Finch Ave. W. area.

In the tape, Mike Davis is heard asking Edwards what he did Friday night. Edwards told the officer that he drove around by himself in his Firebird, passing by Club Epiphany on Arrow Rd. but not going inside.

Edwards agreed with Frank Armstrong that on that Saturday he washed a spot on the left breast of his suit jacket in a basin and hung the jacket up to dry on his balcony. Edwards also said he washed his pants by hand because he found some grease in the back."

Unless Carol Edwards had an accomplice, it seems unlikely the murder of Gregory Knight can be attributed to him, as this article shows.

Victim stabbed at least 20 times: [1 Edition]
Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 24 Jan 1999: 1.

oronto's latest murder victim was stabbed more than 20 times after being overpowered by two men behind a North York strip club.

The attack early Thursday on Gregory Wayne Knight occurred in full view of a security video camera at the rear of Scanty's, on Arrow Rd. near Weston Rd. and Highway 400.

Knight, of Wilson Ave., bled to death; he had also been kicked and beaten.

Detective Ken Taylor of Toronto's homicide squad said the killers caught the 22-year-old victim by surprise. Knight weighed 235 pounds and was described by friends as strong.

Knight had a minor record for drug dealing and police sources suggested drugs may have played a part in the killing.

Apart from the video, Taylor said police found something that he would only describe as a piece of evidence that should identify those responsible.

Police had thought Knight's car was missing but later discovered that the victim had taken it earlier to Thornhill to get an estimate for a paint job.

Unless Carol Edwards had an accomplice, it seems unlikely the murder of Gregory Knight can be attributed to him, as this article shows.

Victim stabbed at least 20 times: [1 Edition]
Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 24 Jan 1999: 1.

oronto's latest murder victim was stabbed more than 20 times after being overpowered by two men behind a North York strip club.

The attack early Thursday on Gregory Wayne Knight occurred in full view of a security video camera at the rear of Scanty's, on Arrow Rd. near Weston Rd. and Highway 400.

Knight, of Wilson Ave., bled to death; he had also been kicked and beaten.

Detective Ken Taylor of Toronto's homicide squad said the killers caught the 22-year-old victim by surprise. Knight weighed 235 pounds and was described by friends as strong.

Knight had a minor record for drug dealing and police sources suggested drugs may have played a part in the killing.

Apart from the video, Taylor said police found something that he would only describe as a piece of evidence that should identify those responsible.

Police had thought Knight's car was missing but later discovered that the victim had taken it earlier to Thornhill to get an estimate for a paint job.

June 03, 2010
"Doucette apologized in court to Batisse's emotionally-stricken family.

"Nothing I could possibly say could take away the pain that Jesse's family must endure. I hope one day they could find it in their hearts to forgive me. I'm sorry," said Doucette.

Outside court, Jesse's mom Ivy Batisse said Doucette "realizes he has to look in the mirror every day and know he took someone who was loved and was a friend to him.

"Just to hear him say, 'I'm sorry,' that's a first step," said Batisse.

Doucette's family was earlier devastated by violence as the murderer's older sister, Cheri Doucette, 15, and her friend Isha Cleverdon, 16, were slashed to death by Carol Edwards in April 1998. Doucette described his sister as "my best friend" who defended him against schoolyard bullies.

Edwards, now 45, was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2000 with no chance of parole for 25 years"
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/06/03/14250786.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...killing-toronto-businessman-returned-from-u-s

A man accused of killing Toronto philanthropist Paul Maasland has been extradited to Canada.

Todd Andrew Howley returned Thursday, and is now in custody at the Bracebridge OPP detachment.

Update to story.

BRACEBRIDGE - Toronto investor Paul Maasland loved to take risks, but when he met up with Oakville businessman Todd Howley, the risk cost him his life, a Crown attorney told a jury Monday.

Howley, 53, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the brutal killing of Maasland, who was beaten and found floating in the water in Bracebridge on Aug. 30, 2010 by a fisherman. His head and legs were wrapped in garbage bags and a large rope was around his torso.

“This was a planned and deliberate murder,” Crown attorney Mike Flossman said. “Todd Howley attacked Mr. Maasland and struck him repeatedly about the head and body until he was dead.”

Maasland, founder and CEO of Verdant Financial Partners Inc., was in the midst of an investment deal with Howley before he was murdered.

He was last seen the day before, heading off to a meeting with Howley. A nearby surveillance video shows Maasland’s blue Subaru at around 10 a.m. entering a warehouse where Howley worked. It left under the cover of darkness after midnight, but the Crown claims Maasland was already dead.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/01/25/oakville-businessman-killed-toronto-investor-crown-says

This is great news!

http://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-police-to-launch-website-dedicated-to-unsolved-homicides-1.2781183

Toronto police to launch website dedicated to unsolved homicides

The site contains information on investigations dating back to 1959, searchable by name or by year.

Users will also be able to find contact information for investigators in each of the cases.

More information on the site will be provided during a noon news conference led by Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders.

New Homicide cold-case website launched,
Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Broadcast time: 12:04
Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Homicide
416-808-7400

The Toronto Police Service is committed to utilizing technology to advance investigations and keep the public informed. Today, we are pleased to announce the launch of our cold-case website.

"We have taken the time to re-tool the web page to make it more interactive and informative," Chief Mark Saunders said. "We would encourage the public to go to the website and use social media to spread the word on the individual cases and people wanted for murder."

In the coming weeks, Homicide will be releasing short video clips via the website and social media in hopes of stimulating information on cold cases.

Three video appeals were released today:

Homicide #18/1987 - Most Wanted: Rosaleen Wallace

Homicide #34/2003 - Cassandra Do

Homicide #11/2010 - Nanthieashan Dharmaratnam

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/33996

Handy link, imo. posting for future reference.
http://www.leaderpost.com/mobile/ne...rder+attempted+murder/6806866/story.html?pg=1

Gallery: Story behind Canada's most wanted suspects for murder, attempted murder
Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back