Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The issue of the bailiff’s access to the Judge’s chambers has always bothered me. I understand that he would have had access to ALMOST (IMO) area of the Courthouse, however, IME the Judge’s chambers are almost considered “sacred ground” with access only allowed by the Judge since a great deal of extremely confidential material may be within those walls.

I realize rules/restrictions may be less stringent in a small town where “everyone knows everyone”, but I still have trouble believing the bailiff had “unfettered” access to the Judge’s chambers after hours without the Judge being present or aware.

I am not saying the Judge knew and/or allowed access to the bailiff, but the whole scenario just seems “off”.

It also makes me wonder about the camera(s) in the chambers. When were they installed and why? Did the Judge and/or Sheriff know they were there? If the Judge knew they were there, was he able to activate/deactivate them or were they on a continuous loop? Was the audio always off or could that also be turned on/off by the Judge?

I can understand a camera(s) within the chambers WITH audio in the event of a discussion occurring between the Judge, attorneys, etc that needed to occur out of view of a jury, public, media, etc but which still needed to have a legal record. I just am having trouble wondering WHY there would be cameras recording on a “routine” basis.
Given the activity that occurred there previously, I can see why. Because there is no audio, I confidential conversations are not compromised. Guarantees something like that won’t ever happen in the future.

I am having a very hard time with the Sheriff being the bad guy. They voted for him. Next time I vote in a Sheriff I got a lot to think about. After all he is the face in public . Promising a protected county. I for real , am not sure if an appointed Judge who was forced to have camera's in his chambers.. is a victim . Honestly to me it seems every voter is a victim in this case. This should go on the permanent records of these guys. This case is not about their community and more about america , i feel . I can be dramatic as all get out.
They also voted for the judge, numerous times. He was appointed in 2009 ( I believe the sitting judge had died) and then elected in Nov. 2010. Prior to that he was the elected DA starting in 2001. The judge was reelected in 2022.

That's how it works when there is a judicial vacancy in Texas. There is a temporary appointment until the next general election is held. Likewise, if a sheriff dies in office or as in the case "retired" the position would also be appointed until the next general election. These positions are not eligible for special elections.

Kevin R. Mullins, 54, had been a district judge in Letcher County, Kentucky, for 15 years. Before that, he was a prosecutor in Letcher County, starting in 2001. The official title is assistant commonwealth’s attorney. He graduated from the University of Kentucky and the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville.

Mullins was appointed in 2009 by Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear and was elected in his own right a year later, according to The Mountain Eagle. He has been reelected ever since. Mullins’ death was confirmed by the current governor, Andy Beshear, son of Steve Beshear.

The is the sheriff's second term. He was first elected in 2018.

Last edited:
lol respectfully, I cannot stand the victim blaming which feels weirdly cultural in this case. It’s happening everywhere I look and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m waiting for more facts of actual wrongdoing before I denounce a murdered, elected city official.
Kentucky sheriff charged in killing of judge at courthouse
Stines survived ? I am confused. per normal.
appointed by former Gov. Steve Beshear in 2009 and elected the following year. K I am good now.

lol respectfully, I cannot stand the victim blaming which feels weirdly cultural in this case. It’s happening everywhere I look and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m waiting for more facts of actual wrongdoing before I denounce a murdered, elected city official.

Someone posted a great quote upthread about “good motive, still murder” and it fits this situation like a glove.
Even if the most far out motive speculations are true, nothing justifies this.

Or maybe we just make this kind of action legal and see how that goes?

Is that a cigarette in the judges hand?
Are all the cups for use as disposable ashtrays? I’ve seen this done with a little water in them. He has two cups in front of him. One coffee, one ashtray? Is that a silver-colored lighter as well? And a can of air freshener? The office almost looks like a hidden picture page…

Someone posted a great quote upthread about “good motive, still murder” and it fits this situation like a glove.
Even if the most far out motive speculations are true, nothing justifies this.

Or maybe we just make this kind of action legal and see how that goes?
It is a quote from brooklyn 9 9

A lot has been expressed regarding this sparse office space. I agree. It's incredibly small if this is the judge's permanent, main office. But, wasn't he meeting with four people in there just before he was killed? Only two chairs? No folding chairs against a wall? During cases, surely he meets with more than two people in chambers? It looks so temporary and cold.

Are all the cups for use as disposable ashtrays? I’ve seen this done with a little water in them. He has two cups in front of him. One coffee, one ashtray? Is that a silver-colored lighter as well? And a can of air freshener? The office almost looks like a hidden picture page…
Is the window open? I can't tell. Just wondering if he was okay with this crappy office because he knew he could sneak a cigarette now and then (if that's a cigarette).

There is also an upside down blue kind of sign propped against a desk next to the window.
That appears to be a campaign sign. Judge was re-elected in 2022. The sheriff was re-elected in 2022. (Sign looks nice and clean and unused)

Now in Texas judges are not supposed to be openly campaigning for other candidates and putting signs in their yard (except their own) but I don't know about KY.

Last edited:
The chambers do look bigger now that we see this whole view of it, but still look so temporary somehow, especially, because if I recall, the courthouse itself is very nicely done, nicer than many of us expected for such a small town courthouse, according to comments I remember reading on the video when the interior courtroom was first shown. Compared to the nicer courthouse, the chambers don't look like much, like not much thought went into the decoration or interior design (or lack of it).

I just had a thought. Could it be possible that this chambers we see in the video really is just a temporary room, because his actual chambers are sealed off at the moment, due to having been the scene of the crime in what is still, I believe, an ongoing investigation? That might make sense, but I still doubt it. I think it just looks like their interior design budget was spent mostly on the parts of the courthouse that more people (the public citizens) would see.

What is the yellow thing on the floor? It retracts under the desk when Stines fires the final shots in the video.
I thought it was Mullin's foot that started to extend outward, and then drew back in under the desk ?

Graphic :

While in his death throes ?
Omo.

I think a lot of what is being said about the Judge is, in a way, protecting ourselves from what seems so unfathomable. Many people may identify more with the Sheriff than with the Judge - completely aside from this incident. Most people are more likely to identify with the Sheriff as he seems like a regular guy, family man, well-liked & respected in the community.

The Judge may have all of these same qualities, but he doesn’t come across as much like a regular guy. And this is assumed by many because a judge is usually perceived as being more intelligent, powerful, priviledged, wealthy, etc - even if they are really “a regular guy”.

It’s hard to imagine that a “regular guy” - someone like us, someone we know or identify with, etc - would suddenly snap for no reason and execute his friend for 20 years! So we find a reason to blame the victim since if was THEIR fault they were a victim, then there’s a REASON we WON’T be a victim.

I am NOT saying this is right, fair, etc. But I can understand why victim-blaming is so unfortunately common.

The victim & his family.

1727932040431.jpeg1727932052611.jpeg
P.S. Saw this in the article & since we had mentioned the miner quilt hanging in Judge Mullins' office, here's a miner that knew him: "In 2008, Mullins officiated Randy Billiter’s wedding. The 61-year-old retired coal miner met the judge the previous year, and was struck by how kind he was. “He was always the type of guy that’d help you,” recalled Billiter. “If he could help you, he’d help you.”

I think a lot of what is being said about the Judge is, in a way, protecting ourselves from what seems so unfathomable. Many people may identify more with the Sheriff than with the Judge - completely aside from this incident. Most people are more likely to identify with the Sheriff as he seems like a regular guy, family man, well-liked & respected in the community.

The Judge may have all of these same qualities, but he doesn’t come across as much like a regular guy. And this is assumed by many because a judge is usually perceived as being more intelligent, powerful, priviledged, wealthy, etc - even if they are really “a regular guy”.

It’s hard to imagine that a “regular guy” - someone like us, someone we know or identify with, etc - would suddenly snap for no reason and execute his friend for 20 years! So we find a reason to blame the victim since if was THEIR fault they were a victim, then there’s a REASON we WON’T be a victim.

I am NOT saying this is right, fair, etc. But I can understand why victim-blaming is so unfortunately common.
So you're talking about personal bias affecting how people view the victim in this case. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back