Casey and "The Shack"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The book is about a man who is on a vacation with his children, and two of them are flip a canoe and while he is saving them, someone kidnaps his daughter. They only find her bloddy dress, never her body. The killer leaves a "ladybug" stick pin at the kidnapp scene.
It is mostly a spiritual book about this father coming to find peace after the death of his daughter. It is a very good book. I am not quite through with it, but I just found it VERY weird seeing it on the shelf in Casey's closet. Then last night, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I read that passage.

Ladybug stick pin left by murderer at the scene, HEART STICKER on duct tape at scene, heart stickers all over KC's blogs. Hmmm.... KC's life is a big game to her. Playtime, in a different zone of reality.

ETA: I see that Edgar Allen Poe book also! There's some good stuff to quote for KC. I have that book, myself.

I really liked it!

Wow, can't believe this is being discussed; I am also reading this book and just by chance. I spotted it at the thrift store last week and thought it looked interesting. So I bought it and so far like it alot. And then to see that Casey also has and maybe read this book kind of creeps me out! I am just now at the part where the father has met God so I don't really know yet how Casey could be using this as "forgiveness", but I will certainly read it now with more interest. Very interesting!

The book is about a man who is on a vacation with his children, and two of them are flip a canoe and while he is saving them, someone kidnaps his daughter. They only find her bloddy dress, never her body. The killer leaves a "ladybug" stick pin at the kidnapp scene.
It is mostly a spiritual book about this father coming to find peace after the death of his daughter. It is a very good book. I am not quite through with it, but I just found it VERY weird seeing it on the shelf in Casey's closet. Then last night, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I read that passage.

This jumped out at me, so I bolded.
"They haven't even found her clothes yet."

GREAT FIND!! she did say " they did not even find the clothes yet" or something of that sort.the book refernce the comment of bloody clothes you mentioned in your post

If Machiavelli was a woman...The End Justifies the Means

Princess Machiavelli:

"Princesses who set little store by their word but have known how to over-reach men by their cunning have accomplished great things, and in the end got the better of those who trusted to honest dealing. The princess must be a lion, but she must also know how to play the fox. She who wishes to deceive will never fail to find willing dupes. The princess, in short, ought not to quit good courses if she can help it, but should know how to follow evil courses if she must.

A Princess must avoid being despised as well as being hated; therefore courage, wisdom and strength must be apparent in all her actions. Against such a one conspiracy is difficult. That princess is wise who devolves on others those matters that entail responsibility, and may therefore make her odious either to the nobles or to the commons, but reserves to herself the matters that relate to grace and favour."

(From: "Of Maintaining a Princedom" by Prince Machiavelli, modified to suit gender)

TripleA, you're a genius! LOL! "Princess Machiavelli" :) What's our little "Princess" cooking up right now, I wonder? Honk! Honk! The bus is coming....

I haven't read the book- so where was the bloody clothes found?

Has anyone read this book? "The Shack" I am in the process of reading it now. In the crime scene photos taken of Casey's bedroom, it shows an open closet/amoire and on the shelf is a copy of this book.
This book is a religious book about a child that is kidnapped and murdered.
It is also about God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
On pag. 125 of this book, there is a passage that reads...."It all sounds like THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, that to get what you want you will go to any length, even if it costs the lives of billions of people."

Remember in Casey journal....she wrote "I hopethe end justifies the means???"

Anyway, I have only posted here a few times, but I just found this interesting.

O/T...I hate those "thanks/groans" thingies...LOL

IIRC, Casey also said something during her interview to LE about the "go thru any length" to get/find Caylee.....where she mentions "even if she has to lie, cheat, steal" to get her back.
Basically, IMO, her whole life seems to be made up of little snippets of reality....but the majority from the content of novels she's read or movies/TV shows she's seen.

I noted and posted this on Feb 18 in the doc dump thread. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332256#post3332256

in the post I say I about went and bought it. However, I read up on some reviews such as this http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332256#post3332256 and decided that I just best stick with my bible. It has all I need.

Some say that it the book actual has a low regard for Scripture. My overall thoughts after reading the reviews is that if Casey read this book while out on bond then.. she thinks all she has to do is say " I believe and I forgive myself" and she is all good with God. IMO she is messed up enough to think if she gets the DP then she will go to heaven because God loves all and forgives all if we "only just believe or forgive ourselves." She doesn't think she actually has to confess to anyone else be forgiven. Putting her away with out the DP is a far greater punishment because she will have a long 70 years wasting away.

Whereas my belief, is that believing is not enough without good works and a reconcilation and confession to the sin. To deny responsibility to the sin but yet say "I believe in Jesus as my Savior" is not good enough. (We expect our own children to admit to mistakes, make up for them and work hard to not do them again.) I do not understand how a sick minded evil monster who does not feel remorse or guilt can go to heaven. Yet, I do believe if she confessed, and did nothing but good works for the entire sum of her life she would be forgiven. Only pure evil, would take the Word of God and misuse it for total selfishness.

I do not want to get into a religious discussion, which is another reason I held back starting this thread. However, I am glad that I am not the only one who had this topic circling around in my head.

IMO, between this very book and Casey's "right to remain" silence is the her complete shield and enabler that keeps her in complete denial that she actual did anything wrong and if she did.. she is "forgiven" since she has forgiven herself. I can see Casey sitting in jail right now thinking "Well, I read the bible, I believe and since I forgave myself.. I am good to go especially since I know a few good chosen quotes I tossed out over the jail house video."

For those that are interested here is another review:
http://hereiblog.com/2008/08/08/the-shack-review/

I think overall for a NORMAL person, this is probably a nice fictional heartwarming story but I would not let it override anything that is in the Scripture.

Beautifully written; and, I could not add nor detract from your response; IMO, of course. Wanted to acknowlege that I think you are right on.:clap:

Has anyone read this book? "The Shack" I am in the process of reading it now. In the crime scene photos taken of Casey's bedroom, it shows an open closet/amoire and on the shelf is a copy of this book.
On pag. 125 of this book, there is a passage that reads...."It all sounds like THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, that to get what you want you will go to any length, even if it costs the lives of billions of people."

I've read it a few times, it is such a good, Christian book. Anyone who would be inspired to murder from it would have a completely dark soul.

Isn't the journal from 2003?

:laugh::laugh:
TripleA, you're a genius! LOL! "Princess Machiavelli" :) What's our little "Princess" cooking up right now, I wonder? Honk! Honk! The bus is coming....

:laugh: Oh, yes, I'm sure that KC is not without precursors.

Very interesting and creepy. I have never heard of that book before, but wouldn't put it past Casey to copy something from it. I don't think she has an original thought in her head.

I need to read all these responses but what I know about "The Shack" is that it is a somewhat controversial FICTIONAL book. It is not a 'religious' book, it is Christian Fiction. It deals with the Trinity and how we look at God.

It was recommended to me to help me deal with grief/loss issues. I can't get past the first few pages because it is very moving.

My guess would be that KC was given this book after Caylee was reported missing by someone at a prayer vigil.

I need to read all these responses but what I know about "The Shack" is that it is a somewhat controversial FICTIONAL book. It is not a 'religious' book, it is Christian Fiction. It deals with the Trinity and how we look at God.

It was recommended to me to help me deal with grief/loss issues. I can't get past the first few pages because it is very moving.

My guess would be that KC was given this book after Caylee was reported missing by someone at a prayer vigil.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense she might have been given that book especially if it deals with grief.

ibyounger,
Not to get into a religious discussion but KC's parents have been attending a Baptist church. Baptists (along with other Protestants & Evangelicals) do not believe that you have to perform 'good works' or that you must confess your sins to another person (priest). Protestants believe that you just need to accept Jesus Christ int your heart and confess your sins to Him in order to go to heaven since He is the only one that can forgive your sins, no man can. I am NOT trying to start a religious discussion, just trying to state that there are different beliefs within the Christian community and KC's family does not attend Catholic services (at least that I am aware of).

Instantly of course thought of the sticker as being the ladybug...

I wonder if LE is aware of this book and that passage? I find it strange that the passage and the kidnapping are similar to KC's passage in her journal and the kidnapping story. Also the lady bug pin, like leaving a sticker.

Ditto...

That quote dates back many centuries.

very commom passage...frequently quoted.

Interesting quote about "The Shack" from Wikapedia:

The title of the book is a metaphor for “the house you build out of your own pain”, as Young explained in a telephone interview.[5] He also states to radio host talk show Drew Marshall that The Shack "is a metaphor for the places you get stuck, you get hurt, you get damaged...the thing where shame or hurt is centered."[

I wonder if Casey was a Wiki fan...that is an ironic coincidence to say the least...the house you built from your pain...hmmm...how fitting is THAT?

Melinda Duckett used the phrase "Machevellian Vigilante" as her myspace heading when Trenton disappeared.

As a result Machevelli and Machevelli's philosophy of "the end justifies the means" was discussed on websites and Nancy Grace a LOT in August 2006. I am pretty sure Casey and Cindy followed Trenton's case.

Lots of what Cindy said to explain Casey's behavior with LE were "what ifs" from sleuthers trying to come up with reasons why Melinda wouldn't cooperate with LE.

IMO

This would go to show (circumstancially of course!) she was familiar with the phrase in the timeframe just prior to Caylee's death and would show the diary writing is from recent times rather than 2003 as they are claiming...When did she GET the book is the ticket...Unless we know that one little detail, then we know nothing, unfortunately.

I don't think this book was "given" to her unless it was AFTER they found Caylee MURDERED cos prior to that the story doesn't apply..KC was sitting in a jail cell so CA would've been the one to receive it..Knowing CA as we do after inspecting it from cover to cover she would've beaten the HELL out it with her bat just like she did the CROSS in Caylee's memory.

All of this is why I believe KC bought this book herself & read it prior to Caylee even going missing!

The dress that was found in the book was found at the shack where Missy was supposedly murdered.
I bought this book when the pictures came out and read it. I really liked the book and it shows God a bit differently than what Catholics see him. More understanding and more like a Protestant may see him like another poster already posted. I thought there may be connections to the book but I honestly didn't see any - the ladybug is a stretch IMO.

I have a feeling that this may be the book that Michelle (?) dropped off at the jail but KC couldn't keep because it was against the rules. It would be fitting to give someone a book like this not because it is about murder but because it is about something tragic happening to a child and the parent doesn't understand how an everloving God would do this especially to a child. Something that I usually do is buy paperback because it is cheaper but this book that was in her closet was a hardcovered book and if I ever buy a hardcover it is to keep because I value it (or else it is on sale and cheaper than a soft cover) or to give as a gift. JMO

Umm... that is somewhat correct. However, I have heard Paul Young speak and have read the book. "The Shack" refers to our own pain/baggage that most have carried for years. The Shack itself was a metaphor, were Mac the main character went to deal with his loss/pain/unresolved childhood issues. I would bet someone sent Cindy that book thinking it would help her cope and deal with what was and is going on. I have to tell you the first couple chapters I cried my eyes out. If you are reading this book push through those chapters it is well worth it and it gets better!

WOW now that is super interesting...good find. When did this book come out??? Was it before 2003??

I don't know if this helps, but I came across this from a review I was reading about the book. This is a readers review, I do not attest to it's accuracy.

Introducing The Shack
A R E A D E R ’ s r e v i e w o f
The Shack is the unlikeliest of success stories. The first and
only book written by a salesman from Oregon, it was never
supposed to be published. William P. Young wrote the tale for
the benefit of his children and after its completion in 2005, it
was copied and bound at Kinko’s in time for him to give it to
his children for Christmas.
Shortly after he completed the book, Young showed the
manuscript to Wayne Jacobsen, a former pastor who had
begun a small publishing company. After the manuscript was
rejected by other publishers, Jacobsen and his co-publisher
Brad Cummings decided to publish it themselves under the
banner of Windblown Media.

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/a-review-of-the-shack-download-it-here.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV