Casey files for-Indigency; Defense reveals how much it's been paid!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but what consequences does Casey have to fear by not paying taxes?

Well, I'm sure the IRS would be ~very~ interested in those "future earnings" everyone is expecting from book and movie deals. Wouldn't it be a shame if the IRS got their hands on that anticipated windfall before Jose could grab his share? :D

This was a good article and explains the expense of indigent defense.

And according to this article, the precedence in Florida is that the judge can order a private practice attorney to defend THE indigent at a rate of $110/hr.

Let's put that in numbers: $110/hr * 40 hrs/week * 52 weeks = $228,800/yr

That's a pretty good salary for JB.

I'll have to read the article again to figure out whether the state pays for expenses, experts, and consultants. That would be in the millions for Florida. A state government whose indigent defense system is on the brink of bankrupcy.

Florida is going to have to find a new tax to cover CA's defense.

This isn't right to the good citizens of Florida. Their criminals are busting their justice system.

IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3c3TWWMJs

(excerpt from pp. 70 – 71 0f rough draft of deposition given by James Hoover to John Morgan on 3/25/2009 in the civil suit by Zenaida Gonzales against Casey Anthony)

9 Q In the course of your time spent here as a
10 public citizen volunteering, did you ever come to
11 understand that ABC news had given the Anthonys or José
12 Baez money?
13 A I didn't know that to be a fact, no, sir.
14 Q Have you heard that?
15 A I heard -- I had heard that -- oh, that money
16 was given to the Anthonys, no, no, sir.
17 Q To anyone?
18 A Uhm, I had heard that money had been given to
19 the attorney for some individual -- I don't know if it
20 was given to the attorney or to Casey for some videos
21 that was on ABC news.
22 Q José Baez received money?
23 A Yes, sir, I think so. I heard that. I don't
24 know for sure.
25 Q Hearsay?
Rough Draft - 71
1 A Yes, sir.
2 Q Was it 200,000 dollars? Was that number you
3 heard?
4 A 200 or 225. I heard both numbers.
5 Q Was paid to José Baez by ABC News?
6 A Yes, sir.
7 Q And what was your understanding that that
8 money was paid for?
9 A Some videotapes that were released.
10 Q Okay.
11 A Again, hearsay.
12 Q Of course. Who told you that?
13 A Dominic Casey.
14 Q Pretty good hearsay.

Well if, JB is only claiming 90,000 has been paid to him, LB = 22,000 . . .
Doing the math: 225,000 - 112,000 = 113,000 left.
So Casey is not indigent.
I guess, the question is: whose name is the 112,000 in?

But wouldn't this statement be hearsay :floorlaugh:

I'm speechless once again.

I guess LP can always donate funds.

If LP had not bonded her out in the first place, she would not have been able to supply JB with pics and videos. Therefore, JB wouldn't be in the picture at all . . . . CA would have been an indigent, CA would have a public defender, and either the trial would be finished by now, or a plea bargain in place.

In essence, LP should have stayed out of it.
JMO

Guess that is really the question I was posing earlier-I wonder if part of the $112K is paid to the order of the US Treasury, or if we can assume JB still has $112K left for the defense at this point.

May be way out in left field on this statement - but...I seriously doubt one cent of the $250k was paid in taxes. Taxing would have to do with who the payment was made to and the reason for the expenditure. I seriously doubt the entire fee would have been taxed as "taxable income". For instance, if it was paid directly to JB as pymt for use of licensed products (pictures) - it would be taxed differently (if at all) wouldn't it?

I truly believe they had the entire $250k to work with (and probably more). They paid out a whole lot of money to various experts(?), attorneys, etc. Heck - just Jose & Co's traveling road show expenses to be on all the networks and do their spinning acts had to be very expensive.

I'll hush now - this quickly turned into a rant. Sorry about that!

I hope the IRS decides to get their piece of the money. It is afterall, considered "income." I would have had to pay taxes on it. How about you?

If LP had not bonded her out in the first place, she would not have been able to supply JB with pics and videos. Therefore, JB wouldn't be in the picture at all . . . . CA would have been an indigent, CA would have a public defender, and either the trial would be finished by now, or a plea bargain in place.

In essence, LP should have stayed out of it.
JMO

The irony is pretty amazing there. I hadn't thought of it before, but Leonard inadvertently allowed her to fund her defense. Amazing.

Do we know if LBK is still working with the defense or is she covering her own costs plus working pro-bono?

IMO, the fact that LP bonded Casey out of jail did not make it easier for Casey to sell videos and photos. All Casey had to do was tell her mother or Baez, "go to my dresser or puter and there are videos and pics there that I want you to sell for me."

IMO, the fact that LP bonded Casey out of jail did not make it easier for Casey to sell videos and photos. All Casey had to do was tell her mother or Baez, "go to my dresser or puter and there are videos and pics there that I want you to sell for me."

I do not think that CA or GA would have given JB those photos at the time. They were expecting a free ride from everyone. They also wanted KC to have another attorney so I do not think JB felt he could have gotten the pictures from them. Then there would be a chance the A's would have kept the money and controlled it so JB had no control. LOL You just know CA would have wanted an accounting of every single penny. See how fast CA grabbed that money out of KC's wallet claiming it was stolen from her. So KC out on bail provided JB with the opportunity to keep control of the money and the A's were none the wiser believing that the money came from a generous person in Connecticut. JB knew what he was doing. Look, also, at how outraged the A's were that their PR man was making money off of pictures early on. In the A's dream world KC was being supported by some powerful person who truly believed in her innocence. Busted. We now know that was never true. JMO

03/08/2010 Affidavit of Insolvency/Indigency
Found Indigent

Here is a new entry posted just a short time ago on the Clerk of Courts records.

I do not think that CA or GA would have given JB those photos at the time. They were expecting a free ride from everyone. They also wanted KC to have another attorney so I do not think JB felt he could have gotten the pictures from them. Then there would be a chance the A's would have kept the money and controlled it so JB had no control. LOL You just know CA would have wanted an accounting of every single penny. See how fast CA grabbed that money out of KC's wallet claiming it was stolen from her. So KC out on bail provided JB with the opportunity to keep control of the money and the A's were none the wiser believing that the money came from a generous person in Connecticut. JB knew what he was doing. Look, also, at how outraged the A's were that their PR man was making money off of pictures early on. In the A's dream world KC was being supported by some powerful person who truly believed in her innocence. Busted. We now know that was never true. JMO

ITA - good points. And we all know how CA feels entitled to be in charge of everything from telling LE what to do, to slamming media for not proceeding the way she ordered, or blasting TM for daring to look for a deceased Caylee. CA has long been the sole support of that family and I'm sure feels she should make all the decisions, and that extends to everything surrounding this case.

Which makes me think that KC was squirreling pictures of Caylee away in that backpack when she went to JB's office. If LE removed photo albums from the house, I'm sure they will know about how many were pilfered.

Not only does she have to claim proceeds from the sale of pictures and videos to the IRS, but it is also considered as income. Therefore taxable at say the 30% rate. I hope the IRS, comes after her.

Well, if the IRS missed it on that round, they can always be on the lookout for JB's tax return. Any money he makes is considered income and is supposed to be reported.

SInce KC now claims she is indigent, to the courts, then the public defender should be assigned to her case. The people of The Great State of Florida should not have to pay legal fees for Jose Baez since he is a private practice attorney retained by Anthony at the time of her incarceration.
Indigent- filed in the court- Its time for the judge to appoint a public defender to take over the case.

I believe Casey's defense in the civil suit is being paid for by Cindy and George's homeowners' insurance carrier. Theoretically, the causes of action which might be based on unintentional negligence/negligent misrepresentation as opposed to malicious slander/intentional wrongful conduct might be covered by the homeowners' insurance policy. Thus the homeowners' insurance has a duty to defend its insured (since Casey was a legal occupant of the Anthony residence) in the civil lawsuit even if it ultimately has no duty to pay the claim/judgment.

Katprint
10+ years defending insurance claims
Always only my own opinions

Huh? Home owners insurance? Sheeze . . . I ought to get more out of my insurance. What else will home owners pay for?

I saw a copy of Casey's affidavit today. She alleges Baez was paid zero for the check fraud case. What is really sketchy about the affidavit is that Casey lists herself as the "source" of the funds.

I'm definitely going to report her earnings to the IRS. Income is income and the IRS is due about $60,000. Wonder if the state of Florida will cover that?

Moving this over here, to the proper topic!!

all I keep thinking at this point is, is that what 90,000.00 buys these days??? where is all this "evidence" of kc being innocent so that we can bask in the ahhha moment that jb promised & promised???????:waitasec:

This post-OJ notion of entitlement to high-profile, high priced, Dream Team defense for any criminal that gets lots of press time has gotta be nipped in the bud.

OJ Simpson had the money UP FRONT to pay for his renowned defense. Robert Blake had the money to pay for his defense...And Michael Jackson, and Phil Spector.

Does this mean KC should get any less advocacy than OJ? Not at all what I mean. A lawyer from a tiny firm in Kissimmee might do an absolutley perfect job. He could hire someone from Orlando that deals in PR, as you'd have to imagine their are PR pros throughout Orlando. Maybe he makes a name for himself in the long run, but his up front cost was reasonable for someone in KC's position. Frankly, at one time, this lawyer could have been Jose Baez.

$90K? Sounds more than fair for a client that can pay for it, but JB knew she could not from day one-So why put your services forth at that rate? Depending on the media to pay the bills, due again in part to the post-OJ era mentality, was a big miscalculation.

Then JB & KC decided that, with only a ball of pocket lint to spare, they would look to California to bring in their experts and co-counsel. ??
Granted, these individuals would jump at the chance, but did he ever talk cost with them? Thankfully, AL provided her services gratis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJane 55