CANADA Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Started thread.
CANADA - Helga Beer, 31, London, Ontario, 6 August 1968

Who killed Helga Beer? Time is running out to find her murderer
Aug 6 2018
"Michael Arntfield, an ex-city cop and cold case expert, recently dug into past homicides in the city using the case files of deceased OPP investigator Dennis Alsop. Alsop had investigated or amassed files on the investigations of many young victims killed the same year as Helga: 16-year-old Jacqueline Dunleavy, 9-year-old Frankie Jensen, 16-year-old Scott Leishman, 19-year-old Lynda White.

One of his thinner files was about Helga, even though her murder was being handled by the London police.

“What we see is a city that was fatigued, quite frankly,” says Arntfield, “terrified of the violence that was overcoming it.”

But where Dunleavy, Jensen, Leishman and White were “the city’s young, innocent … from good families, from good neighbourhoods,” he notes that Helga — “a swinging young divorcée” — was an outlier whose death generated little public sympathy.

Five decades later, her case is added to the stacks of others whose leads have gone cold.

“What was once front page news is long since forgotten,” Arntfield says, and “people’s names and their murders risk being lost to history.”

The National Institute of Justice’s working definition of a cold case is one in which “probative investigative leads have been exhausted.” By that definition, murder cases as fresh as two months can be lumped together with murder cases as old as Helga’s."
"Why downtown London in her own Volkswagen? Why Helga?"
rbbm.

Hi there :) I'm Vanessa Brown, the author of The Forest City Killer. Those investigating these crimes had been using UnsolvedCanada.ca as a main forum, but it 1. broke and 2. is down. If you are looking for threads that were lost, I have uploaded pdfs of some of the complete threads and you can access them at forestcitykiller dot com. I thought I'd post here and see if we can reactivate the conversation, because a lot of readers have been approaching me with questions and theories, and I thought we needed a place to talk about it. This old thread seemed like a good place to start, but if someone with more experience on Websleuths wants to set up threads for each of the unsolved cases, that would work too.

I am the author of The Forest City Killer (2019, ECW Press), a book about the unsolved murders in London, Ontario that occurred in the 1960's.

Previously, those of us sleuthing these possibly related cold cases used a platform called Unsolved Canada, but that site first broke, and is now down, and has become therefore unreliable even if it ever shows up again. For those looking to recover lost threads, I archived some of them in pdf format, and you can find them at www.forestcitykiller.com. I suggest we migrate the conversation here.

Since my book came out, I've been approached by many people wanting to ask questions and/or discuss the cases. I thought it would be good to start a thread on Websleuths for this reason.

The cases covered in the book include:

1966 - Georgia Jackson (Aylmer, Ontario)
1968 - Jacqueline Dunleavy, Frankie Jensen, Scott Leishman (Thorndale, Ontario), Helga Beer, Lynda White
1969 - Bruce Stapylton, Jackie English
1970 - Soraya O'Connell
1983 - Donna Awcock

Each of these cases probably merits their own thread, but I thought we could start with this one and let the conversation unfold. I'm here to answer questions about my specific research, but new leads are key. There are many other cases that merit exploration in this string of unsolved murders, and I believe they continue long into and after the 1980s. This evil, whether one person or two, I've dubbed the Forest City Killer, because the first thing you can do to make something less powerful in its evil is name it.

So, let's investigate the Forest City Killer and get this guy!

Hi there :) I'm Vanessa Brown, the author of The Forest City Killer. Those investigating these crimes had been using UnsolvedCanada.ca as a main forum, but it 1. broke and 2. is down. If you are looking for threads that were lost, I have uploaded pdfs of some of the complete threads and you can access them at forestcitykiller dot com. I thought I'd post here and see if we can reactivate the conversation, because a lot of readers have been approaching me with questions and theories, and I thought we needed a place to talk about it. This old thread seemed like a good place to start, but if someone with more experience on Websleuths wants to set up threads for each of the unsolved cases, that would work too.
Welcome to Ws lucysleuth!

New to this thread and have concentrated my focus on the case of Jacqueline Dunleavy who, as we know, was 16 when she tragically lost her life.I'm just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon an inquest that focussed on the group of males who found her body. I imagine they must have been interviewed by police because they were the ones who "discovered" her body. I have my suspicions about this and their actual involvement but am stonewalling each time I conduct a search on the web (which I imagine is down to the group's average age at the time of investigation). Again, this is all IMO.
Yes they were interviewed. Very unlikely suspects though imo.

Thanks Lucy. Unsolved Canada was a wonderful source of infomation.
I was involved, hands on, with some of these cases. I wonder if the families now know what happened and simply want to step back without disclosing their sources. Life is never simple.

I do agree that people need a place to talk about some of these cases. Many new observations and theories would be helpful.

@DSCrime Yes! I have watched all of these and spoken with Mike about the cases. Actually, we did an event together on Sunday :) I'm hoping we can dig up some new info.

What I'd really like to find out about is the DNA testing that was done with Project Angel in 2000 with London Police. They said they didn't have a report they could give me to read, but I'd like to know what methods of testing were used, and who was tested against which evidence?

It's my opinion that all of this work should be redone with new technology. I've also heard that some of the cases that I think are linked might have come up with different DNA profiles for perps, but I'd like to know how they identified that DNA as the perp's and not an officer on the scene or some other type of contamination?

New to this thread and have concentrated my focus on the case of Jacqueline Dunleavy who, as we know, was 16 when she tragically lost her life.I'm just wondering if anyone has stumbled upon an inquest that focussed on the group of males who found her body. I imagine they must have been interviewed by police because they were the ones who "discovered" her body. I have my suspicions about this and their actual involvement but am stonewalling each time I conduct a search on the web (which I imagine is down to the group's average age at the time of investigation). Again, this is all IMO.

Can you tell me what your suspicions are? I did a tonne of research on these three boys and, as far as I'm concerned, they aren't suspects at all. Can you tell me what would lead you to think they are? I'd honestly love to know. Is there something I don't know????? Tell me!

I remember a Toronto Star article from ages ago, showing a comprehensive listing of many of these unsolved homicides in Southwestern Ontario. If I get the chance I will look for it, or if anyone would like to take a look, it would be from the 90's, but it is worthwhile reading. It is hard to believe that there are so many unsolved killings in this area.

Thanks for transferring my posting, dotr, I was not even aware of this thread.

Also, a nod to the poster "RichKelly"; thanks for your poignant and insightful postings, and for your service. :)

The article series was by Nick Pron and John Duncanson. You can find it online with a Toronto Public Library card, but I have copies if you still want to see them.

jackie_english_scan.jpg

Jacqueline English, age 15.
Murdered October 1969, London, Ontario

LINK:

‘We deserve some answers’: sister of cold case victim Jackie English

The Forest City Killer: A Serial Murderer, a Cold-Case Sleuth, and a Search for Justice | Quill and Quire
QQ_Review_Oct-Brown_199781770415034.jpg

"In the 1960s, eight people – Jackie English, Jacqueline Dunleavy, Lynda White, Soraya O’Connell, Frankie Jensen, Scott Leishman, Helga Beer, and Bruce Stapylton – were murdered in and around the city of London, Ontario. To this day, no one has been brought to justice for these vicious crimes, but they haven’t been forgotten. In her new, densely packed work of true-crime reportage, Vanessa Brown sorts through personal and institutional memories, witness interviews, rumours, and hearsay to compile a truly impressive account of this dark chapter in the province’s history. Aided by access to the files of the late detective Dennis Alsop, who worked the cases, Brown tracks down new sources and acquires statements from people never interviewed at the time, asking hard questions of families and suspects alike.

True-crime aficionados will likely already be familiar with stories that cast London as a hunting ground for possibly multiple killers in the 1960s and ’70s. Situated equidistant from Detroit and Toronto, with travel made easy by the construction of a brand new highway, the small city became a locus for mid-century sexual homicides that left the Ontario Provincial Police and the London police stumped and haunted. Were they looking for an outsider? Or, worse, someone within their own community?

Brown contends that instead of assuming multiple perpetrators, police should have been looking for one individual, whom she dubs the Forest City Killer (in the vein of the notorious U.S. serial murderer known as the Golden State Killer). Brown believes this person is local, perhaps still alive, and that out-dated theories about victimology have resulted in confusion, sending various law enforcement agencies in too many erroneous directions. Brown gets into the weeds while delving into the case, taking detours to examine some shady characters who inhabit the periphery of English’s murder. (The disappearance of English is Brown’s touchstone for her exploration of the potential serial killings.)

Brown’s abilities as a researcher and storyteller are obvious. Using interviews, newspapers, archival photographs, and personal anecdotes, she lays out complicated and interwoven narratives clearly and concisely. She deftly addresses the reader’s morbid curiosity without degrading the victims – a real talent in the true-crime genre. And she conveys the emotional pain of families whose lives were forever changed by these events. Not just a sharp work of investigative journalism, The Forest City Killer is a poignant portrait of children and young people whose lives were cut short in horrific circumstances and a clarion call for long overdue justice. It is destined to become a classic of Canadian true crime."

While US citizens might consider Canada "this whole other country", it is a hard fact that London, Ontario is only a short drive across the river from Detroit, Michigan.

While many of these unsolved murders were being committed in and around London, a very similar string of murders were occurring in and around Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Michigan murders which were believed to be connected were referred (at the time) as "The Co-Ed Murders".

John Norman Collins was arrested in July 1969, and subsequently tried and convicted of the murder of Karen Sue Beineman, age 18. He was sentenced to Life in Prison and is in Marquette Prison, Michigan still. It was believed by many in Law Enforcement that Collins had murdered other young women and girls as well.

There were other murders of young women in the vicinity around that time which were attributed to at least four other killers, and there were yet other Michigan murders and disappearances from the era still unsolved.

Collins had two close friends who testified against him at his trial; Andrew Julian Manuel, Jr. (died 2012) and Arnold "Arne" Davis. Neither was charged in any of the Co-Ed Murders, but may have been involved in some or all of them.

Collins was originally from Canada, having been born in Windsor, Ontario in 1947. In the 1980's he attempted to work out a prison transfer to Canada in a scheme to be released from prison on parole. He had family contacts living in Kitchener, Ontario - only 66 miles up the road from London. Could he or any associates have been involved in the murders in London, Ontario?

Could any of the Serial Killers operating in London, Ontario in the late 1960's have also been operating in Michigan or other nearby states?

"The DNA evidence, combined with what Collins said in his prison interviews with detectives and what he wrote in never-before-published letters to his second cousin in Canada, refocused attention on Collins as a suspect in some of the unsolved cases."
'Handsome' EMU student was unlikely serial killer suspect. Letters, interviews reveal dark side.
Frank Witsil, Detroit Free Press Nov. 15, 2019
"News articles described John Collins as a square-jawed, "handsome All-American who seemed to be leading a textbook college career." He wrestled, played basketball, baseball, football and skied. He planned to become a teacher.

Collins graduated from St. Clement High, a Catholic school in Center Line. He went to Central Michigan University, then transferred to Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. In college, he drank beer, joined Theta Chi fraternity and dated often.

He also did some modeling, appearing in a bodybuilding magazine bare-chested with rippling muscles. And Collins loved motorcycles — a detail that later would come up at trial and decades later in the prison interviews with detectives.

At the time of his arrest, his high school girlfriend, Burnadetta Hudak, described Collins as polite with "manners galore," opening the door for a lady and standing when a woman or older person entered the room.

She also hinted he had another side: Collins was moody and seemed "mad most of the time."

"Chapman's theory: Collins was unhappy with his mother's marriage choices, blamed her for taking him away from his father, and took out his hatred for his mom on women like her: attractive, brunette, smart, independent and who rejected him."

The podcast, Jensen & Holes: The Murder Squad, just released an episode searching for clues about the so-called Forest City Killer. It includes the death of 15-year-old Jackie English, whose family marked the 50th anniversary of her disappearance in October.

Jensen spoke to London Morning from Los Angeles about why he's investigating and how he plans to do it.

What did you learn about the London case?

There was a 15-year-old girl named Jackie English in 1969. She went missing and her body was found in a creek five days later. There were signs of sexual assault. There was DNA, cause of death was blunt force trauma, and they still haven't solved that case.
jackie-english-headshot.jpg

Jackie English's family marked the 50th anniversary of her disappearance in October. (The English family)
That case opened up a pattern (to me) of how many people were being murdered in your city. And it really was considered, and this is something that I didn't even know until I was introduced to this case this year ... but London was considered sort of the serial killer capital of Canada.

What are the odds of finding the killer now, long after the murders?

I think the odds are pretty good.

It all depends on the evidence and how the evidence has been maintained. We know there were actually two semen samples, one was on her underwear which were found strewn on a highway ... if we were able to pull DNA from that and be able to use familial DNA the same way we were able to catch the Golden State killer, there's a good chance we can find this guy.

Just because this was so long ago, that doesn't make any difference. If the evidence has been maintained and if it's there, game on.

Have you been in contact with London police? Do they know that you are looking into this?

They do not know that I'm looking into this.

We're getting a lot of tips in.
I'm going to tell the police ... 'Listen I'll pay for this. The podcast will pay for this.' I never want to hear 'we don't have the resources to to run the DNA.'

We can get this done. We can do the genealogy. We never want to hear anything about that we don't have the funds in order to do it because, if it costs $10,000, it costs $10,000. We're able to do it. We're going to be able to get justice.

What have you learned about London in doing this?

There's a lot of remote areas to it ... there's a lot of forests. Whenever I'm looking at forests, I'm always thinking 'how many dead bodies are in that forest?' That's where my head goes.

When you have a place that's a lot of forest but you also have a city as well ... it gives a place for people to, if they want to do something really bad, it gives a place for them to deposit the bodies.

The idea how London had so many of these serial killers that were around at the time, there was something about what was going on in London.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/forest-city-killer-murder-squad-podcast-1.5364722

I am the author of The Forest City Killer (2019, ECW Press), a book about the unsolved murders in London, Ontario that occurred in the 1960's.

Previously, those of us sleuthing these possibly related cold cases used a platform called Unsolved Canada, but that site first broke, and is now down, and has become therefore unreliable even if it ever shows up again. For those looking to recover lost threads, I archived some of them in pdf format, and you can find them at www.forestcitykiller.com. I suggest we migrate the conversation here.

Since my book came out, I've been approached by many people wanting to ask questions and/or discuss the cases. I thought it would be good to start a thread on Websleuths for this reason.

The cases covered in the book include:

1966 - Georgia Jackson (Aylmer, Ontario)
1968 - Jacqueline Dunleavy, Frankie Jensen, Scott Leishman (Thorndale, Ontario), Helga Beer, Lynda White
1969 - Bruce Stapylton, Jackie English
1970 - Soraya O'Connell
1983 - Donna Awcock

Each of these cases probably merits their own thread, but I thought we could start with this one and let the conversation unfold. I'm here to answer questions about my specific research, but new leads are key. There are many other cases that merit exploration in this string of unsolved murders, and I believe they continue long into and after the 1980s. This evil, whether one person or two, I've dubbed the Forest City Killer, because the first thing you can do to make something less powerful in its evil is name it.

So, let's investigate the Forest City Killer and get this guy!
Oh wow. I came across this case by accident this morning. I thought it was so interesting, I wanted to start a thread for our Canadian friends. My search brought me here, so I posted before my battery ran out. Once I get it on the charger, I reread the previous posts in greater detail. I want to help and I see some of my favorite fellow sleuthers are already here. Yes, let’s do this. I’m in! How can we help? I just placed some advertising to get us started.

Last edited:
I will have to read the book. Thanks imstilla.grandma for directing me here. I don't live far from there and had never heard of these murders.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back