Casey's appeal on the 4 charges of lying to police

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does this mean she can get compensation for the jail time she did because it should have been shorter (according the the appeals court findings), and is she still considered a felon or not? I'm confused.

Hmm...and I'm pretty vague on this - but for part of her jail term, she was held without bond because she was charged with felony murder, and part of her time in jail awaiting time was counted as the cheque fraud, so that wouldn't leave much time even for two counts of lying - what's a year's probation? Not a very serious penalty IMO.

So no - I don't think so but best to ask AZLawyer or LinTX who seems to be pretty up on Florida law.

They could, but risk having the higher court overturn the appeals court ruling and reinstate the original 4 convictions. She will always be a felon and someone that got away with murder.

Good point and the higher court could always just say - "Go Away" and consider yourself lucky!

You know what scares me? That Casey is going to do one interview (very soon) and then will be a no show for her civil trials. Casey is not going to answer anyone's questions on anyone else's terms except for her own. I honestly believe she will be a no show for the civil trials. I know this isn't the place for that discussion, but I wonder what penalty she would get for being a no show?

ETA: And ironically, I do not care that two of the counts were overturned. At least two still remain. She's still a convicted liar and thief. And she will always be known to have been someone who got away with murder... no matter what that jury said.

Well if she's a no show for her civil trials I think they will automatically award damages to every one who is suing her. I guess they could issue a bench warrant for her but why bother? I'm pretty sure ZG, Roy Kronk and Tim Miller just want the win and aren't really expecting to collect any $$$'s unless she starts earning by releasing a book or doing interviews.

So Jose - how are these appeal wins working for your new publicity campaign?

If she appears on TV and gives an interview, she and her civil lawyers will not be able to argue that her life is in danger and she shouldn't have to testify. This is a hollow victory for her, she has to face the music now, in civil court, with a much lower burden of proof.

Geez couldn't she just use the same bodyguards to appear in court as she did when she was first released on probation and her life was threatened by the post-it notes left on her door? :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Good point and the higher court could always just say - "Go Away" and consider yourself lucky!

I know that's what I'd say to her if I had the chance (after slapping her silly of course!) :D

Geez couldn't she just use the same bodyguards to appear in court as she did when she was first released on probation and her life was threatened by the post-it notes left on her door? :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

I ran here when I saw 2 over turned! My blood pressure started to rise so I knew to check here lol and see the truth!2 counts is okay!No matter what the court says she will always be FCA baby killer to me and my F ain't for just felon!

It's a very good thing!! Both the "handcuffed in custody in the car" incident and the Universal "in custody" appeals were denied -

And loosely - two of the Falsehoods were written and two were spoken and were pretty much the same thing so it did amount to double jeoprady - so considered duplicates.

So, the Appeals Court confirmed that FCA is a liar and lied about the details of Caylee's "disappearance".

And FCA can no longer use the 5th in the ZG case.

This is a very good day for Caylee supporters!! A very good day indeed!

And thank you LinTX for posting the ruling in the News thread.

Logicalgirl,
Welcome back!
Sure is good to see you fighting the fight again.

Well if she's a no show for her civil trials I think they will automatically award damages to every one who is suing her. I guess they could issue a bench warrant for her but why bother? I'm pretty sure ZG, Roy Kronk and Tim Miller just want the win and aren't really expecting to collect any $$$'s unless she starts earning by releasing a book or doing interviews.

So Jose - how are these appeal wins working for your new publicity campaign?

And wouldn't that be just like fca? Not showing up after all the time and money/wage losses her civil attorneys put in to defending her... She's used the system to hide behind all these years. That, and her family, and attorneys have coddled her and enabled her by letting her run and hide from anything that might make her uncomfortable... I would not be the slightest bit surprised if showed her gratitude to her pro bono attorneys by taking the cowardly way out. Not that they shouldn't of known better...

All jmo

And wouldn't that be just like fca? Not showing up after all the time and money/wage losses her civil attorneys put in to defending her... She's used the system to hide behind all these years. That, and her family, and attorneys have coddled her and enabled her by letting her run and hide from anything that might make her uncomfortable... I would not be the slightest bit surprised if showed her gratitude to her pro bono attorneys by taking the cowardly way out. Not that they shouldn't of known better...

All jmo

She already did that to that church that took her in, so I doubt she would feel any shame doing that to a lawyer.

I keep having a dream that the whole family goes on a vacation but this time they fly over the Bermuda triangle snatches them!Is it too much to ask that baez and cm take them with geraldos private little plane?Anyone know if he is a pilot?Hey a girl has to have some fantasies! lol

ETA a day dream not a night dream!

I keep having a dream that the whole family goes on a vacation but this time they fly over the Bermuda triangle snatches them!Is it too much to ask that baez and cm take them with geraldos private little plane?Anyone know if he is a pilot?Hey a girl has to have some fantasies! lol

ETA a day dream not a night dream!

THat weird lawyer from California (Todd M.) is.. he can take them!

Well it sounds like good news. Gee, I wonder if her "boyfriend Matt" has any thoughts on this.

All we can do now is hope and pray we don't get another Stan Strickland or Belvin Perry Jr. We need a judge who will not tolerate nonsense and take things seriously.

And she's walking the streets of my State. It's about time another State stepped in and took her. We've had enough. "It's not what your Country can do for you, but what YOU can do for your Country." So come on, all my non-Floridian's. Do something for your Country. Take Casey Anthony.

Heck, take the whole tribe! We'll throw in a bag of chips!

It's a very good thing!! Both the "handcuffed in custody in the car" incident and the Universal "in custody" appeals were denied -

And loosely - two of the Falsehoods were written and two were spoken and were pretty much the same thing so it did amount to double jeoprady - so considered duplicates.

So, the Appeals Court confirmed that FCA is a liar and lied about the details of Caylee's "disappearance".

I rushed over to WS after I read about this online and was about to blow a gasket until I read your logical synopsis, lg...now I feel better! If Team Morgan is happy, then I'm happy, too. :)

:seeya: Hi guys!

Why go to the trouble of flying them away?
Just let one of Florida's sinkholes settle the problem.

Seems reasonable to me. I agree, fwiw...it is a good day for Caylee supporters. The comment she allegedly made to Cheney when told of the news? I am not even going to dignify that with a remark. ;)

Just read the order (http://www.5dca.org/Opinions/Opin2013/012113/5D11-2357.op.pdf).

My thoughts:

1. They conclude that she was not entitled to Miranda warnings before talking to Yuri at the house. IMO this is correct and will not be overturned by the Florida Supreme Court.

2. They acknowledge that the discussion at Universal Studios "poses a closer question," but conclude that she was not entitled to Miranda warnings at that time either. I agree it is a close question. Under Florida case law, I think if it were anyone but Casey Anthony the Florida Supreme Court might disagree with the court of appeals decision. In this case, though, I think the Florida Supreme Court might say, "Forget it. We're not going to go out on a limb for her."

3. They conclude that Casey couldn't be convicted of four separate counts of lying to LE, but could be convicted of 2 counts because she had 2 separate interviews with Yuri. This is a good compromise and IMO will be upheld by the Florida Supreme Court.

4. They don't discuss at all the argument that the jury should have been instructed that any false info given to LE would have to be "material" to permit a conviction--they just reject that argument out of hand. This is actually a pretty good argument IMO, although Cheney Mason's team did a terrible job of briefing it (especially in the reply brief), so I'm not surprised the court didn't give it much thought. I wonder if they will do any better with their brief before the Florida Supreme Court?

Hmm...and I'm pretty vague on this - but for part of her jail term, she was held bond because she was charged with felony murder, and part of her time in jail awaiting time was counted as the cheque fraud, so that wouldn't leave much time even for two counts of lying - what's a year's probation? Not a very serious penalty IMO.

So no - I don't think so but best to ask AZLawyer or LinTX who seems to be pretty up on Florida law.

Probation was for the fraud charges, not for the lying convictions. THe only thing that can happen with this ruling is half the fine for lying will be dropped. It was $4,000 for the four counts; now it will be $2.000. Wasn't what she still owed something in the $4K range? Maybe that's why that amount wasn't paid--they figured all four convictions would be overturned and cancel out the full amount. I'm just guessing as I have not gone back now to see what amount was posted on the other thread about what was still owed. (But for some reason I recall it being around $4K.)

Just read the order (http://www.5dca.org/Opinions/Opin2013/012113/5D11-2357.op.pdf).

My thoughts:

1. They conclude that she was not entitled to Miranda warnings before talking to Yuri at the house. IMO this is correct and will not be overturned by the Florida Supreme Court.

2. They acknowledge that the discussion at Universal Studios "poses a closer question," but conclude that she was not entitled to Miranda warnings at that time either. I agree it is a close question. Under Florida case law, I think if it were anyone but Casey Anthony the Florida Supreme Court might disagree with the court of appeals decision. In this case, though, I think the Florida Supreme Court might say, "Forget it. We're not going to go out on a limb for her."

3. They conclude that Casey couldn't be convicted of four separate counts of lying to LE, but could be convicted of 2 counts because she had 2 separate interviews with Yuri. This is a good compromise and IMO will be upheld by the Florida Supreme Court.

4. They don't discuss at all the argument that the jury should have been instructed that any false info given to LE would have to be "material" to permit a conviction--they just reject that argument out of hand. This is actually a pretty good argument IMO, although Cheney Mason's team did a terrible job of briefing it (especially in the reply brief), so I'm not surprised the court didn't give it much thought. I wonder if they will do any better with their brief before the Florida Supreme Court?

#1 I'm glad to hear at least one conviction should not be overturned if they appeal this decision.

#2 I sure hope so.

#3 I thought it was a good compromise too.

#4 What does "material" mean?
Thanks.

Logicalgirl, you just saved my SANITY!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

What's funny is that I was on a Dylan Redwine thread at another site, and someone mentioned there was news about the *advertiser censored* today that made them angry, and I just knew they were talking about Casey, LOL.

I ran here when I saw 2 over turned! My blood pressure started to rise so I knew to check here lol and see the truth!2 counts is okay!No matter what the court says she will always be FCA baby killer to me and my F ain't for just felon!

LOL - Me too!! They probably heard my WWHHHHAAATTTT!!!! screech all the way to Florida, and then I gave myself a slap on the side of the head and came in and read the Decisions posted in The News.

The judges blew off her appeal of both the handcuff/no miranda incident and the Universal/prisoner of three huge armed cops (:floorlaugh:) and what else really mattered. So what if they decided the other two were duplicates? Still a "Court stamped" LIAR and a Felon!

I'm riding high today!!!! :skip: :skip: :skip:

Supreme Court Appeal Schmeall!! :great:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08