CANADA Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I try to start with the oldest stuff I can find and work back in on these old cases for fresh eyes.

Donna Awcock

Updated: July 31, 2013

“Money talks,” said Tammy Dennett, who’s fought tirelessly to keep her sister’s case alive.

This year, she pushed the Ontario Provincial Police to double the reward. She’s also plastered the new reward signs around East London.

“I just feel in my heart that someone out there knows. Someone must know,” she said Wednesday.

“She didn’t kill herself — someone did this to her and Donna deserves justice.”

“It’s never a closed case,” said OPP spokesperson David Rektor, adding the Ontario government put up the reward money to generate tips.

But it’s not the size of the reward that determines good tips, said Michael Scott, a law professor at the University of Wisconsin and former police officer. Old cases are more likely to be solved by technology and forensic evidence, he said.

“In many times there was some kind of a financial reward offered at the time, and that wasn’t enough to compel the person, so the offer of more money 30 years later doesn’t seem more likely,” he said.

“There’s always hope,” he said.

“Memories fade with prolonged time,” he said. “But on the other hand, people who have a bit of a guilty conscience — it might catch up with them in life.”

But Dennett, encouraged by interest the case has attracted since she started a Facebook page a few years ago, said $50,000 could be just the incentive someone needs. “I hope so. I want this person caught.”

Their father never recovered, said Dennett, and died about 10 years ago. Their mom still doesn’t want to talk about the case.

“My sister was raped and killed. That has changed everything about my family,” she said. “He killed us, too.

“I still have trust issues . . . I don’t know who did this to her. It could be my neighbour,” she said.

“To this day, I don’t go out in the dark.”
Tammy Dennett hopes a $50,000 reward will lead to the arrest of whoever killed her 17-year-old sister, Donna Awcock

I’m not sure of the most efficient way to post these. So I’m gonna paste the page link now to store here. You can click the + sign on each name for more specific info on each name. I’m not sure which names have individual pages and I’m not sure where to post - here or on the individual page.????
https://www.londonpolice.ca/en/about/Unsolved-Murders.aspx

I’m not sure of the most efficient way to post these. So I’m gonna paste the page link now to store here. You can click the + sign on each name for more specific info on each name. I’m not sure which names have individual pages and I’m not sure where to post - here or on the individual page.????
https://www.londonpolice.ca/en/about/Unsolved-Murders.aspx

I'd be happy if you'd post here. The fact that these are unsolved murders from a specific time and location let's us talk about them as a group.

I used to hitch-hike in London during those years, oblivious to the danger. If I remember correctly, there wasn't a feeling of alarm in the city. I wonder if that was just my perception, or if the murders received little public attention.

upload_2019-11-22_5-32-21.jpeg
OPP Const. Henry Harley Heal shows where Jackie English's shoes were found. English went missing in London in 1969. Her case remains unsolved but a U.S. crime podcast is hoping to figure it out. (Western University archives)

A popular American crime podcast is trying to get to the bottom of a string of unsolved London murders from the 1960s and early 70s.

The podcast, Jensen & Holes: The Murder Squad, just released an episode searching for clues about the so-called Forest City Killer. It includes the death of 15-year-old Jackie English, whose family marked the 50th anniversary of her disappearance in October.

The podcast is hosted by investigative journalist Billy Jensen and retired cold case investigator Paul Holes and features a new case each episode, most which are unsolved. For the London episode, the duo took inspiration from a new book called The Forest City Killer by local bookstore owner Vanessa Brown.

Jensen spoke to London Morning from Los Angeles about why he's investigating and how he plans to do it.

What did you learn about the London case?

There was a 15-year-old girl named Jackie English in 1969. She went missing and her body was found in a creek five days later. There were signs of sexual assault. There was DNA, cause of death was blunt force trauma, and they still haven't solved that case.

jackie-english-headshot.jpg

Jackie English's family marked the 50th anniversary of her disappearance in October. (The English family)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/forest-city-killer-murder-squad-podcast-1.5364722

"We’re not going away. We deserve some answers," Anne English-Cremers said after the airing Saturday of To Catch A Killer, which profiled her sister’s death.

"And the poor little kids that were killed certainly deserve that," she said, referring to the string of unsolved cold case murders in the London area during the 1960s and 1970s
‘We deserve some answers’: sister of cold case victim Jackie English

In a letter to London police chief Brad Duncan last fall, OPP Det. Insp. Tracy Dobbin said she was “unsettled” how London Const. Mike Arntfield, the brainchild of the series To Catch a Killer, was able to tell the sister of Jackie English three “accurate” names of persons of interest in the case involving the 15-year-old.

In the Oct. 30 letter, Dobbin — the OPP’s case manager for the homicide — also wrote she was “interested in obtaining the information and making an assessment of its value.” She requested “appropriate action.”
Did TV show share report with cops? OPP brass mum if force investigated `David?

In a cardboard box deep in the back corner of his basement, Dennis Alsop kept what could be the keys to solving some of London’s most troubling murder mysteries.

Nestled beside his Second World War memorabilia, the late OPP superintendent hid away a personal time capsule — memoirs and news clippings chronicling his best efforts to solve a string of horrifying, still-unsolved sex killings more than 40 years ago.

That discovery by Alsop’s son, after his father died in 2012, now has the potential to finally solve the murders in the late 1960s and early ’70s of at least three young women — Jackie English and Soraya O’Connell, both 15, and 19-year-old Lynda White — and maybe more.
Box of clues found in late cop’s home may help solve cold cases

Here is a chronological list of London, Ontario murder cases from the time frame. A few were considered "solved" but all deserve consideration as possible connections are researched.

I am sure that there are more in and around London, Ontario - and also a number across the Detroit River in Michigan which could be included in a list of possible connected cases.

-----------------------------
London Ontario murders:

1966 - Georgia Jackson (whose murder was solved) was found in a woodlot, not far from other related sites, and her clothes were found staged in the same areas.

January 1968 - Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, disappeared on her way home from work at a variety store. Her body was found less than 2 hours later a few miles from work, dumped in a parking lot in the northwest area of London. She had tissue stuffed down her throat, and had been strangled with her own scarf.

February 1968 - Frankie Jensen, 9, disappeared on his way to school only a couple of miles from where Jacqueline Dunleavy's body was found. His body was found a couple of months later in a river northeast of London, with his clothes 'disturbed'. He had tissue stuffed down his throat.

March 1968 - Scott Leishman, 15 or 16, disappeared while hitchhiking home near a village northeast of London (Thorndale). His body was found in the mouth of a creek, near Lake Erie, southeast of London. His pants were 'disturbed'.

30 September 1968 - Wanda Dekiel, 22, was murdered. She was found 1 October 1968 in a lane way. She had been strangled with her own scarf. She was described as petit. "Solved".

11 October 1968 - John Bortolon, 13, was last seen walking on Oliver road. His body was found about 3 weeks later in dense bush off a side road. He had been strangled. "Solved".

14 November 1968 - Lynda White, 19, a Western University student (from Burlington) in London Ontario, disappeared after writing an exam. Her skeletal remains were found many miles SW of London in Norfolk county on 9 May 1973. She was nude and in a very shallow grave.

7 June 1969 - Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, disappeared while playing outside his house in London. His body was found a few miles north of his London in a woodlot. Police could not determine the cause of death and there was no evidence of sexual assault.

4 October 1969 - Jackie English, 15, disappeared on her way home from work after being seen getting into a car on the London Wellington Road overpass at Highway 401. Her nude body was found in Big Otter Creek near Tillsonburg on 9 October 1969 and her clothes and personal belongings were found in various places south and southeast of London in Oxford and east Elgin Counties.

14 August 1970 - Soraya O'Connell, 15, disappeared while hitchhiking home from a community youth drop-in centre near Fanshawe Park Road and Highbury Ave. in London at 10 pm. Her body was found on 26 May 1974 outside Stratford, many mile east of London, under limbs and leaves.

4 March 1972 - Priscilla Merle, 21, was last seen getting into a car in London. Her dismembered body parts were found in various separate locations later.

13 October 1983 - Donna Jean Awcock, 17, of London, was last seen leaving a convenience store near her Cheyenne Avenue housing complex. Her strangled, partly clad body was found about 15 metres down an embankment overlooking Fanshawe Dam. She had been sexually assaulted. Link:

Donna Jean Awcock (1966-1983) - Find A Grave...

I've worked with many of these families in London and I just want to caution everyone again, that some of these cases may have been solved behind the scenes and that they want to 'close the books' for reasons that they are not willing to share.
There were clearly several serial killers operating in London Ontario in the 1960s and 1970s, and we need to know who the killers were and who the victims were. But I also understand that we will never have some of these answers in public.

My thoughts are with the victims' families.

I’m looking for some information that you can maybe help me with . On watching “To Catch a Killer” I was intrigued by the similar MO’s of the various slayings around the time of the Georgia Jackson killing . David Bodemer was convicted of the death of Georgia in 1972 . I’m sure I found a piece on Bodemer that revealed after his release in 1982 he immigrated to Scotland and changed his name . Can anyone confirm this as the case please ? Out of curiosity I checked all the unsolved murders since 1982 in the UK that fit the same pattern and have found 7 that could be similar ....... with 1 nearly exactly the same description as some of the murders detailed in London Ontario in the 60s early 70s

you guys may really be on to something here. 2 similar female victims, BOTH STRANGLED WITH THEIR OWN SCARF, no attempt to conceal either body. Followed shortly thereafter by murders of young boys where the bodies were concealed. All of this in Ontario in 1968. That would have to be a pretty big coincidence to not be related. MOO

Attachments

• C8586027-B035-44BA-BD80-ED6D34AF2B37.jpeg
    C8586027-B035-44BA-BD80-ED6D34AF2B37.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 26FDD131-1E96-47D9-BC65-E57869211696.jpeg
    26FDD131-1E96-47D9-BC65-E57869211696.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4D8DAE6A-A417-4545-9213-D7A7DD4ED82D.jpeg
    4D8DAE6A-A417-4545-9213-D7A7DD4ED82D.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 47F8A540-2726-4C76-A66E-DB63326BF35A.jpeg
    47F8A540-2726-4C76-A66E-DB63326BF35A.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 15
Here is a chronological list of London, Ontario murder cases from the time frame. A few were considered "solved" but all deserve consideration as possible connections are researched.

I am sure that there are more in and around London, Ontario - and also a number across the Detroit River in Michigan which could be included in a list of possible connected cases.

-----------------------------
London Ontario murders:

1966 - Georgia Jackson (whose murder was solved) was found in a woodlot, not far from other related sites, and her clothes were found staged in the same areas.

January 1968 - Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, disappeared on her way home from work at a variety store. Her body was found less than 2 hours later a few miles from work, dumped in a parking lot in the northwest area of London. She had tissue stuffed down her throat, and had been strangled with her own scarf.

February 1968 - Frankie Jensen, 9, disappeared on his way to school only a couple of miles from where Jacqueline Dunleavy's body was found. His body was found a couple of months later in a river northeast of London, with his clothes 'disturbed'. He had tissue stuffed down his throat.

March 1968 - Scott Leishman, 15 or 16, disappeared while hitchhiking home near a village northeast of London (Thorndale). His body was found in the mouth of a creek, near Lake Erie, southeast of London. His pants were 'disturbed'.

30 September 1968 - Wanda Dekiel, 22, was murdered. She was found 1 October 1968 in a lane way. She had been strangled with her own scarf. She was described as petit. "Solved".

11 October 1968 - John Bortolon, 13, was last seen walking on Oliver road. His body was found about 3 weeks later in dense bush off a side road. He had been strangled. "Solved".

14 November 1968 - Lynda White, 19, a Western University student (from Burlington) in London Ontario, disappeared after writing an exam. Her skeletal remains were found many miles SW of London in Norfolk county on 9 May 1973. She was nude and in a very shallow grave.

7 June 1969 - Robert Bruce Stapylton, 11, disappeared while playing outside his house in London. His body was found a few miles north of his London in a woodlot. Police could not determine the cause of death and there was no evidence of sexual assault.

4 October 1969 - Jackie English, 15, disappeared on her way home from work after being seen getting into a car on the London Wellington Road overpass at Highway 401. Her nude body was found in Big Otter Creek near Tillsonburg on 9 October 1969 and her clothes and personal belongings were found in various places south and southeast of London in Oxford and east Elgin Counties.

14 August 1970 - Soraya O'Connell, 15, disappeared while hitchhiking home from a community youth drop-in centre near Fanshawe Park Road and Highbury Ave. in London at 10 pm. Her body was found on 26 May 1974 outside Stratford, many mile east of London, under limbs and leaves.

4 March 1972 - Priscilla Merle, 21, was last seen getting into a car in London. Her dismembered body parts were found in various separate locations later.

13 October 1983 - Donna Jean Awcock, 17, of London, was last seen leaving a convenience store near her Cheyenne Avenue housing complex. Her strangled, partly clad body was found about 15 metres down an embankment overlooking Fanshawe Dam. She had been sexually assaulted. Link:

Donna Jean Awcock (1966-1983) - Find A Grave...
Strange that the killings stopped whilst someone was in jail from 1972 ......... then he supposedly moved away upon his release in 1982

I’m looking for some information that you can maybe help me with . On watching “To Catch a Killer” I was intrigued by the similar MO’s of the various slayings around the time of the Georgia Jackson killing . David Bodemer was convicted of the death of Georgia in 1972 . I’m sure I found a piece on Bodemer that revealed after his release in 1982 he immigrated to Scotland and changed his name . Can anyone confirm this as the case please ? Out of curiosity I checked all the unsolved murders since 1982 in the UK that fit the same pattern and have found 7 that could be similar ....... with 1 nearly exactly the same description as some of the murders detailed in London Ontario in the 60s early 70s
Welcome to Ws RobertBurns, intriguing theory and great moniker!
Reading excepts from this book and keeping an eye open for if/when, DB moved to Scotland.
Murder City
Also referenced in this book..
Nonfiction Book Review: The Forest City Killer: A Serial Murderer, ak Cold-Case Sleuth, and a Search for Justice by Vanessa Brown. ECW, $16.95 trade paper (352p) ISBN 978-1-77041-503-4
"After five years of research, Brown thinks there may have been two men who were “like-minded murderers”: David Bodemer, who confessed and was sentenced to life in prison for the non-capital murder of one of the seven victims, and Glen Fryer, who was acquitted on a charge of attacking a witness to one of the murders. Both men are currently alive. Brown thinks it’s possible that through message boards and true crime sites further facts may come to light, but the Forest City Killer case is still unsolved. Brown’s smooth prose is a plus"

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to the book yet as I was already reading another when I ordered it. Not much time right now for reading but will get to it. Then I will have something to discuss

I've worked with many of these families in London and I just want to caution everyone again, that some of these cases may have been solved behind the scenes and that they want to 'close the books' for reasons that they are not willing to share. ...

This all seems so questionable. I understand that families wouldn't want the murder of their loved ones to become fodder for media invasions, but to imply that the crimes were solved and the books closed, without sharing the reasons could legitimately be seen as nefarious.

@Snoopster, is there anything more that you can add to make me confident that justice was done?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe
Back