Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone thinks he will 'follow their rules', good luck with that one!

Didn't he trash their place once before? The police were there fairly often until he went to Ottawa.

Bad call on the part of the judge, IMO

In one of the news reports it states that he cannot contact his victims or their relatives. The amount of money varies on who is reporting also.
One report states each parent must sign a $10,000 bond which makes bail $20K, doesn't it?? Then another states that JB also had to put up $10K??
Most state that his parents are his surety, so I will go with $20,000 bail.

Reading between the lines, his sexual assault vic was not his mother and AFAIK there were only two women in his life.

Bears10, I share your concerns. This is far too lenient IMO. Hope nothing else goes wrong. He didn't respect his parents help before, why would he now??

Im glad to hear that he is ordered to have no contact with victims or their families. Not like I believe he will abide, but I’m glad the judge at least ordered it. I would not be surprised if Caitlin and the kids are already at his parents house.

I agree that the judge was too lenient.

Poor woman is brainwashed imo.
Agreed, but their time apart while he was incarcerated could have helped. Also her own Father wasn't a Joshua fan, so he could also be influencing her. I am speculating of course, we dont even know if she is still living in the apartment in Ottawa.

Just my opinion, but I think Joshua could easily manipulate his Mother and be on the Internet all day. His Dad being a Judge himself, may take the responsibility of a surety more seriously.

Agreed, but their time apart while he was incarcerated could have helped. Also her own Father wasn't a Joshua fan, so he could also be influencing her. I am speculating of course, we dont even know if she is still living in the apartment in Ottawa.

I would love if that was the case. But sadly, I think she has a lot of issues to work through, and I feel like it could take years of therapy and a strong support system to work through all of this. She seems to have pushed away her parents imo. she is living in a foreign country where she does not have any family other than the Boyle’s. I hope she is in therapy but imo it seems more likely that she has just been “going through the motions” while waiting for josh to get out of jail. The fact that she and the kids are still in Canada says a lot to me. I get that there are probably legal issues with taking the kids out of the country, but I truly think both governments would work together to do what’s best for Caitlin and the kids (aka getting far, far away from JB), given the extreme circumstances.

She will get health insurance in Canada and what else?

Not much for her in the US

Not much for her in the US? Really? I mean her family lives here. She grew up here. That’s huge imo. Also, we’ve had the health insurance convo numerous times so I don’t feel like going down that road again, but there is plenty of info in the thread regarding what she could get in the US.

I would love if that was the case. But sadly, I think she has a lot of issues to work through, and I feel like it could take years of therapy and a strong support system to work through all of this. She seems to have pushed away her parents imo. she is living in a foreign country where she does not have any family other than the Boyle’s. I hope she is in therapy but imo it seems more likely that she has just been “going through the motions” while waiting for josh to get out of jail. The fact that she and the kids are still in Canada says a lot to me. I get that there are probably legal issues with taking the kids out of the country, but I truly think both governments would work together to do what’s best for Caitlin and the kids (aka getting far, far away from JB), given the extreme circumstances.

bbm I doubt that. Why would they? Joshua has his paternal rights and as long as he has those, there is no 'working together' from anyone. Not to say I agree with that, but I've lived that nightmare and have seen how these things work in reality. My ex-husband raped and molested our kids. He only got ten years. I had a super tough time getting sole custody even with him in prison, and even than was required to encourage and allow contact between him and the kids (who were terrified of him). The only way to keep them safe was move back to my home country (from the US). He couldn't stop that one, but we had built up our life in the US and we resent being in exile, basically. Criminals have too many rights. I have the sad feeling that unless they can strip Joshua of his paternal rights, Caitlin isn't going anywhere with the kids.

bbm I doubt that. Why would they? Joshua has his paternal rights and as long as he has those, there is no 'working together' from anyone. Not to say I agree with that, but I've lived that nightmare and have seen how these things work in reality. My ex-husband raped and molested our kids. He only got ten years. I had a super tough time getting sole custody even with him in prison, and even than was required to encourage and allow contact between him and the kids (who were terrified of him). The only way to keep them safe was move back to my home country (from the US). He couldn't stop that one, but we had built up our life in the US and we resent being in exile, basically. Criminals have too many rights. I have the sad feeling that unless they can strip Joshua of his paternal rights, Caitlin isn't going anywhere with the kids.

They were held captive in the Middle East. The kids were born there. I’m very sorry to hear what you went through. However I think the political aspect of this situation makes things a bit different. It’s like Caitlin is being held captive yet again, even if she doesn’t see it that way. I am sure she doesn’t even want to leave, but it’s very sad if she wanted to but couldn’t.

Eta - I reread your post and see that you said your ex can’t stop you from moving back to your home country. So I don’t see why you think that Caitlin wouldn’t be able to come back to the US?

They were held captive in the Middle East. The kids were born there. I’m very sorry to hear what you went through. However I think the political aspect of this situation makes things a bit different. It’s like Caitlin is being held captive yet again, even if she doesn’t see it that way. I am sure she doesn’t even want to leave, but it’s very sad if she wanted to but couldn’t.

Eta - I reread your post and see that you said your ex can’t stop you from moving back to your home country. So I don’t see why you think that Caitlin wouldn’t be able to come back to the US?

Because Joshua isn't convicted. I was able to go because my ex was actually convicted. Political or not, I don't think it'll make any difference, if they wanted to do so to help Caitlin they'd have done so already. Who would politically gain from helping her?

Because Joshua isn't convicted. I was able to go because my ex was actually convicted. Political or not, I don't think it'll make any difference, if they wanted to do so to help Caitlin they'd have done so already. Who would politically gain from helping her?

I don’t think she *wants* to be helped. If she reached out for help, then maybe someone would help.

That’s interesting that if a child’s parent is convicted of a crime the other parent can legally leave the country with the child. I was always under the impression that you need written, notarized consent.

I don’t think she *wants* to be helped. If she reached out for help, then maybe someone would help.

That’s interesting that if a child’s parent is convicted of a crime the other parent can legally leave the country with the child. I was always under the impression that you need written, notarized consent.

I didn't say you can legally leave the country with your child if the other parent is a convict.
I said *I* was able to. I needed permission from the court. Idk if that is always given, hence me pondering that this *may* be a reason why Caitlin couldn't leave Canada even if she wanted to. In my case, permission was given. Him being a convict and me having sole custody were two factors that played a part in the court's decision being what it was.

Not much for her in the US? Really? I mean her family lives here. She grew up here. That’s huge imo. Also, we’ve had the health insurance convo numerous times so I don’t feel like going down that road again, but there is plenty of info in the thread regarding what she could get in the US.

There is little safety net. Medicaid has been under attack, Check it out. She will have to work for food for food stamps. Medical care for those receiving TANIF is restricted as to what one can have,

Housing for those with no or little income is a huge issue.

Being poor in America is a nightmare. Look at the families living in cars, Why is that?

If she lives with her parents, their income is calculated in anything that she may be eligible for.

In Minnesota, although I do not know what the change is because this is from six years ago when I retired, a family of three got $423. That is for everything.

Even if one could find a fabulous apartment for $1000 a month, it does not matter. There is a cap on how much an apartment can ve rented for, It was something like $800 a month for a family of three,

Reactions: JDG
I didn't say you can legally leave the country with your child if the other parent is a convict.
I said *I* was able to. I needed permission from the court. Idk if that is always given, hence me pondering that this *may* be a reason why Caitlin couldn't leave Canada even if she wanted to. In my case, permission was given. Him being a convict and me having sole custody were two factors that played a part in the court's decision being what it was.

Gotcha. An ex doesn’t have to be in prison for the other parent to get a court order to take the children out of the country. that’s why I was confused by your phrasing; I thought you were saying he couldn’t stop you because his incarceration made him lose rights or something.

Reactions: JDG
This is info right from the govt on Medicaid.

How Medicaid Health Care Expansion Affects You

You’re taking the word “household” very literally. If her parents don’t claim her and the kids as dependents on their taxes, their income has nothing to do with whether or not Caitlin and the kids would be eligible. Just because they live in the same house doesn’t mean anything. I lived with my best friend, would her income effect my ability to receive aid? No. So why would living with her parents make Caitlin ineligible?

Who’s included in your household

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member