CANADA Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well I lied lol. I finished the book without making notes. When u go down the rabbit hole well.......u go down the rabbit hole. I think I need to re read the book and make notes. With holidays and the tired that goes with I'm sure there is a bit/much I didn't retain. Let me know what u think readers?

Can you tell me what your suspicions are? I did a tonne of research on these three boys and, as far as I'm concerned, they aren't suspects at all. Can you tell me what would lead you to think they are? I'd honestly love to know. Is there something I don't know????? Tell me!
You are correct, Vanessa. I asked Mike Arntfield one time if there was a possibility the three boys who found Jackie's body could have been responsible. He answered that they were never suspects because "they were just children".

It's 2020 and a new decade. Time to bring everyone back on board and let's get these cases solved. I'm new on Websleuths but I was an active poster on the Unsolved Canada site. Some of you might remember my name. I'd like to get to know all of you who have contributed valuable information and tips on this thread. We don't want it to dry up so let's start out by wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

I'm new here and found this forum after watching the W5 series "Death's Playground" which aired January 18 and is about these unsolved murders in London in the 60's and 70's and the possibility that the killer or killers could still be alive and free. I used to be a member in Unsolved Canada several years ago and hadn't realized that site is no longer operating.

I'm new here and found this forum after watching the W5 series "Death's Playground" which aired January 18 and is about these unsolved murders in London in the 60's and 70's and the possibility that the killer or killers could still be alive and free. I used to be a member in Unsolved Canada several years ago and hadn't realized that site is no longer operating.
Welcome, Buster. I think the W5 series will generate new interest in the London, Ontario murders and hopefully new members to this site. Like you, I was a member of the Unsolved Canada website and a regular poster. I'm sorry to say the site was taken down a couple of years ago and nobody seems to know why. Perhaps it was hacked and had to be disbanded to protect the identity of people like me who became part of the tapestry of Unsolved Canada. Here on Websleuths we have another venue for brainstorming and encouraging one another to fill in pieces of the puzzles. I personally believe many of the murders that happened in London, Ontario are completely solvable. It is our duty as mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters to keep the interest going so then the memory of these innocent victims will never die.

Saturday on CTV at 7pm, W5 investigates unsolved murders in London, Ontario that stretch back decades. Investigative correspondent Avery Haines travels to the university town to discover why it’s considered the ‘serial killer capital of Canada’.

Michael Arntfield is a former London, Ont. police officer who is now an associate professor at Western University. He founded the Cold Case Society at the university and has been studying the unsolved murders for years. Arntfield believes the crimes are the work of one, possibly two, serial killers who remain on the loose.

“The telltale markers are there. This has been peer reviewed internationally by the leading homicide scholars who say ‘what the hell happened here?’ Even an eight-year-old could figure this out,” he told W5.

The Ontario Provincial Police insist, despite the passage of time, that the cases are all technically still open, and while they cannot forensically link the murders, it is a “working theory” that one person may have committed more than one murder.

Murder city
The London, Ont. area has a disturbing history of being a serial killer hunting ground. Back in the 1960s and 70s, three separate serial killers with sensational nicknames were terrorizing the university town: the Chambermaid Slayer; the Mad Slasher and the Balcony Strangler.

Between them, they murdered 10 women in city that, at the time, had a population of about 200,000 people.
Unsolved murders in London, Ont. stretch back decades; may be the work of serial killers

Welcome to Ws galaxy girl and Busterbookworm, great to have you both here!!
W5: Investigating cold cases and killers in the "murder city"
•Jan 18, 2020
Thanks for posting this video, dotr. I just watched it again and it serves as a reminder of the horror that took place in London, Ontario in the sixties. If everyone watches Death's Playground and reads the books Murder City by Michael Arntfield and The Forest City Killer by Vanessa Brown we will all be knowledgeable enough to have some excellent discussions on this thread.

I was also a member of Unsolved Canada, and I live in London (but didn't grow up here). I was involved with a small group here in the city who worked extensively on these cases.

There were some wonderful, amazing, brilliant people who spent endless hours driving streets, looking at old maps, talking to friends/relatives, reviewing old articles and case transcripts, prodded LE (even though they were resistant), examining property deeds, looking at bus/rail schedules, etc. Much progress was made and the cases were brought to the attention of local citizens again. A couple of the cases were 'solved' to the satisfaction of the relatives. The key break was indeed the files of the original investigator, OPP Detective Sargent Dennis Alsop. He never gave up on these cases. He kept his files and passed them on to his son.

Of course, some of the cases have not been solved. Anne, Jackie English's sister, is still looking for answers. She has suspicions, based on what came out of the Alsop files, but still needs answers. She is a truly lovely person and my heart breaks for her. And along came Mike Arntfield, who has raised the profile of these cases even further through his course, book and TV shows. I am so glad that these cases continue to gain attention.

Hopefully those families who are waiting for answers will find their answers. They deserve it.

I was also a member of Unsolved Canada, and I live in London (but didn't grow up here). I was involved with a small group here in the city who worked extensively on these cases.

There were some wonderful, amazing, brilliant people who spent endless hours driving streets, looking at old maps, talking to friends/relatives, reviewing old articles and case transcripts, prodded LE (even though they were resistant), examining property deeds, looking at bus/rail schedules, etc. Much progress was made and the cases were brought to the attention of local citizens again. A couple of the cases were 'solved' to the satisfaction of the relatives. The key break was indeed the files of the original investigator, OPP Detective Sargent Dennis Alsop. He never gave up on these cases. He kept his files and passed them on to his son.

Of course, some of the cases have not been solved. Anne, Jackie English's sister, is still looking for answers. She has suspicions, based on what came out of the Alsop files, but still needs answers. She is a truly lovely person and my heart breaks for her. And along came Mike Arntfield, who has raised the profile of these cases even further through his course, book and TV shows. I am so glad that these cases continue to gain attention.

Hopefully those families who are waiting for answers will find their answers. They deserve it.
Snoopster, I know some of the group in London, Ontario and they did an amazing job of bringing the cases to the attention of local citizens again. You can be proud of yourself and that brilliant group. People from the Unsolved site like RK, Chicapee and Jes are a few who will always work hard to keep looking for answers. Is this the best thread to post on or do we have individual threads for some of the victims?

Snoopster, I know some of the group in London, Ontario and they did an amazing job of bringing the cases to the attention of local citizens again. You can be proud of yourself and that brilliant group. People from the Unsolved site like RK, Chicapee and Jes are a few who will always work hard to keep looking for answers. Is this the best thread to post on or do we have individual threads for some of the victims?

Don't be so humble galaxy girl! I remember you. You were instrumental in these cases...and definitely contributed more than me! thank you.

There are individual threads for most of these cases, but this thread seems to get the most traffic.
I posted many of them throughout this thread, but unlike many here, i have very little knowledge of the London area beyond the murders, and that it has produced one of Canada's finest actresses, Kate Nelligan! imo.

Has there been a colour coded map developed detailing unsolved murders across Ontario/Canada i.e female/male children, younger females/males, older females/males, last known location vs where found etc? I'm interested to know if there were clusters in different areas of the province/country after the London murders stopped.

Has there been a colour coded map developed detailing unsolved murders across Ontario/Canada i.e female/male children, younger females/males, older females/males, last known location vs where found etc? I'm interested to know if there were clusters in different areas of the province/country after the London murders stopped.

Hi Puppyraiser,
There were 2 murders in thunder bay in late 68 that were very similar to 2 of the London murders in early 68. I posted about them earlier in this thread. Please post if you find any other similar cases in Canada....I am very interested too.

Hi Puppyraiser,
There were 2 murders in thunder bay in late 68 that were very similar to 2 of the London murders in early 68. I posted about them earlier in this thread. Please post if you find any other similar cases in Canada....I am very interested too.
Bumping the post which referred to the Thunder Bay murders..
rsbm.
Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s
''I recently came across 2 cases from northern Ontario in late 1968 that seem eerily similar to the London murders in early 68. I have to wonder if they might be related. It has been difficult for me to find in depth info on the murder cases in Thunder Bay Ontario in 1968. This is what I have found:

Sept 30 1968. Wanda Dekiel was murdered. She was found on oct 1st in a lane way. She had been strangled with her own scarf. She was 22 years old but described as petit.
Oct 11th 1968. 13 year old John Bortolon was last seen walking on Oliver road. His body was found about 3 weeks later in dense bush off a side road. He was strangled.

John Raymond Lamont was charged with both murders. He was tried for murder of John Bortolon and found not guilty by reason of insanity. He was sent to Penetanguishene maximum security mental institution in 1969.

Both Wanda and Jacqueline Dunleavy were strangled with their own scarf. How common is that? The other striking similarity with the London cases is that the bodies of the females were left in the open to be found quickly, however the bodies of John, Frankie and Scott were hidden by their killer(s).

Does anyone think these cases could be related or am I reading too much into it? Have the police already investigated that avenue?''

I was a long time member of Unsolved Canada and was involved in the London unsolved murders threads. I was "Have Faith" on that forum. FYI, I finally emailed the owner of UC recently to ask what happened, and he said the site was broken and it would take thousands of dollars to fix it. Not sure why or how that happened, but I thought former UC members would like to know what he said.

I was a long time member of Unsolved Canada and was involved in the London unsolved murders threads. I was "Have Faith" on that forum. FYI, I finally emailed the owner of UC recently to ask what happened, and he said the site was broken and it would take thousands of dollars to fix it. Not sure why or how that happened, but I thought former UC members would like to know what he said.

Thank you for the update casesensitive. Unsolved was a wonderful place to share information on these cases. That's disappointing that it isn't operating anymore.
I was always impressed with the extensive information that was shared there. So many amazingly bright and caring people contributed.

April 21 2020 rbbm.
Star reporters finalists for Arthur Ellis crime writing awards
April 22, 2020
''Two Toronto Star reporters, Katie Daubs and Kevin Donovan, have both been shortlisted in the Best Nonfiction Crime Book category, Daubs for her book “The Missing Millionaire: The True Story of Ambrose Small and the City Obsessed with Finding Him” (McClelland & Stewart) and Donovan for “The Billionaire Murders” (Penguin Random House). Their co-finalists were Debra Komar for “The Court of Better Fiction” (Dundurn Press); Vanessa Brown for “The Forest City Killer” (ECW Press); and Charlotte Gray for “Murdered Midas” (HarperCollins).''

Aside from youth, I wonder if the victims had a connection?
Same church or dentist or family tax person or piano teacher or?
ONTARIO v. DAVID BODEMER was a 1971-72 Ontario Canada KIDNAPPING-RAPE-MURDER prosecution of a Jehovah's Witness Minister and father of five children, named David Bodemer, then age 27, of Kitchener, Ontario. Although David Bodemer confessed in late 1971 to the kidnapping-rape-murder to some of the Elders at the Aylmer, Ontario Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Bodemer pled "Not Guilty", and was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 1972. Tyically, in Canada, David Bodemer was released from prison in 1982. It is not known whether the currently PROMINENT Kitchener, Ontario JW Minister, "David Bodemer", is one and the same person, or possibly a son, or other relative.

In February 1966, Georgia Jane Jackson, a 20 year-old female member of the Aylmer, Ontario Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, went missing while walking home from work at the Aylmer Dairy Bar. David Bodemer, then age 21, and also a member of the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, participated in the "searches" for the missing fellow Jehovah's Witness. Georgia Jackson's corpse was not found until nearly a month later -- having been raped and smothered to death.

An interestingly part of this case is Dave Bodemer's confession. Dave Bodemer was employed as a sectionman by the Canadian National Railway. In 1970, the then 25 year-old Bodemer's secret criminal activities began to be publicly exposed. First, Bodemer was investigated by the police for theft and fencing of property stolen from CNR railcars. Shortly thereafter, Bodemer was arrested in Kitchener on charges of Breaking/Entering. That was followed by an arrest for Exhibitionism. All of these criminal activities resulted in multiple ongoing interactions with a "Judicial Committee" at the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. By Fall 1971, the Elders comprising Bodemer's Judicial Committee suspected that David Bodemer may have been the person who had raped and murdered Georgia Jackson back in 1966. Those Elders confronted David Bodemer with the WatchTower teaching that Armageddon was going to occur in October 1975. Bodemer was told that if he did rape and murder Jackson, and did not confess before Armageddon, that he too would be destroyed along with all other non-JWs. Bodemer confessed, and was disfellowshipped. Bodemer's confession was also reported to the police. Bodemer's arrest, prosecution, and conviction followed.

Interestingly, David Bodemer's father-in-law, Albert Crooker (daughter Elaine Crooker Bodemer), was the Congregation Servant of the Aylmer Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, but was demoted after Bodemer's arrest in January 1972. Critics claim that Crooker had covered for Bodemer for years with local law enforcement -- dating back to the initial police investigation of Georgia Jackson's murder in 1966 -- and that Crooker also had manipulated his fellow Elders at the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses until he could no longer do so due to Bodemer's well-publicized crime spree in 1971.

More interestingly, although Bert Crooker no longer controlled the Aylmer Body of Elders by 1973, when Daniel D'Haene's INCEST and child molestation was revealed to the Aylmer Congregation in 1973, D'Haene's crimes too were covered up by the Aylmer Congregation, and NOT REPORTED to police. Critics claim that given the recent BODEMER SCANDAL that there is no way in the world that the new Aylmer BOE would also have covered up this second D'HAENE SCANDAL unless they were directed to do so by the Legal Department of the WatchTower Society of Canada.Jehovah's Witness Crime Cases Page 5 of 5

ONTARIO v. DAVID BODEMER was a 1971-72 Ontario Canada KIDNAPPING-RAPE-MURDER prosecution of a Jehovah's Witness Minister and father of five children, named David Bodemer, then age 27, of Kitchener, Ontario. Although David Bodemer confessed in late 1971 to the kidnapping-rape-murder to some of the Elders at the Aylmer, Ontario Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Bodemer pled "Not Guilty", and was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 1972. Tyically, in Canada, David Bodemer was released from prison in 1982. It is not known whether the currently PROMINENT Kitchener, Ontario JW Minister, "David Bodemer", is one and the same person, or possibly a son, or other relative.

In February 1966, Georgia Jane Jackson, a 20 year-old female member of the Aylmer, Ontario Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, went missing while walking home from work at the Aylmer Dairy Bar. David Bodemer, then age 21, and also a member of the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, participated in the "searches" for the missing fellow Jehovah's Witness. Georgia Jackson's corpse was not found until nearly a month later -- having been raped and smothered to death.

An interestingly part of this case is Dave Bodemer's confession. Dave Bodemer was employed as a sectionman by the Canadian National Railway. In 1970, the then 25 year-old Bodemer's secret criminal activities began to be publicly exposed. First, Bodemer was investigated by the police for theft and fencing of property stolen from CNR railcars. Shortly thereafter, Bodemer was arrested in Kitchener on charges of Breaking/Entering. That was followed by an arrest for Exhibitionism. All of these criminal activities resulted in multiple ongoing interactions with a "Judicial Committee" at the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. By Fall 1971, the Elders comprising Bodemer's Judicial Committee suspected that David Bodemer may have been the person who had raped and murdered Georgia Jackson back in 1966. Those Elders confronted David Bodemer with the WatchTower teaching that Armageddon was going to occur in October 1975. Bodemer was told that if he did rape and murder Jackson, and did not confess before Armageddon, that he too would be destroyed along with all other non-JWs. Bodemer confessed, and was disfellowshipped. Bodemer's confession was also reported to the police. Bodemer's arrest, prosecution, and conviction followed.

Interestingly, David Bodemer's father-in-law, Albert Crooker (daughter Elaine Crooker Bodemer), was the Congregation Servant of the Aylmer Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, but was demoted after Bodemer's arrest in January 1972. Critics claim that Crooker had covered for Bodemer for years with local law enforcement -- dating back to the initial police investigation of Georgia Jackson's murder in 1966 -- and that Crooker also had manipulated his fellow Elders at the Aylmer Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses until he could no longer do so due to Bodemer's well-publicized crime spree in 1971.

More interestingly, although Bert Crooker no longer controlled the Aylmer Body of Elders by 1973, when Daniel D'Haene's INCEST and child molestation was revealed to the Aylmer Congregation in 1973, D'Haene's crimes too were covered up by the Aylmer Congregation, and NOT REPORTED to police. Critics claim that given the recent BODEMER SCANDAL that there is no way in the world that the new Aylmer BOE would also have covered up this second D'HAENE SCANDAL unless they were directed to do so by the Legal Department of the WatchTower Society of Canada.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67
Back